• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT4| The only subscription you need is this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BraXzy

99%!

2441702-0720251747-origi.gif

• Precision Adept Trait 5: This trait has been moved from Bloodtide Coast map completion to the defeat of Sharky the Destroyer in Arca Lake of the Harathi Hinterlands.
  • Precision Adept Trait 6: This trait has been moved from Fireheart Rise map completion to the defeat of Captain Jayne in the Brigantine Isles of Gendarran Fields.
  • Toughness Adept Trait 6: This trait has been moved from Iron Marches map completion to the defeat of the giant blood ooze in the Challdar Gorges of Bloodtide Coast.
  • Vitality Adept Trait 5: This trait has been moved from Timberline Falls map completion to the defeat of Gargantula, the spider broodmother in the Wynchona Woods of Harathi Hinterlands.
  • Vitality Adept Trait 6: This trait has been moved from Mount Maelstrom map completion to the defeat of the krait witch of Nonmoa Lake in Timberline Falls.
  • Profession Adept Trait 5: This trait has been moved from Sparkfly Fen map completion to the defeat of the Champion Ice Wurm at Venison Pass in Lornar’s Pass.
  • Profession Adept Trait 6: This trait has been moved from Frostgorge Sound map completion to the defeat of Lord Ignius the Eternal of Lornar’s Pass.
  • Profession Adept Trait 13: This trait is now awarded upon preventing the statue of Lyssa from being retaken by the Risen, as well as defeating the corrupted high priestess of Lyssa.

Good stuff.

Damn, I hope this content stays around for a while, because having to juggle both Queen's Pavilion and Cliffs is going to be hectic.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I'm pretty new to all the stuff in GW2, what was that "champion train"? I've read sometimes in the world chat people looking for "trains"
Basically, there are respawning "Champion"-level (gold border) mobs throughout many maps that provide a guaranteed bag with goodies inside including a bit of silver, crafting mats, very useful stuff for just making gold. They're still totally a thing- check out Frostgorge Sound and ask "if a train is up" and somebody will usually offer you a waypoint to "hop on." This just removed it from Queensdale- the human starting area and one of the most populous zones filled with new players- because as an introduction to the game proper it's quite poor, and created a bit of a toxic environment within what should be a relatively peaceful locale.
Good stuff.

Damn, I hope this content stays around for a while, because having to juggle both Queen's Pavilion and Cliffs is going to be hectic.
Great replacements... actually, I see mobs on that list I'm pretty sure I've never killed before. Hype!

I'm pretty new to all the stuff in GW2, what was that "champion train"? I've read sometimes in the world chat people looking for "trains"

In Queensdale specifically, people had a 'route' where they'd zerg from champ to champ to champ, repeating it all day, every day, and it became incredibly toxic because if new players, new to the game, killed a champ "out of order" they'd get shat on from on high. It was a dumb farm, all for grinding karma, experience, and minimal loot.

This change is being made to ensure new players focus on learning the core game experience.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

2WOocho.jpg

RealMeat

Banned
Where do people go to see the current good PVP builds? I don't think I PVP seriously enough to put together an optimal build on my own.

Where do people go to see the current good PVP builds? I don't think I PVP seriously enough to put together an optimal build on my own.

if you understand your class it shouldn't be hard to create your own build, just remember the stats you choose now in the build menu is all your stats, the armor and acc you have on now is just for show...

Moondrop

Banned
Interesting. I got my Warrior to 80 and fully geared a couple weeks ago, and I feel like its basically a worse version of the same thing as my Guardian, except with a nice AoE hammer stun. I'm running 5/6/3 shout heal PTV / PPF mix. I hit about the same as the Guard except with far less utility in my weapon skills and shouts.

That's the big thing right there actually - Warrior seems to have FAR less utility in WvW.

Staff / Hammer Guards have the best might stacking skill, the best blast finisher, excellent condi cleanse / healing, and two amazing CC's.

So yeah, I dont understand. Why do you think the Warrior is better?

We clearly evaluate the distinctions between Warrior and Guardian differently, but before I delve into them let me clarify that I don't think warriors are "better;" of course Staff/Hammer Guardians are great in WvW and ideally I'd have a frontline of 50% that and 50% hammer warrior. Now to quibble with your specific points:

Far less utility on my shouts? This will be our key point of disagreement, as I've mained warrior shout healer since release. Warrior can run trooper runes just as guardians, and given the shorter cooldowns, warrior is seemingly better for condi removal. As to the shouts themselves? The stability shout is clearly uber-amazing, but protection/regeneration is just ok and aegis/swiftness meh with those cooldowns. I'd rather give might/fury (For Great Justice!). But of course the major reason warrior shouts have more utility is Healing Shouts- my cleric warrior has 4 shouts providing >3k AoE healing each, which is much more valuable to me than group boons.

Far less utility on my weapon skills? Guardian's weapon skills have more obvious utility I guess, with stuff like Empower and Symbol of Swiftness. But warrior has the single greatest weapon skill between them, Earthshaker (so much so that I can't fathom why you would think guard hammer #2 is better- because of the low cooldown?). My hammer skills have more AoE to their CC in a zerg. And for my playstyle, mace/shield provides the defensive set I need to continue to achieve my true utility, pumping out healing shouts.

But ultimately I prefer warrior to guardian because I've never met a guardian in WvW whose teeth my cleric warrior couldn't kick in 1v1. ;)

EDIT: Oh yeah, warrior has warbanner. So I'm more survivable than a guardian, I put out more healing than a guardian, and I'm better at reviving my teammates than a guardian.

There really aren't a set stack of good builds, it all boils down to what kind of role you want to play, how you want to engage. Do you want to be a mobile point capture, do you want to be a bunker and deny others the capture, do you want to be a glass cannon that takes out the roamers, etc.

It'll take a bit of playing, but you should be able to identify what skills you want to equip after about 5 matches. Do you feel too slow, and you keep getting trapped? Pack some mobility and lock-breakers. Do you hate dying so much? Go full bunker, stack Vitality and Toughness and skills to mitigate damage, and so on.

It can be overwhelming at first, but good advice is to "play the matchup". Ignore the people behind the characters. If you're running along and a Mesmer engages you, think more about how your class is matching up versus theirs, at first - ignore the human behind it for now. After the fight, think about where you were strong, where they were weak, should you have run, should you have engaged, etc.

Lunar15

Hey guys, just thought I'd pop in and comment on how dead this gam-

Underground Facility Fractal
Based on the recent Collaborative Development Initiative (CDI), we’ve revisited the dredge factory fractal with intent to improve the overall experience. Too many dredge at high scales caused the play experience of this fractal to suffer both in terms of length and difficulty. With these two things in mind, we’ve redesigned a few core encounters in the instance to ease the burden of these symptoms.

slow-clap-gif.gif

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
anybody have a gif of a guy stewing with frustration and anticipation to the point of spontaneously combusting? :>

Moondrop

Banned
Blast Finisher:
Area Healing: Increased the culling priority on this combo’s effect. Reduced the size of the wave effect by 25%.

Gadgets can no longer be the target of stealth.
Can anyone decipher these notes?

Sigil of Water: Fixed a bug in which the superior and major versions of this sigil had a longer cooldown than intended. Fixed a bug that caused this sigil’s effect to be centered around the player with an incorrect radius, rather than around the target.
The greatest sigil will not be denied!

Entangle: Fixed a bug that prevented this skill from working with Survival of the Fittest.
That was all I was asking, thanks Anet.

Ranger pet special (F2) skills are now significantly more responsive.
I'm having the strangest sense of déjà vu...

BraXzy

This zone is beautiful. I'm loving this update and I've only just started getting into it.. The crystals hidden around are really fun to find. I keep falling to my death though which sucks, even though there are loads of safety nets haha.

I just managed to avoid finishing the Dolyak race because I air jumped over the line xD

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Can't wait til I get home... (though I sorta wish I could nap and play GW2 simultaneously while a third me pays attention to the playoffs)

Haven't touched it beyond logging in and seeing a couple of the Phoenix skins, but it seems to me like this patch is a pretty big win.

It was such a good idea to theme the release around this. It was such a nice surprise to have any of this set back in LA and see the beginnings of its reconstruction. It's a wholly sensible time for the humans in particular to celebrate with the Pavilion, the Zephyrites to lend a hand and some amusement, and for all citizens of Tyria to enjoy themselves a bit. I think there's a palpable energy out there now both in the in-game world and the community as we start to build momentum toward the season.
Players can travel to Labyrinthine Cliffs to partake in all of the fun and excitement of the festival by speaking to the transport facilitator in Lion’s Arch, or by hopping in a hot-air balloon in Divinity’s Reach.
Very clever- what's the status of Vigil Keep now? Everything still there for the moment?

At the Zephyr Sanctum...
  • Players can participate in an all-new scavenger hunt for sky crystals, with new, harder-to-access locations.
  • Two of the locals, Barkeep Ixcic and Trader Owens, have also put together two brand-new events designed to delight the entire bazaar!
Pretty great. I don't think there would have been too many complaints if the old sky crystal layout and only the old events/minigames were available, but brand-new stuff to do is just gravy. And how adorbs are those calves zomg

At the Crown Pavilion...
The faster players can slay the mighty champions, the greater the rewards. But beware! The champions are sharing the secrets of their training with each other. As each one is defeated, others increase their power!
This change to what was a mindless- if profitable- zerg before is possibly the most intriguing surprise in this patch. Here's a redditor's description:
So the bosses in the Queens PAvilion don't drop individual chests anymore. They are all part of the same event. The faster you kill them the better the rewards, since there is a gold.silver/bronze timer. So split up to avoid the massive scaling. You have to work together in different zergs to succeed.
And each boss get stronger when other bosses have been killed. The boss that's killed gives his abilities to the remaining bosses, so each fight gets harder.
Also the small mobs don't give rewards or xp anymore, it's all about the boss kills. Some adds are also invulnarble like a couple of groups of centaurs that just run you over. And look at the hits. Like use the bird seed at the ogere boss Shurak the Savage. If you don't, you'll get huge retaliation from the birds.
Sounds like something we might be able to run as a guild...
Earn a new title for defeating Liadri: “The Blazing Light”.
Why yes, that is enough motivation for me to murder her again. Hmmm... first new player to post a screenshot with this title equipped gets a quick 5g from me. :D

At the under-construction Lion's Arch...
Players can find that the bank and trading post have reestablished their services at the Canal Ward, flanking the exit to Gendarran Fields.
These commerce services have set up additional outlets for banking and trading at Fort Marriner as well as at the Eastern and Western Wards.
Crafting disciplines, along with the Mystic Forge, have been relocated to the Western Ward.
Fort Marriner and Postern Ward also have crafting services.
Guild services can be found at the Trader’s Forum.
The activities director can be found at the Grand Piazza.
Seems like now you can get to everything in LA again, but there are more "hanging out" options spread throughout the zone than there used to be. Eager to see what it looks like.

Throughout the event:
Participating in festival content will earn players festival tokens, which can be spent at the festival reward vendor in the Labyrinthine Cliffs for a wide array of returning rewards from the first season of Living World content.
Clever- any new players, I urge you to pursue all the home instance nodes if available! Gift of Sprockets, Gift of Candy Corn, Gift of Quartz.
Winning fights in the Queen’s Gauntlet will award players with Gauntlet Chances, which have a rare chance to drop a further set of rare returning rewards, such as a monocle from the Sky Pirates of Tyria. Furthermore, Gauntlet Chances have a very rare chance to drop a recipe for crafting the new Chaos of Lyssa ascended back piece.
IIiinteresting. Wonder what that backpiece is like.

The exclusive rewards, Baby Dolyak tonic/mini panda, one of which you can apparently get your choice of through the meta, are pretty awesome too.

In Fractals...

Dredge
Introduced a stealth mechanic: All players, regardless of profession, will now be able to acquire stealth to complete this puzzle. Beware the dredge security countermeasures!
Whoa, cool. Look forward to seeing this.
Rabsovich Encounter
Removed additional spawns as a requirement for completion of the event.
Perhaps the most-needed tweak. This alone could take the fractal from tedious to well-paced.

Rewards
Adjusted the drop rates for ascended weapon and armor boxes in higher-level fractals; drop rates now scale better with each fractal level.
Fascinating. This set of changes has reinvigorated my desire to get to the high-level fractals. Time to score some more AR!

Skill/balance stuff:
Great to see a batch of Engineer bug fixes, tons of skill fact adjustments to provide more info. Ranger F2 skills are significantly more responsive sounds great too.

Phoenix skins:
By and large I quite like these... though thematically that's no surprise ;)
I want the focus for my Guardian.

General:
Added two more achievements to the daily achievement category.
Just, forever? There are just two more regular old dailies available now every day? Anybody confirm?
Mission rewards are no longer limited to the triggering guild. All participants with the mission active will receive commendation rewards upon success.
Great fix. Since the megaserver introduction, this bug/change was confirmed within 5 days, and then fixed exactly one month later. I consider that a completely acceptable turnaround personally.
Upon success, participants from non-triggering guilds with the mission active will be prompted with the option of accepting mission success. This prompt is currently limited to guild members with “Mission Control” permissions.
Another good fix, though the fact it wasn't this way to begin with was just an oversight.

For those who are curious, the purpose of this prompt is to determine whether or not you want "another shot" for your guild or to co-opt the triggering guild's success. It can be very handy if not every member of GAF got their comms on the "first try."
Exotic dungeon-reward weapons and armor are now account bound on acquire and soulbound on use. This does not affect any weapons and armor players currently have, only newly created items.
A highly-requested tweak for accidental purchase of gear on the "wrong" character, though I'm sure they were disappointed they couldn't make it retroactive.
Champion train elimination and Adept Trait map completion removal
Nice little housekeeping stuff on things disproportionately affecting new players. Thumbs up!
Killstreak booster redesign
This is actually a fairly significant change for open world leveling, especially alts whom you can keep a few on at all times. Quite a nice boost.

There's more "new" here than I expected. Should be a very nice morsel until the season proper gets underway. And with the confirmation that more of it will be permanent than last season, this is basically prime time to be here as an active player.

Morokh

Not very impressed by the update so far, Pavillion is bound to be very random even when people get the hang of it
The gold rewards better be fabulous because the Bronze tier gives less than killing two separate champions.

It's a shame they seem to have removed the farming aspect out of it because it would have been a perfect thing to counter the effects of the bazaar on TP prices to some extent.

I have a feeling they also wanted to please the 'give us harder content' crowd, but I have the feeling this particular event may not have been the best for that.

Not a fan of the Sanctum so far either, it's pretty and all, but it's also a mess of a place, I couldn't even find the two NPC's related to the events.

Sanctum Sprint is well ... Sanctum Sprint, and as far as the aspect arena goes, getting one-shotted is basically all I could get accomplished.

I'll see how tomorrow goes I guess.

I'll see how tomorrow goes I guess.

Never judge a patch by the first day. Everyone's running around like headless chickens, zones are full of derps just derping. Give it a few days for the excitement to wear off, and for people to find a groove. Also, don't try to do everything on the first day.

Ceres

Banned
Download keeps hanging up. Got to 8mb in over 20 minutes and wouldn't go any further. Now at over 3mb and its sitting at 0kb/s

And that's just the initial launcher.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom