• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT4| The only subscription you need is this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Moondrop

Banned
I finally got to see how a "grandfathered" character to the new trait system would work. When my engi hit 30, I got one trait unit I could spend on any minor trait. I guess I'll get another at 36, and it appears I'll be able to pick any adept trait without unlocking. So basically the best of both worlds.

I have two grandfathered characters with the same model, an engi and a guardian. I just can't figure out when I would use a guardian over my warrior, so I gave PvP a try. Meditations are very useful but I still find the weapon skills a bit wonky. I got a transmutation charge though after my first hotjoin match.

CoffeeMan

did you guys see this yet?

JgDk5rq.png

Retro

I87wkLT.png

Mbm0v9c.png

Join ArenaNet president and co-founder Mike O’Brien and game director Colin Johanson for an exclusive sneak peek at what’s next in Guild Wars 2
and be among the first to hear how we’re setting up a new framework for how an MMO can grow its universe.

The Living World was just the beginning...

gSLNCFC.png

The livestream will begin with a pre-show at 10:00 a.m. CST (8:00 a.m. PST, 4:00 p.m. UTC) on the official Guild Wars 2 Twitch channel, hosted by
special guest Jennifer Hale (Voice Actress: Sylvari Female, Queen Jennah).

ArenaNet co-founder Mike O’Brien and Game Director Colin Johanson will then appear together at the "Guild Wars 2: Beyond the Point of No Return"
panel beginning at 10:30 a.m. CST (8:30 a.m. PST, 4:30 p.m. UTC) in the Main Theater at PAX South. This panel is expected to last 90 minutes.

After the presentation, the livestream will switch over to post-show commentary from Guild Wars 2 community personalities "MattVisual" and
"WoodenPotatoes". Other members of the GW2 community such as "AuroraPeachy", "Bog Otter", "Jebro", "Chronick", and some surprise guests
have also been invited provide their personal insights into the day’s events both before and after the presentation.

For EU territories, ArenaNet has arranged parallel livestreams in German with Honeyball and GuildNews.de , French with Ashuvidz and
Spanish with YukieKoori and GuildWars Update where fans will be able to follow the event in their native language.

Time remaining until Livestream begins:
t1422115200z2.png

7mZUjyG.png

Guild Wars 2's storyline involves the imminent reawakening of several ancient Elder Dragons, enormous creatures that devour magic and the various
races that use them. During the events of the Personal Story that shipped with the game at launch, players joined with a band of heroes known as Destiny's
Edge to face and eventually defeat the Elder Undead Dragon, Zhaitan.

Beginning in January of 2013, ArenaNet began the ambitious "Living World" in which new episodes of story-driven content were added to the game every
month (starting in May 2013, these episodes began release every two weeks).

The first Season of the Living World dealt primarily with a deranged Sylvari named Scarlet Briar who united various enemy factions into an army and used
their various magic and technology to further her own goals. Her main objective was to seek out and disrupt Ley Lines, streams of magical energy that flow
within the planet, directing the energy towards the slumbering Elder Dragons in an effort to awaken them early. When she discovered one of the main Ley
Lines passed beneath the city of Lion's Arch (the main hub city of the game), her army invaded and subsequently destroyed the city while Scarlet's massive
drilling platform dug into the earth beneath the city's inner harbor.

The season ended with the player killing Scarlet, but not before she was able to disrupt the Ley Line and redirect its energy deep into the western frontier
where Mordremoth, the Elder Jungle Dragon, stirred for the first time in over 10,000 years.

Season 2 began with an attack on the Zephyrites, a nomadic culture devoted to the teachings of Glint, a minor dragon who's Flameseeker Prophecies
defined much of the original Guild Wars Prophecies campaign. Their floating sanctuary crashed into the arid Maguuma Wastes, where players immediately
discovered both the origins of Scarlet's Madness and that the Zephyrites had inherited more than just Glint's wisdom. An unhatched dragon egg with the
potential to change the fight against the elder dragons was discovered in their care, though it was stolen by Caithe (one of the members of Destiny's Edge)
shortly thereafter. By tracking Caithe through the wilderness and experiencing visions of her past, players discovered that the Sylvari, one of the playable races,
are actually minions of Mordremoth who have retained their free will only by a twist of fate.

As the remaining members of Destiny's Edge lead a massive airship attack into the heart of the jungle, their Sylvari allies fall under control of the dragon and
betray them as the fleet is completely destroyed, the fate of several key characters unknown. This is where Heart of Thorns is expected to pick up...

DApEBjr.png

During this special weekend only you can pick up a copy of Guild Wars 2 for 75% off. That's $9.99 US, a ridiculously low price to pay for a game of this magnitude. The sale applies only to the Digital Heroic Edition and Digital
Deluxe Edition purchased through buy.guildwars2.com from 8:00 a.m. Pacific Time on January 24, 2015, through 11:59 p.m. Pacific Time on January 25, 2015.
Time Remaining for sale:
t1422258900z4.png

nTgM44x.png

"I only see the Heroic Edition, where's the regular game?"
The Heroic Edition replaced the basic version of the game about a year after launch.

"Should I buy the Digital Deluxe edition?"
Probably not. Most of the items it grants are either short term boosts or
cosmetic items and the special Elite skill is slightly below average in terms of usefulness.
If you decide you want those items later, you can always buy the Digital Deluxe upgrade in game.

If you want to spend extra money, you are better off buying gems (the in-game cash shop currency) for things like extra bank space, armor skins or convenience items.

"How much does it cost to play?"
Guild Wars 2 has no subscription fees; once you purchase the game you're free to spend as much or as little money as you'd like. Cash shop items are convenience or
cosmetic only, and in-game gold can be converted into the cash shop currency ("gems") so you're never forced to pay real money for any cash shop items you want to buy.

"Any advice for new players?"
Advice for new players here!

"Are there Oceanic Servers?"
There are not. However, several members of the guild from Australia and Southeast Asia report minimal latency issues when connecting to the North American Server.

"I bought the game and have played since _______, what's changed?"
A lot. Like a huge amount has happened in just the last few months. For a list of all the releases and a quick list of new features, see the wiki's Releases page.
Alternatively, you can scroll down to the second section of this post for just the major bullet points.

Is there a GAF Guild?
Yes, the GAF-based guild "Gaming Age Force [GAF] is quite active and has room for new and returning players. Anyone is free to join, including friends and family, though
we ask that potential members follow the guild's policies (which are basically just NeoGAF's rules on hate speech and trolling).

We're a fairly laid back group that doesn't focus on any particular part of the game; you're just as likely to see GAFers in World vs. World as you are doing dungeons or
world events. There is no pressure to attend any guild events and we have no rules on representation (you can belong to 5 guilds at once, but only "Represent" one at
a time; some guilds have mandatory representation for.... whatever reason.)

GAFGuild plays predominantly on the Stormbluff Isle server, but due to the game's network structure players from any North American server can jump between servers
without paying to transfer. EU players who are interested in playing with GAFGuild should know that we have several European players who report minimal latency when
playing on North American servers.

Does Evilore Play Guild Wars 2 yet?
No, Evilore still does not play Guild Wars 2.

I just can't figure out when I would use a guardian over my warrior, so I gave PvP a try. Meditations are very useful but I still find the weapon skills a bit wonky. I got a transmutation charge though after my first hotjoin match.

Try sword focus/greatsword on the guardian if you're wanting offense+movement. Sword teleport is insanely useful. Pop focus shield early, teleport, start smacking, and when that thing goes off thats a nice easy chunk of hp gone from the target. Overall I feel that a guardian can be far more useful in pvp than a warrior could ever hope to be, but I'm biased.

On PVP:

Having grown bored with the eotm train and only being casually interested in the greater WvW aspect of the game, I've finally started forcing myself to pvp on all of my classes (warr,ele,nec,guard), and, aside from the absurd randomness of pugging it, it's proving quite enjoyable and considerably more exciting than anything else in the game.

I'd like to take it a bit more seriously, though. Start organizing groups, testing builds in 1v1, having guildies teach each other how their builds can take other classes, map layout, how to roam or bunker, that sorta thing. Heck, even having a PvP power hour some day of the week, if people feel like it.

Anyone interested?

Taffer

I hope it's wrong just because I'm still hoping to see those half-built gates in the eastern ward lead somewhere cool rather than the racial capitals. The Asura there said it was TOP-SECRET.
That means cool shit, everyone knows this.

I hope it's wrong just because I'm still hoping to see those half-built gates in the eastern ward lead somewhere cool rather than the racial capitals. The Asura there said it was TOP-SECRET.
That means cool shit, everyone knows this.

Problem is, the original city gates are destroyed, so they need to repurpose the ones that weren't, I guess.

That dungeon entrance though. It taunts me.

Lunar15

I think that bringing back the Zephyrites in order to help LA is actually pretty damn clever. It explains how LA can be rebuilt, brings back a popular map, and actually fulfills the promise made at the end of the Bazaar between Kiel and the Zephyrites.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
did you guys see this yet?

JgDk5rq.png
I'm gonna go with hype. The new layout appears to meet my desperate hope as to "don't put everything back the way it was!"

Though Retro, I'm sure the dungeon entrance is just the Fractal gate. :)
On PVP:

Having grown bored with the eotm train and only being casually interested in the greater WvW aspect of the game, I've finally started forcing myself to pvp on all of my classes (warr,ele,nec,guard), and, aside from the absurd randomness of pugging it, it's proving quite enjoyable and considerably more exciting than anything else in the game.

I'd like to take it a bit more seriously, though. Start organizing groups, testing builds in 1v1, having guildies teach each other how their builds can take other classes, map layout, how to roam or bunker, that sorta thing. Heck, even having a PvP power hour some day of the week, if people feel like it.

Anyone interested?
Yes. I've been getting most or all of my daily in PvP (and working on the Balthazar track) in Solo Queue for the past few nights and it is a blast. I'm not interested in taking it too seriously, but certainly putting some strategy to approaching the maps and choosing a build to play based on our group makeup would be fun.

Yes. I've been getting most or all of my daily in PvP (and working on the Balthazar track) in Solo Queue for the past few nights and it is a blast. I'm not interested in taking it too seriously, but certainly putting some strategy to approaching the maps and choosing a build to play based on our group makeup would be fun.

Oh yes, nothing approaching teh hardcorez, just things like how knowing a class and being used to it considerably increases your odds of winning or surviving against that class. For example, if I see a GS warrior coming my way, I~ve a pretty good idea of when they're gonna pop Hundred Swords, and can strategize accordingly. Same thing if the warr pulls out a hammer, I'm well aware that its time to either get ready to dodge or pop stability, and similar scenarios happen against necro and guardian.

If, however, I run into a thief, engie, mesmer or ranger, my effectiveness is immensely reduced then and there simply by virtue of not being familiar with the class, and that, well, that can be solved by 1v1ing guildies and having a nice back and forth.

That'd be the primary goal, acquainting people with pvp. After that, start delving into group synergy and whatnot.

Does anyone wanna play sPvP at some point?

I need a bunch of guys to wreck a new Quaggan breathing hole in our enemies, only they will squirt blood instead oxygen. But it won't be oxidized blood, because then it will hurt more, and they can't breathe, ha!

BraXzy

When is the update coming out? I want to gooo nowwww!

Anyone who wants to tag along with someone new to it feel free.. hopefully most of us are on at the same time.

Moondrop

Banned
Try sword focus/greatsword on the guardian if you're wanting offense+movement. Sword teleport is insanely useful. Pop focus shield early, teleport, start smacking, and when that thing goes off thats a nice easy chunk of hp gone from the target. Overall I feel that a guardian can be far more useful in pvp than a warrior could ever hope to be, but I'm biased.

I didn't explain myself well- I don't know when I would take a guardian over my warrior main into WvW, therefore the only place I would use a guardian would be PvP. And yeah I identified sword/focus as a nice defensive mobility set. I guess the greatsword is supposed to be scary offensively? I would use hammer/staff for a WvW guard, but in sPvP they're pretty awkward.

I acknowledge the obvious sPvP capabilities of guardians for true organized teamfighting, but for YoloQ I would still take my warrior. Though I'd still take my ranger over my warrior.

Anyone interested?
Definitely, when I'm around.

BraXzy

I still haven't done PvP yet. I don't want to get my ass handed to me on a plate :L

I guess the greatsword is supposed to be scary offensively? I would use hammer/staff for a WvW guard, but in sPvP they're pretty awkward.

Nah, GS is utility and burst. Leap has double the range of the Hammer's equivalent, Mighty Blow, on top of blinding 5 targets when hitting. Then you have Binding Blade to make them stay in range/interrupt, and Symbol of Wrath, which is pretty much instacast, giving retaliation and boosting Whirlwind's damage.

I still haven't done PvP yet. I don't want to get my ass handed to me on a plate :L
You'll suck at it regardless of when you start, be it level 1 or level 80, since they, along with your gear, mean nothing there. Might as well dabble in it.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Only way is to jump in and get your ass kicked a bit! Remember in PvP, almost all skills/gear/traits are available to you right from moment one. You can look up a PvP build for your class of choice, configure it in-game to match, and just jump into the Solo Queue. (I do not really recommend ever trying hotjoin) It's fun!

634 days in and only after the new feature patch i started PvP..it's fun but PvP needs some serious fucking balancing it shouldn't take 3 players to take out Guardians or Ele bunker builds need to fucking die in PvP..

634 days in and only after the new feature patch i started PvP..it's fun but PvP needs some serious fucking balancing it shouldn't take 3 players to take out Guardians or Ele bunker builds need to fucking die in PvP..

Bunkers can't kill you, and half the time, can't cap. Just go elsewhere - you shouldn't be wasting three players fighting a bunker, when you could be capping three other points. If they're harassing you, assign a single player to lock them down and run interference on them.

Retro

There still is a lack of content. Tune in to the PAX South presentation tomorrow though. If it is what the community hopes it to be
(An expansion over another crappy chapter in the Living Story model)
, it would be a great time to come back.

Its pretty amazing how fast they churn out this content even if it is a sub MMO. Meanwhile GW2 is still slow as ****.

I like to bitch about it alot whil waiting for the devs to do something other than the ****y living story (I mean come on expansion), but saying it is the same as WoW is absurd.

Guild Wars 2 (Living Story sucks incredibly)

In my opinion the pros of the game outweigh the cons, but I hope season 2 of the living story fails so we can get an actual expansion, with actual content that will and can be played on a more regular basis.

GW2 has potential to be a great setting, too bad ANET are dam slow and are so high on their pathetic living story BS.

Those are just the living story ones.

Fractals and a gate to Southsun south of it.

Derp, of course.

I'm home now, by the way. Will be in Mamble for post-update hype-generation.

Moondrop

Banned
and just jump into the Solo Queue. (I do not really recommend ever trying hotjoin) It's fun!
I'm going to disagree with this. Hotjoin is where you should be if you've never played PvP before; that's the place to get acquainted with your build.

SoloQ, even though I mock it, is rated matches. People have a reasonable expectation that you know what you're doing. Plus this recommendation has a high chance of getting Braxzy yelled at by a stranger, and then we're going to have another discussion about the "toxic PvP community," when really he wasn't ready for SoloQ.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
You shouldn't be trying unless you're a bunker buster. 3 players attempting to fight one is a DREAM for the team that one is on. Rotate to the other points or you're handing them the match.

Bunker guardians/eles are totally disruptable with my S/P thief. CC decap Engis are way, waaaay more annoying to me than either of those.

Complistic

I'm going to disagree with this. Hotjoin is where you should be if you've never played PvP before; that's the place to get acquainted with your build.

SoloQ, even though I mock it, is rated matches. People have a reasonable expectation that you know what you're doing. Plus this recommendation has a high chance of getting Braxzy yelled at by a stranger, and then we're going to have another discussion about the "toxic PvP community," when really he wasn't ready for SoloQ.

exactly. Do hot join first, until you get your build down and your comfortable with it. Joining yoloQ without at least a little muscle memory is going to be a very, very bad time. Not just for yourself but for your teammates.

Retro

Well, those are some righteous lookin' Phoenix skins. Maybe I should have bought some Gamblechests when they were on sale. I can't think of any characters I'd use them for though, sadly.

BraXzy

Only way is to jump in and get your ass kicked a bit! Remember in PvP, almost all skills/gear/traits are available to you right from moment one. You can look up a PvP build for your class of choice, configure it in-game to match, and just jump into the Solo Queue. (I do not really recommend ever trying hotjoin) It's fun!

Thanks for the advice.. I'll try the Holt Join thing soon-ish I guess. I'm fine with toxic players where doing something competitive thanks to Dota 2 haha.

How does the whole.. everything unlocked, all gear, level 80 thing work in PvP btw?

Complistic

When you enter the lobby, or mists, there's a button at the top of your screen that says "PVP build" In there you can can select your weapons, sigils, runes, traits, and your amulet, which decides all of your stats in pvp. Armor wise, you get the amount of armor and health everyone else gets depending on class.

Once you have that set, you can actually join a quick pvp game anywhere. You don't need to go to the mists to hot join or yoloQ.

How does the whole.. everything unlocked, all gear, level 80 thing work in PvP btw?

When you enter the Mists, you basically go into PvP mode. You're made level 80, all the same stats as everyone else, and your armour becomes 'normalized' to the PvP stats. Basically, your armour doesn't matter in PvP, it's just for looks. The amulet you slot into your PvP equipment slot, is what determines your stat loadout.

They now have some unlocking you can do for PvP, like Runes, but it's no biggie.

Once you go into PVP, up top in the middle of a screen should be a PvP loadout button (or something like that), which lets you swap in, for free, runes and amulets, to make your build. It'll make sense when you see it.

Thorgal

I tried hotjoin last night .

We got owned hard but i was laughing the entire match at one guy raging that everyone on the other team where 'Bullshit Cheaters" :p

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane

exactly. Do hot join first, until you get your build down and your comfortable with it. Joining yoloQ without at least a little muscle memory is going to be a very, very bad time. Not just for yourself but for your teammates.
Well that's fair and I'm happy to disagree right back. I find hotjoin to be far too chaotic to get acquainted with anything at all, let alone your build's role in a 5v5 matchup when playing in an 8v8. It also frequently appeared to be to be filled with people farming rank with crazy burst who will absolutely obliterate the "fresh meat" who are in there flailing about trying to learn. I certainly learned how to die rapidly upon respawning. I think it's worth sharing your positive experiences to contradict mine for anyone considering trying it out, but I did not enjoy it, which is the primary focus of playing any game for me. Finally I don't have much stake in the "toxic PvP community" debate because:
  1. You've implied a newbie would have no chance of getting yelled at or encountering assholes in hot join somehow*
  2. You've implied strangers never yell at ME in Solo Queue, or pugging a dungeon, or in Titanfall, or in TF2, or any other virtual space that allows people to communicate with words. Jerks are jerks.
Hot join, because it's set up with different sized teams, can easily feature imbalanced teams, and is, well, hot join (like any FPS server) feels almost like a completely different mode of play to me and most important I don't find it fun at all. If it had been my sole first experience with PvP in GW2 I would probably have hated it. Obviously anyone's mileage will vary but it was altogether useless to me in terms of learning the ropes of PvP. I learned more literally my first ever tournament match than in the entirety of my time spent in hot join combined. And this was before Solo Queue, so for all I know I was going up against premades.

Muscle memory is wonderful but if I had my pick of someone watching their build used in arena play in videos for a couple hours and an equivalent time spent in hotjoin, I'd personally want the video guy on my team.

If hot-join were not what it is but simply an unrated solo 5v5 queue, I would recommend it 30000%, but that's not an option.

"People have a reasonable expectation that you know what you're doing" and "bad time for your teammates" are a little too "stay away casual" for my taste. I suppose the only expectation I have for solo queue is one of the luck of the draw- I expect to have people who are more experienced than me and people who are less experienced than me on my team, and do my best to contribute. Everybody had to be new once.

I tried hotjoin last night .

We got owned hard but i was laughing the entire match at one guy raging that everyone on the other team where 'Bullshit Cheaters" :p

TrounceX

I didn't explain myself well- I don't know when I would take a guardian over my warrior main into WvW, therefore the only place I would use a guardian would be PvP. And yeah I identified sword/focus as a nice defensive mobility set. I guess the greatsword is supposed to be scary offensively? I would use hammer/staff for a WvW guard, but in sPvP they're pretty awkward.

I acknowledge the obvious sPvP capabilities of guardians for true organized teamfighting, but for YoloQ I would still take my warrior. Though I'd still take my ranger over my warrior.

Definitely, when I'm around.

Interesting. I got my Warrior to 80 and fully geared a couple weeks ago, and I feel like its basically a worse version of the same thing as my Guardian, except with a nice AoE hammer stun. I'm running 5/6/3 shout heal PTV / PPF mix. I hit about the same as the Guard except with far less utility in my weapon skills and shouts.

That's the big thing right there actually - Warrior seems to have FAR less utility in WvW.

Staff / Hammer Guards have the best might stacking skill, the best blast finisher, excellent condi cleanse / healing, and two amazing CC's.

So yeah, I dont understand. Why do you think the Warrior is better?

To add to the ^where to start^ answers:

There are 1v1 rooms. Use them. Use them often. That's also where you'll find more people willing to discuss what happened and dispense advice.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
To add to the ^where to start^ answers:

There are 1v1 rooms. Use them. Use them often. That's also where you'll find more people willing to discuss what happened and dispense advice.
Okay, yeah, that's actually better advice. Much more controlled environment and you can actually discuss what's going on in real-time.

Moondrop

Banned
find hotjoin to be far too chaotic to get acquainted with anything at all, let alone your build's role in a 5v5 matchup when playing in an 8v8.
Much of your argument rests on the assumption that hotjoin must be 8v8. I only play 5v5 hotjoin. Granted I forgot to specify that here, but I always make this part of my recommendation.

Also my implications are clearly that you are more likely to get yelled at as a clueless player in SoloQ than hotjoin, which I maintain.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
That is definitely fair enough. I think it's relatively significant that you didn't specify, because my experience with hot join was definitely with 8v8 (or like, 4v7) matches. I don't think I actually ever tried a single 5v5 hot join room so for all I know it is a completely different story, and I withdraw my argument. With that caveat it is probably good advice to start there instead. I guess you can filter the browser by max players, right?

Patch notes are up:

https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/forum/info/updates/Game-Update-Notes-May-20-2014

WAAAY too long to post here.

HAH!

Champion Event Conversion on Starter Maps
Many champion events in the starter maps have been converted into veterans. This change is being made to ensure new players focus on learning the core game experience.

They actually went for the champ farms! I cannot WAIT to see the salt! It's going to be epic.

Whoa, Dredge Fractal rework!

Underground Facility Fractal
Based on the recent Collaborative Development Initiative (CDI), we’ve revisited the dredge factory fractal with intent to improve the overall experience. Too many dredge at high scales caused the play experience of this fractal to suffer both in terms of length and difficulty. With these two things in mind, we’ve redesigned a few core encounters in the instance to ease the burden of these symptoms.

Also, Killstreak boosters are finally viable for levelling:

Kill streak boosts have been redesigned (and had their icon changed). The boost now lasts for one hour and adds kill streak bonuses separately. Kill streaks last 60 seconds from the most recent kill and stacks 10% bonus experience (up to a maximum of 100% bonus experience). Kill streaks can be restarted as often as necessary within the hour.

BraXzy

When you enter the Mists, you basically go into PvP mode. You're made level 80, all the same stats as everyone else, and your armour becomes 'normalized' to the PvP stats. Basically, your armour doesn't matter in PvP, it's just for looks. The amulet you slot into your PvP equipment slot, is what determines your stat loadout.

They now have some unlocking you can do for PvP, like Runes, but it's no biggie.

Once you go into PVP, up top in the middle of a screen should be a PvP loadout button (or something like that), which lets you swap in, for free, runes and amulets, to make your build. It'll make sense when you see it.

Also watch this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=fwha5NLRidk#t=211

TBH, if you've braved the Dota seas, nothing GW2 can hurl at you will ever hurt you.

Sweet I'll look into it. Yeah I doubt much thrown at me can be worse than the skill curve and community spirit of Dota haha.

Standing with the supply box traders near the docks in the Labyrinthine Cliffs is an asuran merchant who accepts spare piles of Blade Shards in exchange for Equipment Bags, each containing a piece of masterwork or better gear.

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom