• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT4| The only subscription you need is this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Retro

She's level 36 at the moment and I have no idea how to play her. I'm thinking rifle, flamethrower, that fun emergency drop as the elite and ? Am I wasting my time slotting a turret?

Professor Retro's Guide to Engineering
1. Acquire Flamethrower.
What if I don't like Flamethrower?!
1. Acquire. Flamethrower.
2. Acquire Elixirs H, B and C (S if you're in WvW)
3. Trait for Juggernaut and HGH.
4. Burn it.
5. Is it burned?
Nope. Return to step 4.
Hell yes! Move to step 6.​
6. Laugh manically (this is important. Bonus points if you're an Asuran).
7. Leave nothing but the smouldering ash in your wake.

spiritfox

The REAL guide to Flamethrower:

1. Throw away Flamethrower.

Seriously, FT pales compared to the other kits. You're better off with Grenades for damage and Rifle for control. Turrets aren't that great, but they work fine in most situations, especially if specced for. Supply Drop is pretty much the only Elite you should take.

Hellers

I'm slightly confused by my elementalist when I'm underwater. Pretty much all my good skills don't work AND I DON'T LIKE IT. I don't even have an elite I can use when I'm forced to go down there. I'm guessing my choice is tornado or tornado?

Retro

I don't even have an elite I can use when I'm forced to go down there. I'm guessing my choice is tornado or tornado?

Hey, you could always use Tornado.
Yes, it's literally the only one that works underwater. They need to get a Fiery Harpoon in there or something.

leng jai

I'm slightly confused by my elementalist when I'm underwater. Pretty much all my good skills don't work AND I DON'T LIKE IT. I don't even have an elite I can use when I'm forced to go down there. I'm guessing my choice is tornado or tornado?

Everyone is in a perpetual state of confusion when it comes to underwater combat.

Hellers

I wish in a lot of these cases they'd just change the skills slightly to account for the fact you're underwater. Like the turrets that float. They could make firey greatsword a harpoon. Elementals be fish shaped. That sort of thing

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
<3 Tuna Morph

Underwater Combat makes a lot of sense on my thief. On my ele I press buttons which make flashy colors happen

BraXzy

He needs to hurry up with this Asura.

I tried my best last night, I did! But I can't stop silly people on power trips making servers go down :p

I have been informed by Mrs. Retor that "Breezy" is both a derogatory term for women and a nickname for Chris Brown. Not sure which is worse there. Anyways, if you'd rather avoid that little nickname I've given you, that's fine.

Oh yeah I remember someone mentioning that. Hmm. I like the name but I don't know if I want to wander around with people possibly relating me to one or both :/

I was thinking Braxzy Bender (Along the lines of The Last Air Bender) and such since it'd fit pretty damn well. And then I remember it is used in a derogetory way as slang, at least here in England and it's just like.. people need to stop turning words into derogetory slang!

I don't make any little peoples.

9PxztPu.gif

Sorry for late response .
I am using only sweetfx wich injects SMAA.

I also disabled post processing in the options since it blurs the image.

So sweetfx + downsampling + disable post processing.

Ahh right okay. Is there a particular preset you use?

I'll have another try with it and see if I can tweak it into something I like.

Braxzy could fit with the idea of the bouble letter if you make it Braxxy.
Why not Braxx or Braxz so you have a 1 syllable name.

Now for the surname/title, here is a list of fitting asura titles that can do the trick, and can serve as inspiration should you want to make-up your own.

Ooh that's a pretty sweet idea. I might go with this, thanks :D

1. Acquire Flamethrower.
4. Burn it.
5. Is it burned?
Nope. Return to step 4.

Lmao. Thanks for the laugh and the guide for when I make an engineer :L

BraXzy

ill pm you the link as soon as i get home from work.

Awesome, thanks.

It's interesting to see how the Ley Line weapons are shaping up in the TP. They are have average numbers of like 10-20 on sale, and then there is the Staff which has over 100. I guess everyone thought it looked the coolest and hoped it'd be an easy sell.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Engineer probably has the most setups that can work, if you put the effort in, of any class. Definitely gotta try everything and see what you like, then build around that. Grenades are great damage and range (and with a gamepad at least won't kill your wrist) but I find them too boring. I love elixir gun, bomb kit and playing rifle as a shotgun. The shield skills are also awesome but I wish the cooldowns weren't so extreme. definitely gonna play around with flamethrower too.

My necro is level 40 at the moment and I fancy making her minionless. What weapons, skills and traits do you think will work best?

I'm using this myself, bu with the dagger/fan 2nd set swapped for a staff:

http://en.gw2skills.net/editor/?fRA...YOqWA-TxRGABAcSAGS5HI7PQm+hyeCAAq+jUKBFEwoA-e

She's level 36 at the moment and I have no idea how to play her. I'm thinking rifle, flamethrower, that fun emergency drop as the elite and ? Am I wasting my time slotting a turret?

I run a three-kit Engineer build that I'm utterly in love with: http://en.gw2skills.net/editor/?fdA...gnC-TxxHABD8gAWS5nb6JUZ/h5UCCwJEIR1fIFAMbBA-e

Grenades, Bombs, and Elixir Gun. Turrets are totally viable now, but only if you trait them boons and shields, which does lock you into two grandmaster lines, but I don't think that's too bad. Supply Drop is pretty much the engineer's best Elite, and rifle is the highest damage output but I run pistol/shield myself because I like having the shield. You can swap out Bombs for Toolkit for an amazing extra block, a yank, and a confusion-apply prybar. Plus the one-two-three autoattack on toolkit is all kinds of amazing.

Plus, dropping big ol bomb, then fire bomb, then doing a rapid chain of heal turret detonate + magnetic inversion + acid bomb = instant 18 stacks of might for your party, which really does the trick.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
ah man I love toolkit too. I want to try a toolkit turret build. I suppose now with the free trait resets I could go down those lines and swap easily.

spiritfox

I'm using this myself, bu with the dagger/fan 2nd set swapped for a staff:

http://en.gw2skills.net/editor/?fRA...YOqWA-TxRGABAcSAGS5HI7PQm+hyeCAAq+jUKBFEwoA-e

I run a three-kit Engineer build that I'm utterly in love with: http://en.gw2skills.net/editor/?fdA...gnC-TxxHABD8gAWS5nb6JUZ/h5UCCwJEIR1fIFAMbBA-e

Grenades, Bombs, and Elixir Gun. Turrets are totally viable now, but only if you trait them boons and shields, which does lock you into two grandmaster lines, but I don't think that's too bad. Supply Drop is pretty much the engineer's best Elite, and rifle is the highest damage output but I run pistol/shield myself because I like having the shield. You can swap out Bombs for Toolkit for an amazing extra block, a yank, and a confusion-apply prybar. Plus the one-two-three autoattack on toolkit is all kinds of amazing.

Plus, dropping big ol bomb, then fire bomb, then doing a rapid chain of heal turret detonate + magnetic inversion + acid bomb = instant 18 stacks of might for your party, which really does the trick.

Do you have the link to all the engie builds? I want to play around with my engie.

Kinky.

Do you have the link to all the engie builds? I want to play around with my engie.

Kinky.

*All* the engineer builds? That would be like, thousands. But if you want something more focused, Wolfineer has a good listing: http://www.wolfineer.com/wolfineers-builds-2/

I run his Hybrid Celestial 3-Kit (that's what I linked in the post above). It's not the highest damage output, but for group play, I think it puts the Engineer in an incredible place, and it's good enough to manage open world PvE content solo just fine, and survive in WvW easily enough if you slot in rocket boots for breakaway.

Aw man. Now I just want to play my engineer and not bother with the last five levels of my Ele :)

I don't pay Elementalist but many people that have played both professions have said that they are similar because of the similarities between attunements and kits, and only having one weapon set.

Retro

Asura do not have last names.

Also usually they have repeating letters in their name.

You should go with Baraxx or Baraxxy.

Yeah, instead of last names they tend to have titles and such. If "Braxx" isn't taken, go with "Braxzz" maybe. Or throw a title in front of Braxx, like "Professor", "Master", etc.

Baraxx is a little too close to Barrack for my tastes, and all I can see for "Baraxxy" is "xxx" even though the last character is a Y.

Speaking of names, I need a name for my female Sylvari Mesmer. Maybe something with flowers in the name.

I actually went semi-flowery for my mesmer too; her name is a combination of "Heather" and "Epiphany." Not a Sylvari though.

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
1. Acquire Flamethrower.
4. Burn it.
5. Is it burned?
Nope. Return to step 4.

Our fearless leader knows how to play Engineer properly.

tumblr_ltvgkncMnw1qgvs51o1_500.gif

1. Acquire Flamethrower.
4. Burn it.
5. Is it burned?
Nope. Return to step 4.

One additional tip: if you're going to be using FG a lot, turn off autotargeting under options. I do wish they'd give us a toggle button or key for it.

Thorgal

My warriors strategy is to beat on enemy till it goes down .
Then continue beating it till it stops moving/ twitching .
Then afterwards beats on it some more just to be sure .

Moondrop

Banned
Theoycrafting: Bringing Back Beastmastery

I've crafted a full set of exotic Nomad armor and accessories for ranger. I'm definitely tankier, but the build is far from complete. Feedback welcome.

Traits: 0-3-0-3-6 so far. 3 in Skirmishing gives pets more ferocity and fury/swiftness on my weapon swap. 3 in Nature Magic enables boon transfer to pets; might as well take regen duration there. 6 in BM is kind of a build assumption, but I could re-examine it. The only necessary traits in BM are pet swap and shout CD reduction.

Weapons: In my initial testing, enemy roamers don't care about your pet, they're coming straight at you. In PvP I can use my old standbys of sword/horn and shortbow to dodge around while my conditions tick, but that doesn't seem to work here. However tanky I've become, I can't absorb enough damage relative to a cat's DPS. The counter, I reason, is more CC, so I'm considering greatsword. But what to pair it with- shortbow, for an inside/outside game? Sword/horn for pet buffs? Sword/axe for more CC/defense? Longbow, MH axe, and OH dagger seem less promising for this build, but OH torch could be useful.

Skills: Sic 'Em and Rampage as One are non-negotiable. I'd consider Troll Unguent over Healing Spring if most roamers weren't condi bombers. Signet of the Wild is pretty sad if you're using it for its active properties without the GM trait; it's 8 sec uptime of +25% damage on 48 sec traited CD. I've always liked Frost Trap. Last night I even tried the Sylvari racial Grasping Vines. Maybe I should get Muddy Terrain in there.

Runes: Currently I'm trying Privateer- parrot meta and all. But Runes of Speed would also be nice, and have some combat value beyond the 25% movement speed.

Pets: As I alluded before regarding weapons, double cats are not the most effective combo because no one's targeting the one. I'm considering pairing jaguar with a canine for CC, birds for blinds, or even something from the pig family. I tried hyenas but the cast time/uptime considerations seem too great.

Retro

Happy Birthday, Roxie!

Happy... um... Birth, Braxx the Creator (Yay!)

Our fearless leader knows how to play Engineer properly.

Honestly, Flamethrower probably isn't the "best" way to play an engineer, but it is my way that that's all that matters to me. Is the DPS as high as grenades? Probably not. But I also hate grenade spamming. I also like that the Flamethrower has some control on it so I can use either Pistols for condition damage and still have that to fall back on, or rifle if I want more control overall.

Despite the build being built for the Flamethrower, it's also built to generate a fuckton of Might (6 stacks just walkin' around with the FT out, 2 from every elixir used, 3 from Elixir B) and the Toolbelt skills allow it to also offer up some support (which is something I seem to build into all of my characters out of habit). And I purposely made my engineer look like a mad scientist, so running around setting things on fire while laughing is right up his alley.

One additional tip: if you're going to be using FG a lot, turn off autotargeting under options. I do wish they'd give us a toggle button or key for it.

Always do. I'm used to tab-targeting from a billion other MMOs so I really don't need the game doing it for me. I love being able to 'sweep' the flame jet.

BraXzy

Thanks guys. And you all sound like alcoholics, it is way too early to be thinking or talking about drinking =p

HAPPY BIRTHDAY ROXIE!

I expect lots of drinking..

tumblr_inline_n8m2b0nF4D1suw10y.gif

Lots of cake eating...

tumblr_inline_n8m2iaGfvy1suw10y.gif

And lots of dancing.

tumblr_inline_n8m2mpwb5X1suw10y.gif

And since I said I would by the time it was your birthday, here is my FIRST Asura.. meet Braxx the Creator!

1zip5nt.jpg

Callunah

Neo Member
Happy Birthday Roxierooooo!!!! (Vodka Queen of GAF!)

We all know that every night looks like this to you... don't deny it!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom