• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT4| The only subscription you need is this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Levyne

Banned
Fighting the queen skritt thing.

guild_wars_2_2014_07_17_22_54_08_39s_by_zeolevyne-d7r62fu.png

Seville

Quick Question, I see that Ep.2 is out. I was unable to play the past few weeks and was wondering if I would be able to play Ep. 1?

Levyne

Banned
Quick Question, I see that Ep.2 is out. I was unable to play the past few weeks and was wondering if I would be able to play Ep. 1?

You weren't able to log in? It's 200 gems to access the episode, however you still have access to the zone and everything else (dynamic events, Dry Top stuffs ), just not the instances and challenge achievements tied to them. I think that's how it is.

I personally didn't think that Episode 1 was anything world class. I wouldn't worry too much about missing if it doesn't bother you. Episode 2 I thought was a bit better so definitely log in if you can.

Seville

You weren't able to log in? It's 200 gems to access the episode, however you still have access to the zone and everything else (dynamic events, Dry Top stuffs ), just not the instances and challenge achievements tied to them. I think that's how it is.

I personally didn't think that Episode 1 was anything world class. I wouldn't worry too much about missing if it doesn't bother you. Episode 2 I thought was a bit better so definitely log in if you can.

Unfortunately, not. Ah well.. I'll log in for this episode. How would I know I have the episode unlocked?

Levyne

Banned
You should see a green star icon animation thingy and you'll get a piece of mail. You might have to clean out your inbox. The Story Journal is in the Hero Panel (H) with a similar icon iirc, scroll down to the bottom to see season 2 episodes 1 and 2. I imagine that's where you'll have to insert gems if you want Episode 1, and that's also how you replay the episodes.

Hellers

I did my first two dungeons ever last night. First I tried an AC story group. We got to the lovers and failed hard. The guy who started the instance said he'd get his guardian but then the group fell apart. I started my own group (With blackjack and hookers) and breezed the instance. What's the best trick to making sure the lovers is successful? Just keep throwing rocks at the bloke to keep him occupied?

After that a friend joined me and we started a group for CM. story. Got through it with no real problems. I think that should probably have been the first instance. AC is a bit of a weird layout and the lovers will be a shock to the system for anyone's first time in a GW2 dungeon. CM by comparison is straightforward and not too challenging and quite an interesting setting.

Hellers

What happened pre-nerf? I do know that that dungeon really put people off I knew at launch but I never knew why apart from the difficulty

Thorgal

Speaking of dungeons , Are there any gaffers willing to go with me and do Arah path 4 once i get to that point ?

I have heard the dislike that it gets due to it's length but i want to go through it at least once .

Thorgal

The mechanism is to keep them separated. The rocks cause knockback, but you can also use your own knockback attacks.

Sure, I'm in. Don't think I've done that one.

Great !

just so you know , looking at a guide for that path. it has some Boss fights that are supposedly very hard ( Giganticus Lupicus ) and some requires good coordination.

Here's a guide if you want too have a look .

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/The_Ruined_City_of_Arah_(explorable)#Seer_path_.28Path_4.29

What happened pre-nerf? I do know that that dungeon really put people off I knew at launch but I never knew why apart from the difficulty

It's been a long time, but if I remember correctly, AC Story's trash mobs used to hit like a truck. You really had to pull carefully, not aggro too many ghosts, and any ghost rangers you saw could wipe a party with their traps if you didn't line of sight them. The dungeon was basically in Hard Mode from the get-go, which was a mistake. It's a pity they didn't keep that incarnation of it though for an actual Hard Mode setting.

Thorgal

GAF groups can usually handle Lupicus. But we'll need a guide if we don't have someone experienced. Note: I can't attend this tonight.

Oh i am not planning on running it now .

As i said : for when i am ready . :p

Edit :
It's been a long time, but if I remember correctly, AC Story's trash mobs used to hit like a truck. You really had to pull carefully, not aggro too many ghosts, and any ghost rangers you saw could wipe a party with their traps if you didn't line of sight them. The dungeon was basically in Hard Mode from the get-go, which was a mistake. It's a pity they didn't keep that incarnation of it though for an actual Hard Mode setting.

in that case they should add a hard mode to every dungeon .

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Just from the story beats, new areas and instances, Entanglement is among my favorite releases yet, with still more to do. My word, the lore to go over from this one.
I did manage to play some Dragon Ball which was quite fun. Got prety good at it too. I did like the look of the wings though. I had only started the game about a week before it, so haven't experience any other events.
I thiiink those wings are now available from the laurel vendor. check your favorite local city's inventory.
hnnnng it's happening
I did my first two dungeons ever last night. First I tried an AC story group. We got to the lovers and failed hard. The guy who started the instance said he'd get his guardian but then the group fell apart. I started my own group (With blackjack and hookers) and breezed the instance. What's the best trick to making sure the lovers is successful? Just keep throwing rocks at the bloke to keep him occupied?
hehe. we should run ac story together, I can show you a few things. it's always great xp, and decent gold. :) what character is you in the guild?

After that a friend joined me and we started a group for CM. story. Got through it with no real problems. I think that should probably have been the first instance. AC is a bit of a weird layout and the lovers will be a shock to the system for anyone's first time in a GW2 dungeon. CM by comparison is straightforward and not too challenging and quite an interesting setting.
It might not seem like it from your first run, but believe it or not AC story is now substantially easier than Cm story- lovers included! Although, indeed, you've named the two easiest dungeon runs in the game. The real thing to keep in mind is that all enemies in AC lack Defiant, a buff that most champions and bosses in the game have preventing you from using CC skills (like knockbacks and stuns) to interrupt them at will. The one exception is the Cave Troll, which is a random spawn, and the same one you'd find in Explorable mode; he can absolutely massacre PUG groups. But everything else in there is an absolute joke once you know this. Soloing Ralena during the lovers fight while the rest of the party gets Vassar is now my favorite pasttime. :) Being as that encounter is the only fight in the dungeon with any kind of mechanic, and it explains the buff they get when you click on either one of them, it's a pretty fair design.

The real shock to the system was AC Story at launch. Everything, but especially the lovers fight, was 4 to 6 times tougher than it is now. This was by design, to force a baseline level of skill before letting players tackle AC Explorable, which is a level 35 dungeon, but an order of magnitude tougher than AC/CM Story are now. I cut my teeth on that dungeon and it made me way more prepared for the tougher instances to come. Without the tough AC, players can wait a lot longer to learn basic stuff like saving dodges, team rallying, prioritizing calls, etc. Admittedly, though, it was just too much of a bloodbath for the majority of the playerbase and was changed to its current form through feedback. CM Story is just an easy run in general, and there's nothing wrong with that, but AC Story is in a pretty good place as the "intro dungeon" now too.

Hellers

Just from the story beats, new areas and instances,
hehe. we should run ac story together, I can show you a few things. it's always great xp, and decent gold. :) what character is you in the guild?

Sadly I play on the Euro server farm with no guild and I have to pug :( I have no idea why the two farms are still treated as seperate.

Levyne

Banned
Sadly I play on the Euro server farm with no guild and I have to pug :( I have no idea why the two farms are still treated as seperate.

Wow, this sounds really sad :( no guild?

The separation of the server groups sounds like a deeply rooted infrastructure issue. I don't know the specifics but basically it sounds like it would be less than trivial to unite.

We can put your name on a short list for a transfer to SBI if you want. Braxzy, Thorgal, and others are people you can talk to about how smooth that is for them.

Hellers

I'd like to (And the money isn't an issue) but I'd be leaving behind some people I play with occasionally. Maybe at some point.

Thorgal

Wow, this sounds really sad :( no guild?

The separation of the server groups sounds like a deeply rooted infrastructure issue. I don't know the specifics but basically it sounds like it would be less than trivial to unite.

We can put your name on a short list for a transfer to SBI if you want. Braxzy, Thorgal, and others are people you can talk to about how smooth that is for them.

I can not recall one moment where i encountered any lag

Well except after that ddos attack . but that is unrelated .

Moondrop

Banned
In PvP and WvW, when pets receive 300 vitality from the 6 points in the Beastmastery trait line, they receive ~1.6k health rather than 3k health as a player would. This scaling is different than in PvE.

If similar scaling exists for the other stats, then there's no reason to go for Pet Attribute Bonus.

Also Dry Top farming is pretty fun and the geode requirements aren't so bad if you hit T5. I'm getting at least the axe and torch amber weapons.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
No guild D: Sorry to hear that. Maybe you can join us one day, though I understand not wanting to jump ship on your friends
make them come too

The cross-region thing is a bummer, but it's not that they're just treated as separate, they are completely different datacenters, full infrastructure from the ground up. True cross-server play (the way servers are megaserved within regions) will never really be possible, no matter what. The best solution is probably a sort of "international distinct" replicate (this was used in GW1) that both players in either region can "guest" to for a session. I assume that the whole persistent world makes this non-trivial to say the least or it would've been done already.

Hellers

I generally don't mind playing MMOs by myself. Especially when levelling. But in GW2 in particular I really miss the company of an active guild chat and I'm wanting to get started on Fractals.

Thorgal

I generally don't mind playing MMOs by myself. Especially when levelling. But in GW2 in particular I really miss the company of an active guild chat and I'm wanting to get started on Fractals.

This is enough to make me feel sad .

Why not come over to this server and ask your friends to do so as well if they are able ?

Levyne

Banned

I think the GAF guild chat probably accounts for half my enjoyment of the game. Sometimes well after I'm done actually playing I'll just keep the window open just to chat.

Edit: Sometimes it can get annoying, though. Luckily it's easy enough to turn off if you want to focus on your dungeon party or something.

Anno

I would definitely throw in extra if we need some transfers. GAF is easily the best thing about GW2, and certainly the only reason I've put days and days into the game.

Thorgal

Won't there be a time zone difference problem? Like I'd be playing when all you American types are asleep?

Not really .

Even in my case where there is a 6 hour time difference ( EU ) i still find multiple guild people from America online every evening . especially after the new influx of old and new players .

spiritfox

Won't there be a time zone difference problem? Like I'd be playing when all you American types are asleep?

Well, it gets bad on weekday mornings American time (which is the only time on weekdays i can play), but there's a number of EU players up most of the time. Or you can fin Braxzy, who doesn't seem to sleep.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Edit: Sometimes it can get annoying, though. Luckily it's easy enough to turn off if you want to focus on your dungeon party or something.
:'.'(
We seem to have a few active players scattered across all major time zones for the most part (where are you exactly?). Obviously you might not be on for our primetime (Saturday missions likely a no-go) but our Sunday Makeup missions are early in the day specifically to give people that can't make it a chance to get their commendations.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
no i love everything you say always forever

i will just cry into the wall it's ok

Who's ready for a new dungeon soon? Meeeeeee

I can totally see it happening within the next 1 or 2 releases...

Zeroth

no i love everything you say always forever

i will just cry into the wall it's ok

Who's ready for a new dungeon soon? Meeeeeee

I can totally see it happening within the next 1 or 2 releases...

I'm ready for an Arah run Hawk.

Path 4.

Though 3 is fine too.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
hooboy. I suppose it's time to put myself through path 4 again sometime soon.

I'm fine with 3 anytime though, as long as it's before 9ish eastern.

I've only got one friend left who's still playing. Once he gets bored again and buggers off I'll do the transfer :)
You guys should both transfer.

Also I think Guild chat works cross region so you could talk to us ingame we just won't be able to play. At least you'd have people who would answer your questions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom