• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT4| The only subscription you need is this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Morokh

They also seem to be adamantly against turning world and Living Story events into private instances. Instancing doesn't make the content any better, it's simply asking for direct control over who we play with, or more importantly who we don't play with. Instancing means people are excluded from content because they're not in a big enough guild, or play the wrong profession, or don't have enough AP, and creates inequality. Soon large chunks of content is only for the hardcore warriors, elementalists and thieves with 10k AP, which I don't need to tell you is a small subset of the game's population. This starting to sound familiar at all?

It's a noble goal to try and avoid that.

And yet it's hard to not acknowledge that their will to prevent exactly that is what makes it artificially harder for everyone, and what will lead to people to rely on guild like TTS to lead their instance to be able to do it which will end up being very similar :(

The event itself could be fine as is, but we really lack the in-game tools to make it work properly.

The lackluster rewards won't help make it better either, as it seems people have already given up on this particular event, I went through 3 instances since I logged-in, two of them had just people farming for the 50kill achievements, one had the event started and stuck at 5 (Edit : nevermind just the regular Zerg taking hours ...)

Miktar, this should be the GAF National Anthem: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JWsRz3TJDEY

I think this is more appropriate: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wzr12gBrXA8

Also, from reddit:

I haven't seen anybody mention it and even Wooden Potatoes seems to have missed it in his latest video. Skritt have taken over Hooligan's Route and are trying to sell their "shinies" so they can buy a ship and become "sea-skritt".

The previous residents of the cave are on a nearby hill and they are quite pissed at Skritt for stealing their cave and their stuff which they stole fair and square.

http://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/264ort/skritt_in_lions_arch/

That's adorable.

Hadn't played Guild Wars in about 13 months but popped back on a few days ago and started a new character up to level 34 now.

Forgot how fun the game is. :) I also didn't even know about Lion's Arch until I saw it. Dear me! o_O

BraXzy

The Bazaar of the Four Winds is a playground, where you run and jump and complete little challenges for yourself. You can do it alone or with a small group, but it's all about the simple joy of movement and playing on the equipment.

The Gauntlet is a one-on-one challenge where everyone lines up and makes a go at facing down an enemy while everyone else waits their turn and cheers them on. It's like putting your quarter on the line at an arcade, where everyone waits their turn and watches each player's attempt, offering advice and encouragement. It's all about individual accomplishment, but there's still a sense of community.

If the Bazaar is the playground and the Gauntlet is the arcade, the Pavilion is essentailly the kids playing kickball or football during recess. And like those sports, there's a bit of organization and teamwork required to play, but it doesn't require extensive practice, drilling or kicking kids off your team unless winning is the only thing you care about.[/I]

These are nice explanations for each thanks! What is kickball though?

I also didn't even know about Lion's Arch until I saw it. Dear me! o_O

You should have seen it during the siege:

ygCyOCI.jpg

UHWJlM9.jpg

LH6pyLp.jpg

UczunuP.jpg

6Hlbrpd.jpg

SOOV2Ma.jpg

Ceres

Banned
Skins you like and nodes for home instance?

Really happy that I will be able to get that candy corn node that I missed.

Considering the previous zephyr I think the biggest "loot" gain was the quartz node and quartz itself, this is almost a nice way to give newer places a chance to get skins/items they've missed during the LS so far.

Why couldn't Pyre Fierceshot have been a Hero. :(

DRwUUi5.jpg

This part of Eye of the North, the story suddenly got interesting. Three campaigns worth of derp story, and NOW it manages to get my attention. :p

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
It's a noble goal to try and avoid that.

And yet it's hard to not acknowledge that their will to prevent exactly that is what makes it artificially harder for everyone, and what will lead to people to rely on guild like TTS to lead their instance to be able to do it which will end up being very similar :(

The event itself could be fine as is, but we really lack the in-game tools to make it work properly.

The lackluster rewards won't help make it better either, as it seems people have already given up on this particular event, I went through 3 instances since I logged-in, two of them had just people farming for the 50kill achievements, one had the event started and stuck at 5 (Edit : nevermind just the regular Zerg taking hours ...)
I dunno, maybe they'll change it to make it easier because of complaining, or maybe they won't and the people interested only in the rewards will take off for more profitable skies which will make it easier for people like us to run in an organized way. As I understand it, it doesn't actually take very long to run in terms of time investment? Maybe we should try it before getting missions started on Saturday night.
Hadn't played Guild Wars in about 13 months but popped back on a few days ago and started a new character up to level 34 now.

Forgot how fun the game is. :) I also didn't even know about Lion's Arch until I saw it. Dear me! o_O
Heya! Are you in/want in the guild?

edit: Lovely pictorial from reddit: https://imgur.com/a/F2Axk?gallery

How long will the zephyrites be around? Turned out that Wolfenstein is really good, and transistor is looking at me with pleading eyes, so... >_>

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
How long will the zephyrites be around? Turned out that Wolfenstein is really good, and transistor is looking at me with pleading eyes, so... >_>
Hard to say, 2 weeks at the least seems safe though.

I want Transistor too, but... so many games.

Proven

Indeed, there's a lot I forgot about Guardian because I don't play Guardian. Their greater condition removal is directly correlated with your point about PvP meta placement in my eyes. Even granting the edge to Guardians with boon conversion, it's still effectively a wash in WvW given the shorter CDs for warriors. And yeah protection is great, but the shout grants it for 4 seconds.

I'm not putting down the Guardian Hammer 2, a blast finisher every 5 seconds is great. But I think you're underselling Earthshaker, which has a 9 sec CD in my build and less in most others. The only condition for which I save it is having a clump of enemies to pound into paste.

Of course, here is the part I most strenously disagree. My warrior doesn't put out 3k, it puts out over 12k every ~25 seconds. There's simply no comparison to the healing of Empower. As for the might stacking, it's great, but even better when complemented by some fury (via For Great Justice!).

Which is a point I hoped to convey in my original post- I want a Guardian by my side. But ultimately I don't see the need to roll one given that I main a complementary frontliner.

Ah, you didn't make it clear that it was 3k per shout, not 3k total.

And the thing about Earthshaker is that in the flow of battle, every 7-9 seconds is when you want to use it to get a stun on enemies. Unless one of the groups runs back and spends more than 5 seconds rebuffing/healing. At least from watching GvGs, you don't have the time to use Earthshaker for mid-battle blasting and then immediately afterward on the next clash. And the need for adrenaline means that you don't have it for blasting at the beginning of a fight or while moving around if you've been out of combat for a long time.

Aww.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Just missed that the Skritt took over my favorite spot in LA, must see itttt
I have Transistor but I'm diving head first into this patch first. Also still addicted to Dark Souls 2, have 28/38 achievements.
I'm still not even close to done with my first playthrough, taking it slow with lots of personal goals along the way. Still playing Titanfall whenever I can squeeze in a match too!

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
Transitor doesn't come out till next Tuesday, (my birthday, thanks Supergiant!).

You guys have time. Albeit not much! xD

This update has restarted my love for GW2. I spent ~6 hours yesterday after class just jumping around collecting crystals and zipping around as a Dolyak.

Also, Taimi is my new favorite character.

I like the way she rides around on Fluffy's shoulder. I didn't get why she's not allowed to participate in the dolyak race, though.

Her legs don't work right. She can't walk far, that's why she has Fluffy. When Edge of the Mists was unveiled, there was a little bit of dialogue between her and Kabraham where she explained it, very easy to miss. Was a nice touch.

mingus

Her legs don't work right. She can't walk far, that's why she has Fluffy. When Edge of the Mists was unveiled, there was a little bit of dialogue between her and Kabraham where she explained it, very easy to miss. Was a nice touch.

7vjyk.gif

I'm going to hell for laughing at that so hard.

To all the players complaining about the rewards for Boss Blitz:

AARM did an organized guild event on Tarnished Coast last night. We invited non-guild members as well and taught them how to do the fight. The reward for Gold completion is EIGHT champion chests, +3 rolls on the green/exotic loot table. This event takes ~7 minutes to complete.

http://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/2654d4/to_all_the_players_complaining_about_the_rewards/

Well. That's good to know! The reward wasn't as bad as people pretended it to be.

BraXzy

You should have seen it during the siege:

Damn why didn't I start this game sooner?! That looks awesome.

Just came out from Gawwziya
(Godzilla)
.. pretty good film, I liked that there was a lot of teasing of the big daddy. But I paid for a 3D viewing, got my 3D glasses on, a 2D copy was shown -.-

I can't really complain, we got free tickets for the inconvenience haha!

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I like the way she rides around on Fluffy's shoulder. I didn't get why she's not allowed to participate in the dolyak race, though.
Scruffy goddamnit. She'd have both of your heads for that

Moondrop

Banned
Ah, you didn't make it clear that it was 3k per shout, not 3k total.
But of course the major reason warrior shouts have more utility is Healing Shouts- my cleric warrior has 4 shouts providing >3k AoE healing each, which is much more valuable to me than group boons.

And the thing about Earthshaker is that in the flow of battle, every 7-9 seconds is when you want to use it to get a stun on enemies. Unless one of the groups runs back and spends more than 5 seconds rebuffing/healing. At least from watching GvGs, you don't have the time to use Earthshaker for mid-battle blasting and then immediately afterward on the next clash. And the need for adrenaline means that you don't have it for blasting at the beginning of a fight or while moving around if you've been out of combat for a long time.
Sorry, I'm not totally following this. Either I have it available when my commander calls to blast a field or I don't. While percentage-wise a 5 sec CD is much greater "availability uptime" than a 7-9 sec CD, in practice I often have it when asked. And if I don't, let's not forget that a blast finisher is ~1.2k healing, not a lot compared to my shouts. Which underscores that CC and damage are the primary functions of Earthshaker, with finishing secondary. Indeed the adrenaline mechanism is a further limitation on the skill as a blast finisher.

Proven

Jeez, I'm more tired than I thought.

Yeah, either you have it or you don't. Hammer Guardian always has it. That was the point. You asked about what made Hammer 2 good. I'm just saying what makes it good.

Moondrop

Banned
Yeah, either you have it or you don't. Hammer Guardian always has it. That was the point. You asked about what made Hammer 2 good. I'm just saying what makes it good.

Yeah there was some confusion semantically. My original argument was along the line of, 'Which is better, Earthshaker or Mighty Blow?' but I guess it came out like 'What makes Mighty Blow good?'

I've played enough WvW to figure out why Guardians get to blast static fields pre-fight while my adrenaline is empty. ;)

Seil

I'm going to hell for laughing at that so hard.

http://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/2654d4/to_all_the_players_complaining_about_the_rewards/

Well. That's good to know! The reward wasn't as bad as people pretended it to be.

Yeah... I don't think anyone's complained about the rewards for doing it right. They've complained about the fact that it's almost impossible to achieve that because not everyone's doing organized guild run stuff. People that just want to jump in and do the boss blitz are forever stuck in bronze hell unless they luck out in getting to one of those maps. Bronze, and probably silver are terrible, especially considering the whole reason they're getting bronze/silver is too much time was spent.

It's not just the lazy people that complain. People that are trying to put in effort aren't getting rewarded for that effort, meaning they will leave as they're having a hard time, not having fun, and not getting anything out of it.

That's how it's left me feeling, anyway. The absolute only reason I'll go near blitz if I don't manage to find a super organized session is to wrap up the achievements. If you can't guarantee a gold, it's just a lot of frustration and wasted time.

I think it's great that they're trying to break up the zerg mindset. However, they're hurting the people that want to play right, as well, because they're held back by the majority.

Yeah... I don't think anyone's complained about the rewards for doing it right.

Actually, a lot of people on reddit started a giant whinefest saying "you only get 3 chests for doing it gold". So they were lying, basically.

I do agree though, a lot of people who want to play the game right, are being punished because the majority "don't want to be challenged" and some even admit that proudly, and Anet keeps trying to please everyone. Always the downside of running a business - gotta do what's good for the money first, and not the people who care the most. Since caring the most doesn't magically equal more money. :p

Seil

Actually, a lot of people on reddit started a giant whinefest saying "you only get 3 chests for doing it gold". So they were lying, basically.

Ah, I don't frequent the subreddit so hadn't seen anything like that.

The unfortunate thing is, I would enjoy content like the boss blitz if it were reliable to do x.x But you can't control such a large group of random people, meaning the only option is to have a large organized group/guild take over a map. Which, to me, doesn't feel like how public events should work x.x If you're going to design content that requires organized groups take over an instance, rather than large numbers of people banding together... why not just make large controlled instances? @_@

Morokh

Yeah... I don't think anyone's complained about the rewards for doing it right.

Oh, I certainly have, and I don't think the reward is fitting at all.

The tools to coordinate are missing and I don't think you'll be able to do much unless Anet does something.
One simple thing that could already make the whole thing way simpler would be to have all the bosses life bar visible at the same time on the UI.

And I don't know about any of you but seeing people advising NOT to participate in the event because they'll scale it in a game like this just weirded me out ...

Edit :
For the gauntlet fights do you get a UI chest once a day for each boss or is it a one time thing ?

Proven

Yeah there was some confusion semantically. My original argument was along the line of, 'Which is better, Earthshaker or Mighty Blow?' but I guess it came out like 'What makes Mighty Blow good?'

I've played enough WvW to figure out why Guardians get to blast static fields pre-fight while my adrenaline is empty. ;)

It's probably on me for being too damn sleepy.

Seil

Oh, I certainly have, and I don't think the reward is fitting at all.

The tools to coordinate are missing and I don't think you'll be able to do much unless Anet does something.
One simple thing that could already make the whole thing way simpler would be to have all the bosses life bar visible at the same time on the UI.

And I don't know about any of you but seeing people advising NOT to participate in the event because they'll scale it in a game like this just weirded me out ...

8 champ bags + whatever else isn't worth 8 minutes max? I think the payout's fine for doing it correctly. The only problem I see is how difficult it is to achieve that. However, I would assume once you have it going, it can be maintained until the group decides to break off.

Damn why didn't I start this game sooner?! That looks awesome.

Just came out from Gawwziya
(Godzilla)
.. pretty good film, I liked that there was a lot of teasing of the big daddy. But I paid for a 3D viewing, got my 3D glasses on, a 2D copy was shown -.-

I can't really complain, we got free tickets for the inconvenience haha!

Good that means you can enter EotM or wvw tonight!

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
Came out on Steam yesterday. Everyone on my friends list is playing it. :(

Woops! Somehow I got Watch Dogs release and Transistor mixed up. Thanks, I wouldn't have downloaded it until next week otherwise.

There is some dialogue with her when she is at the Dolyak finish line area that talks about how her legs are going or how she is feeling as well.

Scruffy goddamnit. She'd have both of your heads for that

Finally, someone named him correctly.

BraXzy

In between matches, a new event that involves donating money is held. When this event is completed, a new blitz begins.

Ahh right that's better than forcing everyone to pay the same fee I guess? Where do you go to begin it?

Good that means you can enter EotM or wvw tonight!

I will be doing soon! I'm trying to fix a laptop for somebody atm haha :L

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom