• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT4| The only subscription you need is this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Moondrop

Banned
Is it good ?
Some thoughts on the PvP build:
- You've got the basics down- cantrips, water, arcana.
- I much prefer ether renewal to the signet heal; the sustain was never impressive to me, but I know it's been tweaked. Also I don't find that to be an overwhelming amount of condition removal on paper- if you popped them all you'd remove 4 conditions, and then have to wait a while to remove more.
- That single aura trait looks lonely. You can probably find something better.
- Don't forget to choose runes.

Thorgal

Some thoughts on the PvP build:
- You've got the basics down- cantrips, water, arcana.
- I much prefer ether renewal to the signet heal; the sustain was never impressive to me, but I know it's been tweaked. Also I don't find that to be an overwhelming amount of condition removal on paper- if you popped them all you'd remove 4 conditions, and then have to wait a while to remove more.
- That single aura trait looks lonely. You can probably find something better.
- Don't forget to choose runes.

Sorry ,i should have added that i found this build , i have not made it.

Moondrop

Banned
Sorry ,i should have added that i found this build , i have not made it.

Yeah, I figured that one out from the outdated page- for example you can no longer put a cleric jewel in your valkyrie amulet in PvP, you have to go pure valkyrie amulet.

Still it's a solid build; I would just change that one trait and consider ether renewal to handle conditions.

hythloday

Bah, new build dropped and I can't even patch it. Stuck at 0 KB/sec. Silly FiOS, you've been perfect up until the past couple of weeks.

At least they know about it:

Some players have told us that in the last week, they’ve started having trouble with the client download, or with updates.
Here’s what we posted in another thread:
Background: FIOS has been presenting issues with GW2 for a little over a week now. After collecting a decent amount of data we feel this is going to be a DNS issue on Verizon’s side as players connections are not resolving when hitting the server while on FIOS but can usually resolve when using GoogleDNS or Host file edits.
Suggestion: We suggest that players contact FIOS for help. We have sent an e-mail to FIOS already and we have contacted Verizon but at this time we are still awaiting their responses.
A Work-Around Suggestions from our Server Team: Set your DNS provider to Google (https://developers.google.com/speed/public-dns/docs/using) as that fixes this problem and will continue working into the future.
Thank you for understanding and we wish we could help more directly!

https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/forum/info/updates/Game-Update-Notes-May-20-2014/first#post4046104

tiZz17A.png

Anyone having issues with the game updating?
it refusing to update i am stream video right now with out a problem yet i can't get 1kb download..

Retro

Yeah, this Verizon thing is seriously starting to cheese me off. Somehow I was able to download the initial update to the point where I am at the login screen, but it's been verrrrry slooooooowly downloading the rest of it. Meanwhile my wife can't even get that far.

And yet it's hard to not acknowledge that their will to prevent exactly that is what makes it artificially harder for everyone, and what will lead to people to rely on guild like TTS to lead their instance to be able to do it which will end up being very similar :(

The event itself could be fine as is, but we really lack the in-game tools to make it work properly.

You can go back to when Tequatl was revamped, or Marionette and the Great Wurm hit, and when difficulty is brought up on the forum or in interviews, the response from ArenaNet falls along these lines;
Josh Foreman said:
We have an idea of where the average player is skill-wise, and placed the bar where we hoped would just a tad above that, in the hopes that they would have to stretch a bit.
. . .
The other question that I hope is answered in the positive is this: Can the average player skill be raised by challenging content like this? . . . If even 10% of that group hits a challenge like the Marionette and the subsequent tension causes them to look into these systems and they learn a new depth to the game they otherwise never would have, I think that’s a win for everybody. The average skill level rises, and in turn, we devs can make more interesting events that utilize the depth of the systems we have. (source)
They want to add more challenging content so the players get better so they can add more challenging content. In the same thread as the quote above, a dev says "We are trying to teach the community a new skill: self organization. And I’m happy to see that in the aggregate, they ARE learning." See, the emergence of a guild like TTS isn't the community being forced to step in and shoulder the responsibility of creating a solution to get around broken content. TTS is a natural method in which players teach each other how to overcome new challenges and become better players.

When Taco was first revamped, people said it was too hard, even impossible. Then TTS (amongst others) emerged and it was beaten. And not just by one or two guilds, but repeatedly. Not because Taco was made easier, but because the knowledge and strategy TTS developed spread and players got better. Marionette was similar, but I don't think it even took TTS getting involved, and the community taught itself how to do Mario. Not just once or only at prime time, but pretty regularly when there were enough people (which would have been made a non-issue by Megaservers). People ranted and raved about how hard and broken the Tower of Nightmares was too, and that you needed a zerg to get through it. They didn't realize that the whole damn tower was purposely built to clump people up into zergs with impassible barriers and bosses and then split them off with maze-like paths leading to another choke point. When that clicked with the community a few days in, it was beautiful and the tower became a fully-functional open world dungeon (and stayed fairly difficult too).

So as far as the difficulty level goes on the Boss Blitz, it's only been slightly more than 24 hours since it went live. Yeah, you can say it's "pretty clunky" and "people have already given up on this particular event" and that it has "lackluster rewards". But once people figure it out (and they're already starting to), it's going to be 8 champion loot bags +3 rolls on the green/exotic loot table in 8 minutes. That's ridiculously good loot and once the info spreads I wouldn't be shocked if it's on farm status.

I'm with you on the lack of in-game tools; commander tags aren't earned, they're bought, and they can utterly wreck a strategy if too many people show up with them on. There also could be on-screen health bars for all of the bosses, but honestly map chat can handle that need. I feel like the more they dump stuff like that into the UI, the closer they get to crap like Deadly Boss Mod where something is just telling you what to do when. I'd like to believe nobody would like to see that happen, but sadly there's some people out there who literally never want to be challenged ever.

Anyways, I guess the takeaway from this post is, it's been slightly more than a day since it came out. That's usually too early to be saying something is too hard or broken, isn't rewarding enough, etc. and I think by this weekend things will settle nicely. Either because the players get the hang of a new challenge or ArenaNet realizes it's too difficult and changes it (which they've done in the past).

In between matches, a new event that involves donating money is held. When this event is completed, a new blitz begins.

This is actually kind of a clever mechanic when you step back from it. The problem with stuff like Marionette was that it started at the top of every hour no matter who was there, so you'd have people waiting around to do the fight and then failing when not enough showed up. Having players pay to start the fight means they're investing in it happening right now, or at least very soon. I don't think too many players will chip in randomly and then disappear. The end result, I imagine, is that the blitz is only happening when people think it's likely to be finished enough that they think it's worth paying for it to start.

what happened to mumble?

We're getting some downtime tonight, when I check the server status it says it's running, which usually means a DDOS or networking issue. I'll see about getting it fixed if it keeps it up, but performance lately has been much improved.

Here's an idea GW2 should use: the special effects from EotN titles. I really like how, spending time getting the Dwarf title track up, gave me a nice buff against Destroyers.

Imagine if finishing your Personal Story completed the Orr title track, and now the Risen in Orr could no longer CC you, if you had the Title "Zhaitan Killer" or whatever, turned on.

Beats the crap out of the useless Achievement titles we have now.

hythloday

Following these instructions fixed my download issue with Verizon FiOS.

Edit C:\Windows\System32\Drivers\etc\hosts using notepad (run as administrator)
Add this line at the bottom:
174.35.56.164 assetcdn.101.arenanetworks.com
Save the file. If Notepad prompts you to save as a new file, you need to start over and run Notepad as administrator.
If you have the GW2 launcher already open, restart it. If this still doesn’t help, you may need to change the address above and try a different number (e.g. assetcdn.102.etc..).
You may want to remove this line later when (if?) they resolve the networking issue.

It probably took 50+ tries with a ton of different weapon combos, but I finally beat Liadri. And with only one second left on the clock!

Warrior Axe 3, Mace 5, and Greatsword 4 on rotation the entire time. If she wants to cripple me, I'll do the same to her. >_<

Boss Blitz is mega hard. How are people doing it gold? You must need a heck of a lot of people.

Organized players and being lucky to get into a server with a lot of people, when i got all 6 bosses earlier there was 15 people in my server, rose up to 25 by the time we killed the 4th boss, took an hour to kill them all, the most annoying thing i have done in GW2..

Boss Blitz is mega hard. How are people doing it gold? You must need a heck of a lot of people.

It's featuring the most extreme zerg scaling Anet has ever used. Any more than 10-15 on a boss, and it'll take 20+ minutes to kill it instead of 5-6 minutes. If people learn to split up, it can get done really fast with gold rewards.

You just need 60 people all knowing what to do, aka, 10 on each boss, and that's it. Nothing more.

But that is too complex. *rolls eyes*

It's not like this is Triple Threat.

Teggy

Trying to figure out if I want the salvage-o-matic. Are Orichalcum and Ancient Wood considered "rare"? Because if the chance of getting those goes way down I think I'd rather use the kits I make in the mystic toilet.

Jira

Trying to figure out if I want the salvage-o-matic. Are Orichalcum and Ancient Wood considered "rare"? Because if the chance of getting those goes way down I think I'd rather use the kits I make in the mystic toilet.

The salvage-o-matic is one of the best gem store purchases you can make IMO. Those two materials are amongst the most rare in the game but anyone can get some every day if you take the effort to grab em.

BraXzy

You just need 60 people all knowing what to do, aka, 10 on each boss, and that's it. Nothing more.

But that is too complex. *rolls eyes*

It's not like this is Triple Threat.

It's not too complex as such, it's just that unless you have a group of people, or the randoms know what they're doing, it's really hard to coordinate anything.

the salvage-o-matic is nice to have, I wonder how many times I'll use it before I get my money's worth though.

Levyne

Banned
It's not too complex as such, it's just that unless you have a group of people, or the randoms know what they're doing, it's really hard to coordinate anything.

the salvage-o-matic is nice to have, I wonder how many times I'll use it before I get my money's worth though.

People have done the math I suppose and the number is pretty darn high. But then you have to ask what is the price of convenience :p

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
People have done the math I suppose and the number is pretty darn high. But then you have to ask what is the price of convenience :p

It was the same way with the unbreakable pick released long ago. It wouldn't pay for itself for a long time, but the convenience was worth it to lots of people.

Wow. the final mission in Eye of the North is utter bullcrap.

EDIT: Got someone from Kamadan to help me, took 1 minute - whereas I'd been stuck there for an hour. Wow.

BraXzy

Still haven't managed to do Gold boss blitz, people are too zergy. Bleh.

I've nearly done 14 of the achievements though. Probs get the rest tomorrow, mini panda shall be mine!

I dunno what part you mean, but it is pretty blah. Pain inverter makes it easymode.

I spent an hour getting PI, didn't help me at all. I'm not sure what I was missing, but I just couldn't survive the first five minutes, nevermind fighting the Destroyer itself. Anyway, the dude that helped me seemed to know what he was doing.

Sadly, it seems just finishing EotN gets you nothing to put in the Honor section of the HoM. ;..;

Thorgal

It's featuring the most extreme zerg scaling Anet has ever used. Any more than 10-15 on a boss, and it'll take 20+ minutes to kill it instead of 5-6 minutes. If people learn to split up, it can get done really fast with gold rewards.

Yeah , i had one match last night where EVERYONE was going after one boss ,scaling him to shit and completly ignoring the 2 other bosses in the rooms on the other side.

Morokh

They want to add more challenging content so the players get better so they can add more challenging content. In the same thread as the quote above, a dev says "We are trying to teach the community a new skill: self organization. And I’m happy to see that in the aggregate, they ARE learning." See, the emergence of a guild like TTS isn't the community being forced to step in and shoulder the responsibility of creating a solution to get around broken content. TTS is a natural method in which players teach each other how to overcome new challenges and become better players.

That's one way to throw someone in the water and tell them to learn to swim :p

And I strongly disagree about it being a 'natural method', it's rather guilds that take matter in their own hands that do what Anet's poor implementation (and lack of proper tools) can't.

When Taco was first revamped, people said it was too hard, even impossible. Then TTS (amongst others) emerged and it was beaten. And not just by one or two guilds, but repeatedly. Not because Taco was made easier, but because the knowledge and strategy TTS developed spread and players got better. Marionette was similar, but I don't think it even took TTS getting involved, and the community taught itself how to do Mario. Not just once or only at prime time, but pretty regularly when there were enough people (which would have been made a non-issue by Megaservers). People ranted and raved about how hard and broken the Tower of Nightmares was too, and that you needed a zerg to get through it. They didn't realize that the whole damn tower was purposely built to clump people up into zergs with impassible barriers and bosses and then split them off with maze-like paths leading to another choke point. When that clicked with the community a few days in, it was beautiful and the tower became a fully-functional open world dungeon (and stayed fairly difficult too).

So as far as the difficulty level goes on the Boss Blitz, it's only been slightly more than 24 hours since it went live. Yeah, you can say it's "pretty clunky" and "people have already given up on this particular event" and that it has "lackluster rewards". But once people figure it out (and they're already starting to), it's going to be 8 champion loot bags +3 rolls on the green/exotic loot table in 8 minutes. That's ridiculously good loot and once the info spreads I wouldn't be shocked if it's on farm status.

I have no problem with harder content at all, but Taco and Wurm are permanent content, and that makes a HUGE difference.

I wasn't there for Marionette or the Tower of Nightmares, but like this one they were temporary content, and thing is with temporary content, and for good reason, people want to enjoy every minute of it.

This particular event will be here for what ? 1 month tops ?
Say things sort themselves out next week and people start farming this properly (I highly doubt that, but let's pretend) that's already 1/4th of the time of the event 'lost'.
There's no such thing with permanent bosses, and if there must be experimentation, it should be done there.

In the meantime, we're back to the same old crappy MMO situation where only a fraction of the players can enjoy the content the way it's meant to be played, except it's not based on skill/gear/builds, but sheer luck, a.k.a : are you in an instance with an organized guild to do the hard part for you.

Now, rewards :
If you want to be accurate achieving Gold would be something like :
- 8 champ bags
- 1-3 master to exotic items
- 10 Gauntlet tickets or more
- around 20 tokens or more
- a chance at a Festival ticket (needed for sovereign weapons btw which makes them harder to get than last year too)

(the last two are based on what you get with a Bronze reward so you'll definitely get more with Gold)

It is all fine and dandy IF you end up being able to farm it without interruption, and you'll certainly be able to make a profit out of it, but the bags and items are extremely boring, uninspired, on top of being heavily RNG based, and basically obtainable all year outside of this event.

Festival tokens may be less a hassle in aspect arena, where you don't have to rely on so many people to coordinate to get the job done, and get a fair share even if you loose after 5 minutes.

The only thing in there that is related to the event, and that may be more convenient to farm there even if you get bronze provided people learn to do things faster are 'maybe' gauntlet tickets. (which also leads to something that makes you gain some tokens and a 'chance' at a heavily RNG reward)

Personally, right now even knowing what the highest reward is I really don't get any urge to go and try to fight for it, and I'm someone who definitely is after every bit of scrap regarding tokens because I basically missed all the meaty parts of LS season 1 I can hardly imagine how some people that have the majority of those items may feel about all this.

But the 'reward' problem is also a problem of the game as a whole, that only gets highlighted more when content is designed to be harder.

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
Why not just try and enjoy the event instead of focusing on maxing rewards?

Morokh

Why not just try and enjoy the event instead of focusing on maxing rewards?

Because it's not enjoyable with other people doing as they please, and me as a player who can't do shit about it.

I'm also not the one that makes it about rewards, the way the event itself is designed does it on it's own.

I only have a big issue with the Blitz, the rest of the event, if once again short on interesting rewards actually IS fun to play.

Thorgal

Yeah, I figured that one out from the outdated page- for example you can no longer put a cleric jewel in your valkyrie amulet in PvP, you have to go pure valkyrie amulet.

Still it's a solid build; I would just change that one trait and consider ether renewal to handle conditions.

forgot to reply yesterday

thanks for the info

Katoki

Because it's not enjoyable with other people doing as they please, and me as a player who can't do shit about it.

I'm also not the one that makes it about rewards, the way the event itself is designed does it on it's own.

I only have a big issue with the Blitz, the rest of the event, if once again short on interesting rewards actually IS fun to play.

But it makes total sense for those who are organized to easily get their worth out of it after factoring the donation costs to get each run going from whatever may have popped out of those bags. The problem is that players are so used to mindless play that we're all generally screwed as of right now. If people put half an effort into paying attention, those fights would be so easy to deal with.

As of right now I personally think Baines is probably the worst boss due to no one ever wanting to switch to the turret unless it spawns on them.

Thorgal

But it makes total sense for those who are organized to easily get their worth out of it after factoring the donation costs to get each run going from whatever may have popped out of those bags. The problem is that players are so used to mindless play that we're all generally screwed as of right now. If people put half an effort into paying attention, those fights would be so easy to deal with.

As of right now I personally think Baines is probably the worst boss due to no one ever wanting to switch to the turret unless it spawns on them.

personaly i think the boss who has a reflective shield is worse since most people seem completly oblivious to it .

personaly i think the boss who has a reflective shield is worse since most people seem completly oblivious to it .

Things that will crush a zerg, from most dangerous to least:
Reflect
Non telegraphed fire
Heal % on being hit
Short cast, high damage PBAoE

Put any of those in the fight and you'll have people dying in droves. Part of the reason why you usually see stuff like those Veteran Trolls in eotm taking ages to kill, or the corpse fields during Golem Mk II.

Reflect and Regen kinda annoy me, though. Game should do a better job of communicating that those are up. Even making the icon 1.5x larger would be fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom