• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT4| The only subscription you need is this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ZWFaaR3.jpg

Top of new page too. Perfect.

whats rated as the best starting area.

Ask eight people, get eight different areas.

(Sylvari) Caledon is beautiful, and is one of the more "traditional" MMO starting areas.
(Asura) Metrica Province is huge with a lot of interesting events, and is also very pretty.
(Norn) Wayfarer Foothills is (half) snow. So you gotta like snow.
(Charr) Plains of Ashford can feel a bit bleak for some people, but I kind of like it.
(Humon) Queensdale is a very pretty area with lots of nice events.

Generally though, you're going to want to check them all out, since they all give great experience and are a quick way to level.

Original version of Sylvari before they were redisgned. Rendered by that_shaman on reddit.

http://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/...r_the_last_remaining_old_style_sylvari_model/

zFyuC2j.gif

hythloday

ZWFaaR3.jpg

Top of new page too. Perfect.

Never stop taking screenshots.

Re: Starting areas. My favorites are Queensdale and Caledon. Queensdale is your typical idyllic farmland, with adorable houses and trees. Caledon is bright and colorful and just beautiful.

The snowy areas are pretty but tend to bore me, so I don't care for Wayfarer Foothills too much. And Metrica's nice, but it's not Caledon.

Hellers

whats rated as the best starting area.

I always start with Queensdale. Then when I'm about to move slightly out of my level range I move to Plains of Ashford. Then to Wayfarer Foothills. By that point I can easily clear Queensdale. Keeps things getting stale.

Guild Mission Make-ups at 3pm EST. 1 hour and 40 minutes from this post.

Come if you missed missions last night or if you just want to help those that need the comms.

Ashodin

That reddit thread about the vines. It's entirely unnecessary to update the picture since we assume they will spread like before (and I personally check extra locations to see if there's more)

ikuze

Hey there!

I'm writing this, because I hope some of you can give me some advice.
I bought GW2 back then when it came out and played it every day and night until... the first X-Mas event, I guess (around that time, not too sure).
My buddies lost their motivation and I kind of stopped, too. Since then I haven't played, until two days ago. On Saturday, I 100%-ed the world map (again), fought some Dragons and wandered around looking at people wearing wings (wth there are wings now?).
But since I missed the whole first season of the living story and all of the things that came inbetween now and back then... I feel kind of lost and I don't know what to do. So many new things etc.
I only have my Lv 80 thief and I don't really want to start a new character.

(TL;DR) So what I'm asking you... can you give me some motivation about what can be done? Are there any cool new dungeons you can recommend? Which armor set should I aim for? Any other things to waste my time with?

And because many people post their characters, here's my thief Shokotan
PyrPNMx.jpg

Zeroth

Hey there!

I bought GW2 back then when it came out and played it every day and night until... the first X-Mas event, I guess (around that time, not too sure).
My buddies lost their motivation and I kind of stopped, too. Since then I haven't played, until two days ago. On Saturday, I 100%-ed the world map (again), fought some Dragons and wandered around looking at people wearing wings (wth there are wings now?).
But since I missed the whole first season of the living story and all of the things that came inbetween now and back then... I feel kind of lost and I don't know what to do. So many new things etc.

(TL;DR) So what I'm asking you... can you give me some motivation about what can be done? Are there any cool new dungeons you can recommend? Which armor set should I aim for? Any other things to waste my time with?

And because many people post their characters, here's my thief Shokotan
PyrPNMx.jpg

Joining the guild is the first and more important step! You will always have something to do, for there is always someone doing *something*. Then you can set some abstract goals for yourself, like "getting 1000 gold" or "getting a legendary". You can also do stuff like Fractals, which are dungeon like settings that test your abilities and give increasingly better rewards. I'm sure someone more fluent like Retro and give a better list, but I really recommend joining the GAF guild :)

Because everyone else is, here's my gang of 80s.
Generally speaking, I play warrior and ele the most, the rest tend to get some play time now and then because I feel like a change of pace or they happen to have a skill I need.
Clockwise from top left: Mornkor Tallrock (Main warrior), Amylina (Mesmer), Brünhildr (Guardian), Solanum (Thief), Lanius (Elementalist), Yohan (Ranger)

group_zps21ec36e5.jpg

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Hey there!
If you're in NA, we can definitely get you in the guild for starters!

If you come to our weekly missions (which are a lot of fun), it's a great time to meet guildies and get really useful rewards, and it would be a good venue to get some direction on what you might want to do next. Have you done the first two episodes of Living World Season 2, yet? The new one comes out on tuesday!

Anno

Hey there!

Step 1: Join GAF. The game is so much better with people around to chat and run around the world with you getting into who knows what kind of trouble. You'll never meet a better batch of people.

Missing Season 1 is a bummer because there was a lot of fun content, but it should by no means dissuade you from hopping into Season 2, which so far is a pretty drastic step up in most people's eyes. A recap video or two should catch you up with the story, and the devs hope to eventually put some of the S1 stuff back into the game through a recently-upgraded story journal that lets you replay specific missions for fun and bonus achievements.

So really, just join up with us and come along with whatever shenanigans are going on. Things could be taking an even crazier turn on Tuesday, so now is the time!

Retro

So what I'm asking you... can you give me some motivation about what can be done? Are there any cool new dungeons you can recommend? Which armor set should I aim for? Any other things to waste my time with?

If you haven't played since December of '12, you've missed about 30 updates and the entire first season of the Living Story, which is essentially a way for them to tell a multi-month narrative that changes the world in big ways (for example go take a look at Lion's Arch). Unfortunately, the first season of the Living story wasn't designed to be replayable, so all you can really do now is experience the bits that they brought back (mostly as Fractals) or see the aftermath (Kessex Hills, Southsun Cove, Lion's Arch).

Season Two just recently started and has been in-fucking-credible. Episode 3 starts Tuesday, so if you log in before Tuesday, you can get Episode 2 for free. You'll have to pay to unlock Episode 1, but it's only 200 gems which comes to about $2 US. It's completely up to you on whether you'd like to purchase it, it mostly gets the characters from Season 1 in place for the events to follow and I think you could probably safely skip it and just read a summary online.

The second post in this thread contains both a summary of Season One and a list of the major features they've added (though there's a lot of little things that didn't make the cut). As far as the specific features you mentioned;
  • Ascalon Catacombs was fulled revamped (new bosses, cleaned up some of the fodder, etc.), a new path was added to Twilight Arbor (the "Aetherpath") and several new Fractals have been added (and the way Fractal rewards work has been heavily updated).
  • If you're using full exotics, then you're ready to rock. They've added a new tier of armor ("Ascended") but it represents a very minor (<5%) stat increase and is intended as a middle-term goal between exotic and the more long-term Legendary tier.
  • If you do nothing else, try Guild Missions. Even after running them every week for two years straight, they're still a hoot. You may also want to give Dry Top a look as it's a fantastic zone.
And of course, as others have suggested, getting into GAFGuild is a good way to ensure you have groups for dungeons, missions and general exploring. Something is always happening.

Nivert

Hey all! Just started playing a couple days ago and having a blast. I don't play MMOs so I'm still trying to learn/perfect the combat strategies of my necro but I'm following a build I found from the gw2 subreddit.

Also, sorry I didn't read into the guild stuff I didn't realise I could have been helping to earn some Influence. I'll be sure to send a mail/whisper to someone tomorrow (can I check if someone is online in-game?) unless someone checks this before then my IGN is "Off With Her Head".

Zeroth

Hey all! Just started playing a couple days ago and having a blast. I don't play MMOs so I'm still trying to learn/perfect the combat strategies of my necro but I'm following a build I found from the gw2 subreddit.

Also, sorry I didn't read into the guild stuff I didn't realise I could have been helping to earn some Influence. I'll be sure to send a mail/whisper to someone tomorrow (can I check if someone is online in-game?) unless someone checks this before then my IGN is "Off With Her Head".

Added ya to the guild, just check the guild panel and represent the guild :)

Moondrop

Banned
Thank you to whichever officer restored my little Mist Warrior symbol on the guild page. I've never actually claimed anything on JQ for GAF in WvW; it would've been fine to use the influence selfishly pre-megaserver but feels wrong now that the pool is shared. There's only one circumstance it ever comes up- claiming camps with alt guilds to snag 15 supply when we've already claimed a tower/keep on the map. I really should create my own personal guild for that, and so I can learn the guild mechanics.

Hellers

I just kicked off an account transfer to Stormbluff Isle. Dunno how long it'll take. Nuts to my friends. They never play. I'll make new friends with blackjack and hookers

Moondrop

Banned
I just kicked off an account transfer to Stormbluff Isle. Dunno how long it'll take. Nuts to my friends. They never play. I'll make new friends with blackjack and hookers
Transfer should be instant; digital paperwork files quickly. Technically I can't say "welcome" since I'm not on SBI so, uh, enjoy your stay?

Do you need an invitation to GAF guild?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom