• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT4| The only subscription you need is this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Katoki

Why is it so difficult for people to just say that they or they and the people they talked to dislike something and leave it at that?

Retne

Is there any problem with joining the guild and not being on SBI? I've gotten back into GW2 and have been grinding away without a guild for too long now.

Retro

Is there any problem with joining the guild and not being on SBI? I've gotten back into GW2 and have been grinding away without a guild for too long now.

Not a problem at all, post yer username (name.####) and we'll get you hooked up. You can guest for just about everything but WvW (assuming you're on a North American server, of course).

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
You just need to be on an NA server.
Huh weird .

Now suddenly my game refuses to start with Sweetfx enabled .

Removing the DLL file makes it work again .
I ran into this issue too, and sadly I have no idea how I got it all working again. I might have switched back to an older preset or something. Remember to turn off the mumble overlay if you had that on.

For what it's worth I really liked your preset. GW2's art style doesn't get drowned out by saturation like many games do IMO.

Katoki

Rather that there is no huge problem but it's more beneficial if you're on an NA server. Otherwise all you get is a chat room depending on the time of day you play.

Moondrop

Banned
Why is it so difficult for people to just say that they or they and the people they talked to dislike something and leave it at that?
Because on the internet opinions are treated as an extension of the self. If you attack my opinions, you are essentially attacking me personally.

Well it wasn't really directed but it was convenient timing. I wonder if just the issue of being only an individual voice but this goes into social sciences I suppose.

Moondrop is right, in that many people treat their engagements online, what they put out there, as an extension of the self.

There is also the phenomenon of “hearing” a voice in your head (what some call “homunculus”, Latin for "little man") that results in a lot of the friction one finds on the Internet, or in people who get very upset when they read something they disagree with. It’s not that they're angry at the person who wrote it. Not always. Rather, they're upset at themselves for “saying” something they know is not true.

It’s a kind of cognitive dissonance, and it’s very uncomfortable for people who don’t understand why it’s happening. When you're chatting to a friend via text, be it email, instant messenger or whatnot, because you know them personally you've already set them up in their own “space” inside your head, regarding what you read they say as something apart from you. But when you come across something a complete stranger has written, that type of separation of self doesn't happen automatically, not without practice first.

Trey

To commemorate my Warrior's upgrade to ascended armor, I got her some new digs:

gw048noq1a.jpg

Only thing I don't like is how the jiggle physics on the breasts work. She's in platemail for god's sake.

Thorgal

You just need to be on an NA server.

I ran into this issue too, and sadly I have no idea how I got it all working again. I might have switched back to an older preset or something. Remember to turn off the mumble overlay if you had that on.

For what it's worth I really liked your preset. GW2's art style doesn't get drowned out by saturation like many games do IMO.

OK like you i have no idea how i did it but it works again .

Now if it still works with aa enabled we are golden .

EDIT:

Only thing I don't like is how the jiggle physics on the breasts work. She's in platemail for god's sake.

Wait what ? this game has jiggly Boob physics ?

Lunar15

Because this time i'm right. *hmph*
/s

Ultimately: Yes, I understand that me saying *anyone* is a fallacy since my opinion can't count for everyone. Even a sample can't be extrapolated to everyone. I get that.

However, getting called out for that was a little weird when that wasn't the focal point of what I was saying. We all do what I did and I just don't think it's a huge deal. If I was a constant dick, you can call me out for it. However, I don't think everyone thinks i'm a dick, and we have a general understanding of each other's tastes, so I assume a hyperbolic statement can get through every once in a while. Anet's correcting the issues, so I think the message was loud and clear for them.

ikuze

Thank you very much for your answers, you helped me a lot!

Joining the guild is the first and more important step! You will always have something to do, for there is always someone doing *something*. Then you can set some abstract goals for yourself, like "getting 1000 gold" or "getting a legendary". You can also do stuff like Fractals, which are dungeon like settings that test your abilities and give increasingly better rewards. I'm sure someone more fluent like Retro and give a better list, but I really recommend joining the GAF guild :)

So, for whom do I have to dance naked with my thief to be able to join the guild?
Oh and I'm from Germany... does this still work if I'm on a different server?

Getting 1000 gold sound kind of like an impossible goal for me. The most gold I had at once was like 30g. xD

I never really heard of those Fractals before, but they sure do sound interesting!

If you're in NA, we can definitely get you in the guild for starters!

If you come to our weekly missions (which are a lot of fun), it's a great time to meet guildies and get really useful rewards, and it would be a good venue to get some direction on what you might want to do next. Have you done the first two episodes of Living World Season 2, yet? The new one comes out on tuesday!

Like mentioned above, I'm on a German server and I have no idea if this works. :s

Step 1: Join GAF. The game is so much better with people around to chat and run around the world with you getting into who knows what kind of trouble. You'll never meet a better batch of people.

Missing Season 1 is a bummer because there was a lot of fun content, but it should by no means dissuade you from hopping into Season 2, which so far is a pretty drastic step up in most people's eyes. A recap video or two should catch you up with the story, and the devs hope to eventually put some of the S1 stuff back into the game through a recently-upgraded story journal that lets you replay specific missions for fun and bonus achievements.

So really, just join up with us and come along with whatever shenanigans are going on. Things could be taking an even crazier turn on Tuesday, so now is the time!

Everyone is speaking so positive about the GAFguild... is this some kind of trick to lure me into something evil?! :p

I really hope the Devs will put up the content of Season 1, so I'll be able to play it myself instead of reading summaries / watching videos of it!

If you haven't played since December of '12, you've missed about 30 updates and the entire first season of the Living Story, which is essentially a way for them to tell a multi-month narrative that changes the world in big ways (for example go take a look at Lion's Arch). Unfortunately, the first season of the Living story wasn't designed to be replayable, so all you can really do now is experience the bits that they brought back (mostly as Fractals) or see the aftermath (Kessex Hills, Southsun Cove, Lion's Arch).

Season Two just recently started and has been in-fucking-credible. Episode 3 starts Tuesday, so if you log in before Tuesday, you can get Episode 2 for free. You'll have to pay to unlock Episode 1, but it's only 200 gems which comes to about $2 US. It's completely up to you on whether you'd like to purchase it, it mostly gets the characters from Season 1 in place for the events to follow and I think you could probably safely skip it and just read a summary online.

The second post in this thread contains both a summary of Season One and a list of the major features they've added (though there's a lot of little things that didn't make the cut). As far as the specific features you mentioned;
  • Ascalon Catacombs was fulled revamped (new bosses, cleaned up some of the fodder, etc.), a new path was added to Twilight Arbor (the "Aetherpath") and several new Fractals have been added (and the way Fractal rewards work has been heavily updated).
  • If you're using full exotics, then you're ready to rock. They've added a new tier of armor ("Ascended") but it represents a very minor (<5%) stat increase and is intended as a middle-term goal between exotic and the more long-term Legendary tier.
  • If you do nothing else, try Guild Missions. Even after running them every week for two years straight, they're still a hoot. You may also want to give Dry Top a look as it's a fantastic zone.
And of course, as others have suggested, getting into GAFGuild is a good way to ensure you have groups for dungeons, missions and general exploring. Something is always happening.

Yes... shame on me. I really missed a lot of updates ;_;
But at least I'm motivated to play daily again now! :)

I even missed Episode 1 of Season 2, but if it's just $2 US, I'll just buy it then.

So my agenda looks like this (for now):

- Join the GAFGuild, if possible, and check out guild missions
- Try to find out how to properly play my thief again
- Check out the fracals+ (re-)visiting dungeons
- Try to get some money to buy the armor I could never afford before (and some bags)

Oh, and another question: Since Lion's Arch seem to be kind of dead, is there a 'new' place everyone hangs out now?

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
We have blood offerings every Saturday at 9pm EST. They probably forgot to mention that.

Katoki

Moondrop is right, in that many people treat their engagements online, what they put out there, as an extension of the self.

There is also the phenomenon of “hearing” a voice in your head (what some call “homunculus”, Latin for "little man") that results in a lot of the friction one finds on the Internet, or in people who get very upset when they read something they disagree with. It’s not that they're angry at the person who wrote it. Not always. Rather, they're upset at themselves for “saying” something they know is not true.

It’s a kind of cognitive dissonance, and it’s very uncomfortable for people who don’t understand why it’s happening. When you're chatting to a friend via text, be it email, instant messenger or whatnot, because you know them personally you've already set them up in their own “space” inside your head, regarding what you read they say as something apart from you. But when you come across something a complete stranger has written, that type of separation of self doesn't happen automatically, not without practice first.

Its much easier to do when you're outside looking in I suppose but what gets me is when some amount of people suddenly become this collective almost entire population that unanimously agrees. I'm still wrapping my head around the stuff quoted above because I'm slow and lack context. Would the part about complete stranger near the end happen to be the part where we usually go looking for people that are expressing the same sentiments and/or emotions about a particular issue to "make it right" so to speak. I can't think of that term used where people look for stuff to justify and support a certain side of an arguement or concern.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Like mentioned above, I'm on a German server and I have no idea if this works. :s
Assuming you'r actually on an EU server, no :( You'd need to transfer over.
We have blood offerings every Saturday at 9pm EST. They probably forgot to mention that.
They won't be able to participate in them from there, though :/
Oh, and another question: Since Lion's Arch seem to be kind of dead, is there a 'new' place everyone hangs out now?
Between the combo of Lion's Arch being ripped apart and Megaservers, all the cities seem to have decent populations at all times now. I actually kind of love it. You can just pick your favorite one to hang out. LA does still have plenty of people in it, but the services are so spread out now it doesn't always feel like it.
I can't think of that term used where people look for stuff to justify and support a certain side of an arguement or concern.
confirmation bias

Moondrop

Banned
The term you're looking for is "confirmation bias," and it's a huge problem that's even bigger than the internet.

Miktar is referring to something even more specific, what to my interpretation is kind of an internet version of "stupid or liar." If someone is saying something I know to be patently untrue, then either they're ignorant or they're deliberately spreading untruths for their own ends. Every contrary argument can be placed under one of those headings. On the internet the popular response to the "stupid or liar" conundrum is therefore arguing with fools or arguing with liars.

Actually, was I was talking about was that, when we read something on the internet we disagree with, because we read it in our "own voice" inside our heads, it's as if we're saying it. And when it's something we don't actually think or agree with, it causes us to get frustrated with ourselves for "saying something we know isn't true". Even though we're not the ones saying it.

Moondrop

Banned
Oh, he's going full psychology on us, nice.

Can someone explain to me why all those top thieves use Infiltrator's Signet in PvP? It's got to be for the active, not the passive, right? But they already have steal and the actual Shadowstep utility, why another shadowstep?

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Ikuze, I should've been more specific regarding your options on the transfer:
  1. Simply purchase the gems and buy the transfer with cash.
  2. If you aren't all too attached to them or far along in progression, you can delete your characters and pick a new server for free. You keep whatever currency you've earned and the contents of your bank.
  3. Apply to the SBI immigration fund, where we pool in-game money to send to you to convert into gems and buy the transfer. Let me know if you think you'd be playing enough to take advantage of this. It would be good to establish a rapport with us (definitely join the guild even though you can't play with us yet) if you are interested in this option!
There may be someone ahead of you for the fund as well, I'm not altogether sure so I'll keep you posted. Usually I use a thread on the gafguild.com site to keep track of this, but our web host is being a big jerk so it's down for the moment.
Can someone explain to me why all those top thieves use Infiltrator's Signet in PvP? It's got to be for the active, not the passive, right? But they already have steal and the actual Shadowstep utility, why another shadowstep?
I believe the passive effect is the more useful of the two.

edit: The active used more for the stunbreak than the shadowstep

Katoki

Thank you very much for your answers, you helped me a lot!

So, for whom do I have to dance naked with my thief to be able to join the guild?

Hawkian likes human women... with hairbands.

rks. :s

Transfer fund which can be found on the GAFGuild forums whenever they're available. I'm on a tablet so its not that fun to post too much.

Katoki

Oh, he's going full psychology on us, nice.

Shadowstep is a get out of jail card that can be used offensively. Infiltrators is an offensive only active where the passive is useful too.

Edit: sorry tablet no fucks given about double post. That and I personally use the signet offensively saving the step for if I need it or if the reward is higher than the risk.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
You can use infiltrator's active as a stunbreak even if you're already in melee range as well. I prefer Shadowstep all around for the condition cleanse on return but I can understand infiltrator's being the better choice for pure offense in PvP. I wonder if they're using the "signet use" trait as well.

Moondrop

Banned
Cognitive dissonance is not that high-level a concept. :p
That depends on your standards.

As to Infiltrator Signet that's your third shadowstep, not counting shortbow. I understand keeping the other utility for defense but you have steal as well. And I still don't get when or how to use shortbow. So much to learn; I'm going to have to watch those videos Katoki recommended.

Katoki

You can use infiltrator's active as a stunbreak even if you're already in melee range as well. I prefer Shadowstep all around for the condition cleanse on return but I can understand infiltrator's being the better choice for pure offense in PvP. I wonder if they're using the "signet use" trait as well.

I should play around with that some, trait and all since my trait distribution already supports it. S/P with sword 2, steal, shadowstep, and infiltrators is a lot of bouncing around.

@Moondrop: shadowstep out of whatever you ate, infiltrators strike or steal in and still have an "oh shit" or "catch me if you can" exit is an example.

Moondrop

Banned
@Moondrop: shadowstep out of whatever you ate, infiltrators strike or steal in and still have an "oh shit" or "catch me if you can" exit is an example.
Not to be obtuse, but the example you described above doesn't require activating Infiltrator's Signet.

Doing some testing on the passive effect and I think I understand. But that passive is completely wasted if you're not constantly using initiative... which I guess you always are for mobility.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
That depends on your standards.

As to Infiltrator Signet that's your third shadowstep, not counting shortbow. I understand keeping the other utility for defense but you have steal as well. And I still don't get when or how to use shortbow. So much to learn; I'm going to have to watch those videos Katoki recommended.
well that's what I was getting at with my original answer, if you are taking both shadowstep and Infiltrator Signet, the signet is primarily for the passive. a single initiative can become really important for burst. the shortbow 5 is also not a stunbreak

Retro

To commemorate my Warrior's upgrade to ascended armor, I got her some new digs.

You guys are making it hard to not reroll my Guardian as a Norn.

Can you shoot an invite at Retne.7268. Thanks.

Done and done, sent you a message in-game. Welcome aboard.

Yes... shame on me. I really missed a lot of updates ;_;
But at least I'm motivated to play daily again now! :)

I wasn't trying to scold you or anything, just letting you know what you missed. A lot of folks wander back into the game and assume nothing has changed because so much of what has transpired was temporary and left traces only if you know where to look (Not all of Scarlet's deeds left such obvious scars as Lion's Arch or Kessex).

Katoki

Not to be obtuse, but the example you described above doesn't require activating Infiltrator's Signet.

Doing some testing on the passive effect and I think I understand. But that passive is completely wasted if you're not constantly using initiative... which I guess you always are for mobility.

it assumes you're stunned to need the quick exit. When you exit, you can close or you can pack it up. Running back in is easier for your opponent to handle as opposed to reappearing and still having an exit because of reaction time and what they want to do to counter what you're doing.

Of course it also depends on how many thieves they've fought in their lifetime.

the shortbow 5 is also not a stunbreak
Blind is good too.

Shiokazu

To commemorate my Warrior's upgrade to ascended armor, I got her some new digs:

jesus, this is golden.

pun not intended.

my friend you got a
7wv32Ww.gif
/10

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom