• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT4| The only subscription you need is this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Retro

Why do you want to switch from best race?

That's not Asura

I'm nitpicky. I try to keep a balance of one of each gender / race and right now I have three humans; my male warrior, female elementalist and female guardian. Of the three, I like the Guardian the least.

Already met my quota on Asurans. It's funny that I don't have any charr, but am saving a spot for a future soldier class. Maybe I should just roll Charrdian...

spiritfox

I'm nitpicky. I try to keep a balance of one of each gender / race and right now I have three humans; my male warrior, female elementalist and female guardian. Of the three, I like the Guardian the least.

Already met my quota on Asurans. It's funny that I don't have any charr, but am saving a spot for a future soldier class. Maybe I should just roll Charrdian...

Well, I understand. I feel like I have too many humans too. I want to roll a Charr to balance out my toons but I just can't get over their lack of aesthetics.

BraXzy

So after failing Teq at reset in the wrong instance, and then unfortunately failing again when Harlowe and co tried to redo it for those who missed out, we finally killed the sucker!

In one of the attempts the mega lazer got pwned and a huge tidal wave hit everyone which was cool.. but also wiped about 6000 people.

Zeroth

I wanted to thank all gaffers who showed up for SBI's second attempt at Teq tonight. It really cheered me seeing so many of you helping the SBI folk, even those who had already done Teq and still helped. It's a shame we got the very first SBI fail this year, but it was an incredible effort and I'm really proud of you all :)

Ashodin

Guardian is so cool tho

Levyne

Banned
damn, the one night I decide not to log yall fail teq

smh

(I am completely kidding and do not know the circumstance of the fail/repeat try)

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Forgot this shot I took of the biggest little telescope in Tyria
iQZmJLZAcYCtl.png

Zeroth

So, I decided to work on how I would tweak fractal rewards. For my ideas, I'll work with the following concepts:

* Fractals should never give assured ascended armor/weapons as drops, nor give them at such a rate they are expected and Fractals are preferred over crafting.
* High Level fractals should be the most difficult content in the game and require good groups to complete.
* Pristine Fractal Relics have a default value which this will be build on, which is:
-10 pristine relics = Ascended Ring (which is 35 laurels OR 25 laurles + 250 badges of honor)
- One Pristine Fractal Relic has the same value as 3.5 Laurels

So, based on all this, I've worked on the following concept: Rather than making fractal running a short way to get good loot, give it a long time value to please players affected by the RNGesus wrath and tangible goals for those who do it a lot.

So, here's the thing: Players can exchange Pristine Fractal Relics at the Fractal Vendor for the following items:

* 50 Pristine Fractal Relics (155 Laurels) for one Fractal Ascended Chest
* 30 Pristine Fractal Relics + Fractal Ascended Armor Piece Chest = Choice of one of the two other types of stat distribution for this specific Armor Piece.

So, the first option is pretty straightforward: Give an assured way to get Fractal Chests, though at a pricey range and as such it's not possible to recommend doing fractals for the chest. If one was to farm fractals for it, the best possible scenario is 5 fractal tiers a day (1-9, 11-19, 21-29, 32-39, 41-50), and even so that's 10 days of farming. Considering each fractal averages one hour with the best possible group, we are talking about 5 hours a day doing nothing but fractals, equaling to 50 hours as a whole for the armor piece. In 50 hours, one can farm 150 gold doing solely dungeons (assuming a 3g per hour ratio, which is actually a bit higher for the more hardcore farmers), and that is roughly the value of an ascended armor (the crafting cost to reach level 500 in a crafting profession could be offset by the fact one has to reach lv 50 to attain a 5 Pristine Fractal Relics daily income). Furthermore, it's a nice reward for people who keep their relics since lv 1, since once they reach the fractal level cap they can buy a chest.

The second option is to give bigger choices to those who do fractals and have multiple copies of the same chest *cough*. The price is lower because it requires an item exclusive to fractals, and 20 runs or 70 Laurels sound like a fair price.

Well, this is a rough draft, but what do you peeps think? Like I prefaced before, I'm not an expert on fractals, but as an enthusiast, I think these changes could help both those who already run them and give more tangible goals for those who would like to do them.

Levyne

Banned
I'm convinced the game hates me when it comes to ascended drops. I think I once got a ring (a ring!) from a wvw rank up once. That's it.

This fractals seems like a good place to get more of those to drop. Maybe I should try those.

Mxrz

I haven't found the writing in season 2 to be inherently better than season 1. The same issues linger for me. Hopefully Rox, Braham, and Taimi will get more screen time now. Scarlet remains the most interesting character in the game. We just never had much of a chance to interact with her.

I'm digging a lot of the reoccurring minor characters. The Explorer group is nice in particular. Shame about that Quaggan.

Zeroth

I'm convinced the game hates me when it comes to ascended drops. I think I once got a ring (a ring!) from a wvw rank up once. That's it.

This fractals seems like a good place to get more of those to drop. Maybe I should try those.

Do you think Fractal Skins should also be a relic trade item?

I've considered it, but I'm not sure. I think the random drop aspect keeps the skins fairly exclusive and coveted, so what could be done is sell a box of fractal skins that gives a random skin. That would please both current owners and those who want fractal skins as something you can work toward.

Ashodin

I haven't found the writing in season 2 to be inherently better than season 1. The same issues linger for me. Hopefully Rox, Braham, and Taimi will get more screen time now. Scarlet remains the most interesting character in the game. We just never had much of a chance to interact with her.

I'm digging a lot of the reoccurring minor characters. The Explorer group is nice in particular. Shame about that Quaggan.

Yeah the faults of the main characters make the lesser background characters shine. The Explorer trio is some of the best side-NPC dialogue.

* High Level fractals should be the most difficult content in the game and require good groups to complete.

That was never the original concept of Fractals, when Fractals was introduced it was meant to be 3 or 4 quick mini dungeons, they have gone away from odds and even fractals, but it's still the same. even at fractal 50 the original concept holds true, 15 to 20mins per fractal, honestly if people really want hard content they need to keep asking for Hardmode..

leng jai

Just did some quick numbers and it seems the cost to make an Ascended weapon is give ~55g. Not too bad, less than half than what it did at launch IIRC.

Just did some quick numbers and it seems the cost to make an Ascended weapon is give ~55g. Not too bad, less than half than what it did at launch IIRC.

If you don't buy anything it shouldn't cost more than 2g, but it usually cost me around 10g to make one when i don't have the low level mats..

The main thing is that I can't be assed waiting for all the time gated materials.

When i found out all Ascended vs All exotic was a 5% increase i didn't rush, i took my time with getting my set, and even though i have enough mats to create 8 weapons right now i don't care to give my alts ascended weapons.. the Rare to Exotic was a larger increase in damage/stats over the exotic to ascended...I don't remember the exact number but i think rare to exotic was 8-11% increase

leng jai

When i found out all Ascended vs All exotic was a 5% increase i didn't rush, i took my time with getting my set, and even though i have enough mats to create 8 weapons right now i don't care to give my alts ascended weapons.. the Rare to Exotic was a larger increase in damage/stats over the exotic to ascended...I don't remember the exact number but i think rare to exotic was 8- 11 increase

I made a GS and a mace the "proper" way St launch and it was pretty tedious. I don't even care about the stat boost, just like the pistol skin and need more agony resist.

Hellers

I don't buy that many full price games these days. I find myself preferring to drop the odd bundle cost on F2P games I'm currently enjoying.

Hellers

It's ten scraps per ticket isn't it? I'm not keen, They're a bit too rare I think. This gambling stuff with the rng isn't really my thing. I wish they (And Perfect World in STO) would just outright sell the stuff

BraXzy

As long as you go in understanding they're a pretty big losing proposition more power to you. I like the skins but the the tickets drop a little too infrequently for my liking.

I kinda realised this yesterday. 5 keys cost 450 gems which is close to 45G on your average conversion. Most Ley Line skins in the store that come from the BL vendor cost 80G on the marketplace, so if you currently wanted a Ley Line skin, unless you get a claim ticket or enough scraps with 10 chests, you're wasting your money.

And then there's the skins that cost 5 claim tickets so then there's that.

Ashodin

Articles are up, seem to not spoil anything grand, except the back piece exists, which looks like it'll be similar to the blades and upgradeable, as well as omg kites

Zeroth

That was never the original concept of Fractals, when Fractals was introduced it was meant to be 3 or 4 quick mini dungeons, they have gone away from odds and even fractals, but it's still the same. even at fractal 50 the original concept holds true, 15 to 20mins per fractal, honestly if people really want hard content they need to keep asking for Hardmode..

I can see that in terms of how they were designed, but I think the higher difficulties suggest they were build to be increasingly harder, and at the moment I believe high level fractals are more demanding than most dungeon paths (for example, lv 50 contains many changes to fractals which ramp up their difficulty immensely). I do want to stress out I said *high level* fractals, not all fractal levels.

BraXzy

(I am completely kidding and do not know the circumstance of the fail/repeat try)

The first attempt, we were in the wrong instance because it took a long time for SBI to find a fresh one, so it filled up super quick. And most of GAF were in the wrong one since we all joined Harlowe who then ported out into the right one. It was no ones fault, just unlucky and the annoying thing was Teq health was milimetres away from death when time ran out.

The second attempt was with Harlowe and co. who kindly attempted to get people who missed out their Teq kill. Even though numbers weren't quite what they would be at reset, we were doing absolutely fine, in fact we were less than a minute slower on the first phase. Defense was going fine.. and then somehow the lazer blew up. A bunch of creepers or something :(

Where are these articles about the new update?

I don't know if I agree with that. For as long as I've been playing, I've seen the fractals presented as the game's premier PvE challenge. Everywhere from other players' opinions to official media.

Dungeons | GuildWars2.com said:

Moondrop

Banned
The only flaw I see in your proposal Zeroth is that there shouldn't be new rewards using the old Pristine Fractal relics. You'd need a new currency. Beyond the inherent unfairness, the point of such an overhaul would be to encourage players to visit high level fractals, and if they already have the currency sitting unwanted in their banks then it's just free rewards.

And I use the term "unfair" carefully. I don't think anyone should be unnecessarily rewarded for hoarding silk when it was worthless, or hoarding thick leather or ascended rings presently.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom