• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT4| The only subscription you need is this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shiokazu

i have to say... anet really learned stuff last year, it feels now so better. i just hope we dont face the dragon anytime soon, and i hope he is a silent enemy.

like a true monster, no emotions, no voice, omniscient, relentless.

Trey

Dragon Reach P1 spoilers:
A step back from last update but still interesting. I still think it's stupid that they're pushing this divided world backdrop again when the whole point of the first personal story was to bring all the races together. Where the fuck is the Pact in all this?

Anno

I find it interesting that new achievements are going in for at least one of these events under the General--->Explorer tab instead of Regions or whatever. Some indication this stuff might stick around for the long-term?

I find it interesting that new achievements are going in for at least one of these events under the General--->Explorer tab instead of Regions or whatever. Some indication this stuff might stick around for the long-term?

They already said that most of Season 2 is permanent, so that does include all the story stuff tied to missions in the journal.

Jira

I'm wondering though what happens to the Mordrem events when we inevitably kill Mordemoth? They're tied directly to the completion of Episodes so they couldn't ever get rid of them. You'd think that when their leader dies, they'll stop reinforcing areas of the world right?

Katoki

Getting wrecked so badly as a thief not using dagger offhand with 6 points into the toughness tree for being cheap in PvP modes.

Ashodin

A step back from last update but still interesting. I still think it's stupid that they're pushing this divided world backdrop again when the whole point of the first personal story was to bring all the races together. Where the fuck is the Pact in all this?

Wrong. Personal Story was about joining an Order, and then the three Orders combined to form the Pact. In no way at all were the original races behind the Pact, it was completely made up of races who joined of their own volition. That we managed to slay Zhaitan without any real full force army from any of the races is a huge feat.

Hellers

Did anyone get the episode finished yesterday? I got part way through but was too tired to continue so I went to bed.

The first bit

In Iron Marches I had no problem with apart from it being an insane zerg. Didn't impress me much though.

What Ashodin said plus
did you not notice the message from Traherne saying he wants to be part of the summit?

I think leaders at the summit are gonna get killed. Aerin was talking about killing a leader from every race not just one leader, to make everyone "fall in line".

Good episode as usual. I think we will have to live with the fact that from now on zones will have DEs happening from different times. Some will be relevant to current story some will be from previous story.

Hawkian is doing some questionable guild recruitment. I do not think these guys will be good for our community.

fH2zx4T.jpg

Retro

From Reddit:
I didn't see another post on this, so I figured I would clarify how it works based on the results of a guildie who bought one. (I personally found it unclear in the item description and patch notes).

1.) The portal stone will take you to your racial home instance.

2.) Using the portal stone, or selecting the "Exit Instance" button above the mini map will return you to where you used the stone.

3.) You can exit through the portal to go to the capital city.

4.) If you leave the instance through the portal to the capital city, you will lose the ability to jump back to where you were.

I hope this helps people one way or the other who may have been on the fence about picking it up.
fy29p4jkg.gif

I totally understand why it works that way, but I can't help feeling a little disappointed. There's nothing in my home instance worth paying 900 gems to have instant access to.

Retro

Not permanently .right ?

No, I assume you can use it later and it will allow you to port back and forth between that new location and the home instance. Leaving the home instance just means you can't use the 'return' function, and there's very little inside the Home Instance worth paying 900 gems for instant access to; resource nodes (if you've unlocked them) and some vendors. No Trading Post, no Banker, etc.

Retro

Then the question becomes, "what good are the Royal Terrace pass and the airship pass when the home instance will eventually have all of those features, plus the ability to return back to where you started?"

I dunno. I don't see the logic behind this feature, it smacks of exactly the kind of frivolous, overpriced items that people rag on F2P games for.
Not to mention inevitably some smart ass will comment that "Guild Wars 2 charges you $9 for what World of Warcraft give you for free, lol"

BraXzy

The only way I could ever see the home instance stone being remotely worth it, would be if like you said, home instances became similar to the Royal Terrace and you could easily and quickly go to bank/TP/Merch/Crafting and back.

I think they should just sell a Waypoint device that permanently allows free, instant teleporting along the waypoints. But that would save quite a bit of money over time so it'd probably need to cost 1500 gems or something.

Minamu

I reached lvl 80 for the first time this morning (aaaand nothing happened). I'm a bit curious on what to do now. I'm still doing the personal story, I'm at Sparkfly Fen doing the 65+ missions at the moment, but other than that I'm at a loss on where to go etc. My world completion is at 52% so there's obviously a lot I've missed including low level areas for other races.

Episode 3 Spoiler discussion ahead:

Well... shit. I kinda wish they had the balls to actually kill a main player off but a pseudo-death is a nice step forward. So, Rytlock's out of the picture for the near future, I would assume. I figured the cleansing of Ascalon wasn't gonna work, but I didn't expect Rytlock to end up in the Mists. The story so far has been pretty damn good. I'm curious to see what happens at the summit. I don't think it's gonna go well.

I also enjoyed seeing Eir and Braham bond a bit. I know a lot of people don't seem to like Braham that much but I do. I just love the Norn in general.

The only thing I hope for is for the team to get a little better at directing cutscenes Maybe it's the theatre geek in me, but I would have liked Rytlock's final scene to have gone a little slower. Not any flashier, but slower. Give a few moments for the gravity of what's going on to sink in. I think it would have added more weight to what was happening. Still, it's already a huge step up from the story beats in the Personal Story.

I think the Pale Tree is hiding something. She's being weird and I don't think it's unconnected with the fact that it's the Jungle Dragon we're facing now.

Shiokazu

Then the question becomes, "what good are the Royal Terrace pass and the airship pass when the home instance will eventually have all of those features, plus the ability to return back to where you started?"

I dunno. I don't see the logic behind this feature, it smacks of exactly the kind of frivolous, overpriced items that people rag on F2P games for.
Not to mention inevitably some smart ass will comment that "Guild Wars 2 charges you $9 for what World of Warcraft give you for free, lol"

anyone who goes commenting about that comparation of WoW to GW2 is just a uninformed jackal hidding in the shadows waiting for a moment to bite.

specially since, come on, it often took 15 mins to travel from point a to b in wow, while in gw2 you do it in just seconds using the waypoints. sure this private waypoint might be something useless, but its not required for anything anyway. crap, theres people in gw2 that dont even know they have something such as home instance.

Levyne

Banned
I reached lvl 80 for the first time this morning (aaaand nothing happened). I'm a bit curious on what to do now. I'm still doing the personal story, I'm at Sparkfly Fen doing the 65+ missions at the moment, but other than that I'm at a loss on where to go etc. My world completion is at 52% so there's obviously a lot I've missed including low level areas for other races.

Finishing the personal story is generally a decent start since it will at least direct you through Orr. Though most people don't care for it.

There's a lot of long ways to put this but I'll just put it a short way. Just do whatever you want! Personally, one of my first goals after hitting 80 was to see every dungeon path. Also now that you're 80 you can go into the living world season 2 stuff if you've unlocked the updates by logging in over the last couple weeks.

BraXzy

Money was literally growing on trees last night. I made near 50G from Foxfire clusters and the Piquant food.

What are the prices like now? They were fluctuating like crazy last night.

Levyne

Banned
Money was literally growing on trees last night. I made near 50G from Foxfire clusters and the Piquant food.

What are the prices like now? They were fluctuating like crazy last night.

Slowly dropping. Logged in this morning and I think the foxfire was at like 1.6g

I sold a clay pot for 40g. Whaaat.

Basically even though prices will be down I think I'll at least make the 3 recipe items over the next week and keep selling those.

spiritfox

I doesn't have to be the usual bank and TP, I can get that just by jumping into WvW anyway. I was thinking more of player housing, which may have other services when upgraded. But it's just a pipe dream. It's not like Anet has not sold overpriced stuff before. *cough*ColorSwatch*cough*

BraXzy

Slowly dropping. Logged in this morning and I think the foxfire was at like 1.6g

I sold a clay pot for 40g. Whaaat.

Basically even though prices will be down I think I'll at least make the 3 recipe items over the next week and keep selling those.

I don't have 400 Huntsmen or Artificer so I just have to make do with Piquant food.

Unless Foxfire clusters cease to drop in the near future, I can't see how they won't drop to a few silver a piece eventually.

Thorgal

I doesn't have to be the usual bank and TP, I can get that just by jumping into WvW anyway. I was thinking more of player housing, which may have other services when upgraded. But it's just a pipe dream. It's not like Anet has not sold overpriced stuff before. *cough*ColorSwatch*cough*

What i don't get is why there is need of player housing in the first place.

I mean , other then having something you can call your characters home , what could it offer that RT or the airship don't have ?

Levyne

Banned
Maybe they could give you doo-dads based on your achievements. I would go further but I don't enjoy speculating how it would be implemented when they would implement it a different way anyway (if at all).

Nivert

anyone who goes commenting about that comparation of WoW to GW2 is just a uninformed jackal hidding in the shadows waiting for a moment to bite.

specially since, come on, it often took 15 mins to travel from point a to b in wow, while in gw2 you do it in just seconds using the waypoints. sure this private waypoint might be something useless, but its not required for anything anyway. crap, theres people in gw2 that dont even know they have something such as home instance.

I didn't realise I had one until the stone came out but it doesn't seem to have a purpose. I did play Belchers Brawl or whatever there for the first time though and got whooped.

I don't have 400 Huntsmen or Artificer so I just have to make do with Piquant food.

Unless Foxfire clusters cease to drop in the near future, I can't see how they won't drop to a few silver a piece eventually.
clay pot takes 20 fox fire. Also all these recipes are time gated.

Minamu

Finishing the personal story is generally a decent start since it will at least direct you through Orr. Though most people don't care for it.

There's a lot of long ways to put this but I'll just put it a short way. Just do whatever you want! Personally, one of my first goals after hitting 80 was to see every dungeon path. Also now that you're 80 you can go into the living world season 2 stuff if you've unlocked the updates by logging in over the last couple weeks.
Okay, then I'll continue with my method of clearing everything in each map before doing the personal story and see where that takes me :) Should be fairly close to Orr now, I'm about to sink a boat I think. I've been curious about the story branches inside dungeons as well, might check that out if possible (gotta find them all first). I have unlocked season 2, but I want to do the personal story first :) Thanks. Cya online!

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
if I may
yayyy level 10 :D

So the new backpiece is pretty epic and awesome in the way of how you obtain it. I'm definitely looking forward to getting one!

i have to say... anet really learned stuff last year, it feels now so better. i just hope we dont face the dragon anytime soon, and i hope he is a silent enemy.

like a true monster, no emotions, no voice, omniscient, relentless.

oh god this story

hnnng

It rocks anyway, but this part of the living story is amazing if you're a sylvari.

Wow that Weyandt's Revenge jumping puzzle was so fun
thing of beauty here, so many aspects of the game past and present being enjoyed on the same day. For my part thanks to Zeroth's invite I got my first Triple Wurm kill (rather kicked ass on my Thief at Cobalt), then made ~20g in a half hour as part of the Orrian Cypress Lumber Company.

Haven't touched the new story yet, probably tonight. I still have lots of Dry Top achievements and story achievements from the first two to do as well :p

Okay, then I'll continue with my method of clearing everything in each map before doing the personal story and see where that takes me :) Should be fairly close to Orr now, I'm about to sink a boat I think. I've been curious about the story branches inside dungeons as well, might check that out if possible (gotta find them all first). I have unlocked season 2, but I want to do the personal story first :) Thanks. Cya online!
Story mission of dungeons are step by step progression of the story of Destiny's Edge, last story mission (Arah Dungeon) is the final mission of Personal Story.

Levyne

Banned
clay pot takes 20 fox fire. Also all these recipes are time gated.

Just so there's no confusion, this is the infused clay pot that you need for the backpiece. The regular clay pot (pre-infusion) is just 25 bricks (200 or fewer geodes) and some random other things (ecto, etc).

Minamu

Story mission of dungeons are step by step progression of the story of Destiny's Edge, last story mission (Arah Dungeon) is the final mission of Personal Story.
So I should do the dungeons before Arah (I see a lot of spam about it in guild chat ;) ) for the sake of story order (even though I probably should've done them when I got each mail about them I guess).

Levyne

Banned
So I should do the dungeons before Arah (I see a lot of spam about it in guild chat ;) ) for the sake of story order (even though I probably should've done them when I got each mail about them I guess).

lol

If you want to you can do the story dungeons in order, but it's not terribly necessary (or even required for the personal story, except for Arah). I just did them in some random order. But yeah there is an order to them in the sequence you received the mail.

Shiokazu

I didn't realise I had one until the stone came out but it doesn't seem to have a purpose. I did play Belchers Brawl or whatever there for the first time though and got whooped.

heres the tip, start with the old woman in rata sum. inside the rata sum player housing area.

:< it was one of my objectives. i had tons of fun doing it.

So if Rytlock is in the mists, will his instance be empty

No, because that's "in the past".

This is the one big blind spot of ArenaNet or their financial department right here, or whoever decided that it's okay to split up your Gem amounts into weird chunks so like if you want the 900 gem item, you can't just buy 900 gems with monies, you have to buy 800, then another 800, or a 1600. I know so many people who outright refuse to buy anything off the gem store (and they do love Anet and want to support them), but won't until Anet lets them buy the exact amount of gems for the thing. And I don't fault them - it is the slimy tactic of F2P games to put things on the store that are just above the minimum purchasable currency amount.

Yes, even I tell my friends - just get the difference with gold, 100 gems is like 25 gold, but it's the principle of the thing.

What i don't get is why there is need of player housing in the first place.

I mean , other then having something you can call your characters home , what could it offer that RT or the airship don't have ?

Originally, the home instance in GW2 had much loftier ambitions, but I think they scrapped it all due to rushing to launch. It's still a nice touch how the home instance changes slightly as you progress through your personal story (NPCs get added based on story choices), but it's so minor most people don't even notice it.

If they added some customization to the home instance, making it a place to store trophies, see your alts, check their bags and change their gear, that'd be sweet. There's no need to make it yet another TP/Merchant hub, it can be something else and still be functional.

Also, since the Temple armours have changed, it's now easier to get a starter set of what you want:

A5H71nA.png

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
The story mode of each dungeon does follow a linear plot progress, tangential to the personal story except for Arah. It isn't particualrly good (depending on how much you like interspecies bromance that is) but it has its high points, a couple beautifully painted cutscenes and it's at least coherent.

The explorable modes (which lore-wise take place "after you completed" the story mode for that dungeon) all have their own, much lighter stories that are self-contained (except for Arah, where all the explorable plotlines are actually fairly compelling if you're into the lore).

The Orrian Cypress Lumber Company sure does pay well.

It was a lot of fun hunting down trees and seeing hundreds of people doing the same.
I really liked the atmosphere down in Orr last night. Lots of events were getting done (even temples), but there was this confident energy with the big groups just gathering everything in sight as their primary objective. It was almost like you could feel that the players were in the "present" storyline, where the Risen threat has been mostly contained, but there was a new rush for resources that happened to lead back there.

Nivert

Should I be salvaging loot or just selling it? I'm not really sure on the whole thing.

heres the tip, start with the old woman in rata sum. inside the rata sum player housing area.

:< it was one of my objectives. i had tons of fun doing it.

I'll check it out :D

Should I be salvaging loot or just selling it? I'm not really sure on the whole thing.

I'll check it out :D

It varies from person to person, but I tend to salvage whites, blues and greens. If I get a yellow (rare), I check to see how much it goes for first, but usually I salvage it for the ecto. If it's an exotic, it gets more complex, since it depends on the sigil/rune in it, how much it sells for, etc. You might want to salvage and sell the rune, or just sell it plain, but if you need the Dark Matter crafting component, you'll salvage (unless it sells for a lot).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom