• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT4| The only subscription you need is this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Retro

So, if Wooden Potatoes' prediction is right and they're adding in manual Attribute distribution, here's hoping they also strip the attribute points out of runes and the entire concept of rune stacking.

My ideal situation; there's a single rune slot in your inventory that you can simply click and select which rune you want from a menu, exactly like in sPVP. You would unlock runes just like you do wardrobe items; once soulbound, it becomes available account-wide. Do the same for Sigils as well, just have four slots next to your weapons and let you swap them in and out from a menu. It would make the rune/sigil system function the same away across all game types, which I think is something they should definitely be trying to do to avoid confusion.

With that change, the only reason to pick one rune over another is the cool, gameplay-oriented bonus effect, not the boring stats. You don't have to worry that you're gimping yourself statistically because you decided to go with Traveler runes or you really want +50% endurance on heal from Adventurer runes, but aren't running a condi build.

As a bonus, that would kill the market on a lot of upgrade components, bringing the price down over time. I think we all can agree that the ridiculous prices on certain runes and sigils makes it hard to experiment without breaking the bank. If they add some new element where you can do something useful with all those runes and sigils you have left after salvaging (since they added account-wide Magic Find, those have become the new 'trash' items), all the better. I'm not sure what they could do with those other than integrate them into crafting somehow, but we'll see.

So, honest answer GAF, is the new backpack really worth it? I've been farming the fire things for the past day and have amassed enough wealth it Dry Top to buy the required items (however I will have to pay for the food through the TP due to not having a craft at level 400) but my younger brother says I'm an idiot and to stop wasting my time on junk. For reference sake I have no special gear what-so-ever and look like a beginner with a level 80 character.

If you like how it looks, then why not go for it? It's a fun goal to have, and there's a good chance the next episode will make the back piece look even cooler. Sure, the stats might not be all that, but you can always put the skin over a backpiece that has the stats you do want. Plus, the moment you finish it, you have that backpiece skin to apply to any character.

Moondrop

Banned
I'm almost a deer. I will soon step away from the shame that is rabbit.
And then someday you will return to using the rabbit, to inflict that shame upon others. It's the circle of
pvp finisher wild
life.

Also technically the mantra heal is only beefier if you have the 3 mantra trait, right?
Actually you can also trait for heal on mantra preparation, but it's generally not good strategy to try to prep->cast->cast after you take damage. The trait is suited for a full mantra build.

I want to relate one story from our PvP exploits last night. We won a fight 500-497 on Niflhel, and we earned it with a thrilling defense of mid point. After, one of our opponents wrote, "gg and ggn," which we interpreted as "good game and get good noobs" (btw, this was the worst talk I saw all night; tpvp was pretty chill). And here's the thing- he was right. Pound-for-pound they were probably more individually talented than us, and I'm sure they caught us making tons of mistakes. But it doesn't matter; our communication was the difference.

When we get 5 people in mumble, even if all don't have mics, I'm confident we will win 2/3.

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls
I played my first CoF 1 last night since coming back, fearful of path changes I did it on my Guardian. (no one expects much from a guardian in terms of tricks!) Used LFG-tool and had two mesmers on the team. They didn't clump guys, use reflection or make a portal in the boulder room. I figured somehow all of these things had been patched.

Then played on my Mesmer with GAF and proceeded to run it with all the tricks and techniques as usual. (With the exception of that sloped path in the ritual room now being sealed.) So I just had some bad Mesmers. That said, is there a place I can go to find a list of all dungeon changes?

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Allright, ether feasting it is

Also I crafted the Mysterious Vine and I got a Cultivated Seed. Does it grow into another Mysterious Vine?

BraXzy

So I just tried to continue on the story of Dragon's Reach Part 1, my journey took me to a brisk, chilly area of Frostgorge Sound. A tower was in need of assistance, great! I'll go and help now.

Oh wait the damn thing is bugged and people are standing around waiting for a Sons of Svanir wave that is never going to come QQ

New Trailer discussion and speculation!

Looks like Mordremoth is gonna piss in everyone's cheerios. I really think the Pale Tree might be in on this. Who called for the need to gather everyone together? That combined with the fact that we're dealing with the Jungle Dragon makes me very suspicious.

Moondrop

Banned
Thief stolen skills are amazing in pvp/wvw. I know I'm far from the first to make this observation, but let's break it down, shall we?

What I love about them, besides the super OP effects, are the synergies. Some work best against their original owner, but others should be turned against opposing teammates. Kind of like when a superhero team is in a stalemate against a group prepared for each of their powers, then they swap foes and clean house.

Guardian: Mace Head Crack - a 4s daze with 0.25s windup! This is one often better used against classes other than the guardian.
Warrior: Whirling Axe - a vicious version of the warrior's own, during which you can move, dodge without breaking channel (!) and according to wiki reflect projectiles. I think people must confuse it for dagger storm, because they'll just stand their and eat it.
Engineer: Throw Gunk - this one seems a bit underwhelming, but it's actually an ethereal field, which provide chaos armor and confusion.
Ranger: Healing Seed - oh you were holding a healing spring just for me, that will cleanse conditions and provide a water field just like the real thing? That was thoughtful. I need to test the duration.
Thief: Blinding Tuft - more stealth just makes the thief mirror match even more lulzy. But I'm not going to say no to steal (which stealths me) -> backstab -> dance until revealed gone -> blinding tuft -> backstab.
Elementalist: Ice Shard Stab - a 10s chill! Best used on a class with worse condition removal than eles.
Mesmer: Consume Plasma - hard to complain about receiving all boons, most of which last 10s (including protection).
Necromancer: Skull Fear - a 3s AoE fear at melee range is perhaps the most underrated of the lot; that can clear a capture point and guarantees resses and stomps if timed properly.

Let us hear any tricks you've found involving stolen skills.

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls
The best you can do this this: http://reess.carina.uberspace.de/gw2-patchnote-search/

Type in 'dungeon' in the search, and see if anything looks familiar. The problem is, a lot of dungeon fixes/changes are stealth, or simply not listed in the patch notes.

Thanks! That link is amazing.

21 January 2014
Unofficial patchnotes (GW2 Wiki)

In the Citadel of Flame, Path 1 (Crusader Ferrah), during the "Rescue the Engineer" event, the path down the ramp to the lava area has been blocked off.

The devs are such jerks.

Ashodin

Someone on reddit mentioned that there was a TBD Shatterer level slot in the boss rotation that was taken out, mayhaps we might see it return with this patch ;)

Ketch

Hey everybody, I'm re-downloading the game now... going to give it another shot.

Have they done anything to small group dungeons in the last year or so?

Levyne

Banned
Hey everybody, I'm re-downloading the game now... going to give it another shot.

Have they done anything to small group dungeons in the last year or so?

Minor changes, no real overhauls (except for Fractals)

Edit: AC was redone a long while ago, and the LFG tool is in place now, I'm not sure how far back I need to think.

Ketch

Minor changes, no real overhauls (except for Fractals)

Edit: AC was redone a long while ago, and the LFG tool is in place now, I'm not sure how far back I need to think.

Oh sweet LFG is new to me. I just remember dungeon's being complete non sensical spam/zerg fests.

Last time I played lion's arch was under attack.

Levyne

Banned
Oh sweet LFG is new to me. I just remember dungeon's being complete non sensical spam/zerg fests.

This is a hard thing to approach. Both because I am not as familiar with the trinity type system in place in other MMOs (only what was present in Guild Wars 1, which still had more dedicated roles than what is present in Guild Wars 2) and also because there are a couple mindsets when it comes to dungeon running in GW2, even within the guild.

Anyways, the chaotic nature of the dungeon instances is a common complaint. Some people will have expectations which will simply never gel with the way things are present in this game. If you expect to be able to strictly manage aggro in a way where there is a dedicated tank character responsible for it, then that's not going to be able to happen.

Unwanted chaos generally happens when the dungeon party is comprised of two mindsets and not communicating. You'll have half the party wanting to focus on damage, grouping enemies together, kill before being killed, and then you'll have the other half wanting to play it more ad hoc, going into more support-y or condition-y builds and less concerned with speed and would rather play the game more "as intended" (even though there is an extended discussion attached to this phrasing, but I can't think of a better way to put it).

Generally, as long as the group is on the same page, there are a lot fewer issues. When you aren't on the same page, you'll have one group of players wondering why no one placed any reflects on the blob or why they didn't pull any enemies together and the other group will wonder why they didn't take more vitality/toughness/condition cleansing and died so quickly. People will blame other people and then blame the game itself too.

It's not a guarantee of success, but generally if you're not partying with people you know, just best to double check "are we going to kite Kholer to the wall or just fight him in the chamber". And etc. We have people of both mindsets in the guild.

I'm not a great wordsmith so I hope I haven't said anything I wish I hadn't or mis-represented any ideas.

Katoki

Thief stolen skills are amazing in pvp/wvw. I know I'm far from the first to make this observation, but let's break it down, shall we?

What I love about them, besides the super OP effects, are the synergies. Some work best against their original owner, but others should be turned against opposing teammates. Kind of like when a superhero team is in a stalemate against a group prepared for each of their powers, then they swap foes and clean house.

Guardian: Mace Head Crack - a 4s daze with 0.25s windup! This is one often better used against classes other than the guardian.
Warrior: Whirling Axe - a vicious version of the warrior's own, during which you can move, dodge without breaking channel (!) and according to wiki reflect projectiles. I think people must confuse it for dagger storm, because they'll just stand their and eat it.
Engineer: Throw Gunk - this one seems a bit underwhelming, but it's actually an ethereal field, which provide chaos armor and confusion.
Ranger: Healing Seed - oh you were holding a healing spring just for me, that will cleanse conditions and provide a water field just like the real thing? That was thoughtful. I need to test the duration.
Thief: Blinding Tuft - more stealth just makes the thief mirror match even more lulzy. But I'm not going to say no to steal (which stealths me) -> backstab -> dance until revealed gone -> blinding tuft -> backstab.
Elementalist: Ice Shard Stab - a 10s chill! Best used on a class with worse condition removal than eles.
Mesmer: Consume Plasma - hard to complain about receiving all boons, most of which last 10s (including protection).
Necromancer: Skull Fear - a 3s AoE fear at melee range is perhaps the most underrated of the lot; that can clear a capture point and guarantees resses and stomps if timed properly.

Healing seed to a few heart seekers is good for a bit of extra regeneration. I don't recall if the immediate leap gives a small heal or if its just the regen working fast. Otherwise blast the point with shortbow since I assume you're talking about this in the PvP capacity if they're on it for heal and damage.

My experiences are different since I purge the stolen item in WvW more or less every time an engagement is finished unless its free stealth.

Taffer

Not really relevant but jammy kills are worth remembering:
Capturing a sentry point in WvW, I was jumped by a thief. Much flailing about mashing buttons later he stole from and feared me, as it happened I was mucking about with the 'Fear nearby enemies when you are disabled' trait so he got feared too. Terror was enough to down him so I hit him a bit and watched him bleed to death as I finished the capture.
Not Listed: All the times I died in WvW.

Moondrop

Banned
Healing seed to a few heart seekers is good for a bit of extra regeneration. I don't recall if the immediate leap gives a small heal or if its just the regen working fast. Otherwise blast the point with shortbow since I assume you're talking about this in the PvP capacity if they're on it for heal and damage.
Great call on heartseeker; leap finishers are indeed a self-heal equal in magnitude to a blast (~1300).

My experiences are different since I purge the stolen item in WvW more or less every time an engagement is finished unless its free stealth.
I dunno about this; the steal CD is ticking down even if you continue carrying, which you can do near indefinitely it appears. I would consider carrying at least the necro fear around (you could counter-troll in EotM :p), probably mesmer boons as well, and perhaps even the guardian daze.

But I haven't even brought my thief into wvw once yet; just reached 80 yesterday. Need to get the skins straight, pick out sigils, and unlock a grandmaster trait (who's up for CoE story?).

Edit: Very interesting, Taffer; I'll look out for that. Fear is one of the stolen skills that's probably better used against a non-necro.

Thorgal

Alright Moondrop , here is the PVP build for Warrior i was telling you about in Chat :

http://en.gw2skills.net/editor/?fJA...gCZLkBnDgC4mVWFbBA-TZRFwANOBAAeCARLDg4QAka/BA

Also the video if you are interested :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=stnsN5ozLsg

I 've been trying out this build in PVP for a while now and i am officially in love with it .

Nothing is more hilarious to watch tthen someone suddenly realizing he is bleeding out fast and has just wasted all their condi removers during the pin down earlier .

Katoki

I dunno about this; the steal CD is ticking down even if you continue carrying, which you can do near indefinitely it appears. I would consider carrying at least the necro fear around (you could counter-troll in EotM :p), probably mesmer boons as well, and perhaps even the guardian daze.

Depends on build, utility choice, weapon set, and then what you might be holding at the time. The distance covered with steal is also enough to consider this at least on my end. Can't say much else though since I'm at the point where I play complete cheese to succeed or fall on my face all the time without a dagger in one of the weapon slots. It might just be the level of the risk/reward and the reliability of my connection that's off putting. I also have a terribly casual mentality now as well in terms of getting better with classes.

A friend wanted to run Caduceus Manor story mode last night, having just hit 40, and had never done it before. I put up a LFG listing, stating "story mode, watching cutscenes, first-timers", and the group filled instantly with 40s (necro, thief, mesmer), and my friend is warrior, myself Engineer, obviously.

I took it slow, gave advice before each fight, and we actually cleared the entire dungeon without any issues except for a single wipe near the end (we were fighting too close to the snipers in the treehouse).

My friend said "wow, okay, dungeons actually rock in this game". His AC story mode run before, which I was not a part of, was apparently quite bad, several quits, people skipping cutscenes, raging at those who didn't, etc.

Who you play with, can make a huge difference in how you perceive the content. To anyone who's tried dungeons before and found them confusing or chaotic, or not fun, I'd recommend doing a casual run with people from GAF. It might surprise you.

Levyne

Banned
Random Cash Shop Stuff

3dc6f02-covert-charr.jpg

A friend wanted to run Caduceus Manor story mode last night, having just hit 40, and had never done it before. I put up a LFG listing, stating "story mode, watching cutscenes, first-timers", and the group filled instantly with 40s (necro, thief, mesmer), and my friend is warrior, myself Engineer, obviously.

I took it slow, gave advice before each fight, and we actually cleared the entire dungeon without any issues except for a single wipe near the end (we were fighting too close to the snipers in the treehouse).

My friend said "wow, okay, dungeons actually rock in this game". His AC story mode run before, which I was not a part of, was apparently quite bad, several quits, people skipping cutscenes, raging at those who didn't, etc.

Who you play with, can make a huge difference in how you perceive the content. To anyone who's tried dungeons before and found them confusing or chaotic, or not fun, I'd recommend doing a casual run with people from GAF. It might surprise you.

Yeah, I was worried about attempting dungeons for awhile because of all the "zerker or gtfo" stuff I've read but doing them with GAF has made it much more enjoyable, despite still making mistakes on my part.

I've started a few groups of my own with a listing similar to what you put, where I state I want to watch cutscenes, I'm new, and have no idea what's going on. Thankfully, people join who are willing to take it slow so but it's rare to find people like that.

Mxrz

I like your idea of using the PvP rune/sigil system in the other game modes, but nothing about the manual attribute distribution stuff he described is appealing to me.

Yeah, this would be a big blow to my interest in the game.

Hrgk. They get all the boons? Thought stability alone was bad enough.

BraXzy

Yeah, I saw on Reddit the Knapsack is basically a loss.

R6mA2WY.png

Who is this handsome stranger who's saving us from making bad choices?

I knew it was bad value but thanks to that mysteriously charming fellow on Reddit, I now know exactly how bad it is.

I'm still waiting on a new infinite tool to come out. By the time they wise up and add a logging axe, 80% of people who were hyped in Orr chopping trees will have got bored and not see the need for one.

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
You mean give us an option to throw them groundtarget, or autothrow non-target. You wouldn't want to remove groundtargeted throws from nades, that'd be daft.

Yeah, it would be nice if they could be toggled between auto and manual target. I'm not sure how that would work though, but it'd be great.

Grenades being all ground target is the main reason I hate them.

Recently I have read on here that there's some useful stuff to buy with laurels, especially T6 mats; question is, can I buy them in bulk or are they like one a day or something?
I mean, should I start using them right now so that I'll have the materials for when I want them?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom