• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT4| The only subscription you need is this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Recently I have read on here that there's some useful stuff to buy with laurels, especially T6 mats; question is, can I buy them in bulk or are they like one a day or something?
I mean, should I start using them right now so that I'll have the materials for when I want them?

You can buy by how many laurels you have, you get 3 random T6 per 1 laurel, another way to gamble on t6 mats is Mystic Clovers if you do them by the 10's, and you don't get Mystic clovers you could end up with 17-39 of 1 random t6 mat. but it's a huge gamble, my friend did this gamble to get a ton of his t6 mats he was getting 30plus every damn time, imagine 30 Vials of Powerful Blood for the cost of 10 ectos.

Moondrop

Banned
I knew sylvari cultural gear has glow effects of its own, which is pretty amazing. Now I see sylvari cultural and TA gear have large swaths that are directly tied to the sylvari's skin tone. So to properly dye my mixed cultural look for my thief, I have to apply all the dyes, then open up a total makeover kit and preview all the skin tones. I originally made this sylvari to be an off-color, but of course it looks best in green.

Sylvari top tier Princess Wars.

Icomp

Hope you don't mind doing everything you already did just better and faster.

I guess only thing you couldn't participate in was the living story.

Living story, Fractals, 80's zones (didn't want to explore everything so hastily), 80's dungeons, explorable modes for every dungeon (got kicked out trying to do anything since eveyrone wanted zerks at 80)

Question.

Can I pay gems to play the living season 1 missions or did I join in on the fun too late?

They might rerelease season 1 in the future as a bundle but season 1 was not build same way as 2 so it's gonna be difficult for them to repurpose it so it works as season 2 does.

Just watch a recap video online, it will catch you up pretty well.

ys45

Decided to get back into this game after a 2 years break, had a Guardian lvl 65ish
I'm going to restart from lvl 1 as too much things changed.

I Think I'm going to simply delete my char and create one on Storm bluff server so I can join GAF guild.

Or should I transfer my char instead ? how much does it cost ?

Thorgal

Still getting the diconnect error from time to time :(

Also :

Idq6sw0.png

spiritfox

I give up, I just can't make Ascended armor look good. The design is too ornate for the dye spots it has, and is just poorly placed. This sucks since this is one of the few medium armors that are not trenchcoats or revealing outfits.

Decided to get back into this game after a 2 years break, had a Guardian lvl 65ish

I Think I'm going to simply delete my char and create one on Storm bluff server so I can join GAF guild.

Around 1000 gems depending on server capacity at that time. It's better to just delete and restart, since all your stuff in the bank and wallet will be carried over regardless.

Levyne

Banned
Damn damn..

Is The ruined city of Arah a very hard place to do Explorable in?

They're the toughest set of explorable paths, in general.

Are you on an NA server or an EU one? If you're on NA, then you don't really need to transfer to SBI, you'll just want to guest over for Guild Mission nights to make sure you get credit for those.

If you're on EU, and If you're willing to start over and delete your guardian, you can transfer to SBI for free. You can keep anything you keep in the bank. Let us know if you want a guild invite (accountname.#### or such).

Thorgal

If you are ever gonna do Arah path 4 be sure to bring snacks , a bottle of water and get comfy cause you will be in there for a few hours . :p

Minamu

Are there any lvl 80's guides out there? I'm creeping up on Arah in the story and frankly, I have no clue what to do with upgrade slots and the signs I get from weapon salvaging etc. I did spend all my karma on some cooler looking outfits, half a set basically, the other day because they had better stats, but I really could use some new Mesmer weapons and fancier clothes :lol I've been following the bigger events in hopes of getting better loot but I mostly get crap or good stuff for other classes of course. I'm probably way behind in gathering resources too, selling everything to the merchants dirt cheap until I was at least lvl 60+ :/

ys45

Are you on an NA server or an EU one? If you're on NA, then you don't really need to transfer to SBI, you'll just want to guest over for Guild Mission nights to make sure you get credit for those.

If you're on EU, and If you're willing to start over and delete your guardian, you can transfer to SBI for free. You can keep anything you keep in the bank. Let us know if you want a guild invite (accountname.#### or such).

I'm on an NA server but I prefer to restart since I forgot a lot of things about the game mechanics so i'l just put my stuff in the bank that I want to keep and I will have them on the new server even if I start a new char including gold ?
I would appreciate a guild invite please my account name is Kyo.3215 not sure what will be my char name yet thought.

Thorgal

I'm on an NA server but I prefer to restart since I forgot a lot of things about the game mechanics so i'l just put my stuff in the bank that I want to keep and I will have them on the new server even if I start a new char including gold ?
I would appreciate a guild invite please my account name is Kyo.3215 not sure what will be my char name yet thought.

Yes .

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls
Being on a different server isn't an issue except for WvW, correct? There's no way to do it with someone who didn't pick Stormbluff? Forgot to tell my gf what server to pick and I'm pretty sure she's too invested in her character to reroll.

(Do people even WvW anymore?)

Levyne

Banned
Are there any lvl 80's guides out there? I'm creeping up on Arah in the story and frankly, I have no clue what to do with upgrade slots and the signs I get from weapon salvaging etc.I did spend all my karma on some cooler looking outfits, half a set basically, the other day because they had better stats, but I really could use some new Mesmer weapons and fancier clothes :lolI've been following the bigger events in hopes of getting better loot but I mostly get crap or good stuff for other classes of course. I'm probably way behind in gathering resources too, selling everything to the merchants dirt cheap until I was at least lvl 60+ :/

Most of those are (probably) vendor garbage at this point if you're 80 now. Rare (yellow) runes and sigils you can toss into the mystic forge 4 at a time to hope for a valuable exotic level rune/sigil back but I just prefer to sell them on the trading post for 4-5s each. For exotic gear, the Temple Armor in Orr and the WvW sets are generally the easiest to obtain, but if you're low on Karma or Badges of Honor you might just need to use Rares for a while, which isn't a big deal. You could also probably buy some off 80 exotics on the trading post for fairly cheap.

As for getting weapons you want, hoping for one to drop that's a type/stat/skin that you want is going to be a tough wait. What I used to do was buy pearl weapons off of the trading post and then transmute them later but now you can just skin them immediately if you have the skin you want to use and a transmutation charge. Getting exotic runes and sigils for your armor is a little tougher, but there's some on the trading post that are good value alternatives to the really pricey stuff. Hard to suggest though without knowing what you're running. Some sigils you can offset the price a little by using Skill Points to craft a mystic forge item with the sigil instead of buying it straight from the TP.

Yeah, your bank and wallet are safe.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Avoided this thraid all day yesterday cause I hand't quite finished the episode. Did it before bed, awesome last fight!
Being on a different server isn't an issue except for WvW, correct? There's no way to do it with someone who didn't pick Stormbluff? Forgot to tell my gf what server to pick and I'm pretty sure she's too invested in her character to reroll.

(Do people even WvW anymore?)
Correct, correct, yes*

*NA servers cannot play with EU servers in any capacity however
Levyne said:
You could also probably buy some off 80 exotics on the trading post for fairly cheap.
Also consider non-80 exotics off the Trading post. Sometimes you can save ~1g or even more by going for items with like less than 10 points difference in stats.

You can also start running dungeons, specifically the quick and easy paths, to earn gold and 80 exotic gear at the same time.

Levyne

Banned
Also consider non-80 exotics off the Trading post. Sometimes you can save ~1g or even more by going for items with like less than 10 points difference in stats.

You can also start running dungeons, specifically the quick and easy paths, to earn gold and 80 exotic gear at the same time.

Oops, that's what I meant, should have used a hyphen.

"off-80 exotics"

Maybe that was a weird way to word it

BraXzy

If you want to start from scratch anyway, and you were on an NA server to begin with. You might as well dump anything you want to keep in your bank and then delete your guy and select Stormbluff Isle as your new world. Then remake whichever character and you'll find your stuff waiting for you in your bank. The transfer to SBI is 1800 gems last time someone checked so it's quite the ticket for a single non-80 character you want to redo anyway.

There are a still a ton of dungeon paths I haven't done, and even a few story dungeons.

I should get on that one of these days.

According to my dungeon completion achievement, I'm missing 3 story paths but I don't have a clue which ones outside of Arah :L

Avoided this thraid all day yesterday cause I hand't quite finished the episode. Did it before bed, awesome last fight!

Darn it Hawk! I was still stuck in frostgorge thanks to a bug, I'll give it another go tonight and just keep my fingers crossed for it working :/

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Oops, that's what I meant, should have used a hyphen.

"off-80 exotics"

Maybe that was a weird way to word it
oh weird, I totally see it now, but I read it as "some of 80 exotics" like you were just missing a "the" or something.

Also my new PC should be in working order (not finished, I've still got some goodies on the way, but playable) by tonight :)

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Hmm nades aren't doing much damage as I thought even with more damage/+1 grenade/vulnerability trait. Then again I'm focused in power/condition damage/vitality

Thorgal

While i can apreciate my uncles Character crafting skills , i decided to reroll my norn Ranger .

I did like the name though so here is Bahan Sabel 2.0 : baddass grandpa and big game hunter .

Now i still need a human class to complete the set .

Mesmer or Thief ,Gaf ?

Levito

Banned
You know, it doesn't matter how many hours I put into this game--I never get tired of the art direction. Every screen to guys post just looks so gorgeous.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Hmm nades aren't doing much damage as I thought even with more damage/+1 grenade/vulnerability trait. Then again I'm focused in power/condition damage/vitality
They're not my area of expertise but I imagine that grenades without some sort of focus on critical damage is a bit like a skateboard with three wheels. if you're going grenades you want to be seeing big numbers, and use the survivability you get from being able to attack from ridiculously far away to focus on more offense-oriented gear.

If you're on cond damage the #2 grenade is going to be your biggest damage over time, so you'll want to throw that every chance you get.

I had some really good luck with finding a random group for Honor of the Waves. We managed to get the second and third paths out of the way (I understand why no one does either of those now) and went back to do the first.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
They're not my area of expertise but I imagine that grenades without some sort of focus on critical damage is a bit like a skateboard with three wheels. if you're going grenades you want to be seeing big numbers, and use the survivability you get from being able to attack from ridiculously far away to focus on more offense-oriented gear.

Now that I think about it my accessories are not yet up to speed, still lv20s lol

If you're on cond damage the #2 grenade is going to be your biggest damage over time, so you'll want to throw that every chance you get.

Yeah, been playing numbers with nades lol

Been wondering if I should ditch pistol/shield for a rifle.

Ketch

This is a hard thing to approach. Both because I am not as familiar with the trinity type system in place in other MMOs (only what was present in Guild Wars 1, which still had more dedicated roles than what is present in Guild Wars 2) and also because there are a couple mindsets when it comes to dungeon running in GW2, even within the guild.

Anyways, the chaotic nature of the dungeon instances is a common complaint. Some people will have expectations which will simply never gel with the way things are present in this game. If you expect to be able to strictly manage aggro in a way where there is a dedicated tank character responsible for it, then that's not going to be able to happen.

Unwanted chaos generally happens when the dungeon party is comprised of two mindsets and not communicating. You'll have half the party wanting to focus on damage, grouping enemies together, kill before being killed, and then you'll have the other half wanting to play it more ad hoc, going into more support-y or condition-y builds and less concerned with speed and would rather play the game more "as intended" (even though there is an extended discussion attached to this phrasing, but I can't think of a better way to put it).

Generally, as long as the group is on the same page, there are a lot fewer issues. When you aren't on the same page, you'll have one group of players wondering why no one placed any reflects on the blob or why they didn't pull any enemies together and the other group will wonder why they didn't take more vitality/toughness/condition cleansing and died so quickly. People will blame other people and then blame the game itself too.

It's not a guarantee of success, but generally if you're not partying with people you know, just best to double check "are we going to kite Kholer to the wall or just fight him in the chamber". And etc. We have people of both mindsets in the guild.

I'm not a great wordsmith so I hope I haven't said anything I wish I hadn't or mis-represented any ideas.

Yea I think that's kind of my thought process ended up as well. Like after doing a couple dungeons and realizing that there's really no aggro mechanic or any concept of "playing your class" like a typical mmo... I realized that everyone just needs to build max damage ... and I thought why am I a mesmer? or why is anybody a class, lets all just pick greatswords and then I realized that's what was happening.

Levyne

Banned
Yea I think that's kind of my thought process ended up as well. Like after doing a couple dungeons and realizing that there's really no aggro mechanic or any concept of "playing your class" like a typical mmo... I realized that everyone just needs to build max damage ... and I thought why am I a mesmer? or why is anybody a class, lets all just pick greatswords and then I realized that's what was happening.

Mesmer feedback, time warp, and Focus skills are supremely useful in dungeons, off of the top of my head.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
That trait seems kind of, um, awesome? How are the Necro elite cooldowns, any under 100s?
Now that I think about it my accessories are not yet up to speed, still lv20s lol

Been wondering if I should ditch pistol/shield for a rifle.
Now that I think about it, you're using Carrion gear aren't you? There's no power primary with condition damage...

If so then maybe you want to go all in on condition damage rather than think about criticals... I'd say stick to Pistol/Shield, add tool kit in addition to grenades, and play it more close-range.

Or you could go the other direction for max direct damage grenades, or a hybrid. Something to think about when you choose your new accessories

I find it really helps to think of Guild Wars 2 as a game more akin to Golden Axe. It's a "unity" system in that everyone generally has the same main goal - kill that thing - but how each profession goes about it, and plays, is radically different.

Guild Wars 2 does have a set aggro system, but it's on a per enemy basis, and there seems to be a bit of RNG applied to each monster's aggro table and conditions, to prevent people from explicitly exploiting it. But you still can. For example, the Troll in the cave in Queensdale, will *always* stop what he's doing and go for someone trying to revive someone. Some enemies go for whoever has the highest Toughness the most, some go for those who melee, etc. It's not as chaotic as it looks, but you have to do an encounter many times before you start seeing the patterns.

There is a *soft trinity* in GW2, of Damage, Control and Support, but it's soft because you don't require anyone to be conscious of those roles. The nice thing is, each profession can technically do each of the three roles, at any time.

There is a huge difference between five players going into a dungeon and only focusing on damage damage damage, and five players doing a dungeon and focusing on damage but also covering each other, applying control, doing condition removal, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom