• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT4| The only subscription you need is this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheMax

Neo Member
So here is a question as there seems to be a bug going around of people's seeds getting replaced with the new one so ijust wnt to confirm :

the pet seed is for the next step of the vine back piece if you already have it correct ?

it goes like this

first you got mysterious seed by combining with various item of living story dragon reach part1 you can make mysterious vine exotic backpiece and get a cultivated seed

second you take the cultivated seed with the item of living story dragon reach part 2 you can make cultivated vine exotic back piece and get a pet seed

finally by taking the pet seed and collecting various item around the world you should be able to make the ascended version the back piece mawdrey

the problem is if you made the mysterious vine before the latest patch the cultivated seed you had got switched to a pet seed also you cannot use the pet seed to make the ascended version because the item you need to make it will not be availlable until you completed the cultivated vine back piece

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
actually to make a mist infused pot you need a clay pot, bloodstone dust, foxfire cluster and a mist stone (bought in mist of the fractal with 5 pristine fractal relic). But from what i read you might want to wait since the other component for making the ascended version of the backpiece might be locked if you did not make the cultivated vine backpiece first.

I thought it was because Cultivated Seed became Pet Seed.

Arrrgh

BraXzy

I'm not a big fan of the current back piece, but then again, it really doesn't suit my Charr Warrior. I'm sure it looks great on Sylvari particularly.

I do however like how they really make you work for it and go on an adventure for it. And I agree, I think this is Anet testing the waters for possible Precursor Crafting. Whatever form that eventually comes in as, there will most assuredly be a lot of time gated stuff, and upgrading stuff, and searchig for stuff much like this backpiece.

My PC is currently doing a disc check and it really isn't looking good. Yesterday it was acting REALLY weird. I took a screenshot in-game which then made the entire computer freeze for a few seconds, which I assume was due to a hard drive freaking out at writing something to disc. Then when I tried to open windows explorer it was having none of it, and like I said it wouldn't get passed Starting Windows before.

Hawk, did you make a deal with the devil to pass your computer problems onto someone else? D:

Thorgal

it goes like this

first you got mysterious seed by combining with various item of living story dragon reach part1 you can make mysterious vine exotic backpiece and get a cultivated seed

second you take the cultivated seed with the item of living story dragon reach part 2 you can make cultivated vine exotic back piece and get a pet seed

finally by taking the pet seed and collecting various item around the world you should be able to make the ascended version the back piece mawdrey

the problem is if you made the mysterious vine before the latest patch the cultivated seed you had got switched to a pet seed also you cannot use the pet seed to make the ascended version because the item you need to make it will not be availlable until you completed the cultivated vine back piece

This has happened to me then as i only made the mysterious vine back piece and only have a pet seed now .

Great .

BraXzy

So I just did a bit of googling based on the error my Check Disk is currently having and.. it looks like one of my HDD's is failing and or gone kaput. Problem is I'm not sure which.

Once this finishes I'll try and get to the route of the problem. I sure as hell hope it isn't my SSD.

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls
So are those infinite gathering tool items ever coming back?

I never really saw the value of them before but now I'm just annoyed by broken gathering tools.

BraXzy

So are those infinite gathering tool items ever coming back?

I never really saw the value of them before but now I'm just annoyed by broken gathering tools.

They regularly make re-appearances in the gem store. You just have to wait for them unfortunately.

I'm still waiting on the lightning axe.

Levito

Banned
No hate for anyone, it's just that sometimes the "hee hee ho ho look at those losers" shtick gets a little old and I lashed out. It's the fly in the ointment sometimes, if you will..

I think it's just venting, at least that's what it comes off as to me. GW2 gets some of the most irrational hatred I've ever seen for a game, and basically all of it is just because it's different. You're right though, maybe we should scale back on addressing those crappy attitudes.

I'm surprised you can tolerate PGAF if this gets to you. :p

Q

Queen of Hunting

Unconfirmed Member
sounds weird but this is one of my fav changes so far in this new patch

Asura gates now show the name of the places they lead to, when hovered over on the map

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I do wonder why we need what could be a two month LS break so soon after the start of Season 2. We have just come back from a huge break between LS Season 1 and 2. Why do they need another break? Season 1 was pretty relentless for over a year with barely any breaks.
We don't know, but maybe that's the idea. One of the most common complaints regardless of the kind of content was that the pace was too fast and you just had to rushrushrush every release to get your meta and get your rewards (this was really about as common a complaint as "there's no content here, you can finish it all in 20 minutes"). Now with the new permanence in delivery, maybe they want to settle into doing a few releases, then a break for a feature pack and people to catch up/put time into developing the new releases

I'm actually more curious about how many episodes season 2 will be in total
I'm not a big fan of the current back piece, but then again, it really doesn't suit my Charr Warrior. I'm sure it looks greaton Sylvari particularly.

I do however like how they really make you work for it and go on an adventure for it. And I agree, I think this is Amet testing the waters for possible Precursor Crafting. Whatever form that eventually comes in as, there will most assuredly be a lot of time gated stuff, and upgrading stuff, and searchig for stuff much like this backpiece.

My PC is currently doing a disc check and it really isn't looking good. Yesterday it was acting REALLY weird. I took a screenshot in-game which then made the entire computer freeze for a few seconds, which I assume was due to a hard drive freaking out at writing something to disc. Then when I tried to open windows explorer it was having none of it, and like I said it wouldn't get passed Starting Windows before.

Hawk, did you make a deal with the devil to pass your computer problems onto someone else? D:
Yikes. That actually sounds like HDD issues. Back up anything you definitely need !

BraXzy

Yikes. That actually sounds like HDD issues. Back up anything you definitely need !

It unfortunately does indeed. The disk check has been running for an hour and is only sitting at 6 percent complete. Every single line of code on screen says something along the lines of:

File record segment 506789 is unreadable.
File record segment 506788 is unreadable.
File record segment 506787 is unreadable.

So things aren't looking good. I'll leave it running till it is done and then try to grab what files I can from both hard drives. I'm annoyed that I didn't catch which disk it is checking but should it actually get back into Windows, I'll try and run a quick diagnostic to work out which is causing the issue. I suppose I'll have to fork out for a replacement HDD and then if anything just start with a clean install of Windows because my PC has been getting a bit bogged down as it is.

I couldn't watch the stream but I was listening to it and it was kinda bad. Why are they showing Guild Wars 2 off to people like it is a new game?

Have feature pack articles started releasing yet, or is the first on on August 14th?
NVM...they just announced the feature pack today, I thought it was yesterday. Busy work day, losing my mind.

I couldn't watch the stream but I was listening to it and it was kinda bad. Why are they showing Guild Wars 2 off to people like it is a new game?

Have feature pack articles started releasing yet, or is the first on on August 14th?

Gamescon is a public trade fair , it has a large audience there of people who likely have never heard of Guild Wars 2.

I suppose this will eventually give me a reason to get those crafts levelled on my alts. Which professions do they suit best? I suppose it doesn't matter too much at the end of the day.

I did Hunstaman, Leatherworking and Chef on medium class.
Armorsmithing, Weaponsmithing and Jewelcrafting on heavy class.
Artifcing and Tailoring on light class.

My other 2 characters do not have any crafting professions.

Gamescon is a public trade fair , it has a large audience there of people who likely have never heard of Guild Wars 2.
I didn't see what they were showing but the presenter was stumbling a lot and maybe that was just because English is not his first language but it sounded very choppy. I don't know if this is a stage where people sit around watch the interviews/previews whatever you call them but as I am sure it was boring as hell for anyone watching it through Twitch.

Awaiting Miktar to slap me with his shield because I am wrong of course.

BraXzy

I did Huntsman, Leatherworking and Chef on medium class.
Armorsmithing, Weaponsmithing and Jewelcrafting on heavy class.
Artifcing and Tailoring on light class.

Yeah I was kinda thinking along those lines. My Warrior already has Weapon and Armour at 400+. My Thief has Chef at 400. I think I'll go with Tailoring and Artificing on my Elementalist and then Huntsman and Leatherworking on.. well maybe my Thief, and throw Chef on someone else since it's pretty cheap.

I didn't see what they were showing but the presenter was stumbling a lot and maybe that was just because English is not his first language but it sounded very choppy. I don't know if this is a stage where people sit around watch the interviews/previews whatever you call them but as I am sure it was boring as hell for anyone watching it through Twitch.

Awaiting Miktar to slap me with his shield because I am wrong of course.

You're actually probably right on all counts. I didn't see it, but I'd guess the presenter was unfamiliar with the material, having had only a quick practice run before the show. Being in Germany, Anet likely hired a local press team speaker, so English is likely not their first language.

It's likely a meeting room/stage area, where people walk in to watch, or arrive early for their interviews later. It was probably boring for the people there, and for the people watching on Twitch.

Sources: my own experiences at having gone to E3 many years, and it (presentations like this) being fucking boring, badly put together, and hosted by people who likely have never touched the game in their life.

Sources: my own experiences at having gone to E3 many years, and it (presentations like this) being fucking boring, badly put together, and hosted by people who likely have never touched the game in their life.

Why would stuff like this happen? Why get someone who hasn't played the game to describe what is happening?

Story stuff:
Guys in that last vision we saw, that crystal place seems like Glints Lair and the egg of her child maybe. Also as soon as the crystals break you can see on the bottom of that scene a dragon, not sure if it is the one we fought or Kralkatorrik. I'll try to get screenshot when I get home.

Retro

I do wonder why we need what could be a two month LS break so soon after the start of Season 2. We have just come back from a huge break between LS Season 1 and 2. Why do they need another break? Season 1 was pretty relentless for over a year with barely any breaks.

It feels like it just started, but it's been 6 weeks, which is how long we had between Wintersday and the Origins of Madness release (When Season 1 started back up). Their schedule hasn't been especially consistent, but I think that's because they're still trying to figure out the perfect pace. They're not going to go back to the pace of Season 1 because players whined that the updates weren't substantial enough. Meatier updates take more time to develop.

I really dislike the chaos weapons. The models themselves look so generic.

I kind of like that they're a tad generic, because they feel like functional, conjured weapons instead of flashy special effects. It all boils down to personal preference, after a decade of impossibly complicated and gaudy weapons and armor, it's nice that GW2 has so many subtle and 'realistic' looking weapons and armor.

I'm considering them for my Guardian even though I don't player her much, because to me they're the perfect combination of pragamatic, utilitarian weapon design that just happens to be forged from pure light. I'm especially a fan of the shield.

I'm not a big fan of the current back piece, but then again, it really doesn't suit my Charr Warrior. I'm sure it looks great on Sylvari particularly.

It would actually be perfect for a Sylvari Mesmer. I can't complain too much about back pieces since Rox's Quiver meets both my Warrior and Thief needs. Engineer backpack fits on my Ranger and Engineer, SAB Backpack for my Asura Mesmer.

The only back items I want now are capes.

Also, good luck with your PC, man.

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
So is the Mysterious Vine backpiece bugged for people that crafted it before Pt. 2?

Thorgal

So is the Mysterious Vine backpiece bugged for people that crafted it before Pt. 2?

Yep .

Altough it is not the back piece that is bugged but the seed you get after making it got replaced by another seed that is necessary for the step after that bassically halting you from making the next step in the back piece ..

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I couldn't get the Resonated Chaos Orb as someone who hadn't made the back piece yet.

I'm not really interested in the piece itself, but does anyone know anything about the "eats bloodstone dust" thing yet?

Why would stuff like this happen? Why get someone who hasn't played the game to describe what is happening?

Because management and marketing make these calls, and they make them from their own perspective of "we should hire someone who has the credentials to speak in public".

Or, y'know, "hire a hot woman to stand there and pretend to know about the game". Boothbabes, etc.

And so, you end up with "professional speakers" at stuff like E3 press conferences and stuff (though they've gotten better of late), instead of, y'know, people who actually play the things. Though on the flip side, it's also bad when a developer is tasked with showing something off, and they're not comfortable speaking in public. There is the rare intersection of developer and public speaker, but those tend to be people like Peter Molyneux.

Retro

Semi On-topic, but clearly not directed at anyone here.

The reason we get pissed off at trolls and assholes on the internet is because inevitably that lack of repercussions and perception of anonymity allows them to escalate their antisocial behavior to the point that despicable, in-human shit like this happens. What was, should and could have been a wellspring of sympathy and compassion was ruined by assholes on a lark.

There is the rare intersection of developer and public speaker, but those tend to be people like Peter Molyneux.

I thought the gaming industry as a whole agreed that Peter is not allowed to speak anymore since he resides completely outside reality and, to my knowledge, is not a Wizard capable to creating games from the ether of his imagination.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
jesus fuck, what kind of deplorable facsimile of human do you have to be to want to troll zelda williams like that

Lunar15

I was going to write a long, overly complicated thing here, but I'll keep it short.

I don't mind ribbing on dumb opinions. I do this all the time. I'm just saying to tone it down because there are times when I come in this thread and it's gone from saying "hay game is ded rite?" to what amounts to full diatribes on why a group of people who aren't even this thread are wrong. I'm certainly with you, you're preaching to the choir here. However, It can make the thread look incredibly insular and standoffish at times, even though I know this community is extraordinarily welcoming to anyone who wants to join in the fun. This is something all community threads wrestle with, I just want you to be aware of what it sounds like sometimes so that you don't go full insular like some communities already have.

tlrd; Too much talking about other people whining starts to sound like whining after a while. Even this is beginning to sound like whining, so I'll be done with it.

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
jesus fuck, what kind of deplorable facsimile of human do you have to be to want to troll zelda williams like that

Those are the same kind of people that strangle kittens and throw sacks of puppies into lakes.

tlrd; Too much talking about other people whining starts to sound like whining after a while. Even this is beginning to sound like whining, so I'll be done with it.

Out of my ten thousand posts (rough estimate), I've brought up idiots on reddit and the official forums perhaps less than 10 times. Overall from everyone in the community, I think there have been less than 20 posts made in total about such topics.

The only reason it became such a BIG talked about thing right now, is because you called me out for laughing at Retro's colourful language. The reality is, you've latched on to such posts and focus on them, essentially noticing them the most because they grate you - in the same way reddit posts from shitlords are perhaps 1%
70%
of the overall posting done on reddit, but they stand out to me because they grate me.

So trust me, I get what you're saying. But to present the idea that bringing such posts to attention here (usually done so I can highlight a point), has become the tone of the community, is just plain wrong and smacks of confirmation bias.

I don't want to have to make pie charts or anything, but if I had to place 'talking about shitlords on reddit' in one, it'd be a tiny sliver next to giant slices of 'posting charr art' and 'arguing over dumb build stuff' and 'Kos hates minigames'.

But, you are right. I'm wasting time on people who are shitlords or idiotic fuckwits, and I only preach to the choir here when I point them out. It won't happen again.

Retro

I don't want to have to make pie charts or anything, but if I had to place 'talking about shitlords on reddit' in one, it'd be a tiny sliver next to giant slices of 'posting charr art' and 'arguing over dumb build stuff' and 'Kos hates minigames'.

This would be a delightful pie chart and I demand to see some representation of it, even if it is factually incorrect.

Also, can we combine all three? Maybe Kos riding around on a naked charr, hitting angry little poo monsters with a keg while looking angry about it?

Please?

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Personally, I find the best way to talk about negative people/statements at a remove (when not engaging them in their own space) is with a level of abstraction. Focus on why people are negative, why such attitudes exist, rather than individual personalities.

It doesn't mean never, ever quoting someone specifically. But most of the time it could be better to quote in the context of an academic observation. Helps it come across as "we are talking about why these problematic attitudes exist". Rather than "we're so mad at our adversaries, join us in the Hate Cube."

Hate Cube is low level scrub Internet. It turns off people who are beyond that kind of behavior.

I really like how this season is dealing the Sylvari and their culture/origins (which makes sense, given that we're dealing with the Jungle Dragon).

I hope we get similar exploration of the Norn when we go against Jormag. Just because I think the Norn are boss.

Retro

I hope we get similar exploration of the Norn when we go against Jormag. Just because I think the Norn are boss.

You know, I love the spiritual aspect of the Norn, the shamanism and reverence of animal spirits and nature. I like their shamelessly self-indulgent philosophy where fighting and drinking (and sometimes both simultaneously) are the best ways to celebrate life. I like that they're nomadic by nature, and even when they need to establish a settlement they feel very temporary (even Hoelbrak looks like it could be taken down in a week or two and carted off somewhere).

So, you know, I really want to like them, but the whole "Culture based around boasting" thing just rubs me the wrong way. Norn clearly love a good fight, and it doesn't bother me that Very Bad Things might be happening and a Norn will say something like "This is great, I haven't had a workout like this in ages."

I think maybe it's the female Norn VA, because I don't notice it as much on my male Ranger, but I think their culture would be much more interesting if it wasn't based around a need to selfishly seek personal glory at every turn. I can't imagine a society that functions like that, though maybe that's why they're naturally nomadic and live far apart from each other in the mountains.

Anyways, that's a roundabout way of saying I agree with you, and after Scarlet and Trahearne I'll be happy if we can get a break from the Sylvari show, even if they're pretty interesting too.

BraXzy

I haven't looked and I definitely don't want to but I can imagine :(

This would be a delightful pie chart and I demand to see some representation of it, even if it is factually incorrect.

Also, can we combine all three? Maybe Kos riding around on a naked charr, hitting angry little poo monsters with a keg while looking angry about it?

Please?

I also request that happens. But if a pie chart is made, can there be an even smaller sliver on it representing my sleep duration? :D

ShinMaruku

I am gonna give this game a shot again. I never pushed past level 30 my first go around but with this controller trick I'll give it another run.

The guy that was doing the GW2 live stream on twitch was the German GW2 community manager Ramon not some random hire.
I guess me he was super nervous and might have been his first time in front of a camera for work.

I dont want to be mean but they should really had someone with more knowledge and enthusiasm about the game up there.

You know, I love the spiritual aspect of the Norn, the shamanism and reverence of animal spirits and nature. I like their shamelessly self-indulgent philosophy where fighting and drinking (and sometimes both simultaneously) are the best ways to celebrate life. I like that they're nomadic by nature, and even when they need to establish a settlement they feel very temporary (even Hoelbrak looks like it could be taken down in a week or two and carted off somewhere).

So, you know, I really want to like them, but the whole "Culture based around boasting" thing just rubs me the wrong way. Norn clearly love a good fight, and it doesn't bother me that Very Bad Things might be happening and a Norn will say something like "This is great, I haven't had a workout like this in ages."

I think maybe it's the female Norn VA, because I don't notice it as much on my male Ranger, but I think their culture would be much more interesting if it wasn't based around a need to selfishly seek personal glory at every turn. I can't imagine a society that functions like that, though maybe that's why they're naturally nomadic and live far apart from each other in the mountains.

Anyways, that's a roundabout way of saying I agree with you, and after Scarlet and Trahearne I'll be happy if we can get a break from the Sylvari show, even if they're pretty interesting too.

That's fair. It doesn't really bother me, but I can see how it would rub people the wrong way. I think I can appreciate it because, yeah, it makes sense with their lifestyle. If they had an ordered government, it wouldn't make sense, but, since they really don't, I think it's an interesting way to keep them from just being "big humans". I also appreciate, as I do with all the races in GW2, that the major parts of their culture, "respecting the strong" and "forging your legend", are shown to have both positive and negative examples.

Plus, I always like playing big, boisterous guys, since, in real life, I am a big, boisterous guy, so maybe I just relate too much. :p

Thorgal

God , Silent hill made with guillermo del toro , Hideo Kojima AND Norman Reedus ?

9nfvwfi7higo.gif

I am gonna give this game a shot again. I never pushed past level 30 my first go around but with this controller trick I'll give it another run.

The controller changed the game for me. I got to right where you are, maybe a little later, and realized I was awful at the game and couldn't pinpoint why. It wasn't until I picked up a controller that I realized "Hey, this is really kind of an action game". I still stick close to my mouse and keyboard for UI navigation purposes, but it feels foreign to even try controlling my character with M/K nowadays.

I think ArenaNet should seriously considering adding native controller support sometime along with a controller UI. Maybe even (PC gamers may kill me here) consider porting to consoles.

I think ArenaNet should seriously considering adding native controller support sometime along with a controller UI. Maybe even (PC gamers may kill me here) consider porting to consoles.

Agreed. If it wasn't for my Razer Nostromo, I doubt I'd feel as comfortable as I do playing the game, Having movement on my left thumb, and access to all my skills instantly without needing to move my hand, is vital - I can't play the game any other way anymore, and I imagine playing with the controller is similar.

Agreed. If it wasn't for my Razer Nostromo, I doubt I'd feel as comfortable as I do playing the game, Having movement on my left thumb, and access to all my skills instantly without needing to move my hand, is vital - I can't play the game any other way anymore, and I imagine playing with the controller is similar.

Yeah. I think it also helps get you out of that WoW MMO mindset and gets you more into the mindset of an action game. My cousin is a big WoW player and really dislikes GW2's group content because he doesn't enjoy not knowing exactly what role he and his party members will be playing in the dungeon. I want him to try the game out with a controller because I think it'll get him more into that "action RPG" mindset, rather than treating it as if it's WoW.

Though, actually, after playing FFXIV, it's even hard for me to go back to that style of game without a controller. :p

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Essentially, GW2 has very actiony controls that are sort of half-cast over the traditional MMO point-and-tab, numerical skillbar targeting. You can really feel this if you just turn off autotargeting, hold the right mouse button down, and go get into combat with some scrub enemies in the open world. With "mouselook" camera control rather than a cursor, plus the awareness that your attacks are hitting XYZ via hitboxes rather than just doing rolls against a selected target, it changes your perception to one of actually controlling your character as you would in any third-person action game. Weltall's script to auto-center for ground targeting just puts it over the edge.

Ketch

Yeah. I think it also helps get you out of that WoW MMO mindset and gets you more into the mindset of an action game. My cousin is a big WoW player and really dislikes GW2's group content because he doesn't enjoy not knowing exactly what role he and his party members will be playing in the dungeon. I want him to try the game out with a controller because I think it'll get him more into that "action RPG" mindset, rather than treating it as if it's WoW.

Though, actually, after playing FFXIV, it's even hard for me to go back to that style of game without a controller. :p

I think the big thing with dungeons is that (especially at lower levels) they're just to damn hard.... I haven't played a dungeon as a lvl 30 in awhile, so maybe it's changed since then. but at the time it really put me off of the game.

At the low levels, when people aren't used to the game, they're building up there character and developing a play style. When you go into your first dungeon and you're just wiping left and right to AOEs and bosses with no aggro table it really sucks. It makes it feel like everything up to that point has been meaningless.

That's because at the time I didn't know how to play the game... But neither does anybody else in that situation, and then they all get frustrated and quit like I did.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom