• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT4| The only subscription you need is this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I think the big thing with dungeons is that (especially at lower levels) they're just to damn hard.... I haven't played a dungeon as a lvl 30 in awhile, so maybe it's changed since then. but at the time it really put me off of the game.

At the low levels, when people aren't used to the game, they're building up there character and developing a play style. When you go into your first dungeon and you're just wiping left and right to AOEs and bosses with no aggro table it really sucks. It makes it feel like everything up to that point has been meaningless.

That's because at the time I didn't know how to play the game... But neither does anybody else in that situation, and then they all get frustrated and quit like I did.

AC Story has been severely nerfed based on feedback exactly like that. It's a bit of a cakewalk now. AC Explorable has become a little tougher for low levels, but it's a more appropriate ramp-up.

For my part, my first few times doing AC Story which involved wiping plenty and then eventually powering through and winning felt incredibly satisfying to me as a successful challenge, and forced me to get good at the core gameplay which helped me through the rest of the game. But it definitely wasn't a gentle curve and I can understand that most players were frustrated by it.

I think the big thing with dungeons is that (especially at lower levels) they're just to damn hard.... I haven't played a dungeon as a lvl 30 in awhile, so maybe it's changed since then. but at the time it really put me off of the game.

At the low levels, when people aren't used to the game, they're building up there character and developing a play style. When you go into your first dungeon and you're just wiping left and right to AOEs and bosses with no aggro table it really sucks. It makes it feel like everything up to that point has been meaningless.

That's because at the time I didn't know how to play the game... But neither does anybody else in that situation, and then they all get frustrated and quit like I did.

Yeah, the story mode of the first dungeon, Ascalonian Catacombs, has been made much, much easier since launch. It's now almost laughably easy, especially compared to how it was.

Bosses do have an aggro table though. You just can't *manipulate* or abuse it, like you can in WoW. But knowing how bosses react to certain situations, is pretty useful information. It's just not as critical as watching them for tells.

For those wondering:

Mawdrey II is a “plant” that feed on Bloodstone Dust. It can only eat 200 Bloodstone Dust per day and give you a Gift for each 50 Bloodstone Dust it eats. The gifts are mostly greens, some gathered plants, and general junk. You will receive Mawdrey II for free when you crafted have crafted Mawdrey

Ketch

AC Story has been severely nerfed based on feedback exactly like that. It's a bit of a cakewalk now. AC Explorable has become a little tougher for low levels, but it's a more appropriate ramp-up.

For my part, my first few times doing AC Story which involved wiping plenty and then eventually powering through and winning felt incredibly satisfying to me as a successful challenge, and forced me to get good at the core gameplay which helped me through the rest of the game. But it definitely wasn't a gentle curve and I can understand that most players were frustrated by it.

Yea, like I said it's been a long time since I played a dungeon at a low level, but it wasn't frustrating because it was hard. I didn't get the feeling of "oh man, we can do this if we just x, y, and z" it was more like "How did I die? How are we all dead? This makes no sense. fuck this". and it's because I had no idea how the combo system worked, how important stacking boons and removing conditions is, what stats I should have had, or anything really.

Hopefully the changes they made were more then just nerfing the numbers and include some mechanics changes that help introduce how dungeons are supposed to work.

Thorgal

Just a heads up :

Starting this Friday ill be gone on a 2 week vacation .

So none of the following happened to me :

-Getting guild kicked by Ashodin for using the "toon" Word.
-Kicked by Kos for revealing he cried during PVP.
- Levyne Murdering me in my sleep for my Precursor .
- getting banned here or in the game .

:p

That is all .

Q

Queen of Hunting

Unconfirmed Member
this friday, saturday and sunday i plan on playing quite alot :p

Ashodin

I couldn't get the Resonated Chaos Orb as someone who hadn't made the back piece yet.

I'm not really interested in the piece itself, but does anyone know anything about the "eats bloodstone dust" thing yet?

It eats the dust and gives you greens and items and such.

Mxrz

I've managed to avoid most of the spoilers, but I am really enjoying this sort of 'questing' to create an item. The time-gated materials are a tiny bit of a turnoff, but I realize they're a necessary evil. I almost want to install the Twitter or book of faces to Thumbs up the ANet.

Gothos

2 questions:

1. Why the hell every single one of my major, lvl 36 Guardian traits is locked and requires some specific action to do? On my warrior they were all available right away, What the heck?

2. I just received Black Lion Salvage Kit as one of the rewards for daily task completion. WTF - they can spawn like that? :O

2 questions:

1. Why the hell every single one of my major, lvl 36 Guardian traits is locked and requires some specific action to do? On my warrior they were all available right away, What the heck?

2. I just received Black Lion Salvage Kit as one of the rewards for daily task completion. WTF - they can spawn like that? :O

1. Your warrior was likely made before the April Feature Pack last year that changed how Traits work, so was unaffected and had all the traits unlocked. Characters made after April last year, need to complete the actions to unlock traits, or justr spend gold and skill points to buy them at the trait vendor.

2. Yup. Keys too.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
trading post express, merchant express, revive orb, repair canisters, etc. too

anecdotally, I tend to get 2-3 a month, and miss 5-7 dailies during that month

Levyne

Banned
71Cv0eW.png

Levyne

Banned
I haven't done the backpiece because I'm uninterested in it, but I'm hearing in game that this trade isn't a solution for people who were further into putting it all together. I can't be more specific because I'm not versed on the process.

BraXzy

So, my PC got hung up on the CHKDSK thing it was running from boot before so I restarted the computer and managed to get back into Windows. I ran a similar disk checking thing through the hard drives properties window and left it running while I was at the cinema. I just got back to it and it said it found some issues and resolved them, but gave me no more information to go on. I just ran a disk checking program that is provided by Seagate (the HDD in question's manufcturer) which also gave the OK from its preliminary tests.

I'm not sure whether to believe that it is fixed or if to run further tests. Does anyone with any kind of knowledge know of a good disk checking program that is free to at least trial? :3

spiritfox

It's a Seagate HDD. It's already dead.

I like how making the the backpiece forces you to do stuff that you might miss, like doing JPs and Fractals, and being hidden in secrets spots throughout. I hope that they also add a light PvP/WvW requirement if they decided to upgrade it further.

Ketch

What's the deal with the back piece? Does it have stats? If I have absolutely no idea about anything can I still get one? I'm lvl 80.... That's all I know about this game.

Mxrz

It has stats. Standard selectable ones on the 2nd set and beyond.

You'll need to do all the season two episodes, and either have 400 in various crafting recipes or buy some time-gated stuff for rather expensive prices. It is a pretty involved quest, not so much a thing you can pop in and get within an hour. I figure I'll have mine in two weeks or so.

BraXzy

It's a Seagate HDD. It's already dead.

I like how making the the backpiece forces you to do stuff that you might miss, like doing JPs and Fractals, and being hidden in secrets spots throughout. I hope that they also add a light PvP/WvW requirement if they decided to upgrade it further.

When I was looking up what type of HDD to get, everyone was suggesting the one I currently have QQ

I wish there were meta type rewards for some or all of the achievements in for example, Dry Top. I'd love if there was a back piece or even just a unique piece of armour for finding every lost coin for example. Or a silly weapon skin that is like a metal detector. Things along those lines.

Or heck, make me do a treasure hunt for a backpiece. Like a full on, find all these pieces and then combine them. Because I love me a treasure hunt. Basically, give me another treasure hunt Anet before I unsub.

Moondrop

Banned
Mawdrey II - hilarious.

I'm catching IRL aggro and I won't be able to play as much as I'd like the next couple of weeks. Don't worry about me; I just hope y'all continue to do some tpvp if people desire. Communicate and watch each others' backs and you'll be fine.

spiritfox

When I was looking up what type of HDD to get, everyone was suggesting the one I currently have QQ

I wish there were meta type rewards for some or all of the achievements in for example, Dry Top. I'd love if there was a back piece or even just a unique piece of armour for finding every lost coin for example. Or a silly weapon skin that is like a metal detector. Things along those lines.

Or heck, make me do a treasure hunt for a backpiece. Like a full on, find all these pieces and then combine them. Because I love me a treasure hunt. Basically, give me another treasure hunt Anet before I unsub.

They really missed the boat not making the Adventurer's headpieces achievement based. Having to find anything purely by luck sucks.

BraXzy

They really missed the boat not making the Adventurer's headpieces achievement based. Having to find anything purely by luck sucks.

I don't like how they've taken out meta achievements and rewards. I understand why they have, but the replacement often being RNG isn't exactly an improvement.

Got my first ascended drop tonight from Teq!

Kind of regret using my only Black Lion Ticket yesterday for the new skin on my old Greatsword, but I'm not going to complain after getting this!

Congrats! I still haven't had a Tequatl Hoard chest. I love the Sunless skins.

Shiokazu

ok so... i guess i lost the discussion but

what do you guys think about that
vision the pale tree gave to us? is that what is happening inside the dream?

So, my PC got hung up on the CHKDSK thing it was running from boot before so I restarted the computer and managed to get back into Windows. I ran a similar disk checking thing through the hard drives properties window and left it running while I was at the cinema. I just got back to it and it said it found some issues and resolved them, but gave me no more information to go on. I just ran a disk checking program that is provided by Seagate (the HDD in question's manufcturer) which also gave the OK from its preliminary tests.

I'm not sure whether to believe that it is fixed or if to run further tests. Does anyone with any kind of knowledge know of a good disk checking program that is free to at least trial? :3

Don't know any good disk checking software offhand, but unless it was a strange permissions or registry issue that got fixed, I would would start preparing for possible future failure just in case. You have everything backed up?

Welcome to the Sunless club

Congrats! I still haven't had a Tequatl Hoard chest. I love the Sunless skins.

Thanks! :)

BraXzy

Don't know any good disk checking software offhand, but unless it was a strange permissions or registry issue that got fixed, I would would start preparing for possible future failure just in case. You have everything backed up?

Not everything, which reminds me that I should probably go ahead of find the things I want to keep. A heck of a lot of it is steam games which I can redownload. A lot of important files are already on an external hard drive anwyay.

Goldrush

I hope they don't continue these giving these special crafting materials for story completion. I don't have any skills over 200 yet so they are all just taking up precious inventory spaces. They should let you deposit it or, at the very least, just give one rather than four different materials each event.

Thorgal

Looks like I know what track I'll have active in pvp. Hope the armor reward is the whole set but if not I don't mind.
the article states that every time you complete the track youll be able to choose one piece of the armor.

so mos t likely to get the whole set you have to complete it 6 times .

the article states that every time you complete the track youll be able to choose one piece of the armor.

so mos t likely to get the whole set you have to complete it 6 times .

oh ok. i skimmed it so didn't read everything.

that's fine. that's how the dungeon armor works anyway. i don't mind.

This morning I did (what is for me) the 6:30 a.m. Tequatl fight. I joined a PuG map that was listed on LFG, but even as the little quaggan was spotting something in the water, we weren't quite to the numbers I had come to expect for a successful run. I figured that it would at least be a decent attempt, and even if it failed it wouldn't be so bad to stick around and see what happened.

The start was a little shaky, but there were no bone walls and it was plenty fast enough. So far so good, right? Enter battery and laser defense.

Like always I did north battery defense, and even with us calling for help, there only appeared to be six or seven people there at any given time. Grub holes were going unchecked, and three defenders left early with twelve seconds remaining. The three of us still there tried to hold out, but it was inevitable. The battery fell with one, single second on the clock.

I was still at the battery, thus I avoided the murderous wave that crashed over everyone (including the traitors who abandoned our defense early), so I was able to quickly hop back to the undead minion. A few people in map chat were blaming each other of course, and I arrived to Tequatl with no one at his feet fighting. I watched the bone wall go up, so I jogged a short distance away to get out of combat, assuming no one would be returning at this point.

But miraculously, just as I was about to open my map and waypoint away, I found that I had joined a group that wasn't so quick to call it quits. Everyone came flooding back, and the wall fell. A couple of inspirational fellows ensured everyone that it could still be done, so I too charged back in with the intention of finishing what we had started.

Here and now it was time for us to really get to work. We had the daunting task of doing the damage phase without the laser stun. We're all under Teq trying to get at the double damage spot to shave off as much time as possible, and with little more than four minutes left, we finally got another shot at defense. Everyone headed out knowing that we had to have a perfect defense and a perfect burn for the fight to continue. And following immediately afterwards, a second perfect defense and perfect burn to finish it.

This time we had help at the north battery, and everyone got to jump back early to start prepping for Teq to drop. Might was stacked, and by fiery swords and frozen bows we got the perfect burn to chain the phases. The map was truly alive now. We rushed back to defend our penultimate quest objectives, and we nailed it. The wave of bodies rolled forward again to clash with Tequatl, war cries flying between instructions in chat; no one was entirely certain if we had turned it around, but everyone was damned certain we were going to give it everything we had left regardless.

With a far too generous and anticlimactic thirty-four seconds remaining on the timer, we drove the Sunless back to the sea, amid countless cheesy cheers in map chat of "FOR TYRIA!"

For Tyria.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I hope they don't continue these giving these special crafting materials for story completion. I don't have any skills over 200 yet so they are all just taking up precious inventory spaces. They should let you deposit it or, at the very least, just give one rather than four different materials each event.
If I may, unless I'm misunderstanding something, you don't actually NEED any of the crafting professions leveled if you have the gold. An extra inventory slot might be a good investment as well?

Actually, reading this just made me realize that since you can choose the item stats partway through the process, upgrade it to ascended, infuse it, and of course transmute... Episodes 3 and 4 provide for the creation of a best-in-slot back piece of your choice on each character you complete it with. And they'll be available permanently. This is actually all pretty clever. I hope the next item in this vein is something I want visually/thematically (I could go for a gadgety device for my Engi), but it's a great system.

To wit, even though I don't want the backpiece for the look OR the stats, I'm going to complete it once for Mawdrey II :D Then maybe one day on another character when they need the piece.
Command the Rainbow? Oh what ever could that mean? ;)
These were already shown in previews
oh ok. i skimmed it so didn't read everything.

that's fine. that's how the dungeon armor works anyway. i don't mind.
You get so much other good stuff from the reward tracks that the total reward from collecting the armor set will be pretty much worth the effort anyway.

Standard Enemy Models is a good technical addition for the very serious levels of competitive PvP.
For Tyria.
you have done well this day.

Morokh

New pvp armor is nice but there is a lost opportunity here with bringing the ones that are not available anymore back.

Also I don't see this particular reward track lasting a few months for an avid pvp player before they fully complete the set.

BraXzy

Oh, Permanent Bank went up to 700g. Time to list and hope mine gets sold!

Oh nice, get that sucker up there ASAP! Fingers crossed it sells :3

With a far too generous and anticlimactic thirty-four seconds remaining on the timer, we drove the Sunless back to the sea, amid countless cheesy cheers in map chat of "FOR TYRIA!"

For Tyria.

That is a pretty swell story of folks pulling together. If that happened in a PUG map for me I'd have been the only one stood there at Teq :L

Command the Rainbow? Oh what ever could that mean? ;)

Korten pls. We've already seen the coloured Commander tags!

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls
Well I feel silly. I just realized that when I wasn't playing, dungeons were changed so diminishing returns were one path per account for full reward until reset, instead of path per character.

So I guess having two lvl 80 Warriors is just ridiculous.

Well I feel silly. I just realized that when I wasn't playing, dungeons were changed so diminishing returns were one path per account for full reward until reset, instead of path per character.

I don't think xeris would find that ridiculous.

BraXzy

Oh damn, you used to be able to do it per character?

Lunar15

So, I finally finished the chapter last night, and I really enjoyed it, particularly that final boss.

Although, I can't tell if they're being obvious or intentionally misleading about
Anise and Canach being villains.
It just seems really, really obvious and thrown in your face, so much so that I have to think that it's misdirection. Either way, their dialogue and banter in this chapter was easily the highlight for me. Both voice actors were killing it.

Also:
Trahearne's dialogue had me in stiches. Everything he says is basically, "Nope, I've got nothing, this is all you. You are way more awesome at this than I am, by all means go ahead, you are the hero, after all!"

Halfway into the season, I'm unsure of how much I like Destiny's Child (Destiny's Edge 2: Electric Boogaloo). I don't actively dislike anyone, which is good. Braham and Rox are consistently the most enjoyable characters in my opinion, and this hasn't changed since the beginning. Taimi has definitely grown on me, but child geniuses are always a weird trope. I feel like I don't have much attachment to Marjory and Kasmeer. I like them individually, and they have some really good dialogue sometimes, but other times it feels forced and cloying. Whereas Taimi has grown on me by getting more entwined with characters I do like (Braham), I feel like M&K are still a little separate from the rest of the group. There's still some kind of missing bond between them because the group still feels a bit random. Either way, it's a gigantic step up from the constant bickering and childishness of Destiny's Edge.

So, I finally finished the chapter last night, and I really enjoyed it, particularly that final boss.

Although, I can't tell if they're being obvious or intentionally misleading about
Anise and Canach being villains.
It just seems really, really obvious and thrown in your face, so much so that I have to think that it's misdirection. Either way, their dialogue and banter in this chapter was easily the highlight for me. Both voice actors were killing it.

Also:
Trahearne's dialogue had me in stiches. Everything he says is basically, "Nope, I've got nothing, this is all you. You are way more awesome at this than I am, by all means go ahead, you are the hero, after all!"
You always had a strong idea of what you wanted out of GW2 story and I if you are really enjoying LS2 then ANET is totally on the right path.

I loved the whole season so far and cannot wait to continue.

I think sometimes after the whole season is done we should get groups together on alts, or whatever but to run through the whole season from start to end in 1 go. I think it would be very strong.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom