• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT4| The only subscription you need is this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lunar15

You always had a strong idea of what you wanted out of GW2 story and I if you are really enjoying LS2 then ANET is totally on the right path.

I loved the whole season so far and cannot wait to continue.

I think sometimes after the whole season is done we should get groups together on alts, or whatever but to run through the whole season from start to end in 1 go. I think it would be very strong.

Heck, what they're doing with season 2 is extremely close to what I suggested a while back. I said that we'd push deeper into enemy territory with each release while vines sprouted up in old areas in order to reinforce the threat to Tyria as a whole.

Of course, they've also gone places I didn't expect, and all of that seems to be great as well. It's not perfect (nothing ever would be, even my own ideas), but everything makes sense, works well, and has a sense of urgency to it. They're relying more on a more obvious, direct plot instead obfuscating everything in mystery boxes like they did in the first season. Some people would call this predictable, but I think they're doing it well enough to be satisfying. It's ok to know where you're going. It's what happens along the way that makes it interesting. The visions are more coherent mysteries. If you've been paying attention to the lore, the visions are pretty clear hints about what's going on, but if you haven't, it's a neat teaser/mystery for you to figure out. This is effective.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Oh damn, you used to be able to do it per character?
There was a kind of an awkward transition; at launch completing a dungeon run got you 20 tokens, with diminishing returns per character, but with no "bonus" given in the "path per day" sense; thus the best thing was just running the easiest path over and over again (COF1) until you hit DR and then switching characters. In the first few months of the game, COF armor was fucking EVERYWHERE.

When the dungeon token shift became 20 tokens/26s for completion, and 40 bonus tokens/1g+ gold on completion per path per day (thus encouraging players to run as many different paths per day as possible), the 40 bonus tokens were per account rather than character. However, there was a brief period in between the old way and the current way, end of 2013/early 2013, where paths awarded 60 tokens in the same 20+40 split, and no gold- but the bonus 40 were per character with no diminishing returns.

It was pleasant to an extent but it honestly made token acquisition kind of silly. COF could get you like 500 tokens in an hour if you had 4 80s.
Although, I can't tell if they're being obvious or intentionally misleading about
Anise and Canach being villains.
It just seems really, really obvious and thrown in your face, so much so that I have to think that it's misdirection. Either way, their dialogue and banter in this chapter was easily the highlight for me. Both voice actors were killing it.
Ha I didn't get this impression at all!

Crazy, I really hope that isn't where they're going with it. I think
Anise is hiding something *cough* and is Livia *cough* but is not a villain, and Canach is just taking his servitude legit while also not-so-subtly trying to hit that.
Also:
Trahearne's dialogue had me in stiches. Everything he says is basically, "Nope, I've got nothing, this is all you. You are way more awesome at this than I am, by all means go ahead, you are the hero, after all!"
:D this was flawless
I think sometimes after the whole season is done we should get groups together on alts, or whatever but to run through the whole season from start to end in 1 go. I think it would be very strong.
That's a good idea too, what I was planning to do was hold events to replay the episodes in groups for the achievements, but separate ones to go through them in one shot on alts would be awesome.
PSA: Guild Wars 2 is currently 50% off, from NOW until August 24th.

Guild Wars 2 Store
Om nom nom, tell your friends on the fence!

BraXzy

There was a kind of an awkward transition; at launch completing a dungeon run got you 20 tokens, with diminishing returns per character, but with no "bonus" given in the "path per day" sense; thus the best thing was just running the easiest path over and over again (COF1) until you hit DR and then switching characters. In the first few months of the game, COF armor was fucking EVERYWHERE.

I prefer how it is now, with a nice bonus each day to encourage running different dungeons but, it's a shame there many other foolproof ways to earn a bit of gold in the game. Outside of maybe crafts which often lose you money.

Om nom nom, tell your friends on the fence!

Yup! Tell your friends, family, neighbours and pets!

Lunar15

Ha I didn't get this impression at all!

Crazy, I really hope that isn't where they're going with it. I think
Anise is hiding something *cough* and is Livia *cough* but is not a villain, and Canach is just taking his servitude legit while also not-so-subtly trying to hit that.
!

Well,
All of the stuff about not needing Canach to have noble intentions but to be a knife in the dark and the way she talks about people being her "pet" and part of her "greater plans" seems so malicious. There's also the fact that she congratulates Canach after the pale tree is attacked, and treats the event like a victory. It's so on the nose that I think it's actually misdirection and what you're talking about is closer to the truth.

Either way, the two are a surprisingly potent character team, and I was really thrilled with their dialogue. Canach has become a massively interesting character. After being such a random throw away character in southsun.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I prefer how it is now, with a nice bonus each day to encourage running different dungeons but, it's a shame there many other foolproof ways to earn a bit of gold in the game. Outside of maybe crafts which often lose you money.
Crafting isn't nearly foolproof (although honestly I've been able to consistently profit from jewelcrafting since launch, somehow). Other ways would be:
-Daily World Bosses (either sell rares or salvage and sell ectos)
-Gathering/Salvaging (Iron, Silk, Orichalcum, Ancient Wood)- this is per character, as you tragically learned too late on Lumber Night
-Events in Orr; Heavy Moldy Bags are a common drop and sell for over 8s
-Champion farming Train in Frostgorge (not the gold furnace it once was by any stretch, but still consistent, EXTREMELY easy and mindless profit, with the chance for rare skin drops to keep or sell too)
-Karka Farming in Southsun (murder Veteran Karka in a group and sell blood and karka shells)
-PvP (12s50c for a loss, 25s for a win in Solo queue, 15/30s for Team, plus tons of sellable stuff from any of the reward tracks)

edit: Oh, and they still need to really do my idea for gold in the open world.
she congratulates Canach after the pale tree is attacked
I definitely missed this line! Do you remember what she says specifically?
Canach has become a massively interesting character. After being such a random throw away character in southsun.
I totally agree. It's almost jarring how well he's written in comparison to some of the others.

Levito

Banned
Folks, I was wondering: Do any of you know of a good guide for World Completion? Going to go for it again on my Guardian, but this time I don't want to run around like a chicken with my head cut off like on my Mesmer. (I also never finished it on my Mesmer cause I couldn't find everything)

Lunar15

I definitely missed this line! Do you remember what she says specifically?

I'm paraphrasing, but she says something to the effect of. "Excellent, my pet. You've passed your first audition." Then she tells Canach to go to Fort Trinity to spy on the Pact plans, which you can then grill Canach on.

There is a TON of missable dialogue with those two. There are at least 5 different bits of dialogue with them during the divinity reach party, and they have a ton of ambient dialogue before the Pale Tree's Meeting in the grove. Canach even calls out that she's neither the age nor appearance that she creates for herself, and she has an out of character freak out about him figuring it out. She's definitely someone else.

EDIT: I found the actual line from the GW2 Wiki:

Countess Anise: Very well, Canach. Playtime is over and you've passed your audition. You're to go with them.
Canach: Why?
Countess Anise: I want you to learn what you can about the Pact's plans. Follow them to their staging area.
Countess Anise: I need someone there I know can get the job done, and I believe you may be that someone.
Canach: I shall prove you correct. Until we meet again.

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls
Oh damn, you used to be able to do it per character?

Shortly before I stopped playing, the diminishing returns could be reset if you played another path, then swapped characters. This could be repeated over and over. So basically -> CoF 1, 2 swap CoF 1, 2 swap CoF 1, 2...

I remember a Saturday where I just did this with all my 80s, on AC / SE / CoF and HotW.

I kind of never did it to that extent again after I began hearing Detha & Ferrah's voice when the game was off. @_@

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I Canach even calls out that she's neither the age nor appearance that she creates for herself, and she has an out of character freak out about him figuring it out. She's definitely someone else.
That one I deeefinitely caught. Thanks for the paste from the wiki, that is very interesting stuff.
interesting information about commander tags.

Basically buy now if you want one because they will soon be going up in price substantially at the trade off of becoming account bound.
"anyone who has bought more than one commander character, his gold reimbursed by the support."
*shines apple on shirt, takes bite*

Anet needs to turn Mesmer Greatsword3 into this:

ibvlPsQwFHpDL9.jpg

Trey

Folks, I was wondering: Do any of you know of a good guide for World Completion? Going to go for it again on my Guardian, but this time I don't want to run around like a chicken with my head cut off like on my Mesmer. (I also never finished it on my Mesmer cause I couldn't find everything)

How do you mean guide? There's really nothing to it, just hit everything.

I personally run clean through a zone to get a good number of WPs unlocked, then I go through it methodically from one side to the other. If I'm at 95+ percent and am missing a heart/poi, I look at a map on the wiki to compare.

Generally, if you're near an unfilled heart and an event starts, do the event. They have excellent synergy. Otherwise just keep up swiftness best you can.

BraXzy

Crafting isn't nearly foolproof (although honestly I've been able to consistently profit from jewelcrafting since launch, somehow). Other ways would be:
-Daily World Bosses (either sell rares or salvage and sell ectos)
-Gathering/Salvaging (Iron, Silk, Orichalcum, Ancient Wood)- this is per character, as you tragically learned too late on Lumber Night
-Events in Orr; Heavy Moldy Bags are a common drop and sell for over 8s
-Champion farming Train in Frostgorge (not the gold furnace it once was by any stretch, but still consistent, EXTREMELY easy and mindless profit, with the chance for rare skin drops to keep or sell too)
-Karka Farming in Southsun (murder Veteran Karka in a group and sell blood and karka shells)
-PvP (12s50c for a loss, 25s for a win in Solo queue, 15/30s for Team, plus tons of sellable stuff from any of the reward tracks)

I always forget about World Bosses. I admit that is a decent list of methods but I do wish there were more viable methods that aren't exploits of sorts like champ/vet farming.

interesting information about commander tags.

Basically buy now if you want one because they will soon be going up in price substantially at the trade off of becoming account bound.

Are we 100% sure that owning one now will change to an account bound, transferrable tag? If so I'll buy one today!

Levito

Banned
How do you mean guide? There's really nothing to it, just hit everything.

I was reading earlier that there's actually guides for World Competition that run up through the more efficient/fastest way to go about each zone. Guess that's not an actual thing?

http://www.guildmag.com/command-tag-gamescom-2014/
German colleague fansite guildnews.de reported earlier today that the upcoming September Feature Pack will see the arrival of multiple commander tag colors. This information was obtained by a press demo given during the gamescom 2014 event. While we were watching said demo ourselves, we asked Matt Wuerffel and Elisabeth Cardy what this would mean for the current commander tag and they gave the following information:

“Yes, so each color is purchased individually, and it is important to note that there is no hierarchy for colors so that you have to purchase blue and then have to go to red or yellow or whatever. It is also important to point out that if you already bought a commander tag, it will become account bound so that when you’ve bought a blue commander tag you’ll never have to spend money on that again. So if you bought blue already you can go ahead and buy other colors if you want. If you’ve bought more than three you can contact costumer support and get a refund.”

Complistic

I was reading earlier that there's actually guides for World Competition that run up through the more efficient/fastest way to go about each zone. Guess that's not an actual thing?

Following a trail for world completion sounds a lot like buying a ticket straight for boring-ville.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I always forget about World Bosses. I admit that is a decent list of methods but I do wish there were more viable methods that aren't exploits of sorts like champ/vet farming.
Those are not exploits at all.

This is an exploit.
Are we 100% sure that owning one now will change to an account bound, transferrable tag? If so I'll buy one today!
Suppose we aren't 100% sure, but that's what it says. Actually, about this... officers, check the new thread in the gafguild officer lounge.
What! The other colors are separate buys? 300g for each? WHAT THE FUCK?
I guess blue tags are officially the welfare doritos!

I did it by taking 1 - 2 zones a day over a period of days and if I ran into a stop of trouble I checked the map on the wiki. I got World Completion done quickly.

Anyone else get the feeling the full Mawdry Ascended Backpiece setup is a prototype for the future precursor scavenger hunt? Imagine the Mawdry path, but ten times longer, taking you ALL over the world to collect things, to make a specific precursor?

CoffeeMan

Anyone else get the feeling the full Mawdry Ascended Backpiece setup is a prototype for the future precursor scavenger hunt? Imagine the Mawdry path, but ten times longer, taking you ALL over the world to collect things, to make a specific precursor?

i sure hope so, I'm really enjoying what they're doing here :)

Same. I've not stared yet at all, so today I got my notes in order to see all the things I'm going to have to do, and it's going to take me like, a month or two to get all the way from Mysterious Vine to Mawdry.

I love how it takes you all over: Fractals, mini-dungeons, world bosses, Jumping Puzzles..

mhm, seems like a prototype to me.

I also like that some bits cannot be bought, but some bits can, so it'd stimulate the economy and give crafters a way to make money, if precursor scavenger hunt involved a lot of time-gated crafting materials that people can make to sell.

Levyne

Banned
I'm really not interested in the vine piece. If I chuck the pieces, can I get them again by playing the story again? (just in case I change my mind down the road)

Zeroth

I'm really not interested in the vine piece. If I chuck the pieces, can I get them again by playing the story again? (just in case I change my mind down the road)

My understanding is that you will need to buy them from the NPC vendor that is trading the bugged vines, but they cost laurels and I'm not sure how much.

Trey

I've already done 93% of it on my Mesmer, it was fun but I'd like to go about it faster this time if it's possible.

I'm sure there are optimized paths that cut down on waypointing, but I can't imagine they would be super time saving. You would have to run them often enough that they become second nature for it to be really efficient, and world completion is already time constrained by certain events you can't control.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
My understanding is that you will need to buy them from the NPC vendor that is trading the bugged vines, but they cost laurels and I'm not sure how much.
Can't you get them from playing through on another character?
Everybody gonna have the Cool Ranch Doritos but nobody gonna have the Nacho Cheese Doritos.
I want the Purple Alien Dorito :D

nataku

Customer Support asked me to clarify that refunds are only given to players owning 4 or more tags. No refunds will be processed prior to Sept. 9. Watch our official forums for further details later today.

Source

Anyone here have more than 4 tags?

Ketch

Why does everyone only want to run AC and cof? I figured everyone would have had all the tokens for things they wanted by now, and it makes it harder to get hotw runs.

Levyne

Banned
Why does everyone only want to run AC and cof? I figured everyone would have had all the tokens for things they wanted by now, and it makes it harder to get hotw runs.

Fast and easy. AC gives ~50 more silver per run too.

I've always had a soft spot for the two vanilla TA runs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom