• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT4| The only subscription you need is this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
So happy!

gw069_zpse1dacd7a.jpg

Swag as hell.

BraXzy

I'm fairly picky about what I buy. I don't grab free (or PS+) games if I'm near certain I'm not looking forward to them enough to ever play them. Not buying a lot of games in the first place is a pretty good way to keep the backlog trim.

Getting back into guild wars is not.

Yup. Every time I get round to tackling something in my backlog, a multiplayer game steals my time and I just never get round to it.

So happy!

gw069_zpse1dacd7a.jpg

Swag as hell.

Congrats! And congrats to Leng Jaii too for his Twilight. Hopefully I'll join you with mine soon :(

WvW gods pls gief Blue Team.

Korten

Banned
I mean, you don't get a backlog of 112 games by playing them. ;) If you're more picky, you're more likely to actually experience the stuff you're buying, instead of giving yourself a gaming "tsundoku".

Eh, I feel like If I don't then I don't get my money's worth. That is at least for games I paid for. Not as concerned with PS+ games.

Also just beat Saints Row the Third. Down one. :)

Shiokazu

I've recently got the itch to start playing an MMO, but I don't know where to start. The only MMO I've ever played for more than an hour or two is FFXIV on PS4. I've been looking at re-upping that, buying GW2, subbing to WoW, or playing The Old Republic.

I already own FF, so I'd just need to buy game time. I've wanted to play WoW for a while, mostly just because it's such a phenomenon that I kind of want in on. GW2 is appealing because there's no sub fee. And I was only looking at SWTOR because I really like Star Wars. I mostly just want a game that will give me good value for my money, not get old quick, will feel like an huge adventure rather than a chore, and has a good community here on Gaf that I can be a part of.

So what should I go with Gaf?

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=875132 you guys know what to do :3

What is this gift of the mists for

The new backpiece..

EDIT: Derp, I was thinking of Mist Stone. Gift of the Mists is used to Ascend the Fractal Capacitor backpiece, I think.

Double edit- Actually, I have no idea what you're talking about. I can't find any reference to "Gift of the Mists".

Jira

It's a damn good thing that NCSoft has GW2. In the Q2 earnings call, GW2 made 22bn won inbetween LS seasons and a content slump nearly 2 years post release, while Wildstar launched and only managed 28bn with a brand new game AND time for actual subscriptions to roll in. Can't imagine NCSoft is too happy about picking up WS now, especially not with that huge development time.

Oh damn WS sold less than 500k boxes at launch holy shit, Warhammer outsold it then.

Proven

interesting information about commander tags.

Basically buy now if you want one because they will soon be going up in price substantially at the trade off of becoming account bound.
Fuck. I'm under 100g again.

Awesome, needed to be quoted again.

lum lum sounds like a panda
I swear I may go ahead and make a Yomi thread if it actually ever comes out on Steam. The only reason I didn't for the kickstarter was because I really want to make a Puzzle Strike thread instead...

BraXzy

Oh damn WS sold less than 500k boxes at launch holy shit, Warhammer outsold it then.

Ouch. That's not good is it :/

I feel like someone needs to do a well edited "introduction to Guild Wars 2" video to recruit potential guild mates. Get footage from various parts of the game, some guild events, living story, that sort of thing. Get retro to narrate if it needs a voice over. Would have to be something short and sweet though so maybe just some music.

Haha yes! Anything with Retro's voice will sell things like hotcakes.

Shiokazu

I feel like someone needs to do a well edited "introduction to Guild Wars 2" video to recruit potential guild mates. Get footage from various parts of the game, some guild events, living story, that sort of thing. Get retro to narrate if it needs a voice over. Would have to be something short and sweet though so maybe just some music.

just call lump and retro to do so, the game music is already good.

forrest

formerly nacire
Hey GW Gaf, finally decided to take the plunge with the current sale and all. I played briefly during beta and enjoyed what I played. I've always been a fairly hardcore endgame hunter in WoW, but I'm looking at a more casual pve, exploration type of journey with GW2.

Can you guys give me any pointers out of the gate for a ranger based character? I've always loved physical ranged dmg classes and want to start out with that archetype for my first character. Any race recommendations?

Also, I don't remember if it's server based, but if so where does GAF reside?

Hey GW Gaf, finally decided to take the plunge with the current sale and all. I played briefly during beta and enjoyed what I played. I've always been a fairly hardcore endgame hunter in WoW, but I'm looking at a more casual pve, exploration type of journey with GW2.

Can you guys give me any pointers out of the gate for a ranger based character? I've always loved physical ranged dmg classes and want to start out with that archetype for my first character. Any race recommendations?

I'll leave detailed advice to more experienced players. My main character is a ranger Sylvari and I think it's a pretty nice combination.

Anyway, the "base" is SBI; with megaservers though it should t be necessary to be in the exact same server, as long as it's a US server. But most of us are in SBI :)
Have fun!

Ashodin

Races don't matter particularly, though there are specific utilities (and elites) each can use.

I myself have a Charr Ranger, and I enjoy being able to swap in the elite Charrzooka from time to time (you get a giant bazooka that can shoot AOE and deal damage from far away, as well as knock back enemies)

Korten

Banned
This post from: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=875132&page=2

Wow is still definitely the best all around experience for someone that is looking for it.

GW is B2P but completely shallow.
FF14 is decent but the gameplay is just a worse wow clone aside from the quest story, which I think is highly worth it once, but otherwise it's just slower, less deep wow combat.
SWTOR is worth playing through once or twice for stories, they're a lot of fun. Also very wow clone-y.

At this point, NEARLY every mmo you play is a wow clone tbh, and most of them do absolutely 0 things better. You're not a complete newbie so you may be best off just using trials for all of these, and seeing if you can tell what you like/dislike about a game, it can be tough if you don't know what you're looking for since these are RARELY even remotely as deep as you'll eventually find when you scratch the surface only, but what else can you do?

The GAF hiveminds for GW and FF14 are probably the strongest, while the wow community is strong but don't all play together. If money isn't an issue then whatever, if it is definitely invest in trial periods first. See an example of group content in every game since that's mostly important, and go from there.

I just... UGH... As a person who plays both GW2 and FF14 this in infuriates me... :mad: If you wonder why I didn't respond to him in the thread, I didn't want to give him the satisfaction. XD

forrest

formerly nacire
I'll leave detailed advice to more experienced players. My main character is a ranger Sylvari and I think it's a pretty nice combination.

Anyway, the "base" is SBI; with megaservers though it should t be necessary to be in the exact same server, as long as it's a US server. But most of us are in SBI :)
Have fun!

Races don't matter particularly, though there are specific utilities (and elites) each can use.

I myself have a Charr Ranger, and I enjoy being able to swap in the elite Charrzooka from time to time (you get a giant bazooka that can shoot AOE and deal damage from far away, as well as knock back enemies)

Thanks for the info guys! Pretty hefty download, but just got Verizon Fios today which is actually really nice compared to the Brighthouse cable I just got rid of! Should be making a character in the next half hour or so!

As far as WoW goes, it's a great product no doubt, but it's WoW and after playing it so damn much I'm really just looking for a different vibe altogether. I remember during the beta that GW2 has a really nice atmosphere and was quite immersive while I was trekking around exploring and taking things in at a slower pace. Honestly that's exactly what I'm looking for right now and if it turns into something different in the long run, then that is awesome too!

Levyne

Banned

Hi. I play Ranger.

I used to be split pretty evenly between PVE/PVP/WvW but recently am mostly just sticking to PVE in limited time. So that's the mindset where my tips are coming from. I'll start with the basics like your weapon and utility skill selection, and will mention the pet mechanic a bit.

If your goal is to do a lot of damage at range...well...that's tricky. "Melee is king", some might say. I don't mean that as strictly as it sounds but hear me out. You can do a lot of damage with something like a longbow. However, how the Ranger longbow works is that it does more damage the farther away you are. This means in a lot of situations, it isn't ideal. You'll likely be away from your party boons and won't be able to support/res them (nor they to you). The longbow (and shortbow) are also largely single target weapons (outside of a long cooldown barrage skill on the longbow and a shorter cooldown arrow spread skill on the shortbow) meaning that your actual output is more limited compared to a melee weapon that can cleave. Obviously, sometimes single target is all you need, but it's something to be aware of. You can also trait to have your arrows pierce or outfit your bow so that it does and aoe fire effect or such on a percentage of your critical hits. So the longbow is good for....loosely following a WvW commander to get tags from far away or to defend positions. Or lazily tagging enemies in a pve world event. In most dungeons and such, it's not really useful. I don't like the shortbow as much as some other rangers. It used to have the same range as the longbow, but that was corrected so that it only have 3/4ths the range. Understandable, but it was a bummer of a nerf. However, the damage done by the shortbow is not dependent on target range. The shortbow is a better skirmishing weapon, it has a nice weapon evade and works okay with condition builds since the auto attack can stack bleeds fairly quickly. Your last ranged option is an axe, actually. Main-hand axe is a weapon of equal range to the shortbow. It's also a lazy weapon because the axe will riccochet between 3 enemies each time you throw. So unlike a bow, the axe naturally does something sort of analogous to cleaving. The damage output is only moderate, but I like to have it since it's nice to keep a ranged option and I like to have my off-hand available so I avoid bows (which are two handed).

So, the Melee options are Greatsword and Sword. Both of these are great weapons. The greatsword is super versatile and there's very few situations where it's inappropriate. The damage is good and the auto attack gives you periodic evasion frames. Maul is a fairly low cooldown spike damage attack that applies vulnerability, swoop is great for a gap closer or a chaser, the 4th and 5th skills give you moderate cc ability with a block/counterattack and a hilt bash. So basically the greatsword is a handy weapon in a lot of situations. The sword is more specialized. One key way the sword differs from the greatsword is that it *snaps* you to your target. This is somewhat weird and is a tricky thing to get used to. While the greatsword allows you you maintain free control over your character (except for the swooping attack...which obviously swoops you forward), the sword's attack chain will continuously pounce you to your target. Thus, it's best to turn the auto attack off so that you have as much control as possible. The sword provides higher damage than the greatsword but is trickier to use. The 2nd and 3rd skills on sword are evasive attack techniques, but each of them has a sort of wind-up so you have to use them more carefully than your dodge roll evade. I like sword because it also allows you to use an offhand weapon:

Ranger has some really nifty offhands to choose from.The dagger is an evasive weapon that I hardly ever use for pve...so I'm going to skip that one. The torch I also don't use much, but it does good damage and provides a fire field for combos and might stacking, which is always useful. The warhorn gives you a 16 hit ranged attack and a blast finisher party support call. The warhorn is the Ranger's only real reliable blast finisher, and you'll learn why those are so important as you become familiar with the game. So I almost always have a warhorn on me. The off-hand axe is by far my favorite. It gives you a highly damaging and piercing single directional pull attack and an attack that roots you while reflecting incoming attacks and dealing damage. The pull attack is super useful because it 1. does a lot of damage 2. pulls enemies together for cleave/spell aoe 3. interupts the enemy action. It's awesome, basically.

So what to take from that? Basically, even though the tempation is high (this is how I started out too), I would not make your 2 weapons sets to be longbow and shortbow. Even though you are a "ranger". At least make sure to try out the other sets.

Ranger utility skills come in 5 flavors: traps, spirits, survival, shouts, and signets. I don't want to just list every single one or anything so I will sort of trim the fat and just give the digest version. The most popular of the spirits is the frost spirit, which gives you and nearby allies a damage boost. There are other spirits for other boons. Traps are basically how you imagine they would be. Shouts are mostly underpowered skills that relate to your pet, but Sic Em is one of the most popular shouts that really ups your pet's damage for a duration. Survival skills are varied, but lightning reflexes is a great defensive utlite that gives you another evade and quickening zephyr is a great offensive survival utility that increases your attack/activation speed. Signets give you (if traited) and your pets various effects, one of my favorites is Signet of the Wild, which gives you a lot of boons and buffs, it's a nice skill. A ranger heal skill of note is the Healing Spring, which cleanses conditions every two seconds and gives the party a water field to blast for more healing.

The Pet mechanic of the ranger is...difficult. Each ranger gets a pet that has their own abilities along with one ability you initiate. Pets families each have their own strengths and weaknesses, and specific pet species within a family have unique specific skills. For instance, the Feline pets do the most damage to a single target, where within that family, the Jungle Stalker can provide the party Might while the Jaguar can stealth itself. Drakes can cleave and have a tail swipe blase finisher, the Ice Drake has an ice breath attack, etc. I personally try to rely on the pet very little. I do not trait at all into the pet-based trait line and I do not use shouts like Sic Em which are purely pet buffs. You can micromanage your pets somewhat with some basic inputs but it's not super robust. Pets can often die to aoe you knew you avoid but their AI pathing didn't. You can mitigate this by knowing which pets to bring to which places, but it's always a bit of a struggle. That said, if you swap pets frequently and keep them healed, then generally you won't have too much down time with your pets being dead.

Generally, when playing a ranger you just have to know that you do not have the health or armor of a warrior. So you have to learn to use you sword/shortbow evades, your gs block, trait into "Natural Vigor" for faster endurance regeneration, etc.

Lastly, I want to just say that even though I say something like "I don't like the shortbow", nothing I am saying is universal. For instance, a shortbow was the perfect weapon choice for killing a recent boss named Liadri. I know that doesn't mean much to a new player but I'm just trying to say that there's a place for every sort of weapon set or playstyle.

LiveSpartan235

Neo Member
It's a damn good thing that NCSoft has GW2. In the Q2 earnings call, GW2 made 22bn won inbetween LS seasons and a content slump nearly 2 years post release, while Wildstar launched and only managed 28bn with a brand new game AND time for actual subscriptions to roll in. Can't imagine NCSoft is too happy about picking up WS now, especially not with that huge development time.

Don't forget the royalties from China.

forrest

formerly nacire
Awesome Post

Thanks so much for taking the time to do such an excellent write up for me! I really appreciate it. It sounds like the Ranger is definitely versatile and kind of leans away from the old trope of always wielding a bow. Which is kind of cool I guess, but I definitely like using a bow just for personal taste. Maybe Sword/Horn and Longbow, but you make that axe pull attack sound soo tempting! :p

As far as pets go, I've always liked the idea, but until AI gets much better I think relying on pc controlled companion for a large part of your effectiveness is a bad idea. Passive additions brought by AI companions are always welcome bonus though.

I plan on taking my time leveling and exploring as much as possible, so I'm sure I'll have plenty of time to check out many different builds and weapons. Looks like my download is almost done! Thanks again for the great post!

On a side note, are there any classes specific to GW2 that are just a blast to play? I remember the thief promos when it was announced and thinking it looked like a pretty fun class.

Ashodin

The axe pull is gonna get better after the next feature update too. Faster!

Most people swear by the engineer as a fun and blast class to play

Korten

Banned
Thanks so much for taking the time to do such an excellent write up for me! I really appreciate it. It sounds like the Ranger is definitely versatile and kind of leans away from the old trope of always wielding a bow. Which is kind of cool I guess, but I definitely like using a bow just for personal taste. Maybe Sword/Horn and Longbow, but you make that axe pull attack sound soo tempting! :p

As far as pets go, I've always liked the idea, but until AI gets much better I think relying on pc controlled companion for a large part of your effectiveness is a bad idea. Passive additions brought by AI companions are always welcome bonus though.

I plan on taking my time leveling and exploring as much as possible, so I'm sure I'll have plenty of time to check out many different builds and weapons. Looks like my download is almost done! Thanks again for the great post!

On a side note, are there any classes specific to GW2 that are just a blast to play? I remember the thief promos when it was announced and thinking it looked like a pretty fun class.

Warrior is always fun to play. :3

Also remember... don't pick Asura... Little demon footballs.

Levyne

Banned
Yep, engis seem fun and unique class just to goof around and have a lot of fun doing all sorts of crazy stuff. For a more straightforward alternative, playing the Guardian is a great feeling because of how supporty they can be.

leng jai

Asura have the best animations by far but if you like playing dress up I'd stick to Norn/Human. You can barely notice the details on Asura and they have severe clipping issues.

Minamu

I'm pretty screwed, aren't I? Last night, I had 997 achievement points when I left home. My girlfriend was playing on her Ranger on my account and thanks to dailies, got the last three points up to 1000 and thus unlocked the first Zenith skin (I've been looking forward to this for quite a while) without realizing what she had accomplished. Of course, she picked a shortbow skin for her Ranger... I'm gonna have to get another 1000 points now aren't I? :(

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
The new backpiece..

EDIT: Derp, I was thinking of Mist Stone. Gift of the Mists is used to Ascend the Fractal Capacitor backpiece, I think.

Double edit- Actually, I have no idea what you're talking about. I can't find any reference to "Gift of the Mists".

I saw someone post about it here, costing about 3000 fractal relics I think

Retro

Here it is... My complete backlog of games. Bask in all it's glory!

This isn't a nitpick directed at you, but I've never understood the point of having a backlog of games. I play what I want, when I'm in the mood for it, and forcing myself to play something I'm not keen on because it's "on the list" or feeling like I can't enjoy what I'm currently playing because I should be playing something else seems like a bad idea.

Get retro to narrate if it needs a voice over.

What am I, Morgan Freeman?

"Siafra came to GAFGuild Prison in early 2012 for a good time and a guild that was bangin'. On the outside, he'd been a Sylvari Necromancer of a large Krytan guild. Good work for a man as young as he was. . .

I must admit I didn't think much of Siafra first time I laid eyes on him. Looked like a Level 7 breeze would blow him over. That was my first impression of the man. . .

The first night's the toughest, no doubt about it. They load you in under-geared as the day you were rolled, no decent skins and half blind from all the new shit they throw you. And when they put you in that first zone and those concepts slam home, that's when you know it's for real. A whole real life blown away in the blink of an eye, nothin' left but all the time in the world to think about it. . .
"

.... nah.
JUWnj.gif

I know you already received a shitload of rock solid advice, but I'd like to add that Ranger isn't the only profession that can play the "physical ranged dmg" role; Warriors (longbow and rifle) and Thieves (shortbow and pistols) can both be really effective at range as well. Engineer also uses a lot of ranged weapons.

If you like the "Ranger" archetype though, with a pet and traps and the like, then that's definitely your best bet, but the professions in GW2 aren't quite so black and white as other MMOs. Sounds like Ranger is your best bet though.

And you pick on Retro for his Mega posts ? :p

To be fair, his megapost is useful and mine are.... not.

I'm pretty screwed, aren't I? Last night, I had 997 achievement points when I left home. My girlfriend was playing on her Ranger on my account and thanks to dailies, got the last three points up to 1000 and thus unlocked the first Zenith skin (I've been looking forward to this for quite a while) without realizing what she had accomplished. Of course, she picked a shortbow skin for her Ranger... I'm gonna have to get another 1000 points now aren't I? :(

Yep, you're kinda screwed. Game is $25, time to get her her own copy. Then you can play together and avoid any future mishaps.

More info about Feature Pack.

Siege Disabler trap sounds like something my thief is going to be using a lot, from the sound of things you can use it from quite a distance. I'm always using her as a scout, so being able to troll the shit out of a small group's siege (obviously it wouldn't work too well on a large, organized blob) while reinforcements arrive would be more productive than just calling out the door's health.

Minamu

Yep, you're kinda screwed. Game is $25, time to get her her own copy. Then you can play together and avoid any future mishaps.
Yeah I've suggested it many times, more so now that it's on sale. She's getting too invested in her cutesy Ranger on my account though :lol And she doesn't have her own pc except two old school laptops :/ Maybe for her upcoming birthday but by then she'll want even less to start over I suppose.

Retro

Yeah I've suggested it many times, more so now that it's on sale. She's getting too invested in her cutesy Ranger on my account though :lol And she doesn't have her own pc except two old school laptops :/ Maybe for her upcoming birthday but by then she'll want even less to start over I suppose.

Yeah, that's gonna be the hard sell, getting her to start over. What's your situation like, though? Maybe get a new account for yourself? Because I won't lie, playing an MMO with a significant other sound silly (you're "doing something together", but you might as well be in another state), but it's actually pretty fun if you both enjoy it as a hobby.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
So there's always this "miscellaneous" aspect when making a biography that doesn't affect the quest.

I know for charr, it picks the character who sticks with you up to level 30.

What about the others though? What does the god blessing in Human, the animal spirit in Norn, the time of birth in Sylvari, and... something from Asura?

BraXzy

Oh boy, that is one heck of a mega post Levyne. I'll be sure to bookmark that if I ever make a ranger! Speaking of which, I really wish there were enough character slots for all professions, I keep forgetting about Engineer which I also want to play. And then there's Necro too. I'll probably end up with at least one extra character slot I suppose.

Off topic, but when you mentioned micro-manage it reminded me, look up Meepo from Dota 2. I gave up trying to play him.
He's a character that gains a clone every few levels with a max of four clones. You typically have each one doing something different and utilise a teleport-to-other-clone ability for when things heat up

On topic, forrest you mentioned that you were also considering Thief. It's a really fun class and since you are a fan of rangers I'll just mention, on top of various melee weapons they can use a shortbow with auto-attacks that bounce between multiple enemies which is prttttty sweet ;)

leng jai

From Urban Dictionary Uncle:

conversate. A word used by backwards, ignorant, illiterate inner city trash who mean to say 'converse'.

Icomp

Okay, so I've been 80 for a while and started looking into interesting back-pieces and ascended gear.

Holy shit.

Exotic is so so so so much easier to get than the other stuff. It feels like everything else takes too much time to get. Everything suddenly turned into a grind.

:(

This makes me sad.

spiritfox

Okay, so I've been 80 for a while and started looking into interesting back-pieces and ascended gear.

Holy shit.

Exotic is so so so so much easier to get than the other stuff. It feels like everything else takes too much time to get. Everything suddenly turned into a grind.

This makes me sad.

Exo is good enough for pretty much anything. Ascended is just there for kicks and Fractals.

leng jai

Holy shit.

This makes me sad.

Ascended gear (the armour in particular) is a waste of time for most people. The stat difference is negligible and the skins look average to poor besides a few nice weapons. The main reason to get them is if you're into high level Fractals since you'll be needing the Agony Resistance slots. Definitely not worth the gold/time/effort to get them otherwise.

You can safely ignore The Yanger. He's a career troll, who's been threadshitting in GW2 related threads for a long time. Even when he's called out and it is proven, beyond a doubt, that he likes to lie and fabricate information, he just keeps on trucking and hides behind "GW2 defense force is persecuting me wah". Dude has serious issues, like a guy standing on a street corner screaming at anyone who will listen about the "lizard people trying to take your guns". I don't know what GW2 ever did to him, but he's latched on to it as this great evil he has to save people from.

I don't think anyone takes him seriously anymore, though people new to the forums do run the risk of taking his posts at face value as honest, which is a problem, but it can't be helped. You're better off just adding him to your ignore list, and saving yourself the headache.

I usually don't pub dungeon runs. Then when I don't do it for a while I think, I should run a dungeon. I'll use LFG real quick. Then I realize again why I don't pub dungeon runs.

Actually most of them aren't that bad but, you can hit some real trolls that way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom