• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT4| The only subscription you need is this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Levyne

Banned
I'd hate to ever have my name attached to a "defense force", which is why I generally just post a quick blurb, link to either the game site or the thread, and a short little post. If they came in here asking more detailed questions I'd go into more detail.

Okay, so I've been 80 for a while and started looking into interesting back-pieces and ascended gear.

Holy shit.

Exotic is so so so so much easier to get than the other stuff. It feels like everything else takes too much time to get. Everything suddenly turned into a grind.

:(

This makes me sad.

Come do fractals with me to farm relics for your ascended backpiece, its probably the easiest one to get ;)

I've been kinda obssessed with Fractals lately lol

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Okay, so I've been 80 for a while and started looking into interesting back-pieces and ascended gear.

Holy shit.

Exotic is so so so so much easier to get than the other stuff. It feels like everything else takes too much time to get. Everything suddenly turned into a grind.

:(

This makes me sad.
Ascended amulets, rings, and accessories are pretty simple to get over time. You don't have to worry about Ascended weapons and armor at all unless you're getting very high into the fractal levels, which accordingly is a good idea if you really want to get Ascended gear :p

It's not necessary for anything. There are tons of exotic skins you could go after if you want to just improve your look.

BraXzy

Come do fractals with me to farm relics for your ascended backpiece, its probably the easiest one to get ;)

I've been kinda obssessed with Fractals lately lol

I would do tonight but I'll probably be in WvW at reset in the hopes of owning blue side or taking it with the zerg. I think for a back piece I'm gonna make the Light of Dwayna.

Are there any classes in the game that transform like druids?

There is no dedicated class aimed at transformation like Druid, but certain professions/races have the odd temporary transforming abilities like Norn animals.

But on the bright side, we have tonnes of tonics!

The Norn have some racial abilities that transform them into the different animal spirits, but the racial abilities in this game are generally balanced to be weaker than the Profession abilities to discourage people from choosing a race solely for any advantage.

BraXzy

So since this game is on sale I was thinking of picking it up. Anyone got any pointers or advice?

Definitely pick it up! For pointers and such, the actual first posts in the OT have lots of links to guides and tips. And when in-game there are always people in the guild happy to offer advice and help.

I would do tonight but I'll probably be in WvW at reset in the hopes of owning blue side or taking it with the zerg. I think for a back piece I'm gonna make the Light of Dwayna.

There is no dedicated class aimed at transformation like Druid, but certain professions/races have the odd temporary transforming abilities like Norn animals.

But on the bright side, we have tonnes of tonics!

I'll probably be on before reset, if you're up for it we could do fractals then :D

Trey

One race can transform into animals - the Norn. But that's only (one) of their elite skills, and those skills have a 30 second duration with a 240 second cooldown.

Humans have an elite skill that transforms them into an avatar of Melandru or Grenth, both gods in GW lore.

Necromancers, a class, has shroud form, and an elite skill that turns them into a Lich.

So there is combat transformation in the game, but it's not a heavy part of any class or race's combat identity. The only practical transformation is bear form, and that's only for certain parts of dungeon speedruns.

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Transform

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
On a side note, are there any classes specific to GW2 that are just a blast to play? I remember the thief promos when it was announced and thinking it looked like a pretty fun class.
You got a bunch of blasphemous answers, Thief is the correct one, they are the most fun to play, also the most powerful and the best-looking and most intelligent
The Norn have some racial abilities that transform them into the different animal spirits, but the racial abilities in this game are generally balanced to be weaker than the Profession abilities to discourage people from choosing a race solely for any advantage.
A couple of those Norn skills are actually pretty decent for Racial abilities. But yeah, no class dedicated to transformation.
So since this game is on sale I was thinking of picking it up. Anyone got any pointers or advice?
Ben-Stiller-Is-Retro-Do-It-Reaction-Gif.gif

Pick Stormbluff Isle and join the Guild! Do it by tomorrow night and you can likely come to a Guild Mission or two with us.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Still asking what the god choice in Human, spirit choice in Norn, Birth timing choice in Sylvari, and what ever the choice in Asura does

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
You can safely ignore The Yanger. He's a career troll, who's been threadshitting in GW2 related threads for a long time. Even when he's called out and it is proven, beyond a doubt, that he likes to lie and fabricate information, he just keeps on trucking and hides behind "GW2 defense force is persecuting me wah". Dude has serious issues, like a guy standing on a street corner screaming at anyone who will listen about the "lizard people trying to take your guns". I don't know what GW2 ever did to him, but he's latched on to it as this great evil he has to save people from.

I don't think anyone takes him seriously anymore, though people new to the forums do run the risk of taking his posts at face value as honest, which is a problem, but it can't be helped. You're better off just adding him to your ignore list, and saving yourself the headache.

I recall him being in GW2 in the early threads before.

So as always, the charr gets the best deal because you get a partner

Dinky4life

BraXzy

You got a bunch of blasphemous answers, Thief is the correct one, they are the most fun to play, also the most powerful and the best-looking and most intelligent.

I said Thief, I am not a blashphemer :p

Southsun is man's country.

Southsun is a vacation compared to Orr.

That's fine, I'm only at 12 myself, we can decide when we make the group

It's a date.
I expect flowers.

BraXzy

funny this totally depends on the class to me. Orr is a playground on my thief, but without reflect he gets frequently owned in Southsun unless I run my most survivable build

To be fair, neither are really a problem, Orr is just bigger. Both are filled with pesky mobs that cripple/immobilise/slow which is a pain!

If large new main zones get added, I'd like one that is dead purty with lots of jumping puzzles and low amounts of enemies. And then another zone which is like Orr Extreme with super challenging enemies and crazy dynamic events and to top it off, environmental hazards that make traversal a challenge in itself.

spiritfox

Anyone familiar with Rangers in WvW, what stats do you guys run? I'm debating whether I should towards survivability or just go full zerk and YOLO. Also, I welcome any Ranger tips in general for PvP/WvW.

OrigiNull

So I just got my first character to 80... what should I be spending my Karma and Laurels on?

I've been playing since release off and on but kept bouncing between characters so I have a bunch of both but never had an 80 to spend them on...

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Anyone familiar with Rangers in WvW, what stats do you guys run? I'm debating whether I should towards survivability or just go full zerk and YOLO. Also, I welcome any Ranger tips in general for PvP/WvW.
Not a ranja here so *gives salt grain*

But if you're talking about roaming in WvW it's different thank if you mean to be part of a zerg. If zerg, no zerk- you'll be a "rallybot" for the enemy.
So I just got my first character to 80... what should I be spending my Karma and Laurels on?

I've been playing since release off and on but kept bouncing between characters so I have a bunch of both but never had an 80 to spend them on...
Grats! Make your first Laurel purchase an Ascended amulet (I suggest one with a "Utility Slot").

Karma is a different story. Are you interested in pursuing a legendary at all?

edit: Post how much you've got of each if you're interested in more detailed advice :)

Levyne

Banned

Laurels can be used for Ascended stuffs. You can also get neat Living World skins or little fun goodies like the cat tonic or some minis. I currently am using by laurels for some T6 mat bags.

Karma you can get some exotic armor sets from each orr temple. You can gamble on Orrian jewel boxes for lodestones and some other stuff. Karma is also used for Obsidian shards (probably the most reliable acquisition method for those, though there are others.) which are used in some crafting. Lots of people kind of sit on many millions of karma since the uses for it are fairly limited (at least compared to something like Laurels, in my opinion).

O also something I learned yesterday regarding Temple armors, they can be tossed into the great mystic toilet. Seeing as I got ~500k karma left I have a feeling the toilet will be seeing more offerings from me lol

BraXzy

Like Hawk said, definitely get an Ascended trinket for your main at the very least. If you have done much WvW you should be able to spend a reduced amount of laurels with Badges of Honor to make up for it. I'd say get an amulet for every character you play a fair emount because you'll never need to upgrade them and you're set for life in that regard. Then it all depends on personal preference, T6 Heavy Material bags are a good conversion for gold or valuable resources. Other materials such as Obsidian Shards are better acquired elsewhere. The other thing being the expensive cat tonic and such.

As for Karma, armour is always a good thing to spend it on. Whether it be for skins or for the stats. Again, like Hawk said, of you ever will be considering creating a Legendary weapon, you will need roughly 1 million Karma to spend on Obsidian Shards so you might want to save it in that case.

Laurels can be used for Ascended stuffs. You can also get neat Living World skins or little fun goodies like the cat tonic or some minis. I currently am using by laurels for some T6 mat bags.

Oh of course I always forget this. If you missed Season 1 of the Living World and also missed the chance to get old skins during the Festival of the Four Winds, you can buy any of the items that were available during the festival from a Laurel Vendor for 25 laurels and 15 Gold. It's quite the pricy purchase and it is the same for every item regardless of rarity so I'd mainly suggest getting things like the Mini Panda and Endless Dolyak Tonic unless something really takes your fancy.

NA should kinda have this locked up on class distribution alone until China's Thief is like ludicrously good at making plays. But so far it's going exactly like I'd have predicted. Dunno what they were thinking!
It's like the china team went to metabattle.com and picked builds at random.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
It's like the china team went to metabattle.com and picked builds at random.
Actually that really does seem like what happened. Maybe this will create a monster though XD

Expect EU to kick our asses tomorrow .

edit: China could use a Mesmer. They are playing the most straightforward turtley strategy ever against a team with 2 eles and a necro. They've adapted a bit but should still lose comfortably unless NA screws up something/Lord shenanigans.

They oughta abandon mid and hold home/far :p

OrigiNull

Grats! Make your first Laurel purchase an Ascended amulet (I suggest one with a "Utility Slot").

Karma is a different story. Are you interested in pursuing a legendary at all?

edit: Post how much you've got of each if you're interested in more detailed advice :)

Well I guess this raises further questions.... what should I do now?

I leveled doing personal story and getting 100% in zones. I would eventually like to get world completion and check out the dungeons I guess. I haven't played much WvW but it seemed chaotic and I didn't really feel like I was contributing all that much.

My 80 is a Guardian and I was running a greatsword/sword/focus combo for the time but might change that depending on where I focus.

Do I want to make a legendary?? Is there some reason not to or are they just crazy expensive?

I leveled doing personal story and getting 100% in zones. I would eventually like to get world completion and check out the dungeons I guess. I haven't played much WvW but it seemed chaotic and I didn't really feel like I was contributing all that much.

My 80 is a Guardian and I was running a greatsword/sword/focus combo for the time but might change that depending on where I focus.

Do I want to make a legendary?? Is there some reason not to or are they just crazy expensive?

Fractals if you want to get your ascended rings (and eventually backpiece?), exploreable modes of dungeons for gold, world bosses (there's timer websites that can show you what map and when each will spawn), pvp for tomes (levels you up 1 level) for leveling alts are some of your options. From what I know of legendaries (and it isn't a whole lot), they are crazy expensive to buy outright, or just very time consuming to get all the materials (and still expensive) to craft.

Try checking out all the dungeons (story and explore), fractals, get your world completion, and just do the content you find fun, like Living World, etc.

A Legendary is a long-term goal (mine took a year to make), and something you kind of do as an aside to playing. Keeping track of what materials you need, what you have, while playing normally. It'll build itself eventually, but it will take a long time. Or, a lot of money if you're impatient.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane

So, there's no "what you're supposed to do" you gotta set some goals.

World Completion is a concrete one for you to go after, especially if you don't know what else interests you yet AND think you might want a legendary. A legendary is a huge time and effort and gold investment, but what I meant was more along the lines of "do any of them interest you?" There are tons of other skins you could pursue besides a legendary as well, both armor and weapons. Check out the Argos Soft galleries if you're interested in just working toward making yourself look cooler. Make sure to take part in our guild missions if you haven't yet! You could also go for the Dungeon Master title, try all the world bosses and especially the Tequatl and Triple Wurm fights if you haven't yet, go after level 50 in fractals (which would eventually involve pursuing Ascended gear), do every jumping puzzle, and/or get into PvP or WvW. You can also play through the 4 living story episodes, whether or not you've beaten your personal story. It's really up to you.
The guy posting swastikas on twitch chat?
the same

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom