• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT4| The only subscription you need is this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TrounceX

Well I guess this raises further questions.... what should I do now?

I leveled doing personal story and getting 100% in zones. I would eventually like to get world completion and check out the dungeons I guess. I haven't played much WvW but it seemed chaotic and I didn't really feel like I was contributing all that much.

My 80 is a Guardian and I was running a greatsword/sword/focus combo for the time but might change that depending on where I focus.

Do I want to make a legendary?? Is there some reason not to or are they just crazy expensive?

Which server are you on? WvW kind of sucks imo if you're not on a T1 or T2 server.

And I personally think Legendary's are a waste of resources, but it's really up to you if you really like a certain skin or something. There's a lot of unique exotic weapons that can be crafted or purchased for more reasonable amounts of gold.

For example I purchased:

Foefire's Essence
Foefire's Power
The Crossing
Whisperblade
The Anomaly

and fully geared out my Guardian for far less than the cost of a single Legendary.

Legendaries are really just a goal to chase for people who have no other goals at the moment. I was fully kitted out in Ascended armour, weapons, trinkets, have done all the dungeons, Living World was on break... so a Legendary was a pretty interesting ride.

I think the Mawdry II chase is far more interesting though, since it involves actually playing content you might otherwise not.

In other news, we decided to bite the bullet and trade in all our Xbox 360 games today (we're trying to fund an expensive purchase). Managed to get $300, but I was still sad to see all my babies go.

ScttzX1.jpg

BraXzy

I leveled doing personal story and getting 100% in zones. I would eventually like to get world completion and check out the dungeons I guess. I haven't played much WvW but it seemed chaotic and I didn't really feel like I was contributing all that much.

My 80 is a Guardian and I was running a greatsword/sword/focus combo for the time but might change that depending on where I focus.

Do I want to make a legendary?? Is there some reason not to or are they just crazy expensive?

I haven't yet played a Guardian so I can't really give any advice on anything to do with that but, if exploring is the only real thing you've done I'd definitely recommend dungeons. Some of them are really fun, and Fractals which are similar are even more fun imo which you can also try. For your first run in a dungeon, try to run with guild members who can take it slow and talk you through them, random people aren't always kind or patient.

As far as Legendaries go, they aren't necessary at all and are crazy expensive to buy straight up but a lot of people, myself included, choose to take on the challenge of crafting one. I'd recommend looking up Legendary weapon in the Trading Post and preview them to see which, if any, you'd like. For a list of Legendaries:

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Legendary_weapon

Levyne

Banned
Is the coke can for a scale reference?

Now I am thirsty.

Edit: My 360 is boxed up and I doubt I will ever play it again. I could probably trade it all that stuff too but sometimes it's hard to give up that "ownership" as valueless as it might be.

Is the coke can for a scale reference?

Now I am thirsty.

Edit: My 360 is boxed up and I doubt I will ever play it again. I could probably trade it all that stuff too but sometimes it's hard to give up that "ownership" as valueless as it might be.

Yeah, that's a coke can. And it was pretty painful for me too, but.. that's what is required for zen after all. As much as it sucked to get rid of it all, it's also a huge weight off my shoulders. The PS3 library will likely go next.

BraXzy

thats a lot of games wow.

I just saw that, hot damn. Trade in value often sucks so there must be a heck of a lot games on that list to get a $300 payout!

I intended to keep my rather small collection of Xbox 360 games but almost half of them are being released on Xbox One in the form of the massive Master Chief collection haha.

Legendaries are really just a goal to chase for people who have no other goals at the moment. I was fully kitted out in Ascended armour, weapons, trinkets, have done all the dungeons, Living World was on break... so a Legendary was a pretty interesting ride.

I think the Mawdry II chase is far more interesting though, since it involves actually playing content you might otherwise not.

In other news, we decided to bite the bullet and trade in all our Xbox 360 games today (we're trying to fund an expensive purchase). Managed to get $300, but I was still sad to see all my babies go.

Coke Vanilla Zero???

HOLY SHIT. America is the greatest planet on earth!

Retro

Forrest.2709

Can someone toss me a guild invite please? Thanks!

Done, messaged you in-game.

come on twitch "there was a problem ignoring that user"
The guy posting swastikas on twitch chat?

Yeah, I can understand why you want to nazi that sort of thing.
Joking aside, Twitch = Official Forums; LIVE!

Whatever you've enjoyed doing from 0-80, you can really kind of keep on doing it.

If PvE is your preference, there's probably a bunch of zones you haven't seen (world completion), and there's the Living Story to always check out when they add another episode. Sounds like you wrapped up your personal story, but haven't hit dungeons yet. They're very satisfying, and since you've played for a while you have a grasp on why the so-called chaos that others describe is essential to the experience. I recommend GAF groups if at all possible, or you're likely to run into people who want to skip cinematics, cheese bosses and do all sorts of things that sap the fun out in the name of efficiency.

On the other hand, World vs. World is always dynamic, though your experience varies based on who's commanding, how many people you have, etc. I haven't played much more than an hour or so total since the end of the Tournament, but that was my fault for burning myself out. Now that the Living Story has ended, I'll probably swing back in there on reset night. It's usually a great time, whether you're running with the pack or havoc squading around the map and maybe picking off a few larger objectives.

I'm also finding (thanks mostly to Moondrop) that PVP isn't nearly as awful as I was expecting. Especially if you're going in as a group with a strategy. I'm someone who swore off arena-style PVP after World of Warcraft's was so off-putting, but all of my complaints (The trinity is not conducive to PvP and gear should never be a determining factor) are absent here. I'm genuinely surprised how much I've been enjoying it lately (though in small doses).

On top of all of that, you can collect skins (there's more lurking around low level areas on Karma vendors than you might think), work on achievements (completing the Jumping Puzzles category is the most fun and satisfying, in my opinion.) or the ultimate game changer; roll an alt. Since the professions are so different, it changes the game pretty significantly.

Finally, you can just stop playing.

Yes, really. Play a different game. Try a different hobby. Go outside, even.

The beauty of Guild Wars 2's endgame is that there really isn't one in the traditional sense. There isn't some special, specific thing that you do over and over again forever until the end of time. The game stops when you want and waits for you to come back.

"Guild Wars 2 has an end game" in the same way Mario, Zelda, Uncharted, Final Fantasy, Halflife, Halo, Grand Theft Auto, etc. have no endgame. They're just games, full stop. It just happens that Guild Wars 2 "adds more game" through the living story / feature updates so there's a reason to play it again from time to time.

Me, when yet another person talks about GW2's mythical "end game" being boring:

I'm crying because they're stupid.

Gonna have to disagree here; I get the sentiment, but not the response, even though I'm just as tired of the "No Endgame!" comments as you are. It's not that they're stupid, it's that they've probably played a ton of MMOs and that's just how they think. Some people like (or think they like) having that carrot they can chase endlessly, always out of reach. While I think that's close to the very definition of madness and wonder if they've permanently screwed up their wiring upstairs, that's their prerogative.

So no, they're not stupid for expecting every MMO to have the same type of endgame; "misguided" maybe, though I think "conditioned" might be the better term. Wwhen I see a "Guild Wars 2 has no endgame" comment, I don't view that as a criticism. That's a positive for me, as I imagine it is for a lot of GW2 players, and I think the reason most gamers don't play MMOs is because they think that way too.

I think someone that gets to 80, doesn't see a raid finder pop up, and then quits forever without even trying to understand what's going on, and then proceeds to complain loudly on the internet in perpetuity about how "GW2 sucks because it has no endgame" - and will not be convinced otherwise even when presented with a well defined description of how the game is different - is being stupid. Everyone is stupid sometimes, myself is no exception. It's not a permanent condition, but it does become quite affixed if someone insists on remaining ignorant, because they don't want to be wrong.

Some of the smartest people I know, including my best friend, are also some of the stupidest people I know. :p

Instead of stupid, let me rather say they're being a derp, or a spaz.

EDIT: Or, as Retro put it: conditioned.

Trey

Whew, that ranger mega post had me sweating.

I feel like Levyne read this

...in the same way that I sometimes feel like correcting Levyne's comments on rangers because people asking for advice may not get that he's joking...

and was all

He probably had 95 percent of that post typed up by yesterday.

Has there been any talk of offering an item in the gem store that, once used, instantly makes the character that used it level 80? Similar to the boost that is purchasable in World of Warcraft.

Has there been any talk of offering an item in the gem store that, once used, instantly makes the character that used it level 80? Similar to the boost that is purchasable in World of Warcraft.

I kind of hope they don't. Because I don't like the idea of trying to imply that 80 is the goal, and selling a "skip the boring stuff" item kind of cheapens the entire game. I suspect the only reason they even did that in WoW, was the undercut the second hand character market. A max level WoW character could sell on the black market for like $500, but now that Blizzard sells an insta-90 item for, what was it, $60, they totally kill that market.

Retro

I think someone that gets to 80, doesn't see a raid finder pop up, and then quits forever without even trying to understand what's going on, and then proceeds to complain loudly on the internet in perpetuity about how "GW2 sucks because it has no endgame" - and will not be convinced otherwise even when presented with a well defined description of how the game is different - is being stupid. Everyone is stupid sometimes, myself is no exception. It's not a permanent condition, but it does become quite affixed if someone insists on remaining ignorant, because they don't want to be wrong.

Some of the smartest people I know, including my best friend, are also some of the stupidest people I know. :p

Instead of stupid, let me rather say they're being a derp, or a spaz.

EDIT: Or, as Retro put it: conditioned.

Fair enough, it's just that "stupid" is kind of an insult and given the last page's discussion on how the community might be getting a little mean-spirited, I thought it was worth commenting on. Like I said, I agree with the message but not the response. "Ignorant" might be better, but that still comes off as kind of an insult. Derp or Spaz kinda works, though I feel like we need a new word to define someone who doesn't just dislike something out of ignorance but also constantly needs to tell everyone about how much they dislike it.

Whew, that ranger mega post had me sweating.

Oh hell no, I am not taking the blame for other peoples' mega posts too!
JUWnj.gif

I kind of hope they don't. Because I don't like the idea of trying to imply that 80 is the goal, and selling a "skip the boring stuff" item kind of cheapens the entire game. I suspect the only reason they even did that in WoW, was the undercut the second hand character market. A max level WoW character could sell on the black market for like $500, but now that Blizzard sells an insta-90 item for, what was it, $60, they totally kill that market.

Yeah, I get what you mean but in all honesty after leveling my first character to 80 the normal way I really don't want to do that again. I've done it through crafting and it's definitely quicker but also very boring. I don't know, I've never been one of those "enjoy the journey" people with these games and always had the most fun once I reached the max level so I could outfit my guy any way I wanted and participate in the various end game events. Plus, exploration has always been my favorite thing to do and it's much easier to do with a maxed out character.

I guess another issue would be that people new to the game, or new to a profession, could get an instant level 80 character, participate in dungeons and stuff but have no idea how to play their character and end up being a burden to others.

Data mined character scrolls, but nothing official.

Yeah, I guess saving up 78 of those would be the quickest way to do it but also expensive since (I think) they are only dropped from Black Lion chests? I've seen people talk of a instant level 20 item but it doesn't seem to be available anymore.

BraXzy

I understand why Blizzard would implement this, because like Miktar said, there was a black market for it. Personally I'd never want to do it in GW2 because I like learning a new professions various skills and trying out all the new weapon combo's as I level. I suppose you could still do that at max level but still. I wouldn't mind level scrolls that were increments similar to the birthday gift since at some point you typically are confident with your profession and just want 80. I think Tome's of Knowledge are adequate enough though.

I would however love an 'Unlock All Traits Permanently' item. Although I'd rather it was something free that you could opt in to.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Wouldn't expect such an item in the gem store, ever. Maybe I'll be proven wrong but I doubt it. The birthday boost-up scrolls are the only thing we're likely to see.

Consider PvP, EotM, AC Story, and crafting in small doses if you want to rush to 80.
I have one of those free level 20 items.
I have 5 left. Make all the characters you want to maybe play one day, ASAP!

Retro

Yeah, I get what you mean but in all honesty after leveling my first character to 80 the normal way I really don't want to do that again. I've done it through crafting and it's definitely quicker but also very boring. I don't know, I've never been one of those "enjoy the journey" people with these games and always had the most fun once I reached the max level so I could outfit my guy any way I wanted and participate in the various end game events. Plus, exploration has always been my favorite thing to do and it's much easier to do with a maxed out character.

I guess another issue would be that people new to the game, or new to a profession, could get an instant level 80 character, participate in dungeons and stuff but have no idea how to play their character and end up being a burden to others..

Actually, that's exactly how PvP works because you're automatically kicked up to level 80 and have your core skills and traits unlocked, so that's not really a concern (well, it is in a "New people will get curb stomped and are likely to try PVP again" sense, but that's a different ball of wax).

I would be okay with a Level 80 booster as long as it's unlocked by having a level 80 already. Or having it tied to birthdays, like the Level 20 boost, because that means you've had the game for a while, at least. I'd much rather have something more convenience-oriented instead though, like an item that unlocks all waypoints for a character in exchange for a Gift of Exploration.

Yeah, I get what you mean but in all honesty after leveling my first character to 80 the normal way I really don't want to do that again. I've done it through crafting and it's definitely quicker but also very boring.

If you keep playing, you'll eventually build up a store of instant level scrolls, level 20 scrolls, and XP boosters. Tomes of Knowledge tend to come around ever now and then, purchasable via whatever event currency is active at that time, so building up a stockpile of those is worth it. I took a character from 1 to 80 in a few minutes once, since I had a level 20, and 60 Tomes of Knowledge (got them back when you could get them via Glory in PVP).

There are quicker ways to level if you don't have the resources, like dungeons and Edge of the Mists. But I think if you're not looking forward to levelling to 80 on a new character, you might be trying to do it too soon. Wait a while, and then the process will actually be fun. I enjoyed going from 1 to 80 the normal way again with my Thief, because I was coming across events I'd never seen before, and doing the content in a new way (since Thief plays so different from what I'm used to).

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Tomes of Knowledge regularly drop from PvP reward tracks at 8 tomes/levels per track.

edit: Taimi not denied to be Tazza's daughter... wat o_O

Actually, that's exactly how PvP works because you're automatically kicked up to level 80 and have your core skills and traits unlocked, so that's not really a concern (well, it is in a "New people will get curb stomped and are likely to try PVP again" sense, but that's a different ball of wax).

I would be okay with a Level 80 booster as long as it's unlocked by having a level 80 already. Or having it tied to birthdays, like the Level 20 boost, because that means you've had the game for a while, at least. I'd much rather have something more convenience-oriented instead though, like an item that unlocks all waypoints for a character in exchange for a Gift of Exploration.

I definitely agree that if a max level booster is offered that there needs to be requirements attached to it, such as already having a level 80 character since it shows you have some understanding of how the game works. And maybe allow it to only be used once a month or something per account

If you keep playing, you'll eventually build up a store of instant level scrolls, level 20 scrolls, and XP boosters. Tomes of Knowledge tend to come around ever now and then, purchasable via whatever event currency is active at that time, so building up a stockpile of those is worth it. I took a character from 1 to 80 in a few minutes once, since I had a level 20, and 60 Tomes of Knowledge (got them back when you could get them via Glory in PVP).

There are quicker ways to level if you don't have the resources, like dungeons and Edge of the Mists. But I think if you're not looking forward to levelling to 80 on a new character, you might be trying to do it too soon. Wait a while, and then the process will actually be fun. I enjoyed going from 1 to 80 the normal way again with my Thief, because I was coming across events I'd never seen before, and doing the content in a new way (since Thief plays so different from what I'm used to).

Yeah, you make a good point on leveling. I'm just going to wait until the idea of it becomes more appealing because I don't want to get burnt out on the game by forcing myself through leveling. I've actually got some of those Tomes of Knowledge from Black Lion chests and planned on saving them up for awhile so that's something to look forward to.

Retro

Yeah, looking into it now, but our webhost is garbage so don't be shocked if it comes back up and they don't bother to tell us why. That's changing soon.

Minamu

Yeah, that's gonna be the hard sell, getting her to start over. What's your situation like, though? Maybe get a new account for yourself? Because I won't lie, playing an MMO with a significant other sound silly (you're "doing something together", but you might as well be in another state), but it's actually pretty fun if you both enjoy it as a hobby.
Buying for myself hadn't occured to me :lol Hmm not sure about that. She's playing right now, in her very first party no less, and I'm surfing on my phone on the bed. Playing together would be more social than this at least ;) I'm trying to show her my hobbies (and my work) so I'm okay with sharing this adventure hehe.

Better head to the Mists
Like Rytlock Brimstone
Better run like Logan
Better mind your tone

So you took down Zhaitan?
That took a lotta gall.
But now we do things Mordry's way
OR WE DON'T DO THINGS AT ALL

I'm just a mean, green Dragon
From Maguuma Wastes
And I'm bad (mean, green, bad)

A real disgrace
And Scarlet got me fightin' mad

From Maguuma Wastes
Gonna blast D's Edge
With vines in your face!
I'm mean and green
And I am bad.

Shiokazu

i still dont know how to evade those deadly vines that come from the floor

i've been trying to figure out how to avoid damage from them but, i simply cant.

dodging gives me a offset but i can only about about half of the attack, shit is like a homing missile with infinite fuel right now for me. the only thing that comes into my mind is putting up a goddamn regeneration, not sure if protection works, i'll have to make a fucking build of healing juuuust for then the shit hits the fan.

and thats for my guardian, the warrior have some problems with them too.

if you find a fucking solution to these dreaded vines on the floor, other than do not get hit, tell me.

( i want to see if i can avoid it by jumping. maybe it would work.)

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Better head to the Mists
Like Rytlock Brimstone
Better run like Logan
Better mind your tone

So you took down Zhaitan?
That took a lotta gall.
But now we do things Mordry's way
OR WE DON'T DO THINGS AT ALL

From Maguuma Wastes
And I'm bad (mean, green, bad)

A real disgrace
And Scarlet got me fightin' mad

From Maguuma Wastes
Gonna blast D's Edge
With vines in your face!
I'm mean and green
And I am bad.
so good

Ashodin

Someone on reddit said well Mawdrey II eats bloodstone dust, and the cinematic had something very stone like in it... Dun dun dun

New Footage of Miktar watching Kos Luftars debut as a cam girl:

sliAgmD.gif

Braxzy challenging Hawkian for supremacy:

WdbLYkF.gif

Adriaa tries to live with the fact that she doesn't know which commander tag to get:

3UNhQo4.gif

Retro entering:

CIQzIE2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom