• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT4| The only subscription you need is this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Moondrop

Banned
Precursors are the items needed to craft Legendary gear right? Where do you have a chance to get them?
They're also regular drops, just insanely rare. That's why people alternatively spend countless gold buying rare and exotic weapons and throwing them in the Mystic Forge for a chance. Which is what earned it the title "Mystic Toilet."

BraXzy

They're also regular drops, just insanely rare. That's why people alternatively spend countless gold buying rare and exotic weapons and throwing them in the Mystic Forge for a chance. Which is what earned it the title "Mystic Toilet."

Ahh, I'd heard that term a couple times in cities and wondered what it meant. I just wiki'd it.. so from my understanding you can throw in a number of rare/exotic's.. regardless of what they are so long as they are level 75 and you have a chance at something crazy good?

What happens if you don't? Is there a chance for it to turn up nothing? Or junk?

What happens if you don't? Is there a chance for it to turn up nothing? Or junk?

If you throw four exotics in, you usually just get another exotic out. It's a kind of promotion technique - if you through four rares in, you stand a chance to get an exotic, but it's low. Four exotics, chance at an exotic precursor (you're really just playing the loot table).

You probably shouldn't listen to me as I haven't beaten Liadri yet. Nevertheless I would say:
- Condition over direct damage. DoTs let you focus on kiting. Bomb kit maybe?
- You could try some combination of Leg Mod trait/Melandru runes/Lemongrass food to help your mobility

I'll try bombs again, but you have to be in melee range to use them, and if I do that the black phantoms group up around me and I'm dead in a millisecond. As for runes, I really don't want to spend money on gear and runes just to beat a single fight, so I'm trying to avoid doing that.

For a chance at a precursor, you have to throw in 4 level 80 rares or exotic weapons. You will always get a rare or exotic level 80 weapon back, which includes the sliver of a chance for a precursor.

Moondrop

Banned
I'll try bombs again, but you have to be in melee range to use them, and if I do that the black phantoms group up around me and I'm dead in a millisecond. As for runes, I really don't want to spend money on gear and runes just to beat a single fight, so I'm trying to avoid doing that.
Ok, but your refusal to spend money is a handicap. Last year even I bought a set of rare zerk gear (though she kicked my ass nevertheless). You could get 6 Antitoxin runes right now for ~ 1 gold; that would reduce condition duration by 24%.

As for the melee range issue, I see it as you running and dropping bombs while Liadri chases you, moving faster than her phantoms. But given what you've said about the phantoms and the lightning jumps previously, it sounds like you're having latency issues. :(

EDIT: I shouldn't handicap myself to melee range. :p I may go rifle or longbow. Whatever it takes.

Complistic

When did WvW reset? Last night?

EotM is a mess atm, no commander tag and we've lost most areas.

There are usually several copies of EoTM. The one you happened to be in may have been a more newly created one. The team that gets behind at first, typically gives up for the remaining 3 hours.

I officially give up on the Liadri fight. The unreliable nature of picking stuff up off the floor (locks you into place, or it doesn't pick anything up at all), combined with the Visions of Mortality not being where their models are, is making the fight less about skill and more about how well you can cheese it by spending money or using a cheat class like Thief or Necro. I disagree with spending money just for one fight, because it goes against what I feel the game is about. Might as well just buy full zerk and speedclear dungeons with stacking and skipping then.

That you can do every single fight up to Liadri, some even with Gambits, without needing to buy specialized gear, just by swapping traits and skills to match the fight, shows how Liadri is an outlier to the entire premise of the Gauntlet.

BraXzy

I just did the Metrica Province jumping puzzle. How hard is this compared to others? I found it pretty tricky but it just needed a bit of patience and practice. I'm slowly getting better at platforming in this game at least.

I just did the Metrica Province jumping puzzle. How hard is this compared to others? I found it pretty tricky but it just needed a bit of patience and practice. I'm slowly getting better at platforming in this game at least.

It's considered one of the hardest - so if you enjoyed it and didn't find it too tricky, you're going to love all the others.

Retro

Hardest JP is still the Mad King's Clock Tower.

Dark Reverie is nasty if you don't know to jump to the mushroom stem instead of the top at one particularly tricky point. There's a couple in Orr that are tedious (the one where you need to find like 10 orbs to unlock the chest is a pain). Gryphonrun is horrible if you're doing the bomb mechanic, but otherwise okay. I can't pick a favorite since there are so many that rock. The Hidden Garden one in Maelstrom is a hell of a looker, Obsidian Sanctum has a ton of variety and the constant tension. I think Loreclaw Expanse sticks in my memory the most just because it was the first one I did in the BWEs. People were running around exploring everything and then somebody in guild chat said they found a Jumping Puzzle and off we all went. Good times.

It's funny that something so simple ("Jumping around on stuff to get to a chest!") is such a solid addition to the game. It's also interesting that it's being copied shamelessly by Wildstar, but the way their paths work, you have to choose between Jumping Puzzles and two other really cool things. GW2 doesn't restrict you from experiencing anything on your terms, which is just the better route overall.

Anyone have good strategies to beat the gauntlets with the gambits on (those that yield achievements).

Also I can't do the subject 7 one without killing oozes.

Teggy

I dunno about that. I knew GW2 had JPs long before WildStar started talking about their Paths system.

I'd guess have to do some research on it, but to say they "shamelessly" copied a feature while both games were still in beta seems like a pretty big assumption.

BraXzy

It's considered one of the hardest - so if you enjoyed it and didn't find it too tricky, you're going to love all the others.

If someone hadn't told me you had to pick up an attunement before going through each gate I'd have been stumped. I enjoy jumping puzzles, I think I've done 5 so far. There's just nothing worse than getting through a really tough part and then falling to start over.

Seil

If someone hadn't told me you had to pick up an attunement before going through each gate I'd have been stumped. I enjoy jumping puzzles, I think I've done 5 so far. There's just nothing worse than getting through a really tough part and then falling to start over.

Heh. Beware of Not So Secret. It's hands down the most frustrating for me. Others may technically be longer or trickier, but Not So Secret is the one I dislike the most. Obsidian Sanctum would probably suck if you ran into enemies, too, but it was all clear when I did it.

BraXzy

Heh. Beware of Not So Secret. It's hands down the most frustrating for me. Others may technically be longer or trickier, but Not So Secret is the one I dislike the most. Obsidian Sanctum would probably suck if you ran into enemies, too, but it was all clear when I did it.

I noticed the achievement for that so I was going to attempt it yesterday but I couldn't work it out. It's apparantly better when you do it with others too. I would have kept going but a few red names popped up and I hightailed it outta there :L

Teggy

There are probably people who are really good at it, but Coddler's Cove is the one I will never go back to. Just about tore my hair out getting that one done. Of course, there are some others I have not even tried yet.

I really liked Obsidian Sanctum and would definitely recommend it to people. There's some really clever stuff in it, and it is built in several segments, so a fall in one place doesn't mean you have to do the whole thing over. However, I was lucky enough to do it when there were no opposing faction around.

Thorgal

Black Lion Chest Keys and Precursors are the rarest.

Those only drop from the BLTC chests which you need a key for.

Do they have a chance to drop as regular loot?

Yeah, it's just crazy rare. Seen it a couple times via reddit screenshot.

Thanks guys

I kinda thought there would be a weapon or armor in the game that would have some extremely and ridiculous low chance to drop (0.001 %) but i guess not .

BTW why are the top valued items in the trading post so ridiculously expensive ?

Like the Eternity great sword which costs 5000 gold .

I could understand it of those items only one existed in the game but they are not .

So what gives ?

Thorgal

They take a really, really, really long time to get.

I can understand that , but then one has to wonder what would be quicker :
Grinding to get 5000 gold together or grinding for the ingredients ?

(For the record , i have no idea how rare those ingredients are )

Seil

I can understand that , but then one has to wonder what would be quicker :
Grinding to get 5000 gold together or grinding for the ingredients ?

(For the record , i have no idea how rare those ingredients are )

Well, Eternity specifically is a Legendary made by combining TWO Legendaries. Eternity is made from Twilight and Sunrise.

Each of those require a Precursor, which is an obscenely rare exotic. Options for obtaining one are either be extremely lucky via drops or a lucky forge attempt, be moderately lucky while throwing in bought items to the forge, or afford it straight off the TP.

They also require various combined "Gifts" which are obtained in various ways depending on the gift. But they're all expensive in the end, too, requiring things like large numbers of T6 crafting mats, 250 obsidian shards, WORLD COMPLETION...

There's a lot of luck and effort involved in making one entirely on one's own. There's definitely an added convenience cost when buying them directly, but... Some people are good at making money =p

Mxrz

Anyone take over on FA BL? Dug in deep on the SW tower and poked their bay full of holes for the last few hours.

Well, it collapsed after I afk'd. Still we made about 5k points today and caught up to FA. We nearly had their bay at one point, but most of my zerg wp'd back to SBI just as we were about to hit inner. Still, anything that keeps FA from PPTing else where. Weee fun.

Zero skill. I just got lucky.

xGHHFwV.jpg

Never again.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I noticed the achievement for that so I was going to attempt it yesterday but I couldn't work it out. It's apparantly better when you do it with others too. I would have kept going but a few red names popped up and I hightailed it outta there :L
I'll take you some times.
Zero skill. I just got lucky.

xGHHFwV.jpg

Never again.
Good job, I disagree ;)

Will begin gather in the pavilion in a few minutes.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
First one was not quiiite organized, only had 2 tags. Second one was great and I learned a lot personally. 3rd try was pretty much perfect and just doing the same thing, same strategies, a little more efficiently would've been gold-worthy. I loved the change in tone of map chat from my first arrival in the Pavilion to when we were leaving :) Had a lot of fun and I will absolutely be leading those again sometime soon. Thanks to everyone to took part and extra thanks to Callunah and Brynn for buying tags just in time to help out!

BraXzy

Awesome guild missions guys, we did pretty well on the Blitz during the time I was there!

I hit my first level 80 during one of the missions too, woop woop!

Retro

Great job on Missions too. Very successful Supplies challenge, then we stayed in Iron Marches to hunt down Prisoner 1141 which went nicely. Finished the night with a quick Proxemics puzzle and Bear Rush. No lottery tonight since Hawkian had to leave early.

Makeups are tomorrow at 3pm EST, if you got your comms tonight but can be around at that time, volunteers are always crazy helpful in getting folks who are in different parts of the world or couldn't make it tonight.

Watch this space for more info on upcoming Blitzes.

Down to just two more achievements for the meta, and something like 40 points till 5000 AP unlock. Should hit both pretty quickly.

Guild events were fun tonight, shame I was a bit late.

BraXzy

Great job on Missions too. Very successful Supplies challenge, then we stayed in Iron Marches to hunt down Prisoner 1141 which went nicely. Finished the night with a quick Proxemics puzzle and Bear Rush. No lottery tonight since Hawkian had to leave early.

Makeups are tomorrow at 3pm EST, if you got your comms tonight but can be around at that time, volunteers are always crazy helpful in getting folks who are in different parts of the world or couldn't make it tonight.

Watch this space for more info on upcoming Blitzes.

If I'm on I'll definitely help out. And thanks for helping me through Obsidian Sanctum, that was a really fun jumping puzzle. Celebratory screenshot:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom