• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT4| The only subscription you need is this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
yEXljc9.png

Which means, the NCsoft datacenter, which includes GW2.

Retro

What are all these random "hackers" getting from targetting NCSoft? Is the fact they targetted it at GW2 reset just cooincidental?

Supposedly it was aimed at Wildstar. Jokes on them, there's nobody there to disconnect.
montypython12mokjz.gif

I kid, I kid.

Mxrz

Glad I switched off chrome with all these gifs.

Really do hope they add some sort of tag filter/toggle for PvE. Having 47 tags on a map is really annoying, and pretty much everyone is buying them right now.

leng jai

Probably won't get a tag, can't see any other scenario I'd use it for besides trolling. In fairness, that's a solid reason in itself.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
least I made the right call by postponing the aether run. Stay tuned for the rescheduling on that one.

fucking lzards ><

Mxrz

I am ragefist.

Having to join a squad seems like a lot of trouble. I'm still going to hope for a filter. Couldn't even see the Queen for tags for example. Blergh.

BraXzy

Yay! LTTP Teq gave me a shiny water breathing mask so I can be like all the cool kids. Why is rare the best you can get for these things anyway?

spiritfox

Yay! LTTP Teq gave me a shiny water breathing mask so I can be like all the cool kids. Why is rare the best you can get for these things anyway?

Cause Anet sucks.

Water breathers should not take up the helm slot. It ruins rune sets and makes people sad.

Entirely for the sake of discussion - I don't care to defend underwater combat in GW2:

To be fair, I don't think an MMO exists where one can claim any single system was thought through all the way. It's easy to play armchair game developer when you don't have to actually do any work other than think. I'm surprised ArenaNet actually went as far as they did with regards to underwater combat. It's not as bad an implementation as say, WoW did - and most MMOs just avoid deep water entirely so they don't have to deal with extra skills, animations, etc.

I think underwater combat is salvageable, but I'm not sure if the engine or how they compact and process server/client data with regards to movement could be easily adjusted for what I think would need to be done, which is to give swimming pure flight controls and allow for total z-movement freedom, including upside-down and barrel-rolling. Basically, it needs to move like Wing Commander, underwater.

leng jai

A lot of the underwater areas are quite elaborate and it's clear that they spent a significant amount of time and effort on them. It just makes it even more baffling why they didn't really bother to implement the combat properly. Movement aside, that fact that you don't have separate build templates for ground and water combat is utter nonsense. Why is an underwater breather even a thing and why is it capped at rare? At the end of the day it just comes across as a gigantic waste of time. Ignoring it entirely would have been more beneficial than this.

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
The only redeeming factor about underwater combat in my mind is that Grenades turn into targeted skills instead of skill-shots.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom