• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT4| The only subscription you need is this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BraXzy

I appreciate the fact underwater is a thing at all in the game, I quite like the odd swim here and there. And like Leng said, some of the locations below sea level are really really nice looking. I'd rather take deep underwater with so-so combat instead of death zones and or invisible walls near anything deeper than a puddle.

The way I look at underwater in GW2 is; it's a nice change from running everywhere, there's usually something interesting to see lurking down there and combat is a nice side activity to your little swim.

Also, one of the coolest looking Legendaries is an underwater weapon. But I'm not sure if that's a positive or not :L

spiritfox

The main problem I have with underwater combat is the equipment. Other than my issue of water breathers (which should be removed entirely), the fact that we're limited to the 3 underwater weapons hurt combat. There is almost no choice in how we can do combat per class underwater, and having to suddenly change combat styles just because you go into the water sucks. There are other problems like distance perception and movement, but they're minor compared to the underwater equipment situation.

Jira

In all honesty I LOATHE water in games, but GW2 is the first game I've played where it didn't make me want to break something when I had to go into the water.

Aquila

We need to start a betting pool on how many commander tags we're going to have at guild missions this Saturday.
I appreciate the fact underwater is a thing at all in the game, I quite like the odd swim here and there. And like Leng said, some of the locations below sea level are really really nice looking. I'd rather take deep underwater with so-so combat instead of death zones and or invisible walls near anything deeper than a puddle.

The way I look at underwater in GW2 is; it's a nice change from running everywhere, there's usually something interesting to see lurking down there and combat is a nice side activity to your little swim.

Also, one of the coolest looking Legendaries is an underwater weapon. But I'm not sure if that's a positive or not :L
^^ All this here, I like it. Underwater combat balance sucks (love my grenadier) but it is so much better than the alternative. The exploration is worth all the fuss and being able to jump and dive is amazing.

I like exploring underwater areas. Finding hidden caves that lead you to hidden jumping puzzle or are just a short cut across whole map.

The underwater combat is not bad it's just difficult. An example is Straits of Devestation, on land I can take on multiple Orrians at once, even if they are veterans because of positioning and knowing where I'm dodging. In water if I take on more than 2 Orrians I'm probably gonna die because the dodges seem to not work as well and a lot of times you end up a agroing more mobs then you intended. Using the combos and fields are very difficult in underwater combat.

I still am glad they have underwater combat/exploration because they added so much more to see and explore.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
That's why there's legendary weapons, and there's legendary aquatic weapons.

Also thanks to peer pressure from gaf I bought a commander tag. Happy now?

Retro

Methinks "Prepare to Fight" = Build Templates.

Underwater Combat

Off the top of my head...

No More Aquabreathers.
The game works just fine without it having to be an item with a specific slot, it can just be one of those 'gamey' things that you start the game with and don't have to worry about. Alternatively, Aquabreathers could remain an item but wouldn't overwrite the helm slot. Different aquabreathers could give passive effects when underwater, to help make underwater combat a little more palatable. For example, there could be Aquabreathers that gives increased swim speed, increased endurance regen, create a protective bubble around you when downed, etc.

Surface
When you reach the surface, you lose all of your skills and abilities. This is especially annoying when you're trying to rally. Treading water shouldn't completely negate your underwater abilities, they should just only have an effect under the surface (i.e. if you go to use a ground targeted skill on the surface, the area of effect uses the surface as the 'top' and it is projected downwards).

Area of Effect Indicators
They should be cylindrical and 'soft snap' onto enemies (i.e. if there's an enemy below you, it would be difficult to move the AoE down because trying to aim it that way only brings it closer to you). When you place the targeting reticule over an enemy, the AoE would simply 'stick' to them unless you moved it away.

Underwater Skills
Basically, a while pass would need to be done where every profession has at least one elite skill that functions underwater. The ideal method would be to give every race an underwater skill so that players have at least one by default (unlock it for free for best effect). There should also be an "underwater build" tab so that you can adjust your underwater utilities at any time.

Increased Awareness
If possible while underwater, the field of view should be pulled back a bit to give you more room to see around your player (similar to how bosses work). Too often you're maneuvering in three dimensions and bump into things. Additionally, underwater ranged attacks need to leave longer-lasting 'vapor trails' underwater so that the direction you're being attacked from becomes more immediately obvious.

Probably a dozen little things that could help too, but those are the only ones have at 8am.

wsippel

Banned
Can anybody explain to me why NCSoft and Arenanet are so ridiculously incompetent when it comes to account management?

I just tried to recover my old GW1 account to link it to my GW2 account. As I did this, I learned that they can't share the same email adress, the GW2 account settings are rudimentary at best, and GW1 has effectively no account management at all. Change email adresses or security questions? Nope, not possible. Recover serial numbers? Not possible either. On top of that, there's an actual NCSoft account which offers all this but isn't really used for anything as far as I can tell. You can link the GW1 account but not the GW2 account, except I can't link the GW1 account either because, as mentioned, there's no way to recover the serial number, which is apparently needed to link them. Linking the GW1 and GW2 account might or might not have worked, as it's not mentioned anywhere in the GW2 account management. It is shown on the GW1 account management page, but with the wrong account credentials. It's a fucking mess. Can't wait for BnS to finally get localized (if it actually does get localized), then I'll probably have four different NCSoft accounts in different places...

Levyne

Banned
Hmm. Dunno. I just linked GW2 to Guild Wars 1 and never really had to think about it again. Only wish you could change the account name, I suppose.

Moondrop

Banned
Clearly underwater combat wasn't fully developed. But the only real problem to me is interclass skill balance. It got to the point where my warrior had to avoid the Capricorn (RIP) mid point entirely. Monster Hunter Tri gets by just fine with this type of Z-axis controls. Ok, the no skills at surface needs fixing too.

I feel the players share a large portion of the blame here. They complained early and often, and I suspect turned Anet off from polishing underwater combat post-release.

In an alternate universe GW2 has a few completely underwater dungeons and PvP maps. ;)

wsippel

Banned
Hmm. Dunno. I just linked GW2 to Guild Wars 1 and never really had to think about it again. Only wish you could change the account name, I suppose.
After recovering the account, my account name became a random alphanumeric 32 digit string for some reason. Which, as you just mentioned, can't be changed as far as I can tell.

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls
The only redeeming factor about underwater combat in my mind is that Grenades turn into targeted skills instead of skill-shots.

Just made me want the class to have auto-target grenades instead of being a clickfest.

I think Engineer is the most fun and versatile of all the classes, truly able to switch the role of being damage dealer / support / healer / tank / battlefield manipulator with ease. But I really hated having to click non-stop to do damage with grenades. Turned me off from the class when my fingers would swell.

I think underwater combat should be revamped and reintroduced in a space station dungeon with anti-gravity-chamber-boss-fights.

Posttransfer Lockouts

It’s important to maintain a sense of loyalty during a WvW tournament, but we also want players to have the freedom to move around. In the past, we balanced these goals by implementing a lockout period after transfers, which lasted for the current and subsequent matchups. The purpose of this feature was to encourage players to give transferring careful consideration by imposing some risk to the reward. Because the World vs. World Fall Tournament 2014 will only last four weeks, we will not be enforcing these lockout periods.

Oooh they're evil. Was hoping for a server transfer sale so my gf can get on SBI. Instead they're not enforcing a lockout period thus having people jump ship onto the winning team. They plan on making bank.

Levyne

Banned
Clearly underwater combat wasn't fully developed. But the only real problem to me is interclass skill balance. It got to the point where my warrior had to avoid the Capricorn (RIP) mid point entirely. Monster Hunter Tri gets by just fine with this type of Z-axis controls. Ok, the no skills at surface needs fixing too.

I feel the players share a large portion of the blame here. They complained early and often, and I suspect turned Anet off from polishing underwater combat post-release.

In an alternate universe GW2 has a few completely underwater dungeons and PvP maps. ;)

A whole underwater zone between southsun and orr

leng jai

There's been peer pressure to buy a tag? All I see is people saying they're useless for 90% of people and they're just getting one for the sake of it.

BraXzy

There's been peer pressure to buy a tag? All I see is people saying they're useless for 90% of people and they're just getting one for the sake of it.

Maybe not pressure, but people who were on the fence are jumping to get one before the price hikes up. Especially now with the promise of every colour.

In other news, which character should I next give a go? Elementalist or Mesmer?

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls

The idea of it going up in price is driving everyone nuts. Myself included.

It's useless. I have no need for it. Never even thought of buying one.

BUT IT WILL COST 3X MORE SOON. WHAT IF I DECIDE I WANT ONE THEN?!

So much anxiety.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
New Tournament sounds prettay good, the weekly rewards are more my style. 4 total matchups means every single one is a big one, so I hope to have GAF out there in force!
Maybe not pressure, but people who were on the fence are jumping to get one before the price hikes up. Especially now with the promise of every colour.

In other news, which character should I next give a go? Elementalist or Mesmer?
they're really different. flip a coin XD

forrest

formerly nacire
Man I just clicked an xp booster to settle in for a good stretch of questing/killing. :(

I'm guessing by the whole DDOS issue recently that this doesnt happen too often?

I was looking into the Hero's longbow last night and saw it was a reward for WvW tourney this past spring. >_<

Then I log in earlier to see it's offered for the upcoming tourney as well! :D Gotta hit 80 before the tournament starts! Is it hard to get the tickets or should I expect to at least be able to achieve one weapon reward from the entire tourney?

Man I just clicked an xp booster to settle in for a good stretch of questing/killing. :(

I'm guessing by the whole DDOS issue recently that this doesnt happen too often?

At least in GW2, if you're not logged in, the xp booster doesn't count down. It only counts down while actually playing. Unlike *every other gorram MMO with boosters*, which is daaamn annoying.

Happens about once a month or less. Hopefully this doesn't start a trend - once groups see they can so easily take a game down, they tend to all flock to do it (like Runescape, etc).

BraXzy

Happens about once a month or less. Hopefully this doesn't start a trend - once groups see they can so easily take a game down, they tend to all flock to do it (like Runescape, etc).

It sure seems like that's the case. At least for a couple of groups, they want to feel like their silly little "hacking" groups can achieve something so they go after targets that are easy. I hope NCSoft can figure something out to improve stability but I don't know the first thing about DDoS attacks outside of the fact it's just a mass attack all at once.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
yeah it's them (same asshats) again. NCsoft datacenter servers, not just gw2 (http://wsstatus.com/). fuck.

Unfortunately DDoS attacks can't really be countered by improvements to infrastructure stability. Especialy if the DoS is utilizing a number of different techniques simultaneously.

Yeah. ddos uses the very nature of how the internet works - how we need it to work - to mess with servers.

You can model it like a flashmob deciding to all descernd into a 7-11 at the same time. So many people coming through the door, that legit customers can't get in. You can post a security guard outside to only allow one person in at a time (like some banks do with single-person door chambers). But that affects legitimate customers too, so you end up with queues during primetime (part of why Battle.Net / WoW has login queues) - but as you may know, that doesn't stop WoW from being DDossed. If you can't flashmob the entrance, you can flashmob the parking lot, or the road leading to the store, or the highway leading to the road that leads to the store... etc.

It would take a complete reworking of all internet protocols, software, and basic infrastructure to try and prevent stuff like this.

But even then, you're not guaranteed to stop people abusing a system.

Seems they've moved on to Runscape for now.

BRA0aQ0.png

This highlights the immaturity of the individual(s) involved. Due to the nature of DDoS attacks, it really doesn't matter if a multi-million dollar company spends millions on DDoS prevention (and I guarantee you, the datacenters *are* spending millions on services like Norse). It's the fundamental structure of how the internet works that allows for this kind of thing, you're basically playing whack-a-mole, and there's no real way to win other than "shut it down". That the people doing the attacks don't understand this, really shows how little they comprehend their actions.

This is the sad reailty of the internet as it is now: it's still the *same* infrastructure that was set up in the 80s, just with more sophisticated hardware and newer protocols layered atop the old ones, but it's still just a patch job atop a patch job, decades worth, but the basic flaws inherent in the system remain.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom