• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT4| The only subscription you need is this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Retro

Reminders for the new page:
Zed Zebes said:
Next Wednesday the 27th of August, I will be hosting a fun little WvWvW event called the Traveling Zoo.

This is your chance to roll out your Ranger and pop your mini-pets as this will be an All Ranger party*. Any build is fine and I'd like to get a variety of pets just to see how ridiculous we can look.

We'll meet up in SBI Borderlands Citadel Waypoint around 7:30pm Server Time. That's 7:30pm PST (10:30pm EST). We'll start out in the Boderlands and maybe map hop depending on the situation of the match.

If you would like to come then just bring your ass to the event. No sign ups needed.

*I do welcome some guardians for stability and mesmers for veil/timewarp just to make this crazy idea work a little better.

Speaking of which, we've passed the 480 mark again. It's a cull or be culled world.

I don't know what our cutoff is yet in terms of timeframe, but I would like to clear 100 spots if feasible this time. So:

If you have not been active but do not wish to be kicked, log in once before Tuesday, August 26th.

As always, if you are culled this has nothing to do with you personally and you need only ask for a reinvite. "Noticing that you have been kicked" is about the level of activity we demand from our members.

Again, the culling is coming, six days from today.

So it is written.

3000 gems for convenience. No thanks.

Well, all three of today's permanent tools are scythes, so you'd really only need to buy one since they're account bound.

Edit: Herp a derp, of course it'd be 3000 gems if you wanted permanent tools of all three types. I realized this like 20 minutes after I left to run errands.

BraXzy

Which permanent tools are in the store? Lightning axe?!

Ash I'm loving the GIFs, I'll happily test your game when its in a ready state for the low fee of $60/h + tax.

Korten

Banned
Le sigh, according to another interview, Anet has no plans for any new dungeons because it a lot of work... :(

Will link interview when I'm not on my phone...

Retro

Which permanent tools are in the store? Lightning axe?!

Ash I'm loving the GIFs, I'll happily test your game when its in a ready state for the low fee of $60/h + tax.

Consortium Havesting Sickle, Jack-in-the-Box Scythe, Thresger-Sickle 5000. I imagine if they're doing scythes today, we'll see the logging axes and mining picks later in the week.

I guess it's not really a surprise. I suspected they haven't had a dungeon team for some time. I mean how could they? They've added one new dungeon path since launch, and fractals haven't been updated in god knows how long.

hythloday

Le sigh, according to another interview, Anet has no plans for any new dungeons because it a lot of work... :(

I listened to the interview as well, and I didn't get the dire "never ever" vibe that some people are getting.

All I got out of it was that they're focusing on changes to the overall game world first, so it's not something they're actively focusing on, and fractals are easier to work with so they'd probably develop for those first rather than new dungeon paths. Also that they can only do so many things at once.

That's not any new information at all, because ArenaNet as a rule does not talk about things that are not almost ready to be released. (If they say they're working on something and it gets changed or delayed, then they broke a promise, cue the rage, yadda yadda yadda.)

Retro

This one?

It's basically a lot of "Redditors with questions!" type crap some guy did on his blog, lots of stuff they can't answer because it's in development or not their part of the game, etc. Interviewer can't even be buggered to ask their names, but it's Matt Wuerffel and Devin Carver again, so when they ask "WHERE ARE MY DRAGONS DUNGEONS!", keep in mind it's the "WvW guy" and the "End Game Systems guy", so neither of them may be involved with dungeons much.

In other words;
salt_pilemfop5.jpg

I guess it's not really a surprise. I suspected they haven't had a dungeon team for some time. I mean how could they? They've added one new dungeon path since launch, and fractals haven't been updated in god knows how long.

They've said in the past that there isn't a dungeon team, but instead the Content Development teams decide what they want to do and go from there, and that people aren't really stuck in one group if they don't want to be. Sometimes it's a dungeon (as it was for the Molten Facility and Aetherblade Retreat), sometimes it's something like the TA Aetherpath, sometimes it's a big chunk of content like Fractals.

I get the general feeling that ArenaNet doesn't really say "YOU GUYS HAVE TO DO THIS," it's more along the lines of "Alright, this is what we need to get done, how do we want to approach it?" It just seems like the answer hasn't been "A dungeon would work for that" in a while.

BraXzy

That's a shame.. I mean you never know they might secretly be doing it. Since theres only a handful of people working on Living Story which is pretty much the only new content outside of the odd bit and bob, and of course people who work on the game economy and store.. what are the rest of Anet working on? Aren't they a fairly big team? I assume it's Guild Wars 3 or a brand new game or something?

Consortium Havesting Sickle, Jack-in-the-Box Scythe, Thresger-Sickle 5000. I imagine if they're doing scythes today, we'll see the logging axes and mining picks later in the week.

Ahh I see. Is one of those the one that does the water effect? I might grab it hehe. And yeah I assume they will all be listed at some point. I want me the lightning axe!

Retro

That's a shame.. I mean you never know they might secretly be doing it. Since theres only a handful of people working on Living Story which is pretty much the only new content outside of the odd bit and bob, and of course people who work on the game economy and store.. what are the rest of Anet working on? Aren't they a fairly big team? I assume it's Guild Wars 3 or a brand new game or something?

They don't reveal anything until it's basically done, so they could be working on anything up to and including an expansion and we wouldn't know about it. It's a good policy to have, as much as it seems like a detriment, because it allows them to avoid the "YOU PROMISED!!!!!111" whining when things get pushed back or scrapped (which is not unusual), and by not announcing things far in advance, they keep players focused on the present. For example, once Blizzard announces an expansion to WoW, everyone pretty much stops playing because everything will get better or change in the near future. Pre-release lulls like that kill guilds (at least two that I've been in) and drive players away temporarility and with GW2's finances tied to the gem store, that's not something they really want to do.

I believe someone once said ArenaNet is 250-300 people, and they're still hiring. I would imagine all of those other people are involved in technical things that don't necessarily generate content but are vital to the game's health (bug fixes, QoL improvements, features like the ones we'll be getting soon, etc.). Plus, there's probably a lot of people working on big things that aren't ready to even hint at yet. Edge of the Mists is a good example, and we kind of have an accurate timeline for it to boot:

October 18 - First Revealed.
October 25 - Applications for testing opened (deadline was the 28th).
November 19th - Testing beings (Usually a few hours, over the span of four days)
January 12th - Testing ends.
February 4th - Release.

So from the moment we knew about it to the moment it was released was basically 3 and a half months (110 days). This was also kind of an odd situation because it was openly tested; if it weren't, would it have just dropped in one day? How long was it in development?

I imagine there are lots of groups working on things like that who go completely unnoticed... right up until whatever they're working on hits.

Ahh I see. Is one of those the one that does the water effect? I might grab it hehe. And yeah I assume they will all be listed at some point. I want me the lightning axe!

The one with the vines / water geyser effect is the Consortium one.
Edit: Look everyone, my wife beats me. /sadface

Leif Chapelle did all the boss encounters in Aetherpath and I am sure if they want to introduce a dungeon as part of living story they will have people they can pull in to do dungeon content even if the "dungeon" team has dissolved.

Korten

Banned
This one?

It's basically a lot of "Redditors with questions!" type crap some guy did on his blog, lots of stuff they can't answer because it's in development or not their part of the game, etc. Interviewer can't even be buggered to ask their names, but it's Matt Wuerffel and Devin Carver again, so when they ask "WHERE ARE MY DRAGONS DUNGEONS!", keep in mind it's the "WvW guy" and the "End Game Systems guy", so neither of them may be involved with dungeons much.

In other words;
salt_pilemfop5.jpg

They've said in the past that there isn't a dungeon team, but instead the Content Development teams decide what they want to do and go from there, and that people aren't really stuck in one group if they don't want to be. Sometimes it's a dungeon (as it was for the Molten Facility and Aetherblade Retreat), sometimes it's something like the TA Aetherpath, sometimes it's a big chunk of content like Fractals.

I get the general feeling that ArenaNet doesn't really say "YOU GUYS HAVE TO DO THIS," it's more along the lines of "Alright, this is what we need to get done, how do we want to approach it?" It just seems like the answer hasn't been "A dungeon would work for that" in a while.

You do know you don't need to respond like an asshole right? Jesus.

Sorry, but as much as I like the guild, as more time goes on, I keep getting the feeling of "ArenaNet can do no wrong!" despite people saying that it's not the case.

Sorry, but as much as I like the guild, as more time goes on, I keep getting the feeling of "ArenaNet can do no wrong!" despite people saying that it's not the case.

Wtf!

You should relax.

Retro

All I said is that it's some random blogger asking a bunch of questions submitted by Reddit to two guys who aren't even involved the parts of the they're being asked about, so take the entire interview with a fuckton of salt.

Care to elaborate on how I'm an asshole?

BraXzy

They don't reveal anything until it's basically done, so they could be working on anything up to and including an expansion and we wouldn't know about it. It's a good policy to have, as much as it seems like a detriment, because it allows them to avoid the "YOU PROMISED!!!!!111" whining when things get pushed back or scrapped (which is not unusual), and by not announcing things far in advance, they keep players focused on the present. For example, once Blizzard announces an expansion to WoW, everyone pretty much stops playing because everything will get better or change in the near future. Pre-release lulls like that kill guilds (at least two that I've been in) and drive players away temporarility and with GW2's finances tied to the gem store, that's not something they really want to do.

The one with the vines / water geyser effect is the Consortium one.
Edit: Look everyone, my wife beats me. /sadface

That's a good point. It is easy to forget how long things can take to cook up and who might be doing what. I assume there are a lot of things hiding in the shadows waiting for the right time, I just wanna see em!

Do you always get beaten? :p

Ashodin

Whoa guys.

Korten, retro is just giving ArenaNet the benefit of the doubt here. It's not meant to be seen as personal in his response. They can do wrong, but they also like to satisfy the greatest groups that play the game instead of the minority. Don't forget dungeons have had LFG added to them this year, making it much easier to get a group.

Retro, Korten is very passionate about his love for the game in his own way, and that means dungeons are his personal favorite. You were deconstructing it as if it was internet outrage again, but Korten had a personal stake in it.

Q

Queen of Hunting

Unconfirmed Member
there enough space for me to come along dungeon tomorrow ?

I think the idea of a precursor scavenger hunt is really good, but I also believe - Why only extent it only to legendary precursors?

What if such a system could facilitate the hunt for a set of uniquely awesome rare armor sets and weapons. Perhaps class themed, or race themed? Maybe 5 Armor uniqe armor sets. If they took 1/10 of the time it takes to get a legendary it could be a really nice long term investment.

One that asks player to do all sorts of things, not just crafting and mat collection, but also bringing karma back, wvw honor tokens, Dungeon currency and more. Different armor/weapons should track people towards different thins.

And for god sakes, require lots of bloodstone;D

spiritfox

More stuff that makes use of ascended mats would be nice. They're useless outside of ascended crafting, and you only need to do that once (most of the time). Even just making them vendorable makes them more useful.

Levyne

Banned
Retro

When first skimming the post, I took the salt image not as "take with a grain of salt" but rather "delicious salty tears". I think that was the problem.

Anno

Hopefully they've learned and just won't do these useless interviews in the future.

Unless like 50% of the staff at ANet was fired, a lot of people have to be working on something of importance. If the anniversary comes and goes without some kind of guidance I can't imagine things will get any better.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
there enough space for me to come along dungeon tomorrow ?
You mean TA Aether? Hopefully we can get two groups together.

As a reminder, we are doing the Aetherpath 4:00PM Sunday eastern time or whenever mission makeups are finished if after that. This is not an "event" or race or race of any kind, just a relaxed run, all first-timers are welcome. Bring any aetherkeys you might have.

Korten

Banned
All I said is that it's some random blogger asking a bunch of questions submitted by Reddit to two guys who aren't even involved the parts of the they're being asked about, so take the entire interview with a fuckton of salt.

Care to elaborate on how I'm an asshole?

The problem is first of all the image, really unnesscary and came off as hostile, and that in the interview if they had said: "Yeah we can't say much about it now," at least we would have been more understanding but these guys gave clear information saying that they want to make smaller QoL changes, no big changes which is what dungeons REALLY need.

It's just... ugh, I don't know, it's just the way a lot of people in this thread seem to just insult any Anet cirticisim. I want to give Anet the benefit of the doubt but they have been giving me no reason to. This whole situation of keeping us in the dark, not telling us their future plans is just getting on my nerves.

I love GW2, I love the LS, but I'm getting sick of waiting 2 weeks for an update that unless I want to grind my ass off, is basically an hour, maybe an hour and a half long...

It's all of this that's making me so flustered. :(

The problem is first of all the image, really unnesscary and came off as hostile, and that in the interview if they had said: "Yeah we can't say much about it now," at least we would have been more understanding but these guys gave clear information saying that they want to make smaller QoL changes, no big changes which is what dungeons REALLY need.

It's just... ugh, I don't know, it's just the way a lot of people in this thread seem to just insult any Anet cirticisim. I want to give Anet the benefit of the doubt but they have been giving me no reason to. This whole situation of keeping us in the dark, not telling us their future plans is just getting on my nerves.

I love GW2, I love the LS, but I'm getting sick of waiting 2 weeks for an update that unless I want to grind my ass off, is basically an hour, maybe an hour and a half long...

It's all of this that's making me so flustered. :(

Korten my mate. It matters little anymore. You have the Katana. The only thing left is to meditate on the existential crisis that had to happen. Let's face it, you're never going to find a more elegant weapon to upgrade too.

It's time to do breathing exercises, become one wth your monthlies and equip your other characters. Make them all they can. Your body is frail and temporary, but your digital self is forever more. In this multiverse, and the next. And then one before, and the one that comes after the universes center has axed itself in it's four dimensional plain.

Then you will see it. It's not that it takes 2 weeks for you to grind. It's not that it take 1400 years for the earth to go completely around the sun, because what is time? Time doesn't exist. You simply can't think to yourself that 2 weeks go by and then you do stuff. Time doesn't exist like that.

Man, i'm gonna eat some ice cream before missionszzz!!!:3

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
it is possible the image was misinterpreted, but regardless it should be obvious that you don't tell fellow guild members they are assholes.

i have nothing whatsoever left in me for meta-commentary on "defending" arenanet or guild wars 2 or criticizing criticism or targeting illegitimate criticism or anything in that realm. it specifically stopped being interesting to me as of last november. plenty of people in this guild including myself and including Retro have problems with it.

there is little information of any note in these interviews. priorities frequently change based on the reception of new initiatives. it's absolutely not worth getting worked up over or frankly even paying attention to. Arenanet has literally always had similar problems with PR and customer communications.

good, universal advice for anyone is to play the game if you enjoy it and stop playing if you are sick of it. nothing tethers you to the experience of logging in to guild wars 2 and we don't even hesitate when people who have not done so for months ask to come back to the guild.

atr0cious

I loved the original Guild Wars, and played it from the early alpha days. So I got the GW2 Collector's edition day one, but I am just now starting to play it, and I'm completely lost. I was looking at the gamepad settings in the OP, but it seems like it's missing files. I can't seem to find the start.bat it keeps talking about.

Also, please invite me to any available guild, as Mohzhen Wrath.8312. I'm on the west coast, and don't play much, but will try to hop on more often.

hythloday

I loved the original Guild Wars, and played it from the early alpha days. So I got the GW2 Collector's edition day one, but I am just now starting to play it, and I'm completely lost. I was looking at the gamepad settings in the OP, but it seems like it's missing files. I can't seem to find the start.bat it keeps talking about.

Also, please invite me to any available guild, as Mohzhen Wrath.8312. I'm on the west coast, and don't play much, but will try to hop on more often.

Invited you! Welcome!

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
welcome! what server are you on? as long as it's na you can play with us no matter what for most things , but you may want to reroll on stormbluff Isle to be able to wvw with us.

I apologize for the instructions.txt file, it's outdated because Google essentially made us remove that bat file (which simplified everything) for no good reason :(

im happy to help you get it working though. Basically all the batch file did was open xpadder and open the guild wars 2 mouse script AHK file. let me know if that doesn't make sense and I'll walk you through it
I thought we hemmed and hawed when Adriaaa came back. Didn't it ultimately come down to a two-thirds majority vote on gchat?
he logged in to mock stuff just frequently enough that he was never culled :p

Katoki

A grain of salt and a metric shit ton and then some of salt are kind of two different things so that picture does speak a thousand words here.

Plus we have the same few folks that post so often that it creates this illusion that the guild is saying "ArenaNet can do no wrong!" when it's safe to say the majority of the guild doesn't frequent the OT much at all past "I need an add, my account is something.1234."

3000 gems for convenience. No thanks.

One of them IS pay to win. The consortium harvesting sickle lets you thwack plants once and run off whereas all the peasants are stuck doing the crouch animation before they finish grabbing stuff. This animation times the few plants you'll ever hit and you'll see the crazy amounts of time saving.

Remfin

I apologize for the instructions.txt file, it's outdated because Google essentially made us remove that bat file (which simplified everything) for no good reason :(

im happy to help you get it working though. Basically all the batch file did was open xpadder and open the guild wars 2 mouse script AHK file. let me know if that doesn't make sense and I'll walk you through it
Is there a reason you don't just host the thing on GitHub?

BraXzy

Retro

You misinterpreted the intent of the image, though in retrospect I probably could have picked an image that was a little more clear or just said "take this interview with a huge load of salt." That's my fault, I can't blame you for having that reaction.

As to the interview, they say they've "tossed around a lot of ideas for ways that we can improve the longevity of dungeons without doing major works like, the Twilight Arbor rework was a pretty serious amount of work." They also add "We’re always looking for kind of smaller changes that we can make, little tweaks that we can make to improve quality of life and that kind of thing in dungeons, so you may see some changes of that sort coming out in the near future as well." The mention of the Twilight Arbor change is important, because it makes it fairly clear that large changes to existing dungeons aren't worth the investment of resources; twice he refers to the "amount of work" involved being something they want to avoid. Reddit, of course, reads this as "It's too hard" or "They're too lazy", but what's the payoff for that work, regardless of how much or how little work the community thinks it is? How often is the Aetherpath run? How often do people complain that the rewards aren't sufficient enough for the time investment? Do people run it as often as COF1 and 2 or SE1?

Wouldn't it make sense then to improve the rewards (a small change) rather than revamp entire dungeons (a lot of work)? Didn't the small change to Ascalon Catacombs yield greater results, without having to rework the entire thing but instead make (quoting the interview here) "little tweaks that . . . improve quality of life and that kind of thing in dungeons?"

That's just the thing though; there's lots of criticism in this thread, and past GW2 threads, from just about everyone (myself included). But what there isn't (and this is important) is a lot of overreaction. I can't say why exactly, though I do know that a lot of us are MMO veterans and we're probably just used to the level of interaction that the community allows the developers to have (that's not a typo; the community dictates how much the developers are able to interact, and not the other way around). It's obvious that the developers love talking about their game, and it's quite obvious that they're very proud of the work they do. We know this is true because we have several of them in the guild and they frequently talk about how excited they are for us to see what they're working on. The problem is that every time they talk about something, the community analyzes it, commits it to memory, and treats it as a sacred promise. When those parts of the game don't work out exactly as described (often in vague terms to begin with) or aren't added in when expected, the community accuses them of lying, breaking their promises, being lazy, etc. So you're upset that they're "keeping us in the dark," and I get that desire to get information, but remember that any time they reach their hand out, the community bites down hard. After two years of it, can you blame them for not wanting to reach out anymore? (On that note, you say they're "keeping us in the dark", but last week there were five articles about upcoming changes, and the next two weeks will include even more. A steady trickle, maybe, but there is information coming.)

The community is especially ugly lately because they've been jumping to conclusions based on some on-the-spot interviews with two guys who basically try to nicely say "We can't give you any details" a hundred different ways. The question was: "When will we get more dungeons, fractals, any kind of dungeon-related changes?" but people assume their response means there won't be any changes to dungeons, or any new dungeons, or anything dungeon-related ever again, "confirmed" by the devs. I think maybe you want to get mad about it, because the rest of the community seems to want to get mad about it, but this thread is just too level-headed to react to what amounts to non-answers to bad questions. Been there, done that, Jimmies intact and unrustled.

On this note, are the instructions in the OT still correct Hawk, or have they changed? I seem to remember updating them not that long ago.

We'll probably never know, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was the community's behavior that made her want to leave. Twitch chat was especially... um... yeah.

Anno

The community is especially ugly lately because they've been jumping to conclusions based on some on-the-spot interviews with two guys who basically try to nicely say "We can't give you any details" a hundred different ways. The question was: "When will we get more dungeons, fractals, any kind of dungeon-related changes?" but people assume their response means there won't be any changes to dungeons, or any new dungeons, or anything dungeon-related ever again, "confirmed" by the devs. I think maybe you want to get mad about it, because the rest of the community seems to want to get mad about it, but this thread is just too level-headed to react to what amounts to non-answers to bad questions. Been there, done that, Jimmies intact and unrustled.

This is the part that frustrates me. I'm frustrated at the community for going full tinfoil hat over a few interviews, and I'm frustrated at ANet for doing the interviews in the first place when they had to be 150% positive this exact thing would happen. Hopefully the feature pack reveals for next week will quell some of the tensions. The ones this week were hampered by being either already revealed previously or almost inconsequential, aside from the standardized PvP models.

Nowhere did ArenaNet say they will never make another dungeon, or alter existing ones.

The community overreacted like crazy.

If ArenaNet just outright stopped talking to interviewers and the community entirely, it'd probably be better for them, and for us.

Q

Queen of Hunting

Unconfirmed Member
the community seems really toxic honestly, coming from marvel heroes, the community here is alot more volatile and will react to anything

Moondrop

Banned
Being kept in the dark isn't inherently upsetting. I think people are upset because they suspect the game is moving away from the game they wish it to be.

Sure, public criticism may be able to get them to change the price of colored commander tags. But people seem to think they can complain new classes, weapons, and dungeons into existence.

RE: Marvel Heroes, they receive a ton of praise for their constant communication and teases. But they've yet to meet a single deadline and the game goes down all the time. I dunno why it seems more pleasant- maybe communication is a palliative.

the community seems really toxic honestly, coming from marvel heroes, the community here is alot more volatile and will react to anything

It comes and goes. The Marvel Heroes community is no saint either, Social chat can get really racist, toxic and insulting, and the forums can become a massive rageball if a hero's 52 review doesn't align with what some of the vocal members wanted.

It's sad, but toxic culture is a part of any online game, but GW2's subreddit community hasn't gotten that bad at least. It's just going through a bit of growing pains. It's been two years, and now will be the time a lot of people are getting bored, and starting to examine why they're playing the game. Or, they're unhappy, aren't sure why, and just blame the game even though it's likely them who just aren't interested anymore. Sure, ArenaNet could be doing more to keep people's interest, but if the Living World ain't doing it for yah, well, so it goes.

I'm actually getting just... tired, of having to even read people's complaints about the game *no matter how valid they may be*. I'm not saying people don't have legitimate things to critique or worry about, and I have my own set of things I hope they work on, like revamped crafting interface, etc... but it's just getting tiring having to wade through so much strife and grief. And when people want to tell others how much they like the game, and appreciate it, they're told they're just being white knights or contributing to the "anet can do no wrong" echochamber. It's okay to scream and shout and throw tantrums, but it's not okay to just like and enjoy a thing and say so publically. That's the impression that's being created, anyway.

So for myself as well, two years in, I need to re-evaluate how I interact with the game and its community. I certainly don't want to become known as the person always bitching about those redditors. Hell, I only got into the GW2 subreddit to share my in-game photography... and I avoided the GAF thread for the longest time because I usually don't play well with others - but I'm really glad I joined the GAF guild in the end, it's improved my experience tremendously.

And that's the thing. I just want to enjoy the game, warts and all. I don't want to spend hours writing out criticism, or rebuttals to criticisms. I don't want to listen to people's essay-length dissertations about the economy, precursors, drop rates, dungeons, WvW... I'm just so done with all that. I appreciate people that take the time to really lay down and examine the issues the game faces, and I hope they get noticed by ArenaNet staff who can make a difference if convinced, and all that. But that's not a part of the game I want to engage in anymore. I'm not interested in the politics. I don't care if the hardcore dungeoneers feel neglected. I mean, I do care, of course I do, but I also just don't anymore, y'know? My own enjoyment of the game doesn't have to be reliant on others being happy. And I'm tired of people who are unhappy with the game, trying to make me unhappy with it, by trying to convince me of how bad ArenaNet actually is, how they fail, why their failures proves the game overall is failure, etc, etc.

I just don't see the point anymore, of all that. The game's either going to get better, or worse, for an individual playing it. If it gets worse, they stop playing. If it gets better, they enjoy it more.

I enjoy it. Warts and all. Failings and all. And I want to continue enjoying it, even if others are unhappy with it. So it's time for me to be more selfish, I think, and just plain stop looking at, thinking about, and talking about the community, except the positive parts of it that really contribute with things like art, programs, guides and such.

BraXzy

The games community isn't all that bad. Let me know when GW2 fans start spamming a car manufacturer to give them a special event and then we'll talk haha.

Retro

This is the part that frustrates me. I'm frustrated at the community for going full tinfoil hat over a few interviews, and I'm frustrated at ANet for doing the interviews in the first place when they had to be 150% positive this exact thing would happen. Hopefully the feature pack reveals for next week will quell some of the tensions. The ones this week were hampered by being either already revealed previously or almost inconsequential, aside from the standardized PvP models.

I think they sent a WvW guy because they expected WvW questions, considering this was the week in which they were revealing the WvW parts of the Feature Pack. Reaction to the Dorito prices (which I actually agreed with and am glad they changed) notwithstanding, the interviews that have everyone worked up seem kind of... unprofessional? I think they probably expected a couple reputable sites to interview them about WvW and instead a bunch of random Redditors showed up with loaded questions (this latest interview especially, and it's even titled "Guildwars 2 Reddit interview").

All this means is that ArenaNet will be less likely make appearances at conventions in the future. Of course then...

If ArenaNet just outright stopped talking to interviewers and the community entirely, it'd probably be better for them, and for us.

... the problem is that ArenaNet isn't being transparent / interacting with the community / etc. It's lose/lose for them, and a tremendous loss for us.

For example, the much-praised Collaborate Development Initiative that they were pushing for was a way in which the community and developers could share their ideas and talk philosophy. It was certainly popular (the threads moved almost too quickly to follow) and it seemed like it was working, but then this morning you have Chris Whiteside saying "I am starting to feel like doing another CDI just isn’t worth the frustration, huge amount of time and heartache." That's incredibly disappointing, and it's all happening because a segment of the community has spent the better part of the week screaming / threatening / whining and in one "it would be funny if it wasn't so sad" example, "occupying" Rata Sum... because they aren't getting what they want from a videogame fast enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom