• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT4| The only subscription you need is this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BraXzy

I just started out on my elementalist properly. Since I nuked my original one (was only level 2) I had to start over and I've got to say, I quite like the Asura's initial little story line.

I wondered why I couldn't see weapon swap when looking at weapons I could use and asked about it in guild chat. Everyone obviously said there wasn't one which confused me at first but as I unlock more skills through combat, I kinda realise why you wouldn't want that. I only have 2 elements unlocked and I'm already getting a little confused with all the abilities haha.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Downloaded the zip, extracted. Anything I need to look for?
you guys using chrome?
I just started out on my elementalist properly. Since I nuked my original one (was only level 2) I had to start over and I've got to say, I quite like the Asura's initial little story line.

I wondered why I couldn't see weapon swap when looking at weapons I could use and asked about it in guild chat. Everyone obviously said there wasn't one which confused me at first but as I unlock more skills through combat, I kinda realise why you wouldn't want that. I only have 2 elements unlocked and I'm already getting a little confused with all the abilities haha.
you can summon weapons and replace the skill bar too. eles can have a ton more skills on them at one time than most classes.

spiritfox

When you get the conjured weapons with their own skills, you can get to 40 different weapon skills on one Ele.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Retro, try this link, and if it is works for you to DL too please replace the instructions part with just "Download this file"

Might have to disable the crosshair.

BraXzy

When you get the conjured weapons with their own skills, you can get to 40 different weapon skills on one Ele.

Oh boy this is gonna be challenging to learn isn't it. It's gonna take me awhile just to get used to using the F keys since I never use the damn things :L

Oh boy this is gonna be challenging to learn isn't it. It's gonna take me awhile just to get used to using the F keys since I never use the damn things :L
And then you have to remember that the combo system is a big part of the class. Especially water/fire fields and blast finishers. It actually makes things easier, in my experience. It give you a good idea of what skills you want to use when and in what sequence.

I recommend dagger/dagger for leveling. It'll get you used to close combat with ele and able to dodge around a lot. Staff is solid, though. Solid aoe capabilities.

Thank you Zeroth for recommending I watch Log Horizon. Been binge watching this and it's freaking terrific

huMnMwd.gif

Remfin

Retro, try this link, and if it is works for you to DL too please replace the instructions part with just "Download this file"

Might have to disable the crosshair.
Two suggestions:

Make a release (a tab near the top). It gives you a chance to name it, put some notes, upload files (not that you need to, unless you want to upload the "source" again so it has a nice big green button). Like this example (releases/latest goes to the newest). May be a little nicer than a raw link to a zip file.

Add a readme.md file to give it a nice landing page. It's just a text file that interprets some old-school BBS-style text highlighting into HTML in editors that understand it (it's called Markdown, specifically in this case GitHub Flavored Markdown, which is subtly different). An example here.

Pretty cool :) Hope it works out better than the mess you've been dealing with :(

Nocturn

Neo Member
I have this game installed on my Desktop for almost a year now without touching it. I Bought this on launch day and played it for 59 levels on my laptop before I couldn't handle the horrible fps anymore (average Joe's laptop). I tried it out again yesterday on my PC and missed how pretty the game looks and how the combat felt. My problem is that I want to start over from scratch to re-learn the game but I don't know how active the game is now or if the starter areas still have a good amount of players in them.

Short version: I want to get back into this game but unsure how active the community is outside of end game areas.

I have this game installed on my Desktop for almost a year now without touching it. I Bought this on launch day and played it for 59 levels on my laptop before I couldn't handle the horrible fps anymore (average Joe's laptop). I tried it out again yesterday on my PC and missed how pretty the game looks and how the combat felt. My problem is that I want to start over from scratch to re-learn the game but I don't know how active the game is now or if the starter areas still have a good amount of players in them.

Short version: I want to get back into this game but unsure how active the community is outside of end game areas.

Community is great.

They also added this thing called Megaservers where the group up people from all different worlds in one map instead of having them all split in their own version of the map as it was when you played it.

Now a days any map you go to you are bound to run into either another new player or people working on their alts.

Join up with GAFGuild if you want, there is always someone online who can answer questions and everyone is nice.

This morning I finished crafting my Warrior's Ascended...everything.

15297065494104768512_5po0b.jpg

Moondrop and I talked some about my crazy collection yesterday, but I had actually been missing the second Ascended mace until now. (Though I could probably count on one hand the number of times I've dual-wielded maces.)

BraXzy

This morning I finished crafting my Warrior's Ascended...everything.

15297065494104768512_5po0b.jpg

Moondrop and I talked some about my crazy collection yesterday, but I had actually been missing the second Ascended mace until now. (Though I could probably count on one hand the number of times I've dual-wielded maces.)

Damn congrats! Maybe I should look into it and start on an ascended set. The fact it barely adds any stats and is only really helpful for Fractals with a huge price tag puts me off a bit though.

spiritfox

Damn congrats! Maybe I should look into it and start on an ascended set. The fact it barely adds any stats and is only really helpful for Fractals with a huge price tag puts me off a bit though.

Think of it as a way to get rid of your Bloodstone Dust.

Also, that's just crazy Ike. Go play another class already.

I have the same reservations but, decided to try for some ascended gear. I'm not hardcore going after it but, it's like a "side quest" for me I guess.

The great thing about Guild Wars 2 is it has no endgame. The entire game is the endgame, so there's always people everywhere. Level 80s have reasons to be in level 1-15 zones, etc.

:D haha dat themesong

I have it set as my GW2 character select screen music.

Can someone do this for our guild?

That's easily an 800 to a 1000 dollar commission right there, if not more. Single character commissions can range from 80 to 100 dollars. Either that guild is loaded, or someone was very, very kind to spend their time making it.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Two suggestions:

Make a release (a tab near the top). It gives you a chance to name it, put some notes, upload files (not that you need to, unless you want to upload the "source" again so it has a nice big green button). Like this example (releases/latest goes to the newest). May be a little nicer than a raw link to a zip file.

Add a readme.md file to give it a nice landing page. It's just a text file that interprets some old-school BBS-style text highlighting into HTML in editors that understand it (it's called Markdown, specifically in this case GitHub Flavored Markdown, which is subtly different). An example here.

Pretty cool :) Hope it works out better than the mess you've been dealing with :(
Thanks so much, I will look into this. I want to just make sure I have one link I can update/commit to and send people to without retro needing to update the link in the op.

Also I should have asked anyone that downloaded it so far, if you open the good wars 2 mouse script file does it put the broken crosshair on the screen?

Welcome nocturn, please post a account or character name if you want in the guild?

Levyne

Banned
I've never crafted an Ascended Dagger, Spear, or Torch because I never ever use them but seeing Ike's picture makes me want to complete the set.

Another armor set would also so rarely be used to be worth it ><

Nor greatsword, sword, or bows for another reason >_>

forrest

formerly nacire
Thanks so much, I will look into this. I want to just make sure I have one link I can update/commit to and send people to without retro needing to update the link in the op.

Also I should have asked anyone that downloaded it so far, if you open the good wars 2 mouse script file does it put the broken crosshair on the screen?

Welcome nocturn, please post a account or character name if you want in the guild?

Hey Hawkian, I just did the complete autohotkey, script, xpadder setup two days ago based on the original post. The first snag I hit was there was no "START.BAT" batch file included in the script zipfile as per the instructions. This left me having to create my own batch file to launch the game, the autohotkey script and xpadder. Not a huge deal, but a pain for sure. Also, I could see it stopping someone from continuing further if they weren't aware of how to create batch files etc. This is all assuming of course that is what the START.BAT is supposed to do. Also, I did get the broken crosshair image in game and on top of other apps once I got it running. I went into the config file and saw the crosshair was flagged to "0" so I wasn't sure why it was doing it. Upon exiting and reopening everything, the issue seemed to have fixed itself.

Mine01

The last patch i played was the 1rst halloween one, has the game changed alot? can i play the older patches or are they gone?.

BTW, whats the actual size on the client? i've 1mb/s speed, how long will it take?.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Hey Hawkian, I just did the complete autohotkey, script, xpadder setup two days ago based on the original post. The first snag I hit was there was no "START.BAT" batch file included in the script zipfile as per the instructions. This left me having to create my own batch file to launch the game, the autohotkey script and xpadder. Not a huge deal, but a pain for sure. Also, I could see it stopping someone from continuing further if they weren't aware of how to create batch files etc. This is all assuming of course that is what the START.BAT is supposed to do. Also, I did get the broken crosshair image in game and on top of other apps once I got it running. I went into the config file and saw the crosshair was flagged to "0" so I wasn't sure why it was doing it. Upon exiting and reopening everything, the issue seemed to have fixed itself.
the batch file is actually largely unnecessary, so sorry you went to that trouble! it just opens the two files (not the game too), which you could simply do manually. but it's okay. the new package we just uploaded also had the batch and exes restored.

The broken crosshair thing is a new problem since the last revision and I'll need to disable it. but the crosshair isn't really necessary anyway either, it's just a learning tool. The important thing is, when you press the back button on your controller, the mouse cursor should jump to a centered spot. Is that working?

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
you guys using chrome?

you can summon weapons and replace the skill bar too. eles can have a ton more skills on them at one time than most classes.

As far as I know, Chrome auto-blocks zips/exes from unknown sources, (dropboxes, drives, random websites), but since GitHub is "known" it doesn't block them.

Can someone do this for our guild?

This would be amazing! Maybe we can pool some $&#8364;£ money as a guild and get a commission.

We will commission one only for officers and leaders.

The regular members don't count.

Oh wait, fuck yoooouuuuuu!

Retro

The last patch i played was the 1rst halloween one, has the game changed alot? can i play the older patches or are they gone?.

BTW, whats the actual size on the client? i've 1mb/s speed, how long will it take?.

The game has changed a ton, a quick list is at the bottom of this post here.

You won't be able to play all of the older content, as the "Living World" purposely changes the world permanently. You can see the outcome of events pretty clearly though (Lion's Arch, western Kessex Hills, etc). A lot of old content has also come back in the form of Fractals (a new dungeon type that was added just after you stopped playing), holidays and such.

Starting with Season Two of the Living World, you can now replay the story instances from old episodes, though they run $2 each (though there are unique rewards tied to them, so if you want to buy them that's your call). There have been 4 episodes so far.

My Gw2.dat file is 18.7gb, so 5 hours, give or take?

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane

Tons has changed since then.... just, so much it makes me not know where to start on answering, that was before even Southsun was added...

Whether or not you can play the much older patches is kind of a mixed bag. Some were totally temporary and gone, but to name some permanent things there's two new zones, a new dungeon path, three new world boss fights, a new kind of open pvp map, big changes to two existing zones, guild missions we do together weekly, and 12 fractals which are like a set of minidungeons that have their own progression.

in addition the current storyline patches ("episodes") can all be played, one going on right now you will unlock just by logging in, and the 3 previous ones you could either buy to unlock if you want the rewards or tag along with someone who has them if you just want to get caught up with the story.

edit: just building on what retro said, if you wanna buy the s2 episodes 1-3, you could also use in-game gold for that. but note, they are for level 80s, just in case you're not there yet.

forrest

formerly nacire
the batch file is actually largely unnecessary, so sorry you went to that trouble! it just opens the two files (not the game too), which you could simply do manually. but it's okay. the new package we just uploaded also had the batch and exes restored.

The broken crosshair thing is a new problem since the last revision and I'll need to disable it. but the crosshair isn't really necessary anyway either, it's just a learning tool. The important thing is, when you press the back button on your controller, the mouse cursor should jump to a centered spot. Is that working?

I can't remember to be honest, though I felt like the back button was doing what it was supposed to and I had no trouble ever finding my cursor when using mouse mode. I ended up creating an autohotkey for modifiers to use with my keyboard/mouse/nostromo setup and tucked the 360 pad away for now. I'm sure I'll mess with it again, but using mouse mode to navigate inventory and such felt like a real pain. Do you guys use that or just pick up your mouse/keyboard for those situations?

I can always load it up if you want me to check on the centered cursor for you. Currently I'm playing at 1920x1080 if that is how you center the cursor.

Ascended gear is just another carrot for the bored GW2 players if you ain't bored don't bother, my Guardian is a tank and even with all Ascended gear i feel as though i still being hit for the same damage from high level mobs in every area of the game, in the 7-8 months since i finish my set i see just a small difference. Rare to exotic=huge difference, Exotic to Ascended small, just a money pit grind..

Mine01

Tons has changed since then.... just, so much it makes me not know where to start on answering, that was before even Southsun was added...

Whether or not you can play the much older patches is kind of a mixed bag. Some were totally temporary and gone, but to name some permanent things there's two new zones, a new dungeon path, three new world boss fights, a new kind of open pvp map, big changes to two existing zones, guild missions we do together weekly, and 12 fractals which are like a set of minidungeons that have their own progression.

in addition the current storyline patches ("episodes") can all be played, one going on right now you will unlock just by logging in, and the 3 previous ones you could either buy to unlock if you want the rewards or tag along with someone who has them if you just want to get caught up with the story.

edit: just building on what retro said, if you wanna buy the s2 episodes 1-3, you could also use in-game gold for that. but note, they are for level 80s, just in case you're not there yet.

Thx for the answers guys, and about the level 80, i've got 3(4?) level 80. I was pretty hardcore when the game launched since i was on vacation/unemployed that time. Clocked like 300hours the first month lol.

Taffer

I've never crafted an Ascended Dagger, Spear, or Torch because I never ever use them but seeing Ike's picture makes me want to complete the set.

Another armor set would also so rarely be used to be worth it ><

Nor greatsword, sword, or bows for another reason >_>

Which character is currently holding all the legendaries? Make ascended gear for the other one (of the 2 that can use all 3 weapons).

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I can't remember to be honest, though I felt like the back button was doing what it was supposed to and I had no trouble ever finding my cursor when using mouse mode. I ended up creating an autohotkey for modifiers to use with my keyboard/mouse/nostromo setup and tucked the 360 pad away for now. I'm sure I'll mess with it again, but using mouse mode to navigate inventory and such felt like a real pain. Do you guys use that or just pick up your mouse/keyboard for those situations?

I can always load it up if you want me to check on the centered cursor for you. Currently I'm playing at 1920x1080 if that is how you center the cursor.
yeah
for heavy inventory stuff I just grab my mouse.

it'll recenter no matter what resolution or window size you're using, relative to the size of the window in xy, so even oddball sizes if your window was like a square would work.

The purpose of the recenter is to make aiming aoe skills really natural and fluent. lots of people here use the nostromo though, which I don't have, I'm sure it works awesome :)

Granadier

Looks like that guild commission painting took around a month of work. Probably not something feasible for us :/

Retro

Looks like that guild commission painting took around a month of work. Probably not something feasible for us :/

We're over 480 members again. Can you imagine trying to paint 480 people? Hell, even if we just grabbed people from the last, say, month or so, that'd still be more than are in that painting.

We'll just have to settle for the group photos in the OT.

Granadier

We're over 480 members again. Can you imagine trying to paint 480 people? Hell, even if we just grabbed people from the last, say, month or so, that'd still be more than are in that painting.

We'll just have to settle for the group photos in the OT.

Hrmpf

Mine01

Guys i dont know if i should start again or just play with my level 80, is there any endgame?.

I guess i'll start again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom