• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT4| The only subscription you need is this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Levyne

Banned
I'm looking forward to having 40 of those level 20 scrolls stacked in my bank. Yippee.

As of a couple hours ago I couldn't get year 1 and year 2 scrolls to stack together. Hope you have an extra bank space.

Edit unless you have 40 2 year old characters ><. I can't count past a couple dozen.

xeris

As of a couple hours ago I couldn't get year 1 and year 2 scrolls to stack together. Hope you have an extra bank space.

Edit unless you have 40 2 year old characters ><. I can't count past a couple dozen.

By the end of year 2 I'll have 40 of the year two ones. One for each character. My year one scrolls should be enough for the rest of my characters that aren't 20 yet. Without looking, I think that's around 17 of em. At least I won't have 80 of those year 1 pets.

Nuckinya

Neo Member
Hey guys, I've been pretty keen to get back into an MMO of late, and I feel like Guild Wars 2 seems like the best option. From what I gather there is a pretty active GAF community, which would address a key issue for me which is that when I last played this game, I got bored fairly quickly because in lower level areas there weren't many people who I could complete events with. This left me unable to do a lot of quests.

So my questions are:

1. What are the popular GAF servers? Or which servers do you think have the most active communities? None of my characters are very high level so I don't mind deleting all of them to move to another server.

2. Is there a GAF guild, and if so, what server is it on and what are the requirements to join?

Really keen to get back into this game, as I had a lot of fun with it when I was in areas with lots of activity!

Ashodin

We're on Stormbluff Isle, and the only requirement to join is a brain and common sense. Welcome aboard!

Also regardless of GAF guild (but we're still awesome anyway) the game introduced mega servers which cross populate the servers with users from other servers so it's always populated.

Nuckinya

Neo Member
We're on Stormbluff Isle, and the only requirement to join is a brain and common sense. Welcome aboard!

Also regardless of GAF guild (but we're still awesome anyway) the game introduced mega servers which cross populate the servers with users from other servers so it's always populated.

Awesome, thanks for the reply! I'm located in Australia so hopefully there are a few Aussies around in the GAF guild, because I'll be on at some pretty odd times haha.

Adriaaa will be there to ask you "u fuckin wot m8" ;)
I always that was a britishism.

Hope Adriaaa aka Leng Jai in forums doesn't decide to role play his guild tank too often when you join us.

Btw just post your accountname.#### and you'll have a guild invite ready whenever you decide to flip over to Stormbluff Isle.

Nuckinya

Neo Member

Hope Adriaaa aka Leng Jai in forums doesn't decide to role play his guild tank too often when you join us.

Btw just post your accountname.#### and you'll have a guild invite ready whenever you decide to flip over to Stormbluff Isle.

Here it is: Nuckinya.9850

Thanks so much for the prompt replies everyone! Just gotta wait for the client to download the whole game, so that might take a while.

Retro

Welcome to the Guild, Nuck.

Today's Sale:
August 25

The Minis 3-Pack that started it all! Get a randomf spread of three Set 1 miniatures, from the friendly Green Moa to the handsome Logan Thackery. We’re also discounting the Ancestral Outfit by 20% and the Guild Shield Finisher by 50%.

Hmm.

We'll also get to see the article titles for Week 2; "A Fresh Start" and one of the articles today.
Our second week of September 2014 Feature Pack reveals is focused on improving the Guild Wars 2 experience for new and veteran players alike!

Good thing, we could use a fresh start after last week ended up spoiled and rotten.

I doubt that since the game launch 3am est, 12am pst time on the 25th, and due to demand the servers crashed and the game was down until 7am est, I know this because my friends stayed up all night, they said the servers lasted 20mins and it went boom..

I was able to log on at 9:00pm Aug 24th, 2012 and create eight characters back to back. It looks like the presents came to my characters the minute they were created two years ago.

Nuckinya

Neo Member
Whilst I'm waiting for the game to download, I'll decide what class I'll roll. I played an Engineer up to like mid 20s, not sure I enjoyed the play style that much. Not a fan of having to use traps, pets and such.

The classes I'm considering right now are below and would love any advice or experiences that you guys have had with them.

Mesmer: I played one until level 10 and thought it was fun. Is it a difficult class to learn? I don't generally play ranged or caster classes in MMOs for some reason. Whenever I do, I end up dying heaps because I sub-consciously gravitate too close to the enemy.

Thief: I never used to like playing rogue type classes in MMOs until I played Elder Scrolls Online. I really enjoyed the burst damage aspect. Sneaking up on an opponent and dealing massive amounts of damage in a short space of time. I'll be the first to admit that I'm not the best at AOE classes and managing lots of enemies at once, so I find classes that are good 1v1 or 1v2 to be more suited to how I play.

Warrior: As I mentioned before, in battle I always find myself moving toward the opponent, so I suppose a warrior would suit how I play the best. Probably my least preferred class out of the 3 but if someone has had a particularly fun experience with one, I'd love to hear it. I'm really looking for some variety in play styles though, how does the warrior fare with that, seeing as they can only use melee weapons?

Any thoughts or experiences in regard to these classes are welcome. I haven't played the game since launch so I'm not well versed in how they all play nowadays.

Rawk Hawk

Kos already spotted me over the weekend, but I may be poking around the fields of Tyria again. My brother in law informed me that he recently got the game as well, so been trying to get accustomed to everything again.

Retro

Whilst I'm waiting for the game to download, I'll decide what class I'll roll.

All of them are much improved since launch, having been several balance passes over the last two years (and another one coming up in two weeks). Things are basically to the point where there aren't any "bad professions", just "bad fits" with your preferences. Here's a few thoughts on the professions you mentioned, with an eye towards PVE since that's what I tend to play most;

Mesmer: Very dependent on traits to get the core of their gameplay mechanics really clicking, so it'll be level 40 or so at least before you feel like the class is starting to get powerful. Once it does, however, you basically have an evasive, burst-oriented class that comes with a private army of suicide bombers. They tend to be kind of fragile in a fight and they lack a lot of multi-target attacks, but they always have a trick up their sleeve and stuff like Time Warp, Feedback, Null Field and Portal are always welcome in a group. I enjoy playing mine fairly often. If you find yourself moving towards a melee Mesmer, sword/sword is a solid choice (offers an evasive strike, a leap attack and a block, so you can last a bit longer up close).

Thief: Of all my characters, my Thief is the one that feels the best when it 'clicks'; when I'm in the zone on my thief, I feel like I can take on 4 or 5 baddies at once and none of them can touch me (in fact, one of my favorite things to do is play the "How many things can I kill before I take any damage" game). The skills are well designed, stealing and initiative are fun mechanics that make combat feel like you'd imagine thief combat should feel; fast, nimble, a little frantic, dancing between enemies, disappearing and reappearing where unexpected... It's essentially Batman: The MMO Class. The downside is that they tend to be a little fragile, so until you get a sense of their playstyle you may find yourself getting killed a lot (hint: thieves have so many skills that give you a free evade it's insane). They also tend to be focused on damage predominantly so you don't have a lot of variety in terms of roles.

Warrior: Warriors have a reputation as being a 'boring' class, but I think that tends to be because people find a weapon set they like and stick with it, in which case they're totally boring. But the warrior has more weapon choices than any other profession, and there's a lot of play in their traits in regards to which weapons you want to use. That makes them a fairly versatile class, maybe moreso than any other (and in regards to their melee-only style, you can use both a Rifle and Longbow as a warrior, and both are really well designed). They also have two decent support options (both shouts and banners are viable) so that's excellent as well. The downside is, while they have a lot of tools they all kind of work the same way, so if you're fighting an enemy where pounding it into oblivion isn't the most effective way to beat it, you're kind of at a loss. It's never been much a problem for me, and I tend to play my Warrior the most (even though my favorite class to play is Engineer).

Kos already spotted me over the weekend, but I may be poking around the fields of Tyria again. My brother in law informed me that he recently got the game as well, so been trying to get accustomed to everything again.
Welcome back, BEST Hawk. Let us know if you want us to throw your blaw an invite to the guild.

Hope you and the family are doing well.

leng jai

Warrior is actually a pretty satisfying to play if you don't use great sword exclusively. The 5 second weapon swap trait alone makes it more fun than Guardian for example.

Rawk Hawk

Welcome back, BEST Hawk. Let us know if you want us to throw your blaw an invite to the guild.

Hope you and the family are doing well.

Thanks for the offer, I'll keep that in reserve though. Let me see if he is planning on playing for a while or what. I believe him and his friends all got it, some of which I'd assume not invite... so.. yea, thanks but I won't put you all through that.

Fam is great, thanks. Hopefully all is well with yours.

So I sort of died off playing around Jan-Feb 2014, going to try and catch up on the story at work this week, but from what I gather things have been pretty interesting.

Moondrop

Banned
The classes I'm considering right now are below and would love any advice or experiences that you guys have had with them.
I have and enjoy all three, but my perspective is heavily influenced by PvP/WvW.

Mesmer: There is a learning curve here, but that's part of the fun; it has unique mechanics. Mesmers have many skills that allow them to survive in close-quarters combat: an invulnerable cleave on main-hand sword, blocks on scepter and offhand sword, a quick blink on staff, and of course clones and stealth. But in PvE the enemies don't truly respect your stealth- they'll target you immediately as it drops- so you still need to have enough DPS to drop them.

Thief: Thief is my newest class, and I'm having a lot of fun solo stalking in Edge of the Mists. It feels very different from other classes in that it uses an initiative system instead of weapon cooldowns. For PvE however you've got to bring solid DPS and use your evades, because you're almost guaranteed to be squishy. And the same stealth issues as mesmer, which is why I can't fully love either for PvE only.

Warrior: My first and main class, so I'll not wax on except to say warrior actually has great build diversity. You could go rifle/bow and be purely ranged and still complete all content, or take just one for an inside-outside game. Warriors also span the range of pure DPS to tanky healers better than any other class. You just can't go wrong with warrior.

But overall I would say test them out and pick one with weapon skills you enjoy.

Some info regarding the cake gun

http://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/2ei80m/everything_you_need_to_know_about_the_birthday/

• It is a soulbound unlimited-use bundle that shoots cake. Does not work underwater. Works in WvW.
  • When picked up, cake provides Nourishment: +40 to all attributes, 10% Karma, 15% MF, 15% XP for 10 minutes. Upon pickup you also receive Sugar Rush, prohibiting more cake consumption for 30 seconds but giving you 2-3 seconds of Swiftness. This nourishment will not replace or strip previous food buffs.
  • The Blaster has two skills, 1 cake launch with no cooldown and 3 cakes in a horizontal spread on 20 seconds cooldown. If not picked up, cake will disappear after 10 seconds.
  • The cake has a range 1200 and is a projectile finisher. It cannot be reflected or destroyed, but it does trigger combo fields.
  • You can aim the direction you shoot cake based on your camera. This includes straight up like fireworks, at walls to make inaccessible sweets, or at people's feet to force them to instantly pick up the cake.

And apparently the cake buff also buffs Ranger Pets, guess Nathan Drake is gonna get fat on cake :D (my drake pet lol). Also according to that thread it works with the metabolic primer

edit: seems like the 40 point buff scales with your character lvl in WvW, so watch for crazy statted uplevels in WvW til they change it haha

http://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/2eizom/behold_the_birthday_blaster_boon_becomes/

without buff stats
sUUim2H.jpg
after buff stats

Thanks for the offer, I'll keep that in reserve though. Let me see if he is planning on playing for a while or what. I believe him and his friends all got it, some of which I'd assume not invite... so.. yea, thanks but I won't put you all through that.

Fam is great, thanks. Hopefully all is well with yours.

So I sort of died off playing around Jan-Feb 2014, going to try and catch up on the story at work this week, but from what I gather things have been pretty interesting.

As long as they are ok with the NeoGAF Policy (policy we posted in first page of ot) all friends and family are welcome once you are in the guild.

Nuckinya

Neo Member
Awesome, cheers for the input and advice guys. I think I'll start with a Thief. Interested to see how the stealth mechanic works out.

Just one more question: I've never been big on crafting - in MMOs or any game for that matter. It's not something I've ever enjoyed and it's always felt like a chore to me. I've never actively wanted to get involved with crafting and only ever did it because it felt like I was expected to. Not in WoW, FF14, Wild Star, ESO or GW2 when I played it early on.

Is it viable in GW2 if I chose to not gather or craft at all? Would I miss out on any stat bonuses, gear or items that are fundamental to me getting the most out of end-game PVP and PVE? And I suppose also there is the gold thing. Will not crafting mean that I'll spend the game not being able to afford things?

Sorry for the influx of questions - I just want to get a bearing on if I should pick-up crafting ASAP or if I can just forget about it.

spiritfox

Crafting is useless in GW2, unless you want to get Ascended gear which are not worth the effort. You can play the game without touching crafting at all and you'll be fine for the most part.

Gathering does give you a decent source of income though. However, it's pretty easy to just gather stuff as you explore the world. You don't need to camp nodes since everyone has their own nodes, and you don't take away anything from anyone else if you harvest that node.

You can get 10 levels for every crafting profession you get to 400.

There are special crafting recipes that always make money for people.

I don't think crafting is useless. Might be boring but I don't mind if I am getting rich in the process.

Retro

Is it viable in GW2 if I chose to not gather or craft at all?

Since gathering is tool-based and gives experience, there's no reason not to, and if you're not using those materials to craft, it's all profit.

Crafting though, you can skip if you like, though it awards experience too and there's some exclusive skins and such.

Levyne

Banned
You can get 10 levels for every crafting profession you get to 400.

There are special crafting recipes that always make money for people.

I don't think crafting is useless. Might be boring but I don't mind if I am getting rich in the process.

Wasn't it adjusted to be 10 levels to 500?.

Well I suppose the point is unchanged. You can level through crafting.

BraXzy

It is indeed, it's unfortunate that some people say that un-ironically :L

Awesome, cheers for the input and advice guys. I think I'll start with a Thief. Interested to see how the stealth mechanic works out.

Nice choice! I went with Thief for my very first class, it's a lot of fun. Be sure to get every weapon you can use from the weaponsmith by your starting spot since abilities change based on weapon selection so you will want to try them all :)

Minamu

Mesmer: Very dependent on traits to get the core of their gameplay mechanics really clicking, so it'll be level 40 or so at least before you feel like the class is starting to get powerful. Once it does, however, you basically have an evasive, burst-oriented class that comes with a private army of suicide bombers. They tend to be kind of fragile in a fight and they lack a lot of multi-target attacks, but they always have a trick up their sleeve and stuff like Time Warp, Feedback, Null Field and Portal are always welcome in a group. I enjoy playing mine fairly often. If you find yourself moving towards a melee Mesmer, sword/sword is a solid choice (offers an evasive strike, a leap attack and a block, so you can last a bit longer up close).
I could use some build advice on this, so far I've just put points in what I think sounds great, but I don't know if they mix well or anything xD I'm a Greatsword/Sword kind of guy. It seemed the best for damage output in my experience.

Moondrop

Banned
So I have a loose honor code when I troll with thief in EotM: I don't dance or jump on bodies, I don't emote otherwise unless you emote first, and I never whisper trash talk to opponents.

On this last point, I understand how they use the social functions to target you for whispering. But after I blocked this one loser, he soon started whispering me from another name. You can't do this just by switching to an alt, right? Was he using a separate account?

I could use some build advice on this, so far I've just put points in what I think sounds great, but I don't know if they mix well or anything xD I'm a Greatsword/Sword kind of guy. It seemed the best for damage output in my experience.
For me, weapon choice is secondary for mesmer. To truly optimize I would first decide on building around shatter, phantasm, lockdown, stealth, or mantra, then pick my traits, and then either adapt weapon and utility choices or just stick with those I prefer.

Thorgal

today i visited Domain Raversijde.

IT is a giant domain and museum of Hittlers atlantic wall perfectly preseved .

Also it includes part of the defenses in WW1 .

I will share some photos of it when i get back home this friday.

today i visited Domain Raversijde.

IT is a giant domain and museum of Hittlers atlantic wall perfectly preseved .

Also it includes part of the defenses in WW1 .

Where is that? Germany I guess? Kinda sounds Scandinavian though.

Thorgal

Where is that? Germany I guess? Kinda sounds Scandinavian though.

It is along the Belgian coastline.

The name of the Domain is dutch .

A rough translation to English would be Ravenside.

Originaly it was the property of Prince Karel who lived there till his death
Now his house and the domain are a giant museum.

Minamu

For me, weapon choice is secondary for mesmer. To truly optimize I would first decide on building around shatter, phantasm, lockdown, stealth, or mantra, then pick my traits, and then either adapt weapon and utility choices or just stick with those I prefer.
True, phantasms is what I've been using so far.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Culling tomorrow guys. We're back over 490 again... what. Just blows my mind. we've never once actively recruited people to our ranks, it's just a constant stream of people having asked to join, people asking to tag along for something and sticking around cause we're so pretty, friends and family of existing members and long-idle returning players.
1. What are the popular GAF servers? Or which servers do you think have the most active communities? None of my characters are very high level so I don't mind deleting all of them to move to another server.
I'm not sure anyone really answered this directly- if you areon a European server, you'll need to transfer or delete your characters. if you are a North American server, the only thing you can't do with us is world vs world.

All GAF members tend to play on NA/stormbluff isle, even if they're physically in the EU or Oceania.

there are no low population servers anymore in PvE because the megaservers fill maps with players from the same region, so
Really keen to get back into this game, as I had a lot of fun with it when I was in areas with lots of activity!
...this is now the case more often than not unless you're somewhere really obscure.

edit: wait... looks like some of this info became irrelevant while I was typing it maybe

no it's pretty much accurate. the main thing is just to be in an na server.
Whilst I'm waiting for the game to download, I'll decide what class I'll roll.
I suggest thief or warrior to start. mesmer is an amazing class but takes a while to feel fluid and you really benefit from an understanding of core systems with them to stay alive. They have some of the most interesting group utility of any class.

Note that mesmers can do melee, and warriors have ranged weapons.
I hope I can join in an Aetherpath run in the future.
Of course you can, I really like leading it. it's tough and certain rooms can get annoying but it's fair. between my other characters I probably already have another 5 keys. :p

Thorgal said:
that sounds fascinating, please do

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
looks like we'll probably get a decent bump in influence and merits from this guild unification thing. Guild karka queens for everyone!

I love this bit with the blessing for winding up on a map that is being spun down
If you choose to volunteer to move to a new map, you’ll even get a reward in the form of a new effect, the Volunteer’s Blessing, which increases movement speed by 15%, karma gain by 5%, and experience from kills by 10% for 10 minutes.

admittedly, I don't understand the reservation system for missions though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom