• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT4| The only subscription you need is this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Moondrop

Banned
True, phantasms is what I've been using so far.
I play phantasms too (although I'll probably not when I seriously pick up mesmer again), however for phantasms I do believe weapon choice matters as some are better than others. My tier list for PvP/WvW:

Tier A
Pistol: just brutal damage, and you can plant it like a turret in places that make it costly for your opponent to target.
Sword: leaps and chases your foe to land hits and command attention.

Tier B
Greatsword: the crippling whirl is great for chasing down fleeing foes, but it's not as effective in a stand-up fight.
Focus: even though it's stationary, can be used situationally for heavy damage on a point as well as its reflective properties.

Tier C
Staff: I'm told by a very good player that this can work in power builds, but I find it pretty meh. I should test more.

Tier Z
Torch: If I could add more letters to the alphabet, I would.

BraXzy

Wow, Megaservers only came in in April? I sure did join at the right time to never know of the dark days that came before haha.

Wonder if tomorrows post will have to do with the actual technical improvements of the game so it runs better.

I remember that one ANET engineer talking about changing the way skills animations load and such so that it would cut down on lag when you have a lot of people playing.

BraXzy

With this feature pack, we’re making getting your guild together for a mission easier than ever by introducing significant improvements to the way guild missions work in the open world. The megaserver system will be extended with a reservation system that is automatically enabled whenever a guild member joins a map to do a guild mission, which will prioritize adding guild members to that map. This system, however, is limited in the number of spaces that get reserved on the map instance, so it’ll work best for small- and medium-sized guilds.

This is a pretty neat little improvement. Admittedly it's rare that we ever get split up but at least there won't be that problem at all once this drops. And of course, global guilds sound excellent.

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls
When I first made my Mesmer there was a glitch for a month or two where you could dodge cancel The Prestige and it would recharge instantly. So basically you could stay in invisibility forever. The fact that such a glitch went unnoticed for so long should give you an idea on how few Mesmers there were using Torch.

Minamu

I play phantasms too (although I'll probably not when I seriously pick up mesmer again), however for phantasms I do believe weapon choice matters as some are better than others. My tier list for PvP/WvW:

Tier A
Pistol: just brutal damage, and you can plant it like a turret in places that make it costly for your opponent to target.
Sword: leaps and chases your foe to land hits and command attention.

Tier B
Greatsword: the crippling whirl is great for chasing down fleeing foes, but it's not as effective in a stand-up fight.
Focus: even though it's stationary, can be used situationally for heavy damage on a point as well as its reflective properties.
Would these work in PvE as well? That's the only thing I've done so far. Tier A sounds interesting :D

Moondrop

Banned
Would these work in PvE as well? That's the only thing I've done so far. Tier A sounds interesting :D
Sure, but for PvE you probably want to bump focus up to A and perhaps sword down to B. I imagine the sword phantasm will often be destroyed before it makes its second attack, but any dungeon-oriented mesmers are free to weigh in.

Shanlei91

For PvE swap Tier A with B purely because Tier A is single target damage while the Tier B phantasms hit multiple targets. Far more useful against non-boss fights.

oFCre5X.png

lv35Kex.gif

Seriously, all these megaserver improvements - global guilds, Volunteer's Blessing, etc... This is stuff people *really needed*, and Anet had been working on. This is serious QoL improvement across the board, not just for a handful of people. I am impressed.

Minamu

Sure, but for PvE you probably want to bump focus up to A and perhaps sword down to B. I imagine the sword phantasm will often be destroyed before it makes its second attack, but any dungeon-oriented mesmers are free to weigh in.

For PvE swap Tier A with B purely because Tier A is single target damage while the Tier B phantasms hit multiple targets. Far more useful against non-boss fights.
Makes sense! Wait, so I can have a Focus with GS even though it's two-handed? Gotta find one too I guess xD

Shanlei91

Makes sense! Wait, so I can have a Focus with GS even though it's two-handed? Gotta find one too I guess xD

You'd have to swap between the two. Greatsword as one set and Sword/Focus as your second set (you can swap between two sets starting at lvl 7!)

BraXzy

Be careful or someone will get your GW2 account, transmute your Twilight, and then sell it to an NPC vendor.

No one is that evil? Right?! It was a steam phishing site anyway so if anything they will steal my items (which isn't gonna happen because I just put my account on lockdown)

BraXzy

What exactly fooled you? Or what were you looking at? Is it GW2 related?

Nothing to do with GW2, to do with Steam trading. Someone sent me a link for their "friends" profile who might be interested in trading and it was a fake site. It fooled me though -.-

BraXzy

get that 2 factor auth for steam setup

I have it set up but I don't trust it since I may have given a password away. I'm in the process of changing passwords on sites that share my steam one. I know, I know, I should use a unique one for each thing but I'd end up forgetting them all :L

Levyne

Banned
I have it set up but I don't trust it since I may have given a password away. I'm in the process of changing passwords on sites that share my steam one. I know, I know, I should use a unique one for each thing but I'd end up forgetting them all :L

LastPass is a godsend.

Though a result is that I don't actually know half my passwords anymore ><

Zeroth

Nothing to do with GW2, to do with Steam trading. Someone sent me a link for their "friends" profile who might be interested in trading and it was a fake site. It fooled me though -.-

This is why you should send your alpine ursa set to me

LastPass is a godsend.

Oh yes, LastPass is the best

BraXzy

This is why you should send your alpine ursa set to me

Lmao, I wish I had an alpine ursa set. I didn't play when that was in the store or I'd have bought 10 sets. The most expensive item I had was the Timebreaker but I sold it today.

LastPass is a godsend.

I have LastPass but some sites I don't have it set up on for some reason. Sometimes it doesn't pop up and I don't bother :L

Yeah Ive gotten into the habit of using a base password but tweaking it for each site so that few if any are shared (like a few chars signifying the site). Still not as good as a service like lastpass but works alright for me so far

Minamu

You'd have to swap between the two. Greatsword as one set and Sword/Focus as your second set (you can swap between two sets starting at lvl 7!)
Oh you meant it like that, okay :) Next time I find a Focus, I'll try it. Gonna check if there's a difference between pistol/sword and sword/pistol now, that's what I have on my alt set together with GS.

Retro

Oh you meant it like that, okay :) Next time I find a Focus, I'll try it. Gonna check if there's a difference between pistol/sword and sword/pistol now, that's what I have on my alt set together with GS.

Mesmers don't have Pistol mainhand though.

Retro

So tomorrow could be interesting; "Game improvements" is so vague it could literally be anything. I'm not expecting much, but since it's hard to guess what it could even be focused on, I expect to at least be surprised.

Right :/ :( it sounded so cool.

Yeah, maybe they'll get it some day when they shuffle up the weapon types. It's certainly not the worst option.

Zeroth

Probably SAB coming back or precursor crafting or free expansion. Anything less and it proves Anet is working on absolutely nothing

Retro

Probably SAB coming back or precursor crafting or free expansion. Anything less and it proves Anet is working on absolutely nothing

Someone on Reddit suggested that it's private instances for world bosses. Same person thinks the "Fresh Start" article will be about a paid race change option.

Yeeeeah...
1sm067roll8turv.gif

A certain MMO site who will not be named threw some words out on the internet today. The short version is "The rancid response was justified, players are better experts on Guild Wars 2 than the devs (literally, this is the term used; "experts, not only in their own mind, but in reality, and it gives them the right to express valid opinions on what the game should do"), keep whining, you'll get what you want."

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
No one is that evil? Right?! It was a steam phishing site anyway so if anything they will steal my items (which isn't gonna happen because I just put my account on lockdown)

Oh no! The Dota sets!!!!

BraXzy

Oh no! The Dota sets!!!!

I don't really have any super valuable items anyway. Just lots and lots of decent sets hehe. My one valuable item sold on the market today so I've just taken all the steps I can think of to avoid anything being stolen. Still doing various scans to see if I can find anything lurking within the depths of System 32 or something.

Oh and once I'm 100% sure I don't have a keylogger, I'm gonna update all passwords on sites I care about to customised ones for more security. So thank you scammers for making me tighten up my security I guess :L

Shanlei91

Fresh start:

Will have to do with redoing your personal story, could mean the following:
  • Change your race, resetting your personal story.
  • Or reset your level to 1, resetting your personal story so you can feel the joy of leveling up all over again but with a character you're attached to.
  • Will cost 800 gems but you do get black lion keys as a sort of rebate
uip0ALp.jpg

Retro

In all seriousness, it's probably more/better early game tooltips, the changes to the Personal Story that China got (they're reorganized so you don't bump into them when under-leveled), maybe a change to the way traits or skill slots are unlocked.

I don't really have any super valuable items anyway. Just lots and lots of decent sets hehe. My one valuable item sold on the market today so I've just taken all the steps I can think of to avoid anything being stolen. Still doing various scans to see if I can find anything lurking within the depths of System 32 or something.

Oh and once I'm 100% sure I don't have a keylogger, I'm gonna update all passwords on sites I care about to customised ones for more security. So thank you scammers for making me tighten up my security I guess :L

Please as an officer use 2 step authenticator for google. Our guild bank has been hit twice already.

Mxrz

In my mind, Massively is the only mmo news site.

I'm currently afraid to buy/spend anything out of some irrational fear that changes announced this week will make things easier and/or cheaper. That's pretty silly.

Read the Guardian guide thingy Dulfy put up, and I'm left wondering if these people ever actually pug, or play the game at a non-theory craft level. I can appreciate the work people put into a guide -- done a few for less than grateful guild mates myself -- but telling the new-to-average player to do "this and this" cause a perfect group has that seems a little short-sighted.

Hopefully future content exploits people learning memorization over how to adapt to the situation. Or at least foster an environment where people can learn to adapt a build to their own abilities as a player.

Shanlei91

In all seriousness, it's probably more/better early game tooltips, the changes to the Personal Story that China got (they're reorganized so you don't bump into them when under-leveled), maybe a change to the way traits or skill slots are unlocked.

They definitely need dodge training in the tutorial.

Read the Guardian guide thingy Dulfy put up, and I'm left wondering if these people ever actually pug, or play the game at a non-theory craft level. I can appreciate the work people put into a guide -- done a few for less than grateful guild mates myself -- but telling the new-to-average player to do "this and this" cause a perfect group has that seems a little short-sighted.

I kinda love that torch, mace and shield are not covered anywhere in that guide.

If you ever find yourself in a pug with terrible players, a Guardian with a mace can balance out the awfulness.

BraXzy

I really really hope it's changes to the way traits work because it's a real pain having them all locked away when wanting to experiment with builds.

Early game improvements would definitely be a good thing too. There isn't all that much in the way of a helping hand at the start, which is partly to avoid putting restrictions on how people play I suppose but at the same time, there could definitely be better ways to introduce new players.

Moondrop

Banned
Right :/ :( it sounded so cool.
You can roll thief and go pistol/dagger+dagger/pistol with corresponding skins. Yes, I pretend my thief is swapping the same weapons between hands.

There's an activity at the Claypool Heart in Queensdale that actually does a decent job of this. Obviously not everyone will encounter this.

Retro

In my mind, Massively is the only mmo news site.

Yep, this is basically what I'm down to now. TenTonHammer is pretty much the "Hype" MMO site; they'll run a dozen articles about the smallest detail on an upcoming MMO, but once it's out they forget it exists. MMORPG seems to be fixated on the communities rather than the games, so instead of covering news and announcements, they cover the reaction to news and announcements instead. Lots of fluff too, and their comments are the worst.

Hopefully future content exploits people learning memorization over how to adapt to the situation. Or at least foster an environment where people can learn to adapt a build to their own abilities as a player.

They've been making progress in anti-zerg mechanics, so I wouldn't be shocked if future content comes down hard on the stacking / zerker meta. The last Living Story fight is kind of brutal if you're ignorant of stability and condition removal, and there's so much hitting you that I can't imagine zerkers lasting very long if they don't have the skill to back it up.

For all the complaints that GW2 fights are chaos (and chaos is good, since order is boring), there needs to be less "This is a regular enemy who just has more health and hits harder" and more "Holy shit, what is going on!?" More Scarlet Hologram fights, less HotW Butcher (who has the underpinnings of an interesting mechanic but it's suffocated by the small space and the fight not punishing you enough for ignoring the totems).

I'm a big proponent of 'teach by doing'; when a player needs to learn jump, put them in a situation where the only way forward is to jump, rather than making them wait and telling them "Hey! Listen! You can't get past here without jumping! Wait, You do know how to jump, don't you? How could you forget? It was your favorite thing in the world! Did you forget that you press X to jump too?! What a horrible thing to forget, I can't imagine forgetting how to jump! So, did you understand all of that? I can repeat it! Are you sure? Okay, then press X to jump now, or should I tell you about jumping again?"

Basically, something in the tutorial stage needs to be impassible without dodging. That's too important of a mechanic to be able to ignore.

I really really hope it's changes to the way traits work because it's a real pain having them all locked away when wanting to experiment with builds.

Early game improvements would definitely be a good thing too. There isn't all that much in the way of a helping hand at the start, which is partly to avoid putting restrictions on how people play I suppose but at the same time, there could definitely be better ways to introduce new players.

I've gone over my distaste with the trait system several times before, so I won't regurgitate it here, but I'd be happy if they just spread the levels in which you earn trait points a little more evenly.

Retro

Due to the announced changes today, we'll be eliminating the "Remote Operator" rank from the guild since that was a way for non-SBI members to spend influence on their own 'chapter'. Anyone who has been using the guild bank as their own private hoard will need to clear their stuff out before that happens.

No PAX passes but I might make it to the thing on friday.

If you want, we can let Rubi know you're coming, she's been asking if any GAFers will be there.

Q

Queen of Hunting

Unconfirmed Member
is it possible they might be doing a alternate level system like other mmo's (once you hit the normal level cap you can gain small progression still after) or maybe some form of prestige system ?

Retro

is it possible they might be doing a alternate level system like other mmo's (once you hit the normal level cap you can gain small progression still after) or maybe some form of prestige system ?

They already have that, since you keep gaining skill points every time you 'level' at 80. It's just that there just aren't many things to spend skill points. Precursor crafting would be a good one, cosmetic traits could be another. I'm not sure what form a prestige system could take considering there's already account wide Magic Find, but I'm sure they could come up with something.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom