• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT4| The only subscription you need is this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trey

The changes to early zones are horrible. I know we've talked at length about the capability of new players, but come on. You're giving them a truncated version of the game and they're not going to naturally learn how to play later on. Enemies in starter zones don't cause conditions? bruh

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
oh neat the patch is up? I'll take a break to check it out :)
I felt that we generally don't do enough to make much of an impression on their time except for chatting with us when they're online.
I don't know what that means. their level of interaction will be up to them if they decide to join.

Arcteryx

auto deposit materials word

edit: Are there just a ton of new craftable skins?

lots of backpacks and it looks like weapons as well(from that_shaman datamine).

The changes to early zones are horrible. I know we've talked at length about the capability of new players, but come on. You're giving them a truncated version of the game and they're not going to naturally learn how to play later on. Enemies in starter zones don't cause conditions? bruh

Amen. The game is easy enough as it is, so instead of creating a tutorial...you dumb down the game even further. In what world does that make sense?

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
lots of backpacks and it looks like weapons as well(from that_shaman datamine).
like a lot?
Barking Dog
109872_0656 Gunnarsong
109872_0657 Ravengift
109872_0658 Teardrawer
109872_0659 Spiritcatcher
109872_0660 Woundfire
109872_0661 Barrowbuilder
109872_0662 Dreadbell
109872_0663 Barking Wolf
109872_0664 Wiseclaw
109872_0665 Swordshame
109872_0666 Speakerpride
109872_0667 Warleek
109872_0668 Hearthfriend
109872_0669 Wayfinder
109872_0670 Woundwolf
109872_0671 Ram's Sigh
109872_0672 Francisca
109872_0674 Glaukon's Greeting
109872_0675 Big Grin
109872_0676 Little Smirk
109872_0677 Razor Shard
109872_0678 Hand Furnace
109872_0679 Fury Unleashed
109872_0680 Thermaul
109872_0681 Forge Gavel
109872_0682 Gritted Bayonet
109872_0683 Smodur's Charge
109872_0684 Chiminea Ward
109872_0685 Radiance
109872_0686 Distemper
109872_0687 Titan's Brand
109872_0688 Bellower
109872_0689 Cauterizer
109872_0690 Steamsmash
109872_0691 Grawlgrinder
109872_0692 Chromecurve
109872_0693 Pulleybow
109872_0694 Serrated Fate
109872_0695 Bent Circuit
109872_0696 Problem Solver
109872_0697 War Auger
109872_0698 Boregun
109872_0699 Bombard
109872_0700 Gladium Prod
109872_0701 Geared Maw
109872_0702 Impulse Spire
109872_0703 Chainblade
109872_0704 Legion's Light
109872_0705 Charr Alarm Clock
109872_0706 Weatherwrack
109872_0708 Short-Tailed Shot
109872_0709 Spitespewer
109872_0710 Darkdevoted Kris
109872_0711 Rota Misfortuna
109872_0713 Architeuthis
109872_0714 Sorrowmaker
109872_0715 Crowncrusher
109872_0716 Crack o' Red Dawn
109872_0717 Ominous Egg
109872_0718 Shell of Secrets
109872_0719 Returner's Gaff
109872_0720 Mournsword
109872_0721 Lantern of the Lost
109872_0722 Eerie Conch
109872_0723 Barnacle Scraper
109872_0724 Dutiful Armament
109872_0725 Ulix's Stoutbow
109872_0726 Artem's Needler
109872_0727 Cherub's Claw
109872_0728 Steelcharm
109872_0729 Centaur's Doom
109872_0730 Shieldbreaker
109872_0731 Balt's Pillar
109872_0732 Duma's Musket
109872_0733 Chorister's Virge
109872_0734 Sacred Circle
109872_0735 Croisier Guardant
109872_0736 Ayala's Rinblade
109872_0737 Lambent Sconce
109872_0738 Orison of Salma
109872_0739 Dolorous Axe
109872_0740 Disputation
109872_0741 Redeye Maul
109872_0742 Bloomboom
109872_0743 Dendritic Avenger
109872_0744 Gravelgun
109872_0745 Tarnished Hewer
109872_0746 Housebreaker
109872_0747 Boltcaster
109872_0748 Forkfang
109872_0749 Nucleus
109872_0750 Veinbreaker
109872_0751 Pulse Hammer
109872_0752 Slatebound Star
109872_0753 Rock Carbine
109872_0754 Runerod
109872_0755 Immutabilis
109872_0756 Discharging Pole
109872_0757 Tuneblade
109872_0758 Phosphor Brand
109872_0759 Cragvox

Katoki

oh neat the patch is up? I'll take a break to check it out :)

I don't know what that means. their level of interaction will be up to them if they decide to join.

I'm saying that from where I come in WvW and wanting something interesting to happen if it ever will, what if we're not doing squat towards WvW when they are online? I know in general we have less than a handful of people in it at a time and this is assuming they're in their for their own reasons and not for cohesive group play. This is why I'm saying we're not a great exposure to them except for reinforcing the view that people only play WvW casually.

The people that spend their entire time playing in that game mode sure don't agree. There are a lot of thankless things that go on in WvW that many people aren't aware of and it's understandable. It's because a huge portion of the population never does the boring map maintenance but tell off/get peeved at the people who do when things go wrong.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
the people that spend their entire time playing in that game mode aren't the only people who play that game mode. I freely admit I don't know what that last sentence meant at all, but the adopt a dev concept was not stated to be intended only or primarily for hardcore guilds.

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls
What better way to lure in new players than to make them play through the tutorial with only one attack, the 1 skill.

Katoki

the people that spend their entire time playing in that game mode aren't the only people who play that game mode. I freely admit I don't know what that last sentence meant at all, but the adopt a dev concept was not stated to be intended only or primarily for hardcore guilds.

That's the problem. It's the dedicated ones that're disappearing in droves while the new players are intimidated as heck. I don't blame people for getting discouraged when they get lost or stray off or don't respond fast enough and accidentally get run over by a zerg because of the safety in numbers bit we humans flock to instinctively. Plus, GAF only has a handful of people that follow the zerg for that matter as well.

What good would going after a WvW dev be if we already have devs that see the general picture we provide as is?

Proven

New Aura: Light Aura
  • Gain 2 seconds of retaliation when struck. (Cooldown: 1 second)
  • Apply 8 seconds of vulnerability when struck.
Light Field:
  • Leaping through a light field now grants 5 seconds of light aura.

That's... interesting. And Blasts don't create Light Auras at all? Still... interesting. (I want a Dark Aura for my Well Necro)

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
with a lowered experience curve to 15 I'm not sure the newbie "babbymode" adaptations are all that big a deal. they did create a dodging tutorial as well. but whatever, i'm sure I could be missing the ways in which this will hurt new players. i just know those changes aren't for me, even the level 1 version of me.

new runes/sigils
Superior Sigil of Cleansing:
Remove 1 condition when you swap to this weapon while in combat.

Superior Sigil of Cruelty:
Gain a charge of +10 ferocity each time you kill a foe—five if you kill an enemy player.

Superior Rune of Evasion:
+25 Ferocity
When executing a dodge roll, you gain 3 seconds of swiftness.
+50 Ferocity
When executing a dodge roll, you gain 3 seconds of fury.
+100 Ferocity
When executing a dodge roll, deal a crippling strike to nearby enemies.

Superior Rune of the Trapper:
+25 Condition Damage
The duration of conditions you apply last 10% longer.
+50 Condition Damage
When you use a trap skill, gain 3 seconds of super speed.
+100 Condition Damage
Gain 3 seconds of stealth when using a trap skill.

Superior Rune of Radiance:
+25 Vitality
When you receive an aura, you gain 5 seconds of swiftness.
+50 Vitality
When you use a heal skill, you gain 4 seconds of light aura.
+100 Vitality
The duration of auras you apply are increased by 33%.

Worth checking out, potentially farmable:
Gendarran Fields:
The Harathi centaurs and their allies have called in elite reinforcements and champions to assist them in capturing Nebo Terrace from the Seraph.
The event “Prevent the centaurs from capturing Nebo Terrace” has been upgraded to a group event.
The event “Prevent the centaurs from capturing Nebo Terrace” now grants a daily reward on event success.
I always liked that event.

World Boss convenience:
Improved world boss targeting:
Increased tab selection priority for world bosses.
Improved in-world click selection for world bosses.
World bosses can now be selected by clicking on the corresponding health bar in the event panel.
Increased automatic deselection range for world bosses.
nice touch.

Item names:
Items with skins applied through the wardrobe now use the name of their skin.
Fuck yes, that's all I needed :X

Pretty good mechanical changes to WvW
Dead players can no longer linger on the ground indefinitely and will be forced to respawn at a portal keep after 5 minutes.
Area-of-effect revive skills no longer revive NPCs from dead.
Players no longer get stuck in siege weapons for a few seconds after building them.
Fixed an issue that prevented objective upgrade events from displaying after a new build.
All boons are now removed when entering a siege golem.
World vs. World dialog polish:
Fixed stretched texture on travel buttons.
Travel buttons now accurately reflect status, including being disabled if clicking the button would fail.

With the death of keyfarming here is our balm:
Black Lion Chest Changes:
Removed the following items from Black Lion Chests:
Scroll of Knowledge (+1 skill point)
Essence of Luck (50)
Essence of Luck (100)
Basic Dye Pack drops rates have been reduced by half.

Added the following items as uncommon drops from Black Lion Chests:
Flame Dye Kit
Frost Dye Kit
Deathly Dye Kit
Toxic Dye Kit
Metallurgic Dye Kit
Lion’s Arch Survivor Dye Kit
Lion’s Arch Commemorative Dye Kit
Heavy Crafting Bag
Large Crafting Bag
Medium Crafting Bag
Utility Primer
Weapon Tickets and Weapon Ticket Scraps have increased drop rates.
All minis, backpacks, endless tonics, and permanent contracts have slightly increased drop rates.
Interesting.

The balance changes are rather long. Lots to sift through.

Callunah

Neo Member

Callunah

Neo Member
.....but the adopt a dev concept was not stated to be intended only or primarily for hardcore guilds.

A agree with you Hawk.. the Adopt a dev seems to be just a fun way to be able to play a game with some of the people responsible for all the of the fun we are (or should be) having in the world that THEY created. Let's just be fun and friendly and play as always... we don't have to impress them or "show" them anything. =)

Minamu

Game crashed as I was searching for Dwayna in the TP (on someone's /map suggestion, maybe trolled me into a known CTD?). I need my daily challenges!

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
That's the problem. It's the dedicated ones that're disappearing in droves while the new players are intimidated as heck. I don't blame people for getting discouraged when they get lost or stray off or don't respond fast enough and accidentally get run over by a zerg because of the safety in numbers bit we humans flock to instinctively. Plus, GAF only has a handful of people that follow the zerg for that matter as well.

What good would going after a WvW dev be if we already have devs that see the general picture we provide as is?
I apologize that I am having a lot of trouble seeing where you are coming from. I would certainly like to do anything possible to make WvW less intimidating for new players and feel like I have valid feedback I could provide if prompted for it in that arena. But the initiative was to experience the upcoming tournament alongside a variety of guilds; there is no prompting for specific feedback or only seeking input from certain types of players. Our guild is no less valid than any other merely because it is less hardcore. I am certain they will be getting input and perspective from plenty of that sort of guild and it might well be beneficial for some to spend time with others too.

Truth be told, it doesn't state or even necessarily seem like they are looking for feedback at all. It just states that they wanted to get outside their comfort zones and play within some guilds. I like the devs I have met so far and it sounds to me like it would be fun to play with one in WvW. They are free to decide if our guild isn't ideal for taking part in this initiative or to play with us to whatever degree they wish.

Katoki

I apologize that I am having a lot of trouble seeing where you are coming from. I would certainly like to do anything possible to make WvW less intimidating for new players and feel like I have valid feedback I could provide if prompted for it in that arena. But the initiative was to experience the upcoming tournament alongside a variety of guilds; there is no prompting for specific feedback or only seeking input from certain types of players. Our guild is no less valid than any other merely because it is less hardcore. I am certain they will be getting input and perspective from plenty of that sort of guild and it might well be beneficial for some to spend time with others too.

Truth be told, it doesn't state or even necessarily seem like they are looking for feedback at all. It just states that they wanted to get outside their comfort zones and play within some guilds. I like the devs I have met so far and it sounds to me like it would be fun to play with one in WvW. They are free to decide if our guild isn't ideal for taking part in this initiative or to play with us to whatever degree they wish.

I fully understand the part where they choose the amount of time and when and how they want to interact. I'm just saying that when they do, I don't exactly see any of us in there to begin with. They'd basically be going in much like one of us would if we wanted to follow a zerg for a while. Our guild isn't exactly useful if they're going to do that. They can do that without a guild.

0u7sMPp.png

My working 8xAA override settings for GW2 in case anyone needs after the patch.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I fully understand the part where they choose the amount of time and when and how they want to interact. I'm just saying that when they do, I don't exactly see any of us in there to begin with. They'd basically be going in much like one of us would if we wanted to follow a zerg for a while. Our guild isn't exactly useful if they're going to do that. They can do that without a guild.
I'm still not getting it. I'm sorry, I'm not trying to be dense. I plan to play during this upcoming tournament and i'm sure a few others will as well. I'd prefer to group us up and run together rather than join a zerg in the first place. It would be awesome if a dev wanted to join us. If not, so be it.

Proven

Runes of Resistance and Altruism added to PvP.

PvP also finally gets the Assassin Amulet!

Also:

World vs. World
  • Dead players can no longer linger on the ground indefinitely and will be forced to respawn at a portal keep after 5 minutes.
  • Area-of-effect revive skills no longer revive NPCs from dead.
Was the bolded known before? Pretty much every profession specific balance change was already revealed on Skill Bar episodes beforehand.

Retro

Ahem...

There is an obvious consistency to the names of some if those datamined weapons (barking dog / barking wolf / distemper) that makes me think they might be upgradable (ala Maudrey) or there's a precursor / legendary thing going on.

Also, I don't know what "Mourneblade" even looks like and I know I kinda want it.

Katoki

Ahem...

There is an obvious consistency to the names of some if those datamined weapons (barking dog / barking wolf / distemper) that makes me think they might be upgradable (ala Maudrey) or there's a precursor / legendary thing going on.

Also, I don't know what "Mourneblade" even looks like and I know I kinda want it.

Inspired by Arthas.

Edit: Hey Lump. It makes a difference if you don't use sparse grid supersampling?

Due to the games lack of AA options within the game, 4x and 8x Anti-Aliasing show no real difference between the two when using Sparse Grid Supersampling or Supersampling — so if possible avoid going any higher than 4x AA.

http://ipkonfig.com/guild-wars-2-bringing-antialiasing-to-the-game

nataku

Well, the SMAA injector I used no longer works. It's either FXAA or nothing for me. My system can't handle the AA override.

Terrible patch now that they took away my AA. They really need to get rid of FXAA in favor or something better.

Arcteryx

Not liking the TP changes honestly, especially how my "already listed" items aren't shown in the sell screen. It only matches lowest price now and shows a small amount of prices above that. I've got a large chunk of ecto listed and it doesn't allow me to add to my currently listed. Obviously I can just enter in a value...but wtf. So now, instead of simply clicking a radio button to add them to my current sales, I have to go look-up what I'm selling them at...

Also, the number of clicks required to list stuff is...REALLY going to get tiresome. As if this game needed anymore clicking...

On another note, they changed the steel and seasoned wood weapons to have "goldish" looking metallic bits.

Morokh

Staff is the only one I can see myself buying, and only if it's cheap.

They are marked as 'free to apply' in the wardrobe which is as weird as it is interesting.

New crafting backpacks are really cheap to make, and make for a good starter exotic one, but it seems there is sormething borked with the exotic versions.
Can't put an upgrade in it and they have Ascended infusion slots.

Arcteryx

Yea I really like the look of the radiant chest pieces, just wish you could dye some parts :/

The light male variant is especially cool.
hNYbTYV.png

Levyne

Banned
Collections are going to keep some people busy for a long time. I might worry about it more once all the big winter games have come and gone.

What you said would be true if everybody was like you. Unfortunately, not everybody is like you.

Some 80 didn't even know how to dodge which is why they added daily dodger. Other examples, brown bear rangers and players that only stayed in fire EVER.

Minamu

I would absolutely love to know why this happens :lol

Two questions: In the video above from that Potatoes guy, you can see when he shows off the new Commander badges that he has over 10000 gold and almost 100k badges of honor. How the hell has he accomplished that?

And like some might've seen in the guild chat, my fps is dropping to at least 6 frames in WvW, making it pretty much unplayable. Granted, I'm playing at 1080p but I don't think lowering the resolution has done much in the past (and it makes the game look terrible on my tv for some reason, even though it should support 720p). My other graphical settings are now at none or low across the board and I haven't seen any major improvements so far :/
Buy a new PC for god's sake :D

Jira

They have the data to back up the reasons for these changes. For us as veterans of the game and even seasoned gamers, it makes no sense, but for people who may be new to gaming or MMOs in general, it's something that can make or break whether or not they even make it out of the first zone. They have data that tells them for trials or new accounts when and where people quit. These changes are in response to that.

Levyne

Banned
I would absolutely love to know why this happens :lol

Two questions: In the video above from that Potatoes guy, you can see when he shows off the new Commander badges that he has over 10000 gold and almost 100k badges of honor. How the hell has he accomplished that?

And like some might've seen in the guild chat, my fps is dropping to at least 6 frames in WvW, making it pretty much unplayable. Granted, I'm playing at 1080p but I don't think lowering the resolution has done much in the past (and it makes the game look terrible on my tv for some reason, even though it should support 720p). My other graphical settings are now at none or low across the board and I haven't seen any major improvements so far :/
Buy a new PC for god's sake :D

He also had 10k laurels iirc. So don't dwell on it.

Curious to see my performance and if sweetfx still works

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom