• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT4| The only subscription you need is this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mxrz

Working on the personal story of some of my characters, I've been reminded of how much I enjoy Guild Wars lore and stuff. Next Spring will make it ten (!) years I've spent "in" Tyria. But there is so much unexplored in the setting. The coolest thing about Nightfall and Factions was exploring an entire new set of cultures and lands. New characters, villains, societies.

But now everything is about Dragons. F'ing boring ass, seen them since the 70s, fantasy dragons. It seems like such a waste. I hated the thought of "Elder Dragons!" when they first mentioned. I was worried it would mean we would never see anything like Shiro's Curse, or Abbadon's rebirth, or Joko's rise again. So far it seems accurate. Just dragons. Dragon's lackies. Dragon's plots. Dragon's Dragons.

Blargh.

I am hopeful any Future Retail Content will somehow ignore these non-descript forces of nature and give us an actual charismatic villain.
Named Palawa Joko
Just something. Anything to bring variety back to the game.

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
School and work makes for no time for GW2 :(

<--- this is me all the time now.

The last couple updates look really great though.

I am hopeful any Future Retail Content will somehow ignore these non-descript forces of nature and give us an actual charismatic villain.

Have you perhaps heard of Scarlet Briar? Because have no doubt, in the deluded mind of whoever is writing the story, that is what she was.

Moondrop

Banned
Finally got around to testing this ranger zerker longbow BS in sPvP. Great 1v1 potential against many builds, but seems pretty trivial to me otherwise.

Also going back to pairing SB with D/P instead of P/D on thief. Not being able to proc C&D off objects is part of it, but mostly the versatility of SB just feels comfortable.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Is the champion loot bag collection gone? I've been opening these centaur bags as well as the champ centaur bag...

Thorgal

So heres a question to kill time :

When we go and beat up Mord , should the fight be a world event ( like teq ) or an instanced one OR be the story part of a new 5 man Dungeon ?

Levito

Banned
Do you folks think ArenaNet would will ever add new classes to the game? XIV's next giant update is adding one, kind of got me wondering if that'd ever happen in GW2.

Zeroth

Do you folks think ArenaNet would will ever add new classes to the game? XIV's next giant update is adding one, kind of got me wondering if that'd ever happen in GW2.

It has been mentioned at some point, yes (and we are missing a Heavy Armor, Medium HP class), but it's hard to say if it's truly coming. I picture we will get stuff like more weapon options for each class before that though.

JonCha

It has been mentioned at some point, yes (and we are missing a Heavy Armor, Medium HP class), but it's hard to say if it's truly coming. I picture we will get stuff like more weapon options for each class before that though.

On a similar note, I wondered if they will ever add new areas as they did with expansions in GW1. We're two years (?) after release now, so we're due aren't we?

Levito

Banned
On a similar note, I wondered if they will ever add new areas as they did with expansions in GW1. We're two years (?) after release now, so we're due aren't we?

There's still giant portions of the overworld map that aren't accessible in any form, I'd imagine that they're there for that reason.

I know ArenaNet probably wont do an expansion, but I really wish they would. Would be a great way to draw in a lot of new players. Plus just seeing how talented the team is with free updates, I can't imagine how awesome a big expansions content would be.

I don't know what to say about ANET, they hate money or something, i am sure 90% of the Vets playing is dying for an expansion, expansion bring us new classes, races, and world to explore.

Zeroth

To be honest, we don't really know if they won't do an expansion. After the latest LS episode where
Trahearne comments about how the Pact was going to Crystal Desert before Mordemoth showed up
, I feel they might release the next dragon as an expansion, featuring your favorite region, Cantha.

ANET needs to announce more long term plans, like are they sticking to the seasons format or they gonna do something else.

The wait till November seems so long.

Luckily I have Destiny to for when I'm bored of GW2.

I like the episodic updates but the breaks in between seem too long.

Davedough

Just wanted to throw out a big thanks again for the GAF members who helped me get some bags last night. I'm an extreme noob in this game, only got it at the tail end of August and have been playing slowly to get my Ranger up to (currently) lvl 27. I was suffering with 4 4-slot bags for the longest time and GAF Guildies stepped up and mailed me a bunch en masse. I'm sorry, I don't remember all the names since I only ever see a bunch of you talking in yellow about things I have no idea about. I'll return that favor one day to any guild member in need.

Levito

Banned
Expansions also bring in a lot of hype in general. Like I'll probably never sub to WoW again, but the latest trailer has actually made me consider it just because it's something big and new.

Luckily I have Destiny to for when I'm bored of GW2.

Oh man, I'm already got so burned out on that game. It needs a Diablo 3 ROS level of update to fix all the problems.

Expansions also bring in a lot of hype in general. Like I'll probably never sub to WoW again, but the latest trailer has actually made me consider it just because it's something big and new.

Out of curiosity, do you get a "free month" when you buy the xpac for monthly fee games like wow?

Retro

Mumble is currently down, we're investigating. We're getting the "Unknown" status which usually points to a network outage or DDoS attack.

Haven't played in a long time. Longed in and had a boost to 20. Now I have a ranger but Grank Kaar lives again!

Let us know if you want an invite to GAFGuild, just post your name.####.

So heres a question to kill time :

When we go and beat up Mord , should the fight be a world event ( like teq ) or an instanced one OR be the story part of a new 5 man Dungeon ?

In my opinion, we shouldn't ever fight him.

Elder Dragons are supposed to be like hurricanes or earthquakes, and you can't just punch them into submission. All you can do is ride them out and minimize the damage they cause. That means killing off their minions so they cannot be effective and cutting off their supply of magic until they starve and fall back into slumber. They awaken as a response to too much magic in the world, which they devour until it's gone. It's sort of an environmentalist angle; give up magical advances or face the dragons (and on that note, I don't think Zhaitan is dead so much as depleted of energy).

So how would I handle the eventual defeat if not as an outright confrontation? Containment at two points; rebuild Lion's Arch as a shining, floating Bastion of the Free Races of Tyria. Elder Dragons can strike from anywhere, even the ground the city is built on, so the city should simply float like Rata Sum. At the core of this new city would be a tower that draws energy from the Ley Line and keeps it from flowing towards Mordremoth.

Then have events in Mordremoth's home zone(s) where his forces are constantly pushing out and being driven back in. Orr feels a bit like a constantly reoccuring D-Day where the various pact forces are organizing to land in enemy territory and establish a toehold on the beachhead. Mordremoth's territory should feel like the Maginot Line; an enormous defensive perimeter, attempting to hold down more territory than is realistically possible. The Meta event in that area should be the exact opposite of Orr; instead of pushing in, you're facing constant incursions across the line that have to be driven back in, fortifications that need to be recaptured and rebuilt, sorties out into enemy territory to weaken their offensive positions.

Basically an ongoing Siege of Maguuma to keep Mordremoth from ever awakening again.

Yes, eventually. But when they do it will be a much more substantial chunk of content, not because GW2 is better than FFXIV but because the way GW2 handles professions is different and much more complex than in that game.

Classes are very different in FFXIV; you can change classes as many times as you want on the same character just by changing your weapon. That's actually how they handle crafting and gathering too; stuff like Blacksmith and Miner are considered classes as well that you independently level. Your class really just determines your stats and about a dozen or so skills you unlock as you level. There aren't any unique class mechanics like adrenaline, clones, life force, etc. to add, and since roles are heavily tied to the Trinity all you need to do is make sure it fills one role (the new Rogue class is strictly DPS).

Adding a new class to FFXIV is probably on the same level as adding a new weapon choice to each class in GW2 (there's just a lot less skills to add). Adding a new class to GW2 would be a heck of a lot more involved because you're not just adding a new flavor (FFXIV already has 5 DPS classes), but an entirely new gameplay type that has to fulfill all roles while avoiding feeling like any of the other existing professions' play style. For example, it would be very hard to add a "Death Knight" profession that doesn't feel like it's stepping on either Guardians (the heavily armored "Magic Melee" profession) or Necromancers (the "Fear / corruption / evil" profession).

Yep, in terms of difficulty it goes;
1. New weapon option (all skins and most animations exist, 16-40 new skills and trait revamp required.)
2. New weapon type (new skins, animations, 16-40 new skills and trait revamp required)
3. New Profession (all new gameplay mechanic, new animations and effects, new weapon / aquatic / heal / utility / elite skills, all new traits).

If I remember right, the reason they broke away from the GW1 model is that they burned out too quickly and couldn't spend the time they wanted to really flesh things out. They also felt that the tutorials required to explain the new layers each release added were going to become problematic.

Remember that over those two years we've seen a ton of small releases with rarely more than a month between them (and in some cases, less than two weeks). Their approach is to deliver healthy portions of content on a regular basis rather than periods of famine punctuated by feasts. They just need to work on the portion size so that they last longer than a weekend and make sure that there are things to do in the longer gaps.

I know ArenaNet probably wont do an expansion, but I really wish they would. Would be a great way to draw in a lot of new players.

There's no point in releasing an expansion if the same problems with the game that drove players away initially still exist. They need to release some kind of update that contains a bunch of features aimed at improving the new player experience...

/wink

Elder Dragons are supposed to be like hurricanes or earthquakes, and you can't just punch them into submission. All you can do is ride them out and minimize the damage they cause. That means killing off their minions so they cannot be effective and cutting off their supply of magic until they starve and fall back into slumber. They awaken as a response to too much magic in the world, which they devour until it's gone. It's sort of an environmentalist angle; give up magical advances or face the dragons (and on that note, I don't think Zhaitan is dead so much as depleted of energy).

So how would I handle the eventual defeat if not as an outright confrontation? Containment at two points; rebuild Lion's Arch as a shining, floating Bastion of the Free Races of Tyria. Elder Dragons can strike from anywhere, even the ground the city is built on, so the city should simply float like Rata Sum. At the core of this new city would be a tower that draws energy from the Ley Line and keeps it from flowing towards Mordremoth.

Then have events in Mordremoth's home zone(s) where his forces are constantly pushing out and being driven back in. Orr feels a bit like a constantly reoccuring D-Day where the various pact forces are organizing to land in enemy territory and establish a toehold on the beachhead. Mordremoth's territory should feel like the Maginot Line; an enormous defensive perimeter, attempting to hold down more territory than is realistically possible. The Meta event in that area should be the exact opposite of Orr; instead of pushing in, you're facing constant incursions across the line that have to be driven back in, fortifications that need to be recaptured and rebuilt, sorties out into enemy territory to weaken their offensive positions.

Basically an ongoing Siege of Maguuma to keep Mordremoth from ever awakening again.

That is a very nice idea indeed, kudos.
Problem is that, as is, the world is not at the point where such a setup would be the acceptable course of action.

What the world currently knows is that the dragon threat can be resolved through brute force, due to the way they tackled Zhaitan. Thus, in order to get to the stage where your plan can be implemented, first the major players would have to learn that dragons cannot be defeated, but only postponed/managed.

You can do this by either having the major entities killing a dragon, and thus showing that the consequences for such an action are far too horrid to contemplate doing again, oooor by reusing character models and engaging in a NEGHA-ZHAIHTHANH RE-RHISES STRHONKERHER event, which will repeat until the powers that be wise up to the fact that head-on collisions will only spell their eventual doom.

Either way, first they must fail at direct aggression before they consider other strategies. Which they truly haven't yet. They're in the "power of friendship + green marysue conquer all" stage.

Or they have and i've skipped over the lore again. i dunno. Wiki sez DE just nuked the oversized necro-chicken with anti-oversized necro-chicken ammo.

There's no point in releasing an expansion if the same problems with the game that drove players away initially still exist. They need to release some kind of update that contains a bunch of features aimed at unfucking the new player experience...

/wink

fixed.

Levito

Banned
There's no point in releasing an expansion if the same problems with the game that drove players away initially still exist. They need to release some kind of update that contains a bunch of features aimed at improving the new player experience...

/wink

Feature packs can't generate the same level of interest that an expansion can though, regardless of "improvements". Just look how many people say that they'll never play WoW again, then Blizzard releases a CGI trailer for a new expansion and everyone's all like "just when I thought I was out, they pull me back in".

Personally, I'd just like to see what the Anet content teams would do with an expansion.

That would make a terrible finale for any dragons.

I get your viewpoint, but seems so dull for a videogame not to have a "final boss".
Classes are very different in FFXIV; you can change classes as many times as you want on the same character just by changing your weapon.
I play FFXIV at times, and god I wish GW2 also had an optional class changing system for those who don't care about alts and other races.

I play my Asura like 95% of the time, while my alts are chopping trees.
Thing is, I wish my Asura Warrior could insta change into a Guardian at times for fractal, or turn into a Mesmer for some dungeon runs.

Let me have the option to stick with a single "hero" and have access to all classes and crafts. Monetize class changing if you want, but add it.

nataku

I play FFXIV at times, and god I wish GW2 also had an optional class changing system for those who don't care about alts and other races.

I play my Asura like 95% of the time, while my alts are chopping trees.
Thing is, I wish my Asura Warrior could insta change into a Guardian at times for fractal, or turn into a Mesmer for some dungeon runs.

Let me have the option to stick with a single "hero" and have access to all classes and crafts. Monetize class changing if you want, but add it.

Yep, this is one thing I absolutely loved about FFXI and FFXIV. I'm not big on alts, I tend to stick with one character and do everything I can on them. I'd love to be able to level up different professions on the same character.

Hell, I wish I could do it with personal stories, too. Give me an item to buy from the gem store to reset my character, but keep my inventory and whatnot. Make up some random back story about how the character is a descendant or something. They could tie it into the makeover kit if they want.

o5rKkSn.png

markot

Banned
Feature packs can't generate the same level of interest that an expansion can though, regardless of "improvements". Just look how many people say that they'll never play WoW again, then Blizzard releases a CGI trailer for a new expansion and everyone's all like "just when I thought I was out, they pull me back in".

Personally, I'd just like to see what the Anet content teams would do with an expansion.
That trailer was trailerrible.

You mean gear for each class ?

I'd figure equipped armor could stay on each class, so each time you swap class it would be wearing what you last had equipped.

Wouldn't it be easier to just remove levels from the game?

Tbh sometimes i just wish I could play pve like pvp. Grab a class, pick the type of gear you want, set traits, go to town. Baseline exo.

Retro

What the world currently knows is that the dragon threat can be resolved through brute force, due to the way they tackled Zhaitan. Thus, in order to get to the stage where your plan can be implemented, first the major players would have to learn that dragons cannot be defeated, but only postponed/managed.

That knowledge doesn't need to be earned through experience, however. For example, it can come from the Pale Tree in a bit of exposition (all of our 'visions' thus far put her at the center of everything, right?). It could come from Marjory and Kasmeer, who are digging around in the Priory during the break.

That would actually be an interesting way of getting the Pact out of the way as an organization; they have to go back to Orr to work on containing Zhaitan while he's still weakened, meaning it falls to the players and their tenuous alliance to work on Mordremoth.

Well, some of the things genuinely were bugs, and those have been getting fixed, so... Yeah. I still believe that experienced players are unable to comment accurately on the changes simply because they're not new players. Where we see tedium and unnecessarily drawn out advancement, a new player sees the game gently easing them into the MMO-isms we've been taking for granted for more than a decade.

You misunderstand me. I was pointing out that before a GW2 expansion can be released, something needed to be done about player retention. If one of the goals of an expansion is to bring people back, fixing the problems that drove them away initially has to happen first. The last feature pack did that, or at least attempted to do it, which means the horse and cart are now properly configured.

That would make a terrible finale for any dragons.

I get your viewpoint, but seems so dull for a videogame not to have a "final boss".

For a traditional videogame, absolutely. For an MMO, it makes perfect sense because their plot has to continue onwards for years or potentially, decades. Look at World of Warcraft, and how many times another All Powerful Evil has come back and is totally worse than the last All Powerful Evil. Or you have villains who are defeated and somehow keep coming back over and over and over again (which is even worse).

Keeping the primal Elder Dragons around as a constant menace that is always threatening to break loose in new ways is a good way to keep a central theme that can expand outward. For example, as much as we hate Scarlet as a character and her storyline was a complete jumble, once the pieces were finally revealed it became obvious that Mordremoth is always one Sylvari away from unleashing chaos on the world. I don't think we'll see another Scarlet, but we know there are other Pale Trees and the Nightmare Court (and we don't even know if they're independently evil or under the influence of the dragon yet). How cool would it be a few years from now to have an army of evil Sylvari march out of Maguuma as part of a new dragon plot?

That actually meshes well with ArenaNet's approach to keeping their existing zones relevant.

As another example, what is the relationship between Palawa Joko and Zhaitan? Can Joko gain more power by attacking Zhaitan? Can Zhaitan exert some level of control over Joko? If Zhaitan is a constant threat, weak but always potentially plotting to rise again, there's potential plotlines down the road in which it can happen and make sense within the context of Guild Wars's world rather than just the "Villain of the Week" approach WoW has where somebody new magically appears to threaten the world.

Otherwise, we're going to kill all of the elder dragons and then have nobody left to fight.

Ashodin

not just evil, enhanced Sylvari. They look beastly and overgrown. Crazy eyed, muttering crazy madness things when you fight them, similar to the nightmare court when they hooked up with the krait.

Kingbrave

Mumble is currently down, we're investigating. We're getting the "Unknown" status which usually points to a network outage or DDoS attack.

Let us know if you want an invite to GAFGuild, just post your name.####.

vabrave.5390

I was in it at launch but after I hit 80 on my warrior I got bored.

Retro

not just evil, enhanced Sylvari. They look beastly and overgrown. Crazy eyed, muttering crazy madness things when you fight them, similar to the nightmare court when they hooked up with the krait.

Right, the potential for there to be all sorts of weird plant people grown from different, corrupted forms of the Pale Tree is pretty cool. That sort of thing could happen as we push deeper into Maguuma, or it could happen years later as another attempt by the Elder Dragon to gain strength.

I'm just saying... don't kill all of your villains.

vabrave.5390

I was in it at launch but after I hit 80 on my warrior I got bored.

Invite sent, check your guild panel next time you log in.

That knowledge doesn't need to be earned through experience, however. For example, it can come from the Pale Tree in a bit of exposition (all of our 'visions' thus far put her at the center of everything, right?). It could come from Marjory and Kasmeer, who are digging around in the Priory during the break.

Can you see Charr, Norn or Asura following whatever a giant carrot and two humans say, before getting their teeth kicked in? o_ô

Tbh, i can't even see the humans following it. As far as they know, they dropped da bomb, and they won. They're the US before the soviets also got nukes.

Retro

Mumble is back up for the moment, sorry for the interruption in service.

Can you see Charr, Norn or Asura following whatever a giant carrot and two humans say, before getting their teeth kicked in? o_ô

Tbh, i can't even see the humans following it. As far as they know, they dropped da bomb, and they won. They're the US before the soviets also got nukes.

That's a pretty fair assessment, yeah. We as players buy it, but getting the other races onboard would be much harder. Of course, getting all of the races to attend the summit was a bit of a longshot too, and even then there was a lot of foot dragging.

We'll see, but it's certainly an angle worth trying to play in my opinion.

It really is.

I've said it before and I'll say it again; a LOT of it is just the way Guild Wars 2 is designed. To use a relevant example from today, from the Archage thread;

Why hasn't GAF chosen a server yet? the longer you take, the more people will be invested in their own servers.

This is true. I'd love to play with gaf, but I'm not leaving tahyang now.

We don't have to deal with that. Apart from the NA/ EU split and World vs. World, everyone can play with everyone else at any time. With guesting and now megaservers, there's never a point where you're stuck somewhere you don't want to be, unable to play with the people you want to play with.

Same with multi-guilding; you can be in GAF for missions / dungeons / fun and still join your hardcore WvW buddies or have a friends-and-family guild. Same with the distinct lack of raids (nobody fights / politics / backstabs each other to get into the exclusive raiding club). Same with the way it values accounts over individual characters. The game is built to make playing together easy.

I don't think people give ArenaNet enough credit for just how big of a deal this is, especially as MMOs have since been released afterwards with the same old broken server architecture. It makes their faults all the more obvious.

One of the reasons GAFGuild has been so successful for so long without any major disruptions is because the game makes it ridiculously easy to manage a guild. All we do is make sure people are treating each other respectfully, invite new members and make sure guild missions run twice a week. It's a far cry from the kind of crap I had to do on a weekly basis managing a guild in WoW.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom