• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT4| The only subscription you need is this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jira

"fastest selling" is one of the weakest accolades to slap onto a product, bleh

Eh not really when you think about how many MMOs have existed and they have the record for selling the most out the gate. It carries some kind of marketing weight I'm sure.

Lunar15

It really is. It's definitely not a statistic you should tout 2 years after the game has released, that's for sure.

Also, it's misleading in an era where there's a lot of F2P MMO's and it's one of the few B2P MMO's in the market.

Korten

Banned
I really want Guild housing, since like in FFXIV, It's cool to sort of relax in and see fellow Guild members hanging about.

Levito

Banned
Eh not really when you think about how many MMOs have existed and they have the record for selling the most out the gate. It carries some kind of marketing weight I'm sure.

What does it really mean at the end of the day though? It sold a bunch at launch or over a period of time?

I mean Nicki Minaj's music is "fast selling", that doesn't mean it's good. Fastest selling tells you nothing about the actual game.

Thorgal

I took this look from the GW2 style site so i cannot take credit for it but i loved it so much , i took it for My Ranger .

gw22014-09-2322-39-28txz65.jpg

gw22014-09-2322-40-38phl8v.jpg

gw22014-09-2322-43-467xbnq.jpg

It really is. It's definitely not a statistic you should tout 2 years after the game has released, that's for sure.

Also, it's misleading in an era where there's a lot of F2P MMO's and it's one of the few B2P MMO's in the market.

I know right, look at all those books that have best sellers on them. I agree it is a weak accolade.

The point being, you might think it is weak but how many MMO can claim it? Look at Activision trying to milk faster selling IP for destiny. It has value, whether you agree or not is not really relevant.

Going to try the free trial again. I played a free weekend in the past and wasn't feeling it, but I'll give it another shot. Worth it alone for Jeremy Soule's music :p

I'm surprised they aren't discounting the game during the trial period.

Levyne

Banned
I know right, look at all those books that have best sellers on them. I agree it is a weak accolade.

The point being, you might think it is weak but how many MMO can claim it? Look at Activision trying to milk faster selling IP for destiny. It has value, whether you agree or not is not really relevant.

It has some value, sure. It's not meritless. It's just loose.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Going to try the free trial again. I played a free weekend in the past and wasn't feeling it, but I'll give it another shot. Worth it alone for Jeremy Soule's music :p

I'm surprised they aren't discounting the game during the trial period.
Make sure you join the guild! Just post a character name in here

edit: I did a post on the "fastest-selling" business on the official forums once

It doesn't mean a whole lot in terms of quality, longevity or total sales but it's a strong indicator of popularity and especially market differentiation.

here:

"I just wanted to provide some clarity on the “fastest-selling of all time” issue. Also, I’ll thank killcannon for providing some contextual data to compare.

First, what does “fastest growing” mean? There are a variety of ways to measure it. Some would say that “sales within the first week” are all that should be considered. For our purposes, we can eschew a static timeframe that excludes data after a certain date in favor of “most copies sold in the shortest amount of time,” which we can compare fairly using reported sales numbers after a certain timeframe since release. That is, we can see both how many copies were sold by different games in the same period, as well as how long it took different games to reach the same sales threshold (if ever).

Two things we definitely have to acknowledge when making this metric determination are:

1) “…in the West”
and
2) Unless you count MMO expansions as individual games

some dude on the forums said:
"Then why is it when I google “fastest selling MMO” I keep getting SWTOR returns? You would think if what you said was true it would be bigger news.
This is problematic. You should never base any premise whatsoever on what you find as the top result for searching for a keyphrase on Google. For one thing, the phrase itself might be inadequate to obtain the results you’re looking for. For another, Google does not sort results by what is the most recent or the most accurate, but by which links have the highest PageRank.

News articles about SWTOR are rated highly by this algorithm. When SWTOR became the fastest-selling MMO of all time (which, in 2011, it did), it shattered the previous recordholder handily (in becoming the fastest-selling MMO, it also eclipsed the total sales of the previously fastest-selling games by a fair margin). This was a big deal!

However, it retained this record for less than a year, when it was overtaken by GW2. This is simply the fact of the scenario, not some kind of subjective assessment of what occurred. As to why it isn’t “bigger news,” I suppose it’s a fair question, but mainly one for the marketing department at ArenaNet. It might be a wise thing to base a campaign around during a free weekend/sale event.

edit (hawkian 2014 here): Google's PageRank has done its job in the interim, and now, if you search, you get this
same dude said:
Yes they sold 3 million fast, but they are not the fastest selling MMO of all time, that honor goes to SWTOR according to every other source I can find.

This is simply incorrect. And since you chose to say “according to every source,” I unfortunately have to question how much time you even spent looking.

SWTOR reached 2 million copies sold in four weeks, an incredibly impressive feat, especially considering the records it broke to reach that milestone. However, Guild Wars 2 accomplished this feat in just over two weeks. – and this timeframe also included a brief period when digital sales of the game were halted. It then went on to sell roughly another million in the remainder of 2012 which is significant because SWTOR simply never reached this figure at all. As of February 2012, EA was still sticking with an ‘over 2 million’ sales estimate, where the “active subscriber” pool was thought to have stabilized at 1.7 million.

Thus by either practical metric we might use based on this data- either “most sold within two weeks” or “shortest time to reach 3 million”- Guild Wars 2 wins handily and without much threat, at present, in the “fastest-growing MMO of all time” category (again, once you account for only the Western market, as well as not counting WoW’s expansions as individual games). In contrast, World of Warcraft, which was itself the fastest-selling PC game (not just MMO) at the time of its release, took roughly 8 months to reach 2 million subscribers and essentially, no other games are even a part of this discussion. EVE Online, notable for having consistent post-launch growth (like WoW, GW2 and no other MMOs at all ever in the West), has barely 500,000 subscribers total, and only crossed that line in 2013.

Regardless of how you feel about GW2 as a game, I hope we can all acknowledge these factual aspects of the MMO marketplace. Thanks for reading!"

*shrug*!

Levyne

Banned
Sorry if this is random and yet specific

But I was working on skin gathering and noticed that the WvW Armor Duder has a lot of various armor skins. I was able to add 50-60 for a "who cares" number of badges. The weapon master also has some T1-T2 skins if you'd rather pay with badges than Karma.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Still no fractal spoon.

Curse you, rng

Sorry if this is random and yet specific

But I was working on skin gathering and noticed that the WvW Armor Duder has a lot of various armor skins. I was able to add 50-60 for a "who cares" number of badges. The weapon master also has some T1-T2 skins if you'd rather pay with badges than Karma.

Yeah I unlocked plenty of skins from this guy.

Davedough

So I'm leveling a Ranger (first time playing) and I'm at 28 (hope to hit 30 by this weekend if my wife doesn't keep making plans for me). I've been keeping my gear within about 5 levels of my current level pretty easily through either finds or trade, but I've been specing for PvE with mostly Power and Precision. Is that correct? I'm not gimping myself am I? I'm using a Longbow/Jaguar and then swap to Sword/Warhorn when I need to. My secondary pet on land is a spider if I need range. Is that so far so good or should I be concentrating on something else?

Oh, and to Hawkian's post earlier. Davedough.8614 (I think, have to double check)

Levyne

Banned
So I'm leveling a Ranger (first time playing) and I'm at 28 (hope to hit 30 by this weekend if my wife doesn't keep making plans for me). I've been keeping my gear within about 5 levels of my current level pretty easily through either finds or trade, but I've been specing for PvE with mostly Power and Precision. Is that correct? I'm not gimping myself am I? I'm using a Longbow/Jaguar and then swap to Sword/Warhorn when I need to. My secondary pet on land is a spider if I need range. Is that so far so good or should I be concentrating on something else?

Oh, and to Hawkian's post earlier. Davedough.8614 (I think, have to double check)

Outside of Dagger offhand, my opinion is that Ranger doesn't really have a "why are you using that" weapon in PVE. Though I would give off-hand axe and GS a try, two of my favorite weapons. GS has a gap closer, stacks vuln well with maul and opening strikes, free evasion, a block/counter with cc and a stun/daze cc. Super versatile.

And yeah, going power / zerker is fine.

As for not gimping yourself, well, you've already decided to play Ranger

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls

Pump it all into power/precision/ferocity when leveling, power being most important. Between longbow's range and pet's tankiness you're fine in regards to defense. 1-79 leveling is balanced for the worst builds. Some of the level-up rewards for 40+ are yellow/orange items so you have that to look forward to as a gear upgrade.

Fantastic. MH sword's autoattack is so damn janky, my Norn looks like he's having a crapattack.

I've never been able to deal with the flipping, especially compared to Mesmer's sword attacks being so still in comparison. Makes positioning much harder because you need to compensate for the break dancing.

Thorgal

Pump it all into power/precision/ferocity when leveling, power being most important. Between longbow's range and pet's tankiness you're fine in regards to defense. 1-79 leveling is balanced for the worst builds. Some of the level-up rewards for 40+ are yellow/orange items so you have that to look forward to as a gear upgrade.

I thought precision was the most important stat for Ranger with power a close second ?

Shanlei91

I thought precision was the most important stat for Ranger with power a close second ?

Ya, but he's just leveling. Crit chance is so low before you get all your traits / jewlery that you might as well pump into power.

(So take note, precision at 80!)

Levyne

Banned

Well, sure it's important but Ranger's have good Fury uptime anyway (on swap, warhorn, rampage as one, maybe red moa), are probably slotting 4 or 5 points into the skirmishing line if they are a damage build and are running Spotter anyways. So I don't think it's that helpful to slot much into something like Assassin's gear.

Edit: I'm also running Ranger runes too, though

Well, sure it's important but Ranger's have good Fury uptime anyway (on swap, warhorn, rampage as one, maybe red moa), are probably slotting 4 or 5 points into the skirmishing line if they are a damage build and are running Spotter anyways. So I don't think it's that helpful to slot much into something like Assassin's gear.

Edit: I'm also running Ranger runes too, though
And that's what I did with my ranger at 80, but I haven't played my ranger since the ferocity change but at the time it was quite nice to have that gear for the crits that seemed almost constant. But really what do I know I just play my Ele and burn things up now.

Katoki

Is it bad that I no longer care? I do kind of feel bad for Weyrleader and the other Cat Biscuits folks though since I no longer participate actively.

Mxrz

I can't say I'm losing sleep over it. I'm more looking forward to the end of the tournament. YB will get paired with SoS and FA in tier 2, and tier 3 & 4 can have some more even matches.

Neo Dark

Hey as of tonight me and Roxie has started a new thing for Gaf guild. Some of you guys missed out on it but you won't miss it anymore because now everyone will know about it. I even made a banner for you guys to use on the front page.

x2999v7d8dpg5p66g.jpg

DrAg0nBoY

Hey, could you perhaps send an invite to a friend of mine who is trying out GW2? His name is StanlyXO.8064.

Dunno if he will buy the game, but for the trial version if he can stay in the guild. Thanks.

Retro

Hey as of tonight me and Roxie has started a new thing for Gaf guild. Some of you guys missed out on it but you won't miss it anymore because now everyone will know about it. I even made a banner for you guys to use on the front page.

You blew it, it's clearly "GAFter Dark."

Niiiiice.

Hey, could you perhaps send an invite to a friend of mine who is trying out GW2? His name is StanlyXO.8064.

Dunno if he will buy the game, but for the trial version if he can stay in the guild. Thanks.

Looks like Zed took care of this 3 hours ago. Be sure to let your friend know how to represent.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Yes, I finally have the fractal spoon

Now off to EotM to kill npcs for a spoon.

...why am I doing this for a measly 3AP and a bag of random items

Davedough

Finally made lvl 30 last night. Pretty excited that now I can do the AC dungeon. Guess its time to go to the wiki and start reading about Traits.

Oh, and the conversation last night was..... interesting.

Thorgal

Finally made lvl 30 last night. Pretty excited that now I can do the AC dungeon. Guess its time to go to the wiki and start reading about Traits.

Oh, and the conversation last night was..... interesting.

If you want to do a run with the guild just give a shout in guild chat .

Davedough

If you want to do a run with the guild just give a shout in guild chat .

Yeah, I think I'll be doing that. I've already got Hawkian on the line to run me through that dungeon and I'm pretty sure the interest for other guildies being there will be high.

I understand the boss drops lvl 80 gear, but is there a chance for me to get decent gear from the mobs at lvl 30? Or is it all mostly an experience/story run at my level?

Shanlei91

Yeah, I think I'll be doing that. I've already got Hawkian on the line to run me through that dungeon and I'm pretty sure the interest for other guildies being there will be high.

I understand the boss drops lvl 80 gear, but is there a chance for me to get decent gear from the mobs at lvl 30? Or is it all mostly an experience/story run at my level?

Gear is dropped scaled to your character's level. So expect lvl 30ish items!

Davedough

Gear is dropped scaled to your character's level. So expect lvl 30ish items!

Awesome! I can't wait! I'll probably be able to do something this weekend. From what I understand, for aggro control, its best to use melee on a ranger instead of longbow and keep your pet controlled and not on auto attack, is that correct?

Moondrop

Banned
You don't have to be melee necessarily; you can run SB or MH Axe in dungeons and still be in buff range of your party. LB is problematic specifically due to the range/damage mechanic of the auto-attack and indiscriminate use of the knockback skill.

Davedough

You don't have to be melee necessarily; you can run SB or MH Axe in dungeons and still be in buff range of your party. LB is problematic specifically due to the range/damage mechanic of the auto-attack and indiscriminate use of the knockback skill.

Good to know. I'm a noob and still learning combat mechanics, especially in groups, so I don't want to go in and cause a whole lot of trouble for others because I'm not versed enough in crowd control. I'd hate to get everyone killed =)

Shanlei91

Awesome! I can't wait! I'll probably be able to do something this weekend. From what I understand, for aggro control, its best to use melee on a ranger instead of longbow and keep your pet controlled and not on auto attack, is that correct?

Eh, if it's a run with a group made up of guild members just go crazy and make sure you or your pet isn't tapping enemies in groups you're not engaging.

Also, every mob in the game's aggro works differently. Some go after the player with most toughness, others go after strongest attacker, some go after certain classes first. Some go after who hit them, who hit them with melee vs range, etc. Generally proximity to the enemy plays a huge role. No one has bothered to study these aggro patterns across mobs because the number crunching most efficient way to get through the game is everyone does as much damage as possible. So people who "study" the game put their attention towards speed runs.

But the guild doesn't generally play that way, leading to a roller coaster of fun and wacky times. So play what you think is fun and what you think will contribute best to the group's efforts. Longbow does do a great deal of damage (with the most efficient damage dealing combo right now being a cycle between longbow & sword/horn) but be mindful of the knockback on the 4 weapon skill. A lot of classes rely on an enemy standing still to do the most damage and randomly knocking back and enemy is counter productive. Instead, use it for when an enemy should be knocked back (like an enemy on top of an ally you need to revive).

But as long as you let the group know it's your first time, someone will probably give you hints/tips and no one will get angry at you because they're too busy getting drunk at their keyboard/controller and as result are mellow.

Moondrop

Banned
Also, every mob in the game's aggro works differently. Some go after the player with most toughness, others go after strongest attacker, some go after certain classes first. Some go after who hit them, who hit them with melee vs range, etc. Generally proximity to the enemy plays a huge role. No one has bothered to study these aggro patterns across mobs because the number crunching most efficient way to get through the game is everyone does as much damage as possible.
Obviously aggro control in this game is inconsistent compared to traditional MMOs, but it's far from impossible. I find running up to a mob I want to aggro with my high toughness build and landing an attack gets their attention the vast majority of the time. Seems to cover most of the aggro-inducing possibilities, except strongest attacker of course.

BraXzy

Aww, I just hopped on and there's only a couple peeps on. Silly timezones. Where was my surprise welcome back party? :/

Oh.. and I may or may not have put in a buy order on a contract and forgot to take it off so most of my money is gone lmao.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom