• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT4| The only subscription you need is this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

JonCha

As the true leader of this Guild. I think you would be elligable as long as you are on an EU server right now.

Whilst I doubt your credentials to be the "true leader" (though please do correct me if I am wrong), I'm on Desolation. So yeah, an EU server.

Also bought the T2 cultural armour for my Sylvari. I'm liking it a lot. I have big doubts over whether T3 is worth the time and effort, especially for over 100 gold, even though I think (helmet aside) it looks much better.

Taffer

Also bought the T2 cultural armour for my Sylvari. I'm liking it a lot. I have big doubts over whether T3 is worth the time and effort, especially for over 100 gold, even though I think (helmet aside) it looks much better.

It is MANDATORY. Enjoy your T2 for a while though, spend money on useful things instead. Eventually you will see.
They all see.

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls
biggerhurrpskng.jpg

free reaction image for you guys to use in any GAF thread you wish

Is "lazy eye" a created character option via the gem store?

For newcomers wondering what class to choose:

Warrior = Rambo + Gimli
Guardian = Jesus + Thor
Thief = Ninja + Pirate
Ranger = Rexxar + Syrio
Engineer = Inspector Gadget + Green Goblin
Elementalist = Avatar The Last Airbender + Captain Planet
Necromancer = Lich King + Scarecrow (DC Comics)
Mesmer = Loki + Yoda

Ken

For newcomers wondering what class to choose:

Warrior = Rambo + Gimli
Guardian = Jesus + Thor
Thief = Ninja + Pirate
Ranger = Rexxar + Syrio
Engineer = Inspector Gadget + Green Goblin
Elementalist = Avatar The Last Airbender + Captain Planet
Necromancer = Lich King + Scarecrow (DC Comics)
Mesmer = Loki + Yoda

Hey, for the Zodiac set if I don't equip the headpiece that won't turn my character's head blue like in your image right?

Ken

Right, just equip another thing for the head.

Ok cool.

So I logged and I have no idea what to do.

Is there an overall item level stat anywhere or how do you tell if you are decently equipped compared to the average population? Also what should I be doing if I want better gear. I can get screens of my character's gear if that'll help.

I can't remember the last time I played; I think I quit shortly after they first implemented that diminishing returns on dungeon tokens system.

Zeroth

Ok cool.

Is there an overall item level stat anywhere or how do you tell if you are decently equipped compared to the average population? Also what should I be doing if I want better gear. I can get screens of my character's gear if that'll help.

I can't remember the last time I played; I think I quit shortly after they first implemented that diminishing returns on dungeon tokens system.

If you are lv 80 and using exotic gear, you are fine. Would you be interested in joining the GAF guild? It would be easier to help ya in-game, just post your character name and we'll get to it!

Levyne

Banned
Ok cool.

Is there an overall item level stat anywhere or how do you tell if you are decently equipped compared to the average population? Also what should I be doing if I want better gear.

It's pretty simple due to the nature of the horizontal progression. Level 80 exotic (orange) items are the "end game gear", and are what most max level characters wear. "Ascended" (pink text) gear was added for a slight boost, but is not necessary for any game content..

except high level fractals, and even then it's only to offset the agony mechanic and not for the slight stat bump.

So TL:DR, exotic gear.

Ken

If you are lv 80 and using exotic gear, you are fine. Would you be interested in joining the GAF guild? It would be easier to help ya in-game, just post your character name and we'll get to it!

Guilds are by character rather account right? I'm still trying to figure out which I want to play before I throw one in the guild.

It's pretty simple due to the nature of the horizontal progression. Level 80 exotic (orange) items are the "end game gear", and are what most max level characters wear. "Ascended" (pink text) gear was added for a slight boost, but is not necessary for any game content..

except high level fractals, and even then it's only to offset the agony mechanic and not for the slight stat bump.

So TL:DR, exotic gear.

I guess getting in on CoF speedruns paid off for my warrior lol. I'm pretty surprised they didn't add that much new gear in so long.

What's a good way to get exotics for my other classes though?

Levyne

Banned
Guilds are by character rather account right? I'm still trying to figure out which I want to play before I throw one in the guild.

I guess getting in on CoF speedruns paid off for my warrior lol.

Ah, sorry, I thought you didn't have or just got your first 80 character. Well, seems like you're warrior should be set then! Unless you want to work on armor sets for other builds or work out an ascended set.

Ken

CoF for zerk gear. TP for your assassin needs.
Badges from EotM for everything else.

Badges will also provide zerk gear tho, so EotM can supply pretty much anything.

What's zerk and assassin mean in this game? I have a necro and guardian I want to gear.

Oh wait my Guardian is in Knights Draconic gear so I guess that should be okay too lol.

Retro

By account, but you can belong to 5 guilds at once (you can only be active in one at a time though).

I'm pretty surprised they didn't add that much new gear in so long.

That's one of the best parts about GW2, there's no gear treadmill. It's all about cosmetics and playing for the sake of having fun, not because you have to keep up with everyone else or you can't experience the game's content.

Levyne

Banned
What's zerk and assassin mean in this game? I have a necro and guardian I want to gear.

Berserker ("Zerk') and Assassin Prefix for gear stat distribution.

Zerker:

Power (primary)
Precision
Ferocity

Assassin:

Precision (primary)
Power
Ferocity

Power=direct damage
Precision =Critical Change
Ferocity = Critical damage

Oh wait my Guardian is in Knights Draconic gear so I guess that should be okay too lol.

Knight's is a toughness primary so it could be good for defense builds. Though you'll hit for a bit less.

Ken

Berserker ("Zerk') and Assassin Prefix for gear stat distribution.

So I guess before gearing up, people decide if they want their _____ to be a zerker or assassin and then focus on that primary stat? What's popular for necro these days?

Also did they get rid of gear having superior runes from market board? :eek:

So I guess before gearing up, people decide if they want their _____ to be a zerker or assassin and then focus on that primary stat? What's popular for necro these days?

Also did they get rid of gear having superior runes from market board? :eek:

Not really. While there always the survivability concerns, if you're going balls to the walls dps, you'll try for 55-60% crit chance with as much power and ferocity as possible. For classes that have innate crit traits or signets, this is easy, and no assassin gear is needed. For the rest, you'll go half and half zerk and assassin, usually.

If memory serves, only guard, engie and ele need some degree of assassin. All the rest can go full zerk.

This is, of course, solely for PvE, and only after you're used to the dungeon, otherwise you'll die. A lot.

Ideally necros are dagger focus warhorn zerk, or axe focus warhorn lifeblast build. Tbh they're kinda passed over for pve since they bring okay dps and near zero utility. Doesnt make a difference if you run with GafGuild, obv. No one will diss you for wanting to dungeoneer with a necro.

Ken

Not really. While there always the survivability concerns, if you're going balls to the walls dps, you'll try for 55-60% crit chance with as much power and ferocity as possible. For classes that have innate crit traits or signets, this is easy, and no assassin gear is needed. For the rest, you'll go half and half zerk and assassin, usually.

If memory serves, only guard, engie and ele need some degree of assassin. All the rest can go full zerk.

This is, of course, solely for PvE, and only after you're used to the dungeon, otherwise you'll die. A lot.

Ideally necros are dagger focus warhorn zerk, or axe focus warhorn lifeblast build. Tbh they're kinda passed over for pve since they bring okay dps and near zero utility. Doesnt make a difference if you run with GafGuild, obv. No one will diss you for wanting to dungeoneer with a necro.

Thanks for the help!

A shame to hear about Necros not being desirable; I recall the same being true way back so I guess they never got the fixes they need.

Retro

Anyone on maguuma I think it's called? I'm doing this trial thing here.

Short Answer: We might have some people on Maguuma, I think?

Long Answer: Servers aren't restricted like they are in other MMOs; because of guesting (free, temporary server transfers) and Megaservers (a system for putting lots of people together in the same area), it's not something we tend to notice. So yes, we probably have a couple people on Maguuma, but because the game puts "GAFer" ahead of "arbitrary server choice" it's not something we ever have to pay attention to.

The exceptions, of course, are World vs. World (where it's server vs. server) and the split between North American and Europe (different data centers).

To be 100% sure you'll be able to do all things with GAF, most of us are on Stormbluff Isle. But for everything but WvW, you can roll wherever you like without any problems.

Mxrz

Necros got a cleave weapon didn't they? Cleared the biggest hurdle in pve/dungeons for them if so. Just avoid minions in stackgeons.

Chaos dagger buy order get. Now just need to decide between the Mistforged sword or the chaos. The chainsaw is great for the Charr and Asura, but looks weird on the others. And !^@$ the fractal sword drop rate.

if we take first this week, we'll probably end up with Yaks again in week four. Not entirely crazy about that.

Necros got a cleave weapon didn't they? Cleared the biggest hurdle in pve/dungeons for them if so. Just avoid minions in stackgeons.

Chaos dagger buy order get. Now just need to decide between the Mistforged sword or the chaos. The chainsaw is great for the Charr and Asura, but looks weird on the others. And !^@$ the fractal sword drop rate.

if we take first this week, we'll probably end up with Yaks again in week four. Not entirely crazy about that.

2 target cleave on dagger. Dps wasn't the biggest hurdle. Not providing might, vulnerability, fury, power, reflect or... any consistent buff/debuff to the group was.

Ken

is gear character or account bound?

i dont like my asuran warrior anymore but dont want the gear to go to waste lol

I thought necros had a well that ramped up the vulnerability.

They do. Suffering. 2 vuln, 5sec, 1pulse per sec, 6sec well duration, 35sec cooldown. Rangers, Engies, Thiefs and Warrs can average more vuln on top of superior dps, and all of those will bring even more things to the table.

But to reiterate, this is minmaxing stuff, not something that should be considered heavily.

Mxrz

is gear character or account bound?

i dont like my asuran warrior anymore but dont want the gear to go to waste lol

Depends on the rarity. Blue and Ascended (Pink-Purple) are account bound. Yellow (rare) & green (masterwork) are usually character bound after equipping it. There's a few exceptions.

Ah yeah, with pugs it rarely means much what you use. Although I do hate when a pug ends up with no reflects or lightfields.

Varaladis

I've been playing this for a while, but I took a break for a couple months. I'm back playing it again though and was wondering if I could get an invite to GAF clan?

Name is varaladis.8257

Ken

the question is not what you want to be doing.

but what you want to do.

Kind of a bruiser-type I guess? Can deal respectable damage and take damage (cause I'm bad at dodging and have latency).

also how big of a deal is having 6/6 of the same runes?

Levyne

Banned
Kind of a bruiser-type I guess? Can deal respectable damage and take damage (cause I'm bad at dodging and have latency).

Generally fairly important, I think only a few rune sets are really viable with a split 3/3 rune set or such. Not well versed, but there use to be a boon duration 3/3 split for elementalists (water and something?) and a 3/3 condition focused set for some necros (Krait/Afflicted). I actually have that set up on my necro but I never play it so I dunno if it's still common to run that.

Shiokazu

since i dont know your status... ash might be better off but let me throw a good idea.

since you're telling me you're bad at dodging you might want to keep signet of healing + a hammer nearby, make your simbols last longer and heal, shout hold the line...

your weapons are nice as they are, guardians deal good damage with great swords, just remember that your GS5 can be a over the time damage dealer, dont pull the enemies that quick.

thats all i can think of right now, without looking at the goddamned traits.

Levyne

Banned
Ugh, I've typed up about 3 posts and then deleted thinking I don't run guardian enough to give a very credible comment.

I guess i'll say that guardians have tons of useful utilities and traits. They are a pretty excellent general dungeon class. I wouldn't worry too much about running your guardian "properly" unless you are really, really trying to min-max / speed run.

I like sword/focus for the blinds.

Katoki

I think I'm going to just focus on my Guardian for now. What kind of build should I be going for for pugging dungeons? Think I'll just casually amass dungeon tokens.

Here's my character sheet: http://i.minus.com/ibpbqSOJXjXduF.jpg

In the future so it's easier to share your entire build: http://en.gw2skills.net/editor/

Massing dungeon tokens helps too. I'm not much of a guardian player so you'll want to wait for someone else to chime in.

I've been playing this for a while, but I took a break for a couple months. I'm back playing it again though and was wondering if I could get an invite to GAF clan?

Name is varaladis.8257

Invited. Open guild screen and hit "represent" on each character you plan on being able to see chat and interact with us on.

DrAg0nBoY

So guys after thinking about it I decided to make a new character to get (hopefully) back into the game.

I kinda decided on a Mesmer (I do hope I am not making a mistake, because I can't bring my Ele to level 80 for the life of me). My problem is which race to pick :/. Got a Human and Sylvari. Don't want a Norn. So I don't know if I should go Asura or Char.

GAF help! :(

Mxrz

That was a crazy fight in garrison. Its something when the eb zerg finally warps in.

I think I'm going to just focus on my Guardian for now. What kind of build should I be going for for pugging dungeons? Think I'll just casually amass dungeon tokens.

Here's my character sheet: http://i.minus.com/ibpbqSOJXjXduF.jpg
Assuming you're somewhat new, to guardians/pugs and mostly pve,

Basic setup

3/3/0/6/2 isn't meta or anything, but more what I use based on my usual group. It'll let you spam F1/Justice on every mob for +blind/vuln/burn/might, and give your shouts condition removal. Also quicker greatsword cooldowns or longer symbols. Sometimes I'll go 4/4/0/6/0, but thats mostly for the sword boost.

I wouldn't worry about using a certain gear stat right away. If you're strictly PvE, you'll want to work towards full berserkers on everything, but there's no reason to rush into it. Just aim for level 80 exotics until you can get a zerk set from CoF.

Greatsword is easy, quick dps. It is only beat out by sword and mace in very ideal circumstances that are unlikely in most pugs. Scepter is there for the few times you need to range something. These utility skills are what I have used for 99% of my play time. Occasionally I'll swap in some other skill just to mess around. Well and the burst on JI in wvw.

Generally stack where the group does. If you get into trouble F2/F3, then refresh them with your elite. Shelter is mostly there for the block and the comparatively quicker cool down. I'd focus more on just trying to stay alive above all else. Once you learn dungeon paths, things get easier. Then go full crazy-meta-dps.

JonCha

So guys after thinking about it I decided to make a new character to get (hopefully) back into the game.

I kinda decided on a Mesmer (I do hope I am not making a mistake, because I can't bring my Ele to level 80 for the life of me). My problem is which race to pick :/. Got a Human and Sylvari. Don't want a Norn. So I don't know if I should go Asura or Char.

GAF help! :(

I don't think there's any real way to decide apart from trying them both and see what you like the best.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom