• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT4| The only subscription you need is this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
So guys after thinking about it I decided to make a new character to get (hopefully) back into the game.

I kinda decided on a Mesmer (I do hope I am not making a mistake, because I can't bring my Ele to level 80 for the life of me). My problem is which race to pick :/. Got a Human and Sylvari. Don't want a Norn. So I don't know if I should go Asura or Char.

GAF help! :(

EotM. Fire Staff. Bigger aoe fields. Drop them meteors.

That's what ended up making me enjoy the class, tho. Ymmv.

Also charr are horrible. Both charr and asura share horrendous footgear, but only charr sport so many crap helms.

Plus being microbe-sized has all sorts of advantages. Being a smaller target, for one.

Kind of a bruiser-type I guess? Can deal respectable damage and take damage (cause I'm bad at dodging and have latency).

also how big of a deal is having 6/6 of the same runes?

Might wanna go *very* easy on the zerk/sin gear, then. Go for a mix of knight, cavalier and/or soldier.
55040 GS/Hammer is super easy to play, great damage and has pretty much constant protection/retaliation uptime, btw. Better to start with 35042 tho.

Guardians can just roll with 6/6 Rune of the Flame Legion, tho. Cheap and super effective.

Ken

Assuming you're somewhat new, to guardians/pugs and mostly pve,

Basic setup

3/3/0/6/2 isn't meta or anything, but more what I use based on my usual group. It'll let you spam F1/Justice on every mob for +blind/vuln/burn/might, and give your shouts condition removal. Also quicker greatsword cooldowns or longer symbols. Sometimes I'll go 4/4/0/6/0, but thats mostly for the sword boost.

I wouldn't worry about using a certain gear stat right away. If you're strictly PvE, you'll want to work towards full berserkers on everything, but there's no reason to rush into it. Just aim for level 80 exotics until you can get a zerk set from CoF.

Greatsword is easy, quick dps. It is only beat out by sword and mace in very ideal circumstances that are unlikely in most pugs. Scepter is there for the few times you need to range something. These utility skills are what I have used for 99% of my play time. Occasionally I'll swap in some other skill just to mess around. Well and the burst on JI in wvw.

Generally stack where the group does. If you get into trouble F2/F3, then refresh them with your elite. Shelter is mostly there for the block and the comparatively quicker cool down. I'd focus more on just trying to stay alive above all else. Once you learn dungeon paths, things get easier. Then go full crazy-meta-dps.

Might wanna go *very* easy on the zerk/sin gear, then. Go for a mix of knight, cavalier and/or soldier.
55040 GS/Hammer is super easy to play, great damage and has pretty much constant protection/retaliation uptime, btw. Better to start with 35042 tho.

Guardians can just roll with 6/6 Rune of the Flame Legion, tho. Cheap and super effective.

Thanks guys. I'll look into these. My gear already has runes so is there a way to remove them for Flame Legion ones?

As for my PVE experience in this game, I did most of the dungeons and Crucible of Eternity at launch as a Warrior (even found my Warrior logged out at CoE entrance). That reminds me, I think I quit the game out of frustration because the of the dungeon token bug where it'd give you way less than you should have gotten; oh well. I never really bothered to learn my Guardian much at 80 so now I feel like I should give it another shot.

Thanks guys. I'll look into these. My gear already has runes so is there a way to remove them for Flame Legion ones?
You can overwrite runes. If your old runes aren't worth much, I'd just do that. If your runes are more expensive than your armor, then you can salvage the runes off them.

Mxrz

What runes are they? Unless you buy an expensive gem store thing, you'll just overwrite the runes. I mostly said flame legion cause they're the much cheaper alternative for guardians where the "on fire" bonus stacks up well. There are better meta runes (strength, scholar) and some that are exceptionally expensive (melandru) that are worth too much to overwrite.

We're still winning. Woot. With the overnight numbers IoJ and CD had in our borderland, figured we'd be down a few thousand.

Ken

What runes are they? Unless you buy an expensive gem store thing, you'll just overwrite the runes. I mostly said flame legion cause they're the much cheaper alternative for guardians where the "on fire" bonus stacks up well. There are better meta runes (strength, scholar) and some that are exceptionally expensive (melandru) that are worth too much to overwrite.

We're still winning. Woot. With the overnight numbers IoJ and CD had in our borderland, figured we'd be down a few thousand.

2 each of superior rune of earth, grove, and water

they just came with the armor when i bought them lol

Korten

Banned
Hey guys... So this maybe a shock or not to some... But I will admit, I may be leaving the guild this coming week. I'm just no longer really having positive experiences playing with the guild but more negative. :(

Ken

I need some advice. I was out shopping and randomly picked up some of those gem cards since I figured I'd play this game a bit for the next month or so while waiting for the next FFXIV update. Apparently I can exchange it for 220 gold which is a ridiculous amount compared to the exchange rates at launch. If I were to gear up my Guardian with all that gold what should I buy lol. I was going to use the gems for that Zodiac set @_@

I'm thinking Berserkers based on Mrxz and Corio's posts, and maybe buy runes to slot my current Knight set for learning runs?

I need some advice. I was out shopping and randomly picked up some of those gem cards since I figured I'd play this game a bit for the next month or so while waiting for the next FFXIV update. Apparently I can exchange it for 220 gold which is a ridiculous amount compared to the exchange rates at launch. If I were to gear up my Guardian with all that gold what should I buy lol. I was going to use the gems for that Zodiac set @_@

I'm thinking Berserkers based on Mrxz and Corio's posts, and maybe buy runes to slot my current Knight set for learning runs?

Do not spend gold on armor. Berserker armor is also terribly overpriced.
Run dungeons or EotM, then buy armor with badges or tokens.

Heck, worst case scenario, just buy the mats to craft the armor and give to a guildie, they'll craft it for you.

You'll probably enjoy EotM more by running a staff guardian spec. This one is pretty good. Try not to use it in dungeons, or pugs will hate you.
What you wanna do is stay at max reach and cleave the other zerg, tagging as much as possible. Also use staff 2 and detonate it into the masses, drop 3 on the zerg's path, use 4 to buff allies before a dive, and 5 to push people outta bridges or stop people from pursuing you. Can use either GS or swordfocus as alternate weapon sets. Heck, can even go swordshield if you like.

Leave your account's name and i'll mail you 6 runes of the flame legion next time im online.

Ken

Do not spend gold on armor. Berserker armor is also terribly overpriced.
Run dungeons or EotM, then buy armor with badges or tokens.

Heck, worst case scenario, just buy the mats to craft the armor and give to a guildie, they'll craft it for you.

You'll probably enjoy EotM more by running a staff guardian spec. This one is pretty good. Try not to use it in dungeons, or pugs will hate you.
What you wanna do is stay at max reach and cleave the other zerg, tagging as much as possible. Also use staff 2 and detonate it into the masses, drop 3 on the zerg's path, use 4 to buff allies before a dive, and 5 to push people outta bridges or stop people from pursuing you. Can use either GS or swordfocus as alternate weapon sets. Heck, can even go swordshield if you like.

Leave your account's name and i'll mail you 6 runes of the flame legion next time im online.

Hm, okay then. I'll just stick to my Knight set and stick Flame Legion runes on them. And thanks for offering; I can just pick some up on my own instead of bothering you.

If I focus on Power/Precision/Toughness I won't be too useless right? Also how important is getting good fishing weapons? There's no dungeons that need those right?

Ashodin

Hm, okay then. I'll just stick to my Knight set and stick Flame Legion runes on them. And thanks for offering; I can just pick some up on my own instead of bothering you.

If I focus on Power/Precision/Toughness I won't be too useless right? Also how important is getting good fishing weapons? There's no dungeons that need those right?

Honor of the Waves has some exclusive underwater parts.

Complistic

Saying your leaving isn't making Drama, mocking that someone leaving IS creating Drama.

I wasn't even mocking you. No need to be so sensitive. I haven't even played the game in like a month, So I would have no idea why it is you're even leaving. Nor would I care.

Part of one path of one dungeon that most people dont bother to run requires fishing weps.

Just stick a rare zerker in the slot and youll be fine. Dont even bother with sigiling it decently.

Korten

Banned
I wasn't even mocking you. No need to be so sensitive. I haven't even played the game in like a month, So I would have no idea why it is you're even leaving. Nor would I care.

Then don't reply to the thread saying your leaving, if you don't know why then don't put fuel on the fire and then become defensive.

leng jai

Underwater gear is really your last priority.

Mxrz

Yeah, don't buy armor. At least not zerk. The mats used to make it are used for bigger things and it drives the price/demand way up. Just run CoF1 and possibly CoF2 once a day, and trade the tokens in for it.

But as long as you're in level 80s exotics, you won't ever be useless. Just varying levels of dps. Dead players do no damage, so staying alive is the most important bit. zerk armor is way to max out your efficiency once staying alive becomes trivial.

Ken

I wish I could just take my Heavy CoF set from my Warrior and stick it on my Guardian lol.

By the way, are Fractals basically the endgame raid of this game?

Mxrz

Twilight Arbor has to be the biggest assortment of asshole pugs in the game. I'm not sure what it is about this dungeon in particular, especially latey, but doing it outside of Oceanic timezones is just asking for a headache.

Few armor pieces short of finishing the collection for it, and then I'm done with ever pugging it again.

I buy my Zerk armor via WvW with the hilarious amount of Badges I get from leveling my alts up through Edge of the Mists. There's still a bit of a gold cost but it's about 1/6th of what you'd pay on the TP.

The real money sink is in the good sigils and runes you get with the armor and weapons.

Ken

I buy my Zerk armor via WvW with the hilarious amount of Badges I get from leveling my alts up through Edge of the Mists. There's still a bit of a gold cost but it's about 1/6th of what you'd pay on the TP.

The real money sink is in the good sigils and runes you get with the armor and weapons.

Oh yeah, I've been meaning to ask you what the bandage headgear your character had on was?

Ken

Wow I forgot how hectic the combat was. I was getting hit by things I didn't even see.

Is there a way to lock the camera on the target?

Oh and who do I contact to get into GAF? LFG is full of groups wanting experienced people. :(

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
Wow I forgot how hectic the combat was. I was getting hit by things I didn't even see.

Oh and who do I contact to get into GAF? LFG is full of groups wanting experienced people. :(

1) Nope :/

2) Just ask in here. One of the officers should see and send you an invite. If that fails, just send a PM to one of them in game.

Mxrz

Well, flip.

I wanna beat my chest about not caring about ppt then go siege hills for three hours. On the other hand taking second this week means no YB next week. I'm okay with that.

I'd hate to see you go, Korten. I too wish you well with whatever choice you make, but even more than that, I wish we could work out whatever issues there are between you and the guild. I don't think anyone should have to feel unwelcome here.

Callunah

Neo Member

put your account name (ex Callunah.1234) here in the OT and one of us will add you as soon as we are able.. im in game now... so... send me a PM if I dont catch your post here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom