• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT4| The only subscription you need is this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aw okay.

Going to try Caudecus Manor as a warm up. Hope I don't screw up. x_x

There are few dungeons that point out who the new guy is as much as CM. Start with AC, it doesnt ask much of a guard. Then give se1 a spin. If doing se3 or cm2, bring a scepter. CoFs are fine too.

What issues are you running into while pugging TA, mrxzklwv? I pug it daily and it tends to go pretty well.

Retro

Wasn't korten the only player in US server we helped transfer to SBI?

Does this mean if he leaves he has to pay us back?

No. There's no obligation to stay because of that, that's now how GAFGuild works. It might make us a little wary to help non-EU players get transferred over, but I doubt it.

Ken

There are few dungeons that point out who the new guy is as much as CM. Start with AC, it doesnt ask much of a guard. Then give se1 a spin. If doing se3 or cm2, bring a scepter. CoFs are fine too.

What issues are you running into while pugging TA, mrxzklwv? I pug it daily and it tends to go pretty well.

I ran CM story a few times just to warm up, and because I figured story groups don't require experienced players. Went pretty well, and also got a few explorable paths done (TA and HotW). Got wrecked in CM explore though lol.

Korten

Banned
I guess If I'm going to say that I maybe leaving I should probably at least give an idea. Basically, for a while now I always feel like I'm at odds with everyone else, I keep getting into arguements and nothing good comes out of it. I constantly feel like I'm the enemy, and I hate that feeling. So for the most part this has caused me to sort of become like an outcast. Maybe this is all just in my head, but I know that even some of you guys have seen some of the things i've mentioned happen both ingame and in this thread.

I might leave, or do what Spiritfox said just take a break. Maybe that's better- just not represent the guild for a bit and just let things cool down.

Retro

Cya Korten, let us know if you'd like an invite back whenever.

Enjoying the game so I decided to purchase for $25. Are buying gems worth it? Like a $10 gem card or something.

Everything in the gemstore is either Cosmetic or Convenience.

• Cosmetic stuff is going to be things like minis, makeover kits (for either hair or your entire body, including gender), name change contracts, dye packs and the obvious armor skins (as well as outfits, which are a kind of all-in-one skin).
  • Convenience items are your bag slot increase (per character), bank slot increase (account wide), boosters (increase things like your XP gain, crafting XP, etc. temporarily), character slots and permanent harvesting tools.
The permanent tools aren't required, but it's extremely nice not having to worry about running out of tools when you're out in the wild (plus, it frees up bag space you'd spend carrying extra tools around). I'd play the game a bit more before you run out and drop 3000 gems ($30 or so). However, the copper-fed salvage-o-matic is a thing of beauty. It's the absolute best convenience item available and I absolutely miss it when I forget to put it on my current main. Worth every gem (about $8). It is also worth pointing out that all of the permanent tools and salvage-o-matic are account bound, so you can pass them between characters by using the bank.

Hey guys! I've decided to get back into GW and see how far I can get this time. Could anyone send an invite to Lanbeast.3067?

Looks like Zeroth got you in. Welcome back. Feel free to ask any questions (the second post in this thread also has some tips for new / returning players), hope the bug bites you this time.

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls
My new favorite activity in the game is running story dungeons with new players. There's something fun about having a group of people who are afraid to move ahead of me and follow my every command.

Wasn't korten the only player in US server we helped transfer to SBI?

There was money thrown around to transfer non-Europeans? Sheesh. Gave ihazsoup 200 gold to transfer at the start of the WvW tourney. And she's even more pro-GafGuild than Stealthdark.

I guess If I'm going to say that I maybe leaving I should probably at least give an idea. Basically, for a while now I always feel like I'm at odds with everyone else, I keep getting into arguements and nothing good comes out of it. I constantly feel like I'm the enemy, and I hate that feeling. So for the most part this has caused me to sort of become like an outcast. Maybe this is all just in my head, but I know that even some of you guys have seen some of the things i've mentioned happen both ingame and in this thread.

I might leave, or do what Spiritfox said just take a break. Maybe that's better- just not represent the guild for a bit and just let things cool down.

You should probably just take a break from the game. I don't know what the situation was that sparked it, as there are many smaller cliques in the guild and conversations I don't pay attention to, but I honestly can't imagine hostility in the guild in any form..outside of maybe Adriaaa saying it's the worst guild. It's literally as happy-go-lucky carebear-filled as it can get for a guild. So exhaustion my be contributing towards your feelings.

Ken

I have like, no idea when I'm supposed to use my cooldowns.

I guess it's supposed to come with time and recognizing enemy attacks, but the screen is so busy 24/7 and the lack of enemy cast bars has me wondering how I'm supposed to do that.

Retro

There was money thrown around to transfer non-Europeans? Sheesh. Gave ihazsoup 200 gold to transfer at the start of the WvW tourney. And she's even more pro-GafGuild than Stealthdark.

No one is more pro-GAFGuild than Stealthdark. We tried to make him Guild Leader but his power was so great that he merged into the game and became the Guild.

I guess it's supposed to come with time and recognizing enemy attacks, but the screen is so busy 24/7 and the lack of enemy cast bars has me wondering how I'm supposed to do that.

There's usually a visual tell before a powerful attack that you'll just learn from fighting enemies and learning what they do. Some are obvious (ettins have a 'charge up' animation), others are more subtle (WvW guards raise their hands just before they heal, but it's so fast you have to be ready for it quickly).

That said, sometimes there isn't a tell and you just have to use your gut or plan ahead. Save your useful 'big' control cooldowns (blind, daze, knockback/down) and make liberal use of your 'small' control options (cripple, immobilize) to keep some room. Dodge as a last resort, and don't forget that you can just step out of an attack's path to avoid it (you don't have to dodge if their incoming swing will naturally miss you). Like non-MMO games, it's all about learning to process, assess and react to changing conditions. That's one of the big reasons that your skills are tied to weapons; eventually you'll get to the point where reflexively, when you're using a sword, #1 always does "X", #2 always does "Y" and #3 always does "Z." I don't really even think about the icons or tooltips anymore, it's all just action now.

Complistic

Most of the time there isn't a wrong time unless it's something obvious like blocking when the enemy just finished attacking. It's trial and error with each enemy. Fight them, get roughed up a little as you learn their skills, then adapt and use your own skills effectively.

Ken

Anyone happen to have on hand any videos of good Guardians running explorables? Kind of want to see if I'm doing something fundamentally wrong.

No one is more pro-GAFGuild than Stealthdark. We tried to make him Guild Leader but his power was so great that he merged into the game and became the Guild.

There's usually a visual tell before a powerful attack that you'll just learn from fighting enemies and learning what they do. Some are obvious (ettins have a 'charge up' animation), others are more subtle (WvW guards raise their hands just before they heal, but it's so fast you have to be ready for it quickly).

That said, sometimes there isn't a tell and you just have to use your gut or plan ahead. Save your useful 'big' control cooldowns (blind, daze, knockback/down) and make liberal use of your 'small' control options (cripple, immobilize) to keep some room. Dodge as a last resort, and don't forget that you can just step out of an attack's path to avoid it (you don't have to dodge if their incoming swing will naturally miss you). Like non-MMO games, it's all about learning to process, assess and react to changing conditions. That's one of the big reasons that your skills are tied to weapons; eventually you'll get to the point where reflexively, when you're using a sword, #1 always does "X", #2 always does "Y" and #3 always does "Z." I don't really even think about the icons or tooltips anymore, it's all just action now.

Most of the time there isn't a wrong time unless it's something obvious like blocking when the enemy just finished attacking. It's trial and error with each enemy. Fight them, get roughed up a little as you learn their skills, then adapt and use your own skills effectively.

I think I'm etiher too used to cast bars or the screen is too busy for me to identify anything the boss is doing.

Complistic

If there's too many particle effects from other people, you can turn on Effects LOD in the options to disable most of them. That'll make big boss fights easier to read.

Shanlei91

Classic SD.

What cooldowns are you talking about in particular? Weapon or utility skills?

Most enemies have attack animations or, "tells", right before they perform their signature attacks.

Retro

I think I'm etiher too used to cast bars or the screen is too busy for me to identify anything the boss is doing.

Probably a little of column A and a little of column B. Getting used to there not being cast bars is something you'll get used to with time and more familiarity with the various enemy types. It's like playing any other game; you just learn how enemies behave from fighting them and figure out the best way to take them down. It's even more fun when you play a new class and have to figure out the different approaches they have to the same enemies; I take on most enemies completely differently on my Thief than I do on my Engineer.

The screen being too busy, you can go to Options > Graphics and check "Effects LOD" to reduce some of the on-screen effects (though I'm pretty sure it's checked by default). Beyond that, it's more an issue of just learning what all of the effects are and how you can use them to your advantage. A lot of the game systems are communicated through those effects (field types, for example, which you can use to combo) and it's just a matter of learning what they are until they're second nature.

Ken

Classic SD.

What cooldowns are you talking about in particular? Weapon or utility skills?

Most enemies have attack animations or, "tells", right before they perform their signature attacks.

Retreat, Virtue of Courage, and Purging Flames.

Not tsure if I should use PF everytime it's off CD for the burn or save it for conditions. Also not sure when Block is needed in general.

Shanlei91

Retreat, Virtue of Courage, and Purging Flames.

Not tsure if I should use PF everytime it's off CD for the burn or save it for conditions. Also not sure when Block is needed in general.

I treated Guardian skills, at launch, similarly to how I treat potions in traditional RPGs. i,e, never use them, constantly waiting for the perfect moment that never happens.

It takes experience to know when to use those abilities. Each boss has a tell for when their big attack is, and Aegis is super useful for saving the asses of players who mess up a dodge. Example: Kohler in Ascalon Catacombs - he starts glowing and holds his sword back for 2 seconds right before sending out chains to all players which he then pulls them in and proceeds to launch his sword flurry killing most caught in his reach.

As a guardian, you could see when it's about to happen and pop Aegis, whether via retreat or Courage. Granting your team a block for any who miss the dodge and get hit by hit chain. By blocking that one chain, the player then can't be pulled in and get killed. This is the nature of using Aegis works. There are also other uses, like when reviving a teammate, escaping an environmental hazard, etc. It's not completely formulaic and very situational depending on the dungeon. It really does take experience.

...orrrr just pop it when your team starts dying. :-D

Ken

Can boss auto attacks pop Aegis? That's what I'm kind of worried about since it seems like a waste of an Aegis.

Then again I guess it'd be pretty faceroll if Aegis only popped on special/lethal attacks.

Shanlei91

Any attack will eat up an Aegis but on the bright side, most boss attacks hit like a truck and players should be dodging. If they dodge, Aegis won't be used. So it's like a "continue" for a player who fails to dodge and gets wacked.

Katoki

Kinda quiet in here.

xMGt5gV.png

We took it. Next stop CD BL Garrison.

Retro

looking at that screenshot reminds me: is there a way to make the red circles less opaque?

Not that I'm aware of, but they are phasing them out in favor of much more visible orange ones;

Not sure if those will remain only for bosses or it's something they'll implement game-wide, but they do exist, at least. For red/green colorblind folks, I understand the red circles on any kind of grass is basically impossible to see (which is the reason there aren't green commander tags).

Word. Lotsa old players are probably sitting on at least 100g worth of ectos.

Also probably the easiest mildly expensive material to get rid of in large quantities.

Mat economy really could use some sort of revamp. Doubt anyone likes salvaging 95% of the drops, and the way ascended mats are handled is absolutely atrocious.

I'd say that they'll never get rid of it because it is a handy way to destroy currency, but... they got rid of repair fees, so anything is possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom