• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT4| The only subscription you need is this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Katoki

Sold like 10 stacks of ori that I'd collected over who knows how long. It helped.

As for materials, I figure something like giving zone level drops when you hit level 80 would help and give incentive to go back to zones... especially those in the middle levels. Anything that's rare or higher should obviously drop at level 80 though.

Sold like 10 stacks of ori that I'd collected over who knows how long. It helped.

As for materials, I figure something like giving zone level drops when you hit level 80 would help and give incentive to go back to zones... especially those in the middle levels. Anything that's rare or higher should obviously drop at level 80 though.

Don't you get zone level mats for map completion? Or did that change in the latest update? I have completed 2 maps over the weekend but honestly I didn't pay attention to see if the rewards had changed from gear plus a stack of zone level mats or not.

Katoki

Don't you get zone level mats for map completion? Or did that change in the latest update? I have completed 2 maps over the weekend but honestly I didn't pay attention to see if the rewards had changed from gear plus a stack of zone level mats or not.

You do but it's a one time thing per character per clear. It doesn't really encourage people to return at all. Personally, I'm probably never going to do it again since my last class is level 70 already and once it hits 80 I'll have one of each class that's max level. I don't know how crazy most people are but I do recall someone linking 51 gifts of exploration one time in map chat.

Okay now I see what you are talking about Katoki. Yeah there does need to be more incentive to go to some of the mid level maps aside from champs and such. As for gifts of exploration I have 2 from getting world completion with Jess. I don't know if I will do that again with any other character.

Katoki

What all sorts of shit?

Both started working on our territory in EB and the BL. We had all of 10-15 people spread who knows where as usual. You can see this from the last flipped times on WvW Intel for EB since they flipped the keep back ~4 hours ago. I'm more surprised that we held our BL keeps since WolF set up a few trebs for bay and cleaned out the siege in hills via ballista since people were spread thin, again who knows where. Then we had CD just flipping camps and ninjaing avoiding IoJ.

Maybe we were just high strung and exhausted by then so every little thing caused alarms to ring. That 10-15 man IoJ had was handily wrecking us without the full force of what was left of Stash's force before he detagged.

Retro

When I logged last night around 1:30, there were no more than 4 of us in SBI BL and the only action we'd had came from some small havoc and one push at SW Tower right before I logged. I was genuinely surprised to find none of our keeps had flipped when I got on today, that'll help us keep our attention elsewhere tonight.

I dunno what CD did to piss IoJ off, but the ripped into their BL something fierce. They're still sitting on their Garrison and hills just flipped back. So, two paper keeps in CD BL for the taking tonight, hopefully some pressure there keeps them off EB and our BL and we can pull ahead again.

Something something something about YB again for week four if we come first this week..

Hm... depends on the other server in the trio, but 300 and afk on last week for an easy 100 vs 200 and major struggle to manage 200-300.
Tbh taking first this week seems to harbor less potential for frustration.

Less fun too, obv, since if you don't get a server capable of rolling you in the last week, it'll probably be quite intense.

Katoki

Hm... depends on the other server in the trio, but 300 and afk on last week for an easy 100 vs 200 and major struggle to manage 200-300.
Tbh taking first this week seems to harbor less potential for frustration.

Less fun too, obv, since if you don't get a server capable of rolling you in the last week, it'll probably be quite intense.

That's true, I wasn't thinking about the ticket rewards at all. I'd personally just like to avoid the full AFK scenario when we know what's going to happen with a stacked server against us.

Mxrz

If we do roll YB next week, it would be nice pay them back with a double-team of our own. Doubt it would happen, but I can dream. I miss even fights, maybe its from wvw'ing in the late/early hours. Seems like we're either running from a larger group or chasing down a smaller one.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
I can't seem to login today. Well, I can, and pick a character, but then I'm stuck in the loading screen.

Mxrz

Pop in, see our BL green. Start clearing. Tag shows up, starts bitching and mocking the handful of people there. Luckily the block list has no cap.

Katoki

Doesn't look like we have much of a choice in the matter regarding not getting second place at all. If IoJ passes us though... I haven't figured out what to say for that yet.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Oh god the sylvari light armor cultural tier 2 is hilarious

gw0578qb2l.jpg

it's like she's not wearing any clothes!

Sounds to me like you are trying to throw us off your trail, Mr. Crystal Desert native. But I'm onto you!

I dun wubwub

Don't think there is anything quite as dickish as taking a PvE-specced Ranger to EotM.

Dear gods, you kill people with 3-4 autoshots from 1500 range all the time. Nothing they can do about it. At all. They just...melt. Aint even bothering with spider and wolf.

Expected reflec usage to be more liberal in WvW. Nope. Probably not enough time spent there to see it used often.

it's like she's not wearing any clothes!

IT isn't.

And that's, like, half the appeal of playing a carrot.

Fractal skins drop rates have been determined. Dunno if this is old news.

From the fractal reward drop rate research by [KING] that was recently posted on Reddit, we can see that our best bet right now for getting a fractal weapon skin is running a lvl 31-40 bracket fractal, at a drop rate of about 9.2%. Let's do some math here using that number, shall we?

You want a specific weapon skin. (That sword is pretty sweet, isn't it?) Well, there are 19 different fractal weapon skins. If we assume you're equally likely to get any one of them, then on average you need to open (1/0.092) x 19=206.5 reward chests. So if you ran one lvl 31-40 fractal a day, it would take you on average more than 206 days to get the particular skin you're looking for. (Basically this is a shifted geometric distribution, shift the regular geometric distribution over by one.)

But how about collecting them all? /u/that_shaman datamined a "Fractal Master" collection to collect all fractal weapon skins. Apparently it's in-game but buggy, and showing up only for some people. In any case, how long would it take us to get all 19 weapons? This is what's called a coupon collector's problem. Again, if we assume all skins drop equally likely, it would take on average 68 skin drops to unlock all 19 of them. Factor in our drop rate of 9.2% for a lvl 31-40 fractal, and it means it would take on average more than 739 runs to unlock all 19 weapon skins. That's more than two years doing one run each day.

This seems pretty ridiculous to me. Note that this gets far worse if you use the drop rate for lvl 41-50 (~3.6%): On average 528 runs for a particular skin and 1889 runs for all 19. We really need those Fractal gear boxes that aren't yet available, or better yet, some additional way to purchase the skins we want that we can make measurable progress towards.

Also, since it's even more ridiculous, the combined data of [KING] with [LOD]/[SC]/[ZoS] (link) has 2316 lvl 41-50 chests opened with no Fractal tonic.

Glad I never much cared about them. o_ô
Also hey, apparently that dungeon speedrunning guild i joined is a "big deal" >_>
-
To expand:
Original thread.
Spreadsheet detaling rates per tier.

The skin deal seems easily solvable by allowing one to pick from a skin selection, a la weapon chest.

Zeroth

The lv 31-40 range being the best for skins is not exactly new news, I've been saying it for months based on older fractal data that showed the same results, so I don't see much reason to be outraged now. Either way, the fact the fractal weapon collection thing is not yet in the game per see indicates to me that Anet has plans to change the current fractal skin reward structure.

I'd have liked to see the reasoning on that.
"hey, so... high level fractals will drop ascended gear, which is great, because... you need AR to get to high level fractals, which you can only slot on ascended gear, which you'll have crafted before getting there, thus rendering the rewards mostly useless"

Fractal progression system is so broken compared to the rest of the game =/

Zeroth

I'd have liked to see the reasoning on that.
"hey, so... high level fractals will drop ascended gear, which is great, because... you need AR to get to high level fractals, which you can only slot on ascended gear, which you'll have crafted before getting there, thus rendering the rewards mostly useless"

Fractal progression system is so broken compared to the rest of the game =/

You don't need Ascended armor for high level fractals. It's possible to get enough AR for lv 41-49 solely on trinkets. Speaking strictly from my experience, dropping ascended gear is nice because I get to equip alts with ascended gear, something I would certainly not do if not given this gear.

You don't need Ascended armor for high level fractals. It's possible to get enough AR for lv 41-49 solely on trinkets.
I think the safe point is more like ~42, with good carries.
I wouldn't suggest anyone to go over that without some ascended armor pieces, without the other players pulling their hairs out whenever agony kills you.

Besides, this discussion about farming fractals high-end, which is dumb to do if you aren't geared.

You don't need Ascended armor for high level fractals. It's possible to get enough AR for lv 41-49 solely on trinkets. Speaking strictly from my experience, dropping ascended gear is nice because I get to equip alts with ascended gear, something I would certainly not do if not given this gear.

You also don't need zerk exos to run dungeons.

Sure as fuck helps, tho, especially when spinning the pug roulette.

5 ar per trinket and backpiece, 30% health loss per tick, thus unviable.
7 ar per trinket, 60g, +-15% health loss per tick.
Yeaaaaah, imma go with "most groups would kick you if you aint packing ascended past 30, since they can't divine that you are the Moondrop" .

The argument for dropping ascended is unrelated from the argument for dropping ascended at lower tiers, tho. That dropping ascended is nice is obvious. That you'd get to keep the benefit you like while also having a more logical progression if they dropped at lower tiers should also be, one expects, obvious.

Zeroth

As long 3-4 members of the party are properly geared (and solely because of the inevitable agony moments in boss fights), it's fine to bring people without enough AR to any fractal level (as long its mistlock instability is not constant agony) given the difference between their AR and the fractal's AR level is not bigger than 24%~33% per tick. Several fractals can be done avoiding their agony source entirely if you know what you are doing. Naturally, I'm thinking outside of the usual pug mentality here, since as you addressed they are less likely to do that.

I also think it's worth noting that ascended gear dropping at tiers that require ascended gear makes sense if you are trying to preserve the value of ascended gear. If it's too readily available, no one will ever craft it. Of course, the conflict of getting ascended gear after crafting it persists, but I'm not sure if there are any other relevant drops that could justify dropping 200g+ on gear. Maybe new skins, but I find the value in ascended gear fine as you are given account-bound items that can be used among multiple characters.

Levyne

Banned
You also don't need zerk exos to run dungeons.

Sure as fuck helps, tho, especially when spinning the pug roulette.

5 ar per trinket and backpiece, 30% health loss per tick, thus unviable.
7 ar per trinket, 60g, +-15% health loss per tick.
Yeaaaaah, imma go with "most groups would kick you if you aint packing ascended past 30, since they can't divine that you are the Moondrop" .

The argument for dropping ascended is unrelated from the argument for dropping ascended at lower tiers, tho. That dropping ascended is nice is obvious. That you'd get to keep the benefit you like while also having a more logical progression if they dropped at lower tiers should also be, one expects, obvious.

Getting 10 AR on the rings is pretty easy and cheap. It doesn't change your argument much but just wanted to spit that out.

Getting 10 AR on the rings is pretty easy and cheap. It doesn't change your argument much but just wanted to spit that out.

Gw2Tp lists a +10 infusion as 73g. Might as well craft the ascended set and use versatile infusions if you're gonna buy some. It is why i went with 7. Looked like a nice AR to Gold per Slot value.

I also think it's worth noting that ascended gear dropping at tiers that require ascended gear makes sense if you are trying to preserve the value of ascended gear. If it's too readily available, no one will ever craft it. Of course, the conflict of getting ascended gear after crafting it persists, but I'm not sure if there are any other relevant drops that could justify dropping 200g+ on gear. Maybe new skins, but I find the value in ascended gear fine as you are given account-bound items that can be used among multiple characters.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but dont you not get to pick the stat of the ascended gear that drops, but only the piece? If that is the case, the time to complete a zojja set would still be silly high, even if it dropped at lower tiers, simply due to the multitude of prefixes.

All you'd really remove is the "need" to craft ascended specifically for AR.

To be fair, the whole concept of AR is shit. Fuck resist gear. Legacy mmo design.

Levyne

Banned
Oh, I see, I guess I got free +5's into the ring/backpiece agony infusion slots since I had those infused before the Fractured patch.

Unless you can still put versatile ones into them?

Zeroth

Correct me if I'm wrong, but dont you not get to pick the stat of the ascended gear that drops, but only the piece? If that is the case, the time to complete a zojja set would still be silly high, even if it dropped at lower tiers, simply due to the multitude of prefixes.

All you'd really remove is the "need" to craft ascended specifically for AR.

To be fair, the whole concept of AR is shit. Fuck resist gear. Legacy mmo design.

I wasn't around for when ascended was introduced, but it seemed to be included to deal with 2 problems:

* The folks tired of horizontal gear
* The abundance of low tier mats in the TP

And of course, the whole money/time-sink aspect to retain people.

I would prefer that, rather than giving gear at random, we had PvP tracks of sorts for fractals. Not only it would help with progression (you could work towards whatever drop you want), but it would also remove the randomness and reward consistently playing the content. Maybe lower tiers give slower progressions compared to higher tiers, or something like that, as a way to incentive doing all tiers in some form.

The first problem is unsolvable without resorting to number inflation, which is probably a large reason why GW2, aside from the introduction of ascended, doesn`t bother tackling it. Smart move, really.

As for the abundance of low tier mats... eh. Wood, Ores and Leather are all quite cheap. The only real grind for resources is cloth, and that has more to do with the difficulty to attain cloth than anything else.

300 scraps of silk per day? Seriously? GTFO with that nonsense.

But yes, the system you propose would be a large improvement. In a way they kinda sorta already do that with the fractal relics. Concept should be expanded.

JonCha

At the high price gems are at at the moment, I'm wondering if it's worth buying around 800 and converting them into a gold. Though I'd only be using that money to get T3 cultural Sylvari armour, so ...

Also completed personal story and I've been given the quest for the fourth question in the Living Story Season 2. Seems kinda pointless to do considering the three prior episodes are locked.

Arcteryx

I gave up on Fractals long ago. Got sick of trying to get the sword to drop...and having multiples of EVERYTHING else. Literally ran multiple tiers per day since Fractals launched and still no fucking sword.

They need to implement a system to convert Fractal tokens/relics into skins. I mean, they've already got a system for backpieces/rings/etc, why not just go the full route?

Katoki

I was looking at the WvW score and I can't help but think that IoJ will overtake us at some point with the points they gain over night. The gap between IoJ and SBI is continuing to lessen.

Joystiq posted an article today about this game I wanted to share. I haven't had a chance to read it all yet.

Flameseeker Chronicles: Guild Wars 2's gender divide

The person has a point with the armor. Most of the rest.... can't say i relate, especially since the writer tried to appropriate a term designed to specify racism, with what seems to be unclear results. Has a point with diverse hiring practices, but that isn't exactly a new concern, and, as the writer recognizes, gw2 is miles above everyone else on the issues discussed.

First half reads more like a person wanting to discuss an issue and trying to find what little they could amidst the game to kinda sorta maybe support their point of view.

Yeah, the part about the armor is the only point that's actually crossed my mind while playing the game. But as was pointed out in the comments, it's certainly not as bad as Tera. I've never even played that game and checking out some of the female armor is really off-putting.

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls
Charr and Asura look like their male counterparts.
The new Destiny's Edge most interesting characters are the females.
The best use of facial animation in the game is used in a cutscene where two women kiss.
The players, unfortunately, chose the female Ellen Kiel to lead.

Outside of boob armor, there's nothing in the game that ever really brings attention to gender differences or puts women down in any way. If anything, the game is more anti-Necromancer. (or at least the players are) Edit: My gf tells me that she loves her sexy boob armor even if the difference between men and women on the same armor sets is hilariously noticeable.

Article reads like someone who wanted to write about sexism but had only been playing GW2 recently.

The author taking serious issue with the Sons of Svanir being sexist and therefore hurting the escapist nature of the videogame and somehow cheapening the real life evils of sexism seems like a dramatic reach.

The last paragraph is all kinds of amazeballs grasping at straws. Dude complains about a guy named Blane the Insane being sexist. A guy that you then proceed to beat to a paste.

Like. I don't even...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom