• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT4| The only subscription you need is this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Retro

Echoes of the past as a title. It really looks like we'll be going back in time. In this case way back, which I don't mind too much. I suspect they'll be covering the abaddon fractal's contents with this and I am excite.

It just seems way too convenient that there's always a way to visit the past in MMOs, e.g. Caverns of Time. They are almost always wasted (the potential to revisit all sorts of cool lore never pans out) and smack of deus ex machina. It's potentially more problematic here because GW2 already has a way to visit echos of the past, Fractals. Here's hoping the hourglass isn't a magical plot device or isn't related to time travel directly.

Wonder what that spine (or perhaps tail?) is from? Glint? Zhaitan?

Could be anything, which is crazy exciting. The Priory archives have the potential to be a lore junkie's dream come true. I hope there's a ton of easter eggs and some significant lore nuggets hidden down there.

This Halloween update doesn't have any Personal Story unlock right?
I want to be sure I'm not missing out on stuff.

Nah, no story unlocks. You're good.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
That was a really well-cut trailer, hyyyyyyype
Well, let's see here...

- Looks like the Pact has set up a base (or at least an airship hangar) in the area near Dry Top.
- Sandstone Ruins. Reminds me of Petra.
- A new big flower / vine enemy.
- Arrow Cart being used in PVE, probably like in the Living Story episode at Fort Salma.
- A big, minotaur-looking creature (it's huge, has horns, walks on two digitigrade legs). Has a skull-looking face, similar to the Modrem wolves. Maybe it's a Mordrem Ogre?
- Hope that airship firing into the battle isn't just for show.

- Looks like we'll catch up with Marjory and Kasmeer at the Priory.
- Abaddon statue is in the Priory basement.
- The ceiling in one frame has letters for each Elder Dragon;.
  • Left side, top to bottom is S, Z and P (hidden by the wire, but it's pretty obvious what it is). S____, Zhaitan, Primordus.
  • Right side, top to bottom is K M J. Kralkatorrik, Mordremoth, Jormag.
    • The ocean dragon's name starts with "S."
- Oh yeah, that's a big ass spine hanging from the ceiling there too.
- A big store room. Barrel says "04", Box says "Stor-", can't see the rest of the crate to translate.
- Ogden, yay!
- A big crystal structure; Glint's Lair.
- Some kind of Hourglass relic? I hope this doesn't mean we do a bunch of time travel =\
Nice!

Looked like some kind of staging area in the black citadel too, right? And Airship errrrywhere

Mxrz

Dragons are just pokemon for some higher being. Abaddon saw what was going to happen to the other human gods, and played the long con to get around it. De-uglied Margonites are a future race.

Some of the people in the lore/wiki talk pages are straight up Comic Book guying. They can't do This and this cause someone once said this!!!

Time travel is probably going to be a thing. For the most part I'd trust ANet a lot more with it than most companies. As a player, it never seemed right that Glint went out off screen. I doubt they would let us get around that, but it would be nice.

Anno

Smarmy forum-goer said:
i guess it’s not fair to permanently block my account using a program which reduce lag, which i really don’t know that it’s illegal because it’s not botting and other stuff and now i appealed about it and they won’t help me recover my account, my point is, why would i use that if in the first place i know that its bannable, its not like botting or whatever, its just to reduce lag for me to able to enjoy the game. please help me.

Chris Cleary said:
Hey Empathy! Thanks for getting my attention via the forums! Actually, your account was never suppose to have been unbanned. Looks like this was a slipup that I’ll rectify right now. Your main account and 8 other accounts have been banned/rebanned.

Your other accounts were banned for botting (and selling gold), and your main account was banned because you mailed gold from your bots to it.

Feel free to contact Customer Support again if you have any questions.

Smarmy forum-goer said:
i was playing all manually, tabbing each other, and never knew its illegal to farm hard just to get my main a legendary? thats why im mailing gold to my main. this is really unacceptable, i wasnt really botting at all.

Chris Cleary said:
9 Accounts, Manually Controlled, Ok, lets do some Bearbow math.
It’ll take you ~1 second to move between each client

1 second to initiate a command (assuming you only want 9 characters to do 1 skill and then auto attack)

Thats 18 seconds for 1 action across 9 accounts with 0 movement, so 3.3 (repeating of course) actions per minute per account.

Technically speaking, you could pull off a 3 Rapid Fires on your Bearbows per account per minute with 6 seconds to spare between switches. A normal Bearbow can do 7.5 Rapid Fires per minute, and throw in 2 Barrages (but that requires targeting, something you don’t have time to do), upping damage to equal roughly 9 Rapid Fires.

Your 9 Bearbows are roughly equal to 3 real Bearbows. It seems if you wanted to be effective, you should be multiboxing only 3 accounts rather than 9, if my Bearbow math is correct.

That is unless you are botting, or have keys bound to multiple clients, either way, that’s gonna fetch a ban…like it did

56KQOnN.png

Retro

The Raiding CDI started...

...It's about what you'd expect...

Zhaitan Raid.
Their entire proposal is that they didn't like Arah Story, so that should be a raid. The "Associated Risks: No idea" part slays me.

dungeon-specific buffs determine roles
"You know all those cool professions we made to play Guild Wars 2 with? Screw 'em! Let's just have the Holy Trinity back!
In bundle form!
Golden Bundles!"

Some genuinely good posts, but so many of them are "I want WoW-style hardcore raiding back" spread out to fill 5000 characters.

nataku

I'm not sure I want to read through that thread.

But then again I'm curious how many requests will basically end up "Make it like vanilla WoW raids"

Jira

The Raiding CDI started.

It's about what you'd expect....

Zhaitan Raid.
Their entire proposal is that they didn't like Arah Story, so that should be a raid. The "Associated Risks: No idea" part slays me.

"You know all those cool professions we made to play Guild Wars 2 with? Screw 'em! Let's just have the Holy Trinity back!
In bundle form!
Golden Bundles!"

It's almost as if people haven't noticed that not one aspect of GW2 is made like other MMOs. ANet simply doesn't do MMO conformity and raids will be no different.

But then again I'm curious how many requests will end basically end up "Make it like vanilla WoW raids"

No need, just look at Wildstar for an example on how that would play out (badly).

Retro

Ah so I can simply just press F, cancel, then press F again, repeatedly?

Yep, unless they've patched it out.

But then again I'm curious how many requests will basically end up "Make it like vanilla WoW raids"

Most of them at this point are either that, "I want bigger dungeons that are harder" or "I want instanced World Bosses I can kick casualz out of." Colin even jumped into the thread to basically say "Guys. Look. This is GW2. Think outside the box, please." but people keep right on chugging along with the expected results.

There's also a lot of "Hi, I'm Name in Boldface from Semi-Famous Guild you may have heard of on Reddit also in boldface with x years on the bleeding edge of hardcore raiding across y games! This makes me an expert, and my posts are clearly more in tune with the community!"

My eyes roll back so far into my head my optic nerves snap and they just keep spinning around like a cartoon character with slot machine eyes. If you're all about the hardcore raiding in other games, go play those other games instead of trying to make Guild Wars 2 "OtherGame Clone 57."

No need, just look at Wildstar for an example on how that would play out (badly).

Every time someone says "Bring back Vanilla WoW-style Hardcore Raiding" I just want to link them to this interview;
I attended a panel focused on the future of MMORPGs and Frost divulged some great information on Carbine’s shift in focus. In the true sense of their motto; “The Devs are Listening” Frost discussed how Carbine is regularly looking at and analyzing gameplay analytics. These analytics are focused on playtime, content and reward loop feedback, all of which have shifted their focus from high end content to solo gameplay. Statistics are showing the majority of Wildstar players enjoy solo play instead of larger raids which really caught Carbine developers off guard. Another trend was limitations in playtime, many players are simply logging in for 15 – 30 minute intervals. Frost confirmed that these analytics are being taken seriously and are impacting what content is being produced and released.

Worth noting that Stephen Frost actually left the company since then. If Wildstar, marketed as the "hardcore MMO raider's hardcore raiding MMO" can't even limp to the 6 month mark without key developers jumping ship, layoffs, servers merged as low as they possibly can go and having to completely re-think their endgame... well, that pretty much puts the final nail in the "Hardcore Raiding" coffin doesn't it, cupcake? That sounds kind of mean, I'm not trying to celebrate anyone losing their job or anything, but I can't believe that at some point during development somebody didn't stand up and say "Hey, maybe this half dozen people on the internet wishing there was a Hardcore Raiding MMO aren't representative of a larger audience." Because what "caught them off guard" was painfully obvious to most of us here.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Sweet, will try that out later. Any Krytian zones have Toxic Alliance right?

Also they should really give us Master Carver title owners an incentive for doing Master Carver again.

Retro

Sweet, will try that out later. Any Krytian zones have Toxic Alliance right?

Also they should really give us Master Carver title owners an incentive for doing Master Carver again.

Best bet is Kessex Hills, that's the only place I'm aware of where the Toxic Alliance enemies hang out naturally rather than showing up only for specific events.

And yeah, getting Master Carver twice should give you a little pumpkin mini or something.

Jira

It was painfully obvious for anyone who has followed the genre for the past decade to see exactly what would happen with Wildstar. I mean when you only have roughly 3,000 people doing your raid content, you can't exactly sustain a business on such a small amount of people. The raiding minority is always stupidly vocal about it and Wildstar was absolute proof that a game designed around raiding and awful attunement systems will die a quick death.

Retro

So, an update on the Guild site.

Basically, our previous host completely screwed us. Large parts of the database were password protected and our host (which isn't entirely accurate; turns out it's just one guy in the UK) would only give the password if we paid for two more invoices. Which we did in good faith, and then we never heard back from him. To make it worse, because he's in the UK and Ferny used his debit card, there's no way to get his money back.

Essentially, we're going to have to reboot the site (everyone will have to re-register) from scratch because the last copy of the database is woefully outdated. We're working on getting everything set up, the site is there but there's nothing to it. We'll let you know when things are ready to go and folks can re-register and such then.

Mxrz

The Raiding CDI started...

...It's about what you'd expect...

Zhaitan Raid.

In bundle form!
Golden Bundles!"

Some genuinely good posts, but so many of them are "I want WoW-style hardcore raiding back" spread out to fill 5000 characters.

"We want WoW, but don't want to pay WoW's sub. Make your game WoW!" its 2005 all over again.

'that guild' does it all over reddit. Anyone that disagrees, "doesn't know what they're talking about since they're not in our guild!" or some such. Its really funny given I've been in pugs with some of them and they were far from impressive.

5il3nc3r

So, an update on the Guild site.

Basically, our previous host completely screwed us. Large parts of the database were password protected and our host (which isn't entirely accurate; turns out it's just one guy in the UK) would only give the password if we paid for two more invoices. Which we did in good faith, and then we never heard back from him. To make it worse, because he's in the UK and Ferny used his debit card, there's no way to get his money back.

Essentially, we're going to have to reboot the site (everyone will have to re-register) from scratch because the last copy of the database is woefully outdated. We're working on getting everything set up, the site is there but there's nothing to it. We'll let you know when things are ready to go and folks can re-register and such then.

I didn't even know you guys had a website. Will i miss anything if i just stick to this thread?

Nope. Most people do that.

They shouldve named thay discussion something else. Late-game event discussion or whatever. Explicitly calling it raids..well, attracts a certain mindset.

Wonder if they could make world bosses in the borderlands viable. Spawn under certain conditions. Would be an interesting shift.
Could even add a wvw world boss that had to be killed in three places at the same time if you really wanted to make it a griefer's paradise.

Retro

Oh yeah, Iron Marches events won't go out yet right? I've still yet to do some of them.

I don't think so, but I'm not 100% sure. Since those are in the open world and not instanced, I would do them sooner rather than later.

"We want WoW, but don't want to pay WoW's sub. Make your game WoW!" its 2005 all over again.

I think even this is giving them too much credit. I think it's closer to reality to say "We want more WoW, but we don't want more WoW. We like WoW, but we don't like like WoW. Make your game more like WoW! But not too much like WoW!"

I've always held that a lot of gamers just don't know what they really want, and even less realize what it is they're actually asking for. (See this old, slightly racist internet chestnut)

For example, how often have we seen the following exchange;
"I want Guild vs. Guild! Why is it called Guild Wars if there's no Guild vs. Guild?! "
"Because the Guild Wars were an event in the lore."
"That's lame! Gimmie more guild stuff!"

And yet in the raiding CDI (actual quotes):
"I am strongly opposed to the raids being only activated through means that only a guild could have"
"-Not linked to guilds"
"IMO raids have no real need to be limited to Guild Raiding"
"the raids shouldn’t be locked behind guild"​
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I didn't even know you guys had a website. Will i miss anything if i just stick to this thread?

Nah. The site mostly existed to have a place that's easily accessible since it's easier for our non-NeoGAF Members to find things like our Guild Policy, ask for help transfering from EU, etc. with a web address than asking them to hunt for the OT.

I'm not sure we need a site, as a lot of the concerns we had when we set it up have sort of fallen off after two years (one of the concerns is that the OT would move too fast for discussions, which actually happened with the first OT).

They shouldve named thay discussion something else. Late-game event discussion or whatever. Explicitly calling it raids..well, attracts a certain mindset.

Wonder if they could make world bosses in the borderlands viable. Spawn under certain conditions. Would be an interesting shift.
Could even add a wvw world boss that had to be killed in three places at the same time if you really wanted to make it a griefer's paradise.

Exactly. It's a useful term to describe large-scale group content, but it's also loaded with a ton of baggage. I think calling it "Raiding" automatically starts the whole affair off on the wrong foot.

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls
Dude, when i wrote the mecha-zhaitan bit i was only having a giggle.

Even i dont have expectations that low for anet writers.
Well, i do, but hope dies last.

Yooooo. Inquest find the body and turn him into a robot. Just like Sorrow's Embrace Story boss.

Only thing I like as much as time travel is cyborgs!

Retro

Yooooo. Inquest find the body and turn him into a robot. Just like Sorrow's Embrace Story boss.

Only thing I like as much as time travel is cyborgs!

This is quickly turning into the plot for a Godzilla movie. Seriously, the plot for one of the movies is that time travelers create a monster in the past and use him to conquer the present, but when Godzilla kicks his ass they show up from the future again with the monster Godzilla just beat whose remains were recovered and turned into a cyborg.

Also, I posted a rough, early version of a proposal Jira, Hawkian and I poked at last night.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
It's funny because I certainly think a CDI is a valuable endeavor, and good ideas will work their way in to be sure. But I'd just as well have it that ArenaNet didn't let any ideas from the community influence whatever their creative instincts can come up with in the first place.
Based on ArenaNet's "takes" on various sorts of content up until this point, I predict any "raidlike" that finds its way to reality to:

-be a blast for me to play personally and with guildies
-be complained about by hundreds of people

regardless of what the specifics shake out to. Suppose I could be wrong, but we'll see!

nataku

Whatever they do they need to test the shit out of things and design encounters so that cheap tactics like stacking can't be used.

Nothing gets me to log out of this game faster than people telling me to stack. Talk about going completely against the way the game's combat was supposed to work.

Shanlei91

I would rather a raid be a mix between a World Boss fight and a Guild Puzzle.

A giant entity, or maybe even a few generals, that need to be taken down in a multi-layered area that involves teams to split up to accomplish certain tasks to take down the enemy. Something that brings together the different aspects of the game.

Example:
  • One team proficient in jumping puzzles needs to head to an area up top, filled with moving platforms, jumping to get to the area where they need to be to defeat a boss or activate a lever. Maybe a fight in an area that rotates like the Mad Kings clocktower.
  • Another team needs to run supply back and forth to siege building sites, unable to use skills while holding supply, so others have to protect them as waves of enemies attack. That team then begins to use the siege to disable certain aspects of the enemy.
  • Another team could be in charge of defending a megalaser that requires a logic puzzle to be solved whenever the charge is ready in order to fire.
  • A 5-man team is responsible for going into a room and fighting 5 other npcs that have player skills and every time all 5 NPCs are slayed a boon is given to all other teams allowing them to dish out more damage.
I feel like so many people play Guild Wars 2 for different reasons and if a raid calls for a ton of players then there should be something for everyone. But whatever it is, I hope for something complex and not just a "ho ho ho stack and slash away". Given the complexity of boss fights / encounters in the dungeons introduced post-launch, I have hope.

nataku

The thing with jumping puzzles built in is that it'll inevitably come down to a mesmer or two jumping up to where they need to be and porting the rest of the group assigned to there. The harder it is to get up there the more likely it is to happen.

Just look at guild missions.

Personally, I think portals should be disabled for all jumping puzzles, but that'll never happen. I say that as a mesmer, not because I find it annoying to port people, but it's so cheap and defeats the purpose of the content.

Retro

I feel "raids" should go the way of guild missions, but harder.

That's kind of my opinion as well, with the distinguishing element being that instead of an unlimited number of participants, they are broken up into very structured groups. While that sounds exclusionary, the way I'm imagining it is that because it's a raid "zone" in which multiple groups can operate independently and simultaneously, the actual number of players who can participate remains fluid.

The example I have in mind now is, there's a 10-player raid encounter to fight through a heavily-fortified valley and a 5-player encounter to clear out defensive positions on the cliffs overlooking it. If the 5-player encounter happens first, the 10-player raid has an easier time of things.

Because campaigns are large maps instead of separate instances, in theory both of those could be running at the same time. In fact, it might even be better that they do; there could be arrow carts up on the cliffside that the 5-player group can use to rain death down into the valley below (and if they run at different times, the 10-player raid doesn't have that advantage).

Even though there's technically no such thing, you've essentially created a 15-player raid. In theory, you could have multiple 25-player raids running at the same time for a hundred-man raid.

Nothing gets me to log out of this game faster than people telling me to stack. Talk about going completely against the way the game's combat was supposed to work.

Ohhhhhh yeah, I'm the same way. I recently did a couple dungeon runs that had hardcore stacking, stealthing past everything that wasn't a boss, exploiting enemy pathing... you name it, this group was doing it. It sucked the fun right out of the whole thing and I had to do a COE run with GAF to get the taste out of my mouth.

A giant entity, or maybe even a few generals, that need to be taken down in a multi-layered area that involves teams to split up to accomplish certain tasks to take down the enemy. Something that brings together the different aspects of the game.

One of the ideas I had last night is one large group going after a boss who stealths throughout the fight. He's normally pretty tough but doable, but if you can spare some people to complete a jumping puzzle and defend a position from waves of enemies, you can open the floodgates above the room and fill the boss chamber with water. Players can then see where the boss is because he's splashing around even when he's invisible.

Edit: More examples: https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/forum/game/gw2/CDI-Guilds-Raiding/page/6#post4524554

Oh yeah. I recently did a couple dungeon runs that had hardcore stacking, stealthing past trash, exploiting enemy pathing... you name it, this group was doing it. It sucked the fun right out of the whole thing and I had to do a COE run with GAF to get the taste out of my mouth.

That was the long way. Nothing hardcore about it >__>
This is the current short way.

Players can then see where the boss is because he's splashing around even when he's invisible.

How would single target attacks work on such a boss?

Retro

How would single target attacks work on such a boss?

I meant as a phase during the fight; you'd fight it normally but at certain points he'd stealth and go on a rampage dropping AOEs on top of people, trigger some kind of traps, whatever. Normally you'd have to guess where he's going to drop an attack or figure out what traps will be triggered, but with the room flooded you can see where he's going and react accordingly.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
So yeah, I equipped a crafted backpiece for my cleric warrior. How come its stats are not green compared to the other equipment?

Guild Mission Idea called Zone Vanquish:

Do as many events as possible in a zone, for 1 hour.
Get bonus for:
- Doing Meta Events
- Doing Rare events that only spawn when you do specific things

If you complete all the events (or a set # of events), then at the end a special world boss would appear the you and who ever is on that map can try to take down. (10-15 min to kill).

If a guild activates this mission and they try to join a map that already has Zone Vanquish going, then it automatically creates a new version of the map for the guild and randoms to join.

Where can I buy cheaper gems and/or gold? Thanks in advance.

One option is to get lucky and find a sale on gem cards that are sold in some stores. Target, for example, occasionally runs a deal where if you buy one card you can get a second one at a discounted price.

Another option you have, and I don't recommend this, is buying from one of those gold sellers. You may or may not get ripped off and it could even lead to identity theft if you happen to go with a shady one. This option is very risky.

Shanlei91

Buy giftcards for places that sell gem cards from people who don't want the giftcards and are selling at a reduced price.

@___@

Spyware

Soo... not getting your money stolen means it's okay to buy from the people who steals other people's stuff? Wasn't GAF's bank raided by these people?
Don't know if anyone is serious but this shouldn't even be joked about like this. Uäck.

Not in the best mood. GW2 keeps crashing on me. Around 2 times per day now with odd and different error messages every time. Getting tired of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom