• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT4| The only subscription you need is this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Retro

Careful, apparently ANets Chinese partners published a ton of spoilers for next week. Already on reddit if you're interested

Since we're at the top of a new page, now is as good a time as any to remind folks to please spoiler tag any Living Story discussion for at least a week, as not everyone is able to do it on the first day. Thanks, guys.

Ashodin

I can't believe he wasted time talking to you.

You see there's this thing

I have it

oh yeah, it's called

ONJ1S6t.gif

That's why he talks to me ;)

BraXzy

My eyes roll back so far into my head my optic nerves snap and they just keep spinning around like a cartoon character with slot machine eyes.

This made me chuckle, thanks for that. It has slightly helped the halloween hanvover :3

Why isn't it November 4th yet?

Is this when Living Story resumes?

Poor Ike, now that Zeroth has stopped playing he has to solo everything. :-(

Zeroth stopped playing? :O

Entirely quit? Or just sorta taken a break like me?

Damn. Pulling the Leader card.

Loving your current avatar buddy. I spotted it in another thread. I love the progression it has made as (I assume) you slowly go mad from more work and require more coffee? I'm going to be starting to get into that boat myself. Not a coffee fan though so I don't have that boost available :(

Retro

This made me chuckle, thanks for that. It has slightly helped the halloween hanvover :3

Is this when Living Story resumes?

Zeroth stopped playing? :O

Entirely quit? Or just sorta taken a break like me?

You're Welcome.

Yep.

Yes.

Taking a break for personal reasons, no time frame given.

Shiokazu

do you guys tend to do something on guild wars to lift your spirits? something that you do ingame when you are not feeling 100%?

nothing else to say other than, see you guys tonight.

do you guys tend to do something on guild wars to lift your spirits? something that you do ingame when you are not feeling 100%?

nothing else to say other than, see you guys tonight.
Go help out someone new to the game. show em the ropes and introduce them to gw2 as you know it. Showing off jps and new stuff always feels great.

A good gafractal doesn't hurt either.

Shiokazu

Go help out someone new to the game. show em the ropes and introduce them to gw2 as you know it. Showing off jps and new stuff always feels great.

A good gafractal doesn't hurt either.

showing the newcomers the ropes really pays off. just to see how exited they feel while it is amazing.

took your advice and went to guide a dude. felt great, thanks!

(Starting to rally a PvP team to practice this week. who is in?)

Rush dungeons, mock pp thieves, run phalanx pugs, shoot the breeze.

Tbh resorting to a videogame to uplift your spirit seems like the worst kind of escapism. If one needs to do that regularly, a professional psych eval or major lifestyle change seems in order.

Korten

Banned
I think I remember someone mentioning something about how there is a change in the times when the bosses will spawn? Can't remember the specifics. I think something about exiting day light savings or something like that.

Shiokazu

I think I remember someone mentioning something about how there is a change in the times when the bosses will spawn? Can't remember the specifics. I think something about exiting day light savings or something like that.

DONT. MENTION. DAYLIGHT. SAVINGS.

Mxrz

Sheesh. Morning USA pugs can't even complete AC. I don't mind new players so much, but when they refuse to communicate, or even listen-what are you suppose to do? You can't even solo stuff since the bosses/mobs will run around all over after others. I can only tolerate AC and most dungeons at this point because they're quick, but take that away and they become rather horrible.

Anyway. With season 2 being spoiled apparently by China, I'm keeping map chat off for the next few weeks.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Hey guys- I may be late or miss the time for makeup missions altogether, I'm helping out the gubernatorial campaign today and it may go well past 3. If no officers are present I can log in on my phone to kick stuff off, but I won't be any use in combat :( Sorry! If any officers can make it and run the show please give a little posty post here so I know if it's necessary to try and get on.

Retro

Hey guys- I may be late or miss the time for makeup missions altogether, I'm helping out the gubernatorial campaign today and it may go well past 3. If no officers are present I can log in on my phone to kick stuff off, but I won't be any use in combat :( Sorry! If any officers can make it and run the show please give a little posty post here so I know if it's necessary to try and get on.

I'll be on, no worries.

Reminder: Makeups are still at 3pm, our schedule doesn't change.

Retro

DST sucks

No argument here, with the way the world is connected there's no reason to have this mandatory shift in the way we keep time.

IIt's even more confusing for folks right on the border of timezones. Where I used to live in Indiana, the moron governor allowed the counties to decide, so weird, unpredictable chunks of the state are Eastern and others are Central. Nevermind that all of Michigan (which extends further east than any point in Indiana) is on central time.

I'd be perfectly fine getting rid of it. It's a relic of wartime rationing.

Shiokazu

No argument here, with the way the world is connected there's no reason to have this mandatory shift in the way we keep time.

IIt's even more confusing for folks right on the border of timezones. Where I used to live in Indiana, the moron governor allowed the counties to decide, so weird, unpredictable chunks of the state are Eastern and others are Central. Nevermind that all of Michigan (which extends further east than any point in Indiana) is on central time.

thats probably why they dont let it go.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Thanks Retro.

And yeah. Along with anti-pennies I'm taking up anti-DST as a pet peeve cause. When trying to explain the concept of time zones (which is abstract enough as it is) to my nephews I realized I had to say that France was 4..... or 5 hours ahead of us, depending on the time of year. If local governments are reckless enough to allow counties or municipalities to set their own rules for DST like Retro's examples, you run into scenarios where people are best off resetting their watches after each leg of their commute to and from work. Or the Hopi/Navajo situation in Arizona where there are probably buildings somewhere along that silly-ass border in which on the east side it's 4:00pm and the west side is 5:00pm.

It's just really hubris that got us to this point, the idea that if we just sort of gamed human perception enough and kept making little tweaks as problems arose we could master the 4th dimension. But the "length of a day" isn't how long it seems like the sun is above your head for, the length of a day is 24 hours. Thinking we can just tell time how it works without causing more problems than we solve is humanity at its most truly human. that little quote of Thorgal's is pretty dead on.

edit: To clarify, it's not the "DST time" schedule I care about, just the idea of changing the clocks. We could stay on DST as standard time and I'd be perfectly happy.

hythloday

Anti-DST-GW2 GAF represent.

You know who else tried to fuck with time? Ultimecia. And we all see how well that worked out.

I'm going to play GW2 when Living Story picks up again!

xeris

Must be really confusing since almost none of Michigan is in the Central time zone. All but a tiny bit of the UP is in Eastern.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Anti-DST-GW2 GAF represent.

You know who else tried to fuck with time? Ultimecia. And we all see how well that worked out.

I'm going to play GW2 when Living Story picks up again!
exactly! yay!
I hate you guys.
I want earlier Teq, earlier daily reset, earlier guild missions.

DST #1 !
Okay, does this actually happen, or not (besides guild missions, that definitely doesn't -_-)

I literally have no idea, I can't remember. somebody post what time the reset happens tonight please, lol

Retro

Must be really confusing since almost none of Michigan is in the Central time zone. All but a tiny bit of the UP is in Eastern.

You're right; prior to the Governor letting the counties pick which timezone they wanted to be in, Indiana was weird and just never observed Daylight Savings time. So for half of the year they'd be in sync with Eastern time and the other half in sync with Central. Michigan stayed in Eastern Time all year round, so half the year they were on our time and the other half an hour ahead.

The wikipedia article for Time in Indiana is ridiculous. What a mess.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
"haha I wonder what that article is actually called"

"oh my god he wasn't paraphrasing"

TIME doesn't get to be different in Indiana! We do not have the ability to alter or even correctly perceive time! humans are so ridiculous. thank god gw2 allows for four other choices or I'd be hopelessly depressed.

edit: hahaha omg
1966 The United States Congress passed the Uniform Time Act of 1966 (Pub.L. 89–387 April 13, 1966; 80 Stat. 107–108; 15 U.S.C. §§ 260–267) to specify where and when daylight saving time was applied in the U.S., and authority was shifted to the United States Department of Transportation (USDOT). Prior to the passing of this law, each state was permitted to decide this issue for itself.
well I'm sure THAT didn't cause any problems xD

also wow at the controversy section.

Taffer

Look at all the discussion going on when DST hits the eastern timezone mafia while the rest of us time-plebs get brushed off with the usual 'guild missions are at the same time!' nonsense. We won't stand for this for ever! You have been warned!

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Look at all the discussion going on when DST hits the eastern timezone mafia while the rest of us time-plebs get brushed off with the usual 'guild missions are at the same time!' nonsense. We won't stand for this for ever! You have been warned!
i'm fascinated, explain your time-perception situation and how you get screwed?

Spyware

Soo... Last week missions were 3pm+5 for me, since we had turned back our clocks in Sweden but US had not. Now you have so we're back at +6 hours? Which would mean missions at 9 pm, in little over an hour from now?

Taffer

Whenever daylight savings kicks in somewhere outside US eastern someone from the affected timezone will ask if that affects guild missions and stuff and is always told no, guild missions are at the same time. That's true for EST people but if your clocks have changed then gmissions time has changed, Thorgal asked this not long ago. That's why I prefer using the daily reset as a reference( i.e. gmisssions are one hour after reset), everyone resets at the same moment and can figure out when stuff is happening without googling stuff.

EDIT: And now Spyware too!

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Soo... Last week missions were 3pm+5 for me, since we had turned back our clocks in Sweden but US had not. Now you have so we're back at +6 hours?
O____O
Which would mean missions at 9 pm, in little over an hour from now?
that's right yeah. no chance I'll be home by then though :(

I hope Callunah can get through the rush, that sucked with the timer last night!
Whenever daylight savings kicks in somewhere outside US eastern someone from the affected timezone will ask if that affects guild missions and stuff and is always told no, guild missions are at the same time. That's true for EST people but if your clocks have changed then gmissions time has changed, Thorgal asked this not long ago. That's why I prefer using the daily reset as a reference( i.e. gmisssions are one hour after reset), everyone resets at the same moment and can figure out when stuff is happening without googling stuff.

EDIT: And now Spyware too!

I assume when you say "EST" you mean "locations that observe and have changed their clocks for daylight savings" which means that guild mission time should be the same unless you're clocks HAVEN'T changed. like if your time relative to when 9:00PM eastern is, is now an hour more or an hour less of difference then it was yesterday, then the time on YOUR clock that missions start will have changed. But the vast majority of the US does observe DST stays the same relative to EST, so I don't know how else we could handle it as a guild.

i'm pretty hopelessly confused, so the relative time (hour on the clock) for the in-game events based off the server clock DO change (i.e. reset will now be when my clock says 7:00PM)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom