• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT4| The only subscription you need is this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Retro

Just for the sake of clarity (and it's stupid as all hell that in the 21st century with an interconnected global communications network, that clarity is even needed), Makeup missions will begin in 40 minutes.

Spyware

I'm usually not confused since most of the stuff in other timeszones I have to keep track of is in zones that use DST just as we do. So nothing important changes... I thought. It wasn't until just two weeks ago that I realised we don't change at the same time :D
So I just had to ask to make sure I got it right, that US had changed now and that would make it go back to how it was before last week's anomaly :p

Taffer

I assume when you say "EST" you mean "locations that observe and have changed their clocks for daylight savings" which means that guild mission time should be the same unless you're clocks HAVEN'T changed. like if your time relative to when 9:00PM eastern is, is now an hour more or an hour less of difference then it was yesterday, then the time on YOUR clock that missions start will have changed. But the vast majority of the US does observe DST stays the same relative to EST, so I don't know how else we could handle it as a guild.

I honestly don't know how daylight savings is handled across the US, I was just using EST as shorthand for America time because it's when clocks outside the US go forward or back that confusion crops up in here.

i'm pretty hopelessly confused, so the relative time (hour on the clock) for the in-game events based off the server clock DO change (i.e. reset will now be when my clock says 7:00PM)?

Oh god server time as well. Do servers move their clocks about twice a year?

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
somebody please post in here when the reset happens tonight, lol

gonna spend the rest of the day cursing this guy's name
OsROXcY.jpg

G.V. Hudson *shakes fist*

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
okay, so then saturday night guild nights are now 2 hours after reset rather than 1 hour after reset and makeups are 4 hours before reset instead of 5 hours before reset. NICE AND SIMPLE.

Retro

Yeah, that was... interesting. I've never seen a guild make such an easy challenge so hard for themselves, or especially make it take so long. The stacking, the stubborn refusal to leave the event circle even when mobs were standing outside of it and shooting them, the angry comments and whispers when we went out to kill the last mob that was preventing the wave from ending... the commander RPing when no one else was. So weird.

That's a challenge that I feel could honestly be done with six people, and I've pretty sure we've done with with no more than nine. Why they needed to hide behind rocks, stack and such was beyond me, they kept talking about tagging mobs to get credit but credit for events is so generous I've often gotten it for events I walked near.

What a kooky bunch of characters, I'd hope to meet them again just to see how they treat other missions, but they were so irate I really don't want to. That and taking forever to do simple things...

Yeah, that was... interesting. I've never seen a guild make such an easy challenge so hard for themselves, or especially make it take so long. The stacking, the stubborn refusal to leave the event circle even when mobs were standing outside of it and shooting them, the angry comments and whispers when we went out to kill the last mob that was preventing the wave from ending... the commander RPing when no one else was. So weird.

That's a challenge that I feel could honestly be done with six people, and I've pretty sure we've done with with no more than nine. Why they needed to hide behind rocks, stack and such was beyond me, they kept talking about tagging mobs to get credit but credit for events is so generous I've often gotten it for events I walked near.

What a kooky bunch of characters, I'd hope to meet them again just to see how they treat other missions, but they were so irate I really don't want to. That and taking forever to do simple things...
Last night we were talking about running it without armor, these guys had devised WvW/Dungeon Speed run tactics to do this hardcore guild challenge.

Retro

On the one hand, different guilds do things different ways and maybe they had some weird problem in the past that they didn't know how to address. For example, maybe they didn't understand that guild members needed to guest previously, which would explain why they were so fixated on everyone getting a tag for credit. So I get that, since guilds will have different tactics (our own approach to the Langmar Gallery room must look odd to guilds that just spam all of the possible emotes) and I didn't want us to be making fun of them or disrupting their strategy too much.

On the other hand, we didn't have all day, and stacking behind rocks, going melee-only and dragging the Challenge out to the point that I was able to hit the last enemy standing at all three tunnels just to end a wave means something is seriously wrong. The screaming at us to "Get back inside the circle" was especially odd and the attempts to pull enemies into the ring looked tremendously silly. I have no idea how long they were working on that strategy before we got there, but not even a courtesy "Is GAF ready?" didn't help either. Luckily, we were all there and if somebody had been late they had a week and change to show.

Anyways... yeah. EG should change their name to Eternal Guardians, because that's what running the challenge along side them felt like.

On to Tuesday!

Callunah

Neo Member
I hope Callunah can get through the rush, that sucked with the timer last night

Thanks for the well wishes.. but today was a self imposed "NO GW2" day. And Im loving it. Lots of knitting, crocheting, movie watching and relaxing going on. I may need to do more of these GW2 detoxes!! Only thing missing... was a good case of wine. Yep. I said case. not bottle. =)

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls
Logged onto my Mesmer just now and saw that I had ANOTHER tequatl's hoard in my inventory.

Ranger is so green now.

Retro

Yep, I'm doin' my New Mesmer thing. Had to spend a couple Transmute stones, the starter gear wasn't working for me. Eventually I'm gonna throw her some Sylvari T3 (or the Feathered set, haven't decided yet, though that's cheaper) and some of the Celestial ascended (the nice violet stuff). Oh, and Mawdrey.

Ya know. My first Mesmer was meant to be a super adorable Asura, and my Ele is in pretty heavy robes (Priory skin, shows some back and armpit, oddly enough). My Guardian is in Heavy Armor (Primeval mostly) and my Thief went from Trench Coats and hoods to the Strider set (which shows off a bit of skin on the back and legs, but not much else). This is the first female character I have that's in anything skimpy. Feels weird.

That greatsword always has been one of my favorites.

Top greatswords in GW2:

1. Berlinda's Katana

This is simply the best. I am sorry but it simply is. Its also the only skin in the game to be sheath'ed when unequipped. For this reason it also win. It would reach god-tier if the hilt, sheath one day could be dyed.

2. Ebonblade

For the player with a sense of taste, yet some dignity, the Ebonblade is the perfect choice as a weapon that exhilarates its classy lineage. It's like a Iphone 5 in Gold. It's bling without being tacky.
The "Cobalt" is a one trick pony that is good for blue-guardians and not much else. It's like a razer product too much glow.

3. Lovestruck Greatsword

As Elton John once famously sang; "can you feel the decapitation tonightttttt", the Lovestruck Greatsword is more than a nod to Kingdom Hearts. Finally a majestic, feminine yet strong weapon. The classy silver lining goes well with the proud and bold pink exterior giving a feeling of player who knows his wine and only eat fresh shellfish. Quaggans delight.

4. Ghastly Greatsword

For the first year of GW2, this was probably the most popular dungeon based weapon skin in the game, and for good reason. A clean understated look with nighttime blue fire, this weapon doubled as a simple form of watch. Since it only glows at night time, the player is able to sense if its day or night. This is of course possible without, but its nice for when your running dungeons and you dont know what time it is. Particularly if your running night runes.

5. The Guild Sundere

Guild Sundere is one of those skins you dont know how good is, until you have it on your character. Viewing it in preview does not do it justice. It's an example of a model that is more than the sum of its part.
The Guild Sunderers grey and dull gold look goes well with most character schemes and its big size and unusual simplistic shape suggests something out of a cross between the roman empire and a traditional zweihander. The result is a great skin with a very high attention to detail. The Guild Shield is the best of the entire pack (and extra prop for going perfect with the Guardians Aegis) but the Sunderer also displays some of the best textures of any weapon in the game. There is a very tall fininite of cracks near the eagle motive. Great skin!

6. Ebon Vanguard Greatsword

A good skin needs to be useable for more than a few types or looks or it misses its park. It's why the Greatsaw is not on this list. As cool as those types of skins are, their use remain limited and you do eventually grow tired of them.

The Vanguard models are some of the most underrated in GW2. Their black/gold color mesh can go with most types of characters, and the Shield, Knife, Staff, Rifle and and Bows all stand out as excellent weapons that works on most characters.

7. Krytan Greatsword

Vastly superior to the Inquest, the Jotun and the Charr Warblade, the Krytan Greatsword is the first Sword after the default Iron swords you get as drops that looks really good. Looking more like a bastard sword than anything else, there is almost something early-medival German Design influence over it. Perhaps early Christianity period.
The brown hilt and lower bondage means its the perfect weapon for a ranger who often doesnt look good with glowy flash weapons.

8. Chaos Greatsword

No skins in GW2 divide the waters as much as the Chaos weapons. For some they are a more lame version of the Foefire series and has nothing despite a overpumped FX effect applied to a basic model, but for others, these are the perfect blend between incredible simple aesthetics, and attention-whoring in just the right amount of doses.

Nobody can argue that Chaos weapons combined with Rampant glowing gear can result in seizures, but what seizures they are!!

9. Sunrise

People have strong emotional feelings about Legendaries. Some due to burn out, some due to jealousy, some due to over-exposure, some due to fanaticism, some just dont get what all the fuss is, but nobody can argue the great effects on sword Sunrise. For some its hilt is way too large and over-bling'ed but the shaft itself is what leaves people in the trenches. It's simply a marvel to look at, and for that reason it goes on this list.

10. Volcanus

Love it or hate it, Volcanus demands attention! Its more than a Ele Elite skill. Its massive size makes it perfect for characters with a fire/flame/lava look, and since there is a lot of armor with those designs it just shows its worth. Its also one of the biggest weapons, and for many bigger is better when it comes to firepower. And this is quite literally, firepower.

This list is official!!

Retro

Damn, that's a good list. Not sure I'd put the Guild Sunderer so high (I'm not a huge fan of the square-end swords), but you hit all of my favorites on there.

Spyware

Really nice list! I don't agree with everything and it's missing a few of my favs but it's still really good! ;P

My fav is the Sovereign Crusader

The "Cobalt" is a one trick pony that is good for blue-guardians and not much else. It's like a razer product too much glow.
[...]
The brown hilt and lower bondage means its the perfect weapon for a ranger who often doesnt look good with glowy flash weapons.

Heh. This is my asura ranger and she will be using Cobalt. Don't have a pic of that tho and atm she's in level limbo and can't use any nice skins so can't snap one either. D:

Mxrz

No Sclerite. No Chiroptophobia. Go home. I'm just not a fan of the katana at all. They are so common in every other game/media. Not crazy about Sunrise either, the brighter colors clash against most dyes. Twilight fares better being dark, but the blade is like paper thin at the right angle.

Ended up with more Pales than expected. Couple alts should be happy.

The first greatsword I used for any amount of time was the Krytan GS. I probably had it for the first five months I played the game.

Went from it to Khrysaor, the Golden Sword. (This is still one of my favorite outfits.)

I used the Ascended skin a couple of times, but I'm not a huge fan of it.

Insert missing image from the two or three days I used Cobalt.

I used Ebonblade for a little over a month, just recently.

And right now I'm using the dreaded katana.

Spyware

And right now I'm using the dreaded katana.
Love the character on all of the pics. But that last pic is fantastic. Great taste :) Also love Khrysaor. It's very special.

Remembered another greatsword I really like, Scorpiones!

And Belladonna is one of those I don't really like the look of...
I never planned on using anything like it until I tried it on my new sylvari warrior by misclicking in the wardrobe. My planned look for him didn't really work and I was looking for something different. This was different. I like how something can look good on a character even tho it doesn't look that good by itself.

Top greatswords in GW2:

1. Berlinda's Katana
This is simply the best. I am sorry but it simply is. Its also the only skin in the game to be sheath'ed when unequipped. For this reason it also win. It would reach god-tier if the hilt, sheath one day could be dyed.

200_s.gif

I eagerly await your icecream ranking. Will totes not be surprised when i see "1. Vanilla".

leng jai

The Katana doesn't really work in GW2 once you you start swinging it. All the animations don't make sense.

Twilight not making the list is a nice joke also, especially when you listed the woeful Chaos Greatsword and Guild Sunderer.

Ruh roh .... Walrus what have you done ?

now Ash is gonna upload so many pictures of his favorite Greatswords that the the GAF servers crash.
I'm pretty sure his favourite sword is all of them since he used to collect all of them.

Twilight/Sunrise/Eternity best greatswords. Samurai sword is ugly.

So when do we find out that we lost in the raffle? hundreds of thousand of gamers trying to get 1000 skins, gave over 50 ..and will lose to someone who put 3 in..

So when do we find out that we lost in the raffle? hundreds of thousand of gamers trying to get 1000 skins, gave over 50 ..and will lose to someone who put 3 in..
I'll probably win, since I have a hot streak going right now.

I would guess we will find out tomorrow once the update drops.

Unlike previous events spent more gold for this event, bought Mad king outfit, and extra bank storage for stacks of Candy corn because of the Candy Corn Gobbler Pack, and i spent around 80 gold in ToT bags...that bank tab has 27 slots 25 of those are stacks of Candy corn lol..

Lunar15

Khrysaor, the Golden Sword is my favorite and nothing has really surpassed it in my eyes. It's simple, yet elegant. It lacks the fireworks of newer stuff, but it really blends in with most armor sets and doesn't look garish as a result. There's just something about it that feels really heroic.

Pro

So it is way more cost effective to buy 3 Candy Corn Cobs off the TP than a Superior Rune of Holding to get a 20 slot bag right?

Got two of the 20 slot Halloween pails from my own efforts but thinking I will buy a third with 3 Candy Corn Cobs off of the TP.

Yerp, considerably cheaper.
2g40s+- per cob by converting from 1k candy corn (40s economy), so 7g20s per bag. The rune alone costs 10, no?

Pro

Yeah the rune is supposed to be 10g from Master Craftsman and I think it is ~12g on TP. Figured I'd better jump on this deal before Halloween ends tomorrow and the pail is gone.

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls
Sadly, my country's ice cream selection is miserable.

Can do one comparing to sex acts, tho.

Interested to see what the chainsaw skin ranks as on that list.

So it is way more cost effective to buy 3 Candy Corn Cobs off the TP than a Superior Rune of Holding to get a 20 slot bag right?

Got two of the 20 slot Halloween pails from my own efforts but thinking I will buy a third with 3 Candy Corn Cobs off of the TP.

This seems so much simpler than my current method of doing the halloween pvp reward track.

nataku

I should have paid more attention this Halloween. I dismissed it because it's just a rehash of last year, but I didn't know of the raffle thing.

Only managed to get one shiny wrapper. Then the commander left and everyone just scattered.

I should have paid more attention this Halloween. I dismissed it because it's just a rehash of last year, but I didn't know of the raffle thing.

Only managed to get one shiny wrapper. Then the commander left and everyone just scattered.

Now watch that one shiny wrapper beat out people who submitted dozens. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom