• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT4| The only subscription you need is this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls
Guro. Obviously.

85otEAC.gif

if you're in the US a great way to kill time waiting for tomorrow's patch is to vote!

vote!!

Just remember to bring your state ID!

Pro

I should have paid more attention this Halloween. I dismissed it because it's just a rehash of last year, but I didn't know of the raffle thing.

Only managed to get one shiny wrapper. Then the commander left and everyone just scattered.

It was worth it for farming Candy Corn to get multiple 20-slot pails and the new Halloween Costume. Also scored two new mini pets (Bloody Prince and Spider). Also ended up with about 10 shiny wrappers. Not to mention good magic find food and items plus the occasional Dragonite Ore and Emp. Fragments. All from easy ToT Bag farming in the Labyrinth. Labyrinth also pwns for completing daily and monthly categories on the quick. Was a good Halloween event and useful. Gained a bunch of Achievement Points as well. Looking forward to Christmas.

Retro

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=923026

It looks like it is over alreayd brah.

Stay in Americans and wait for the update. Tyria > IRL anyway.

That's a terrible bit of advice. Polls have gotten worse and worse at predicting elections, especially midterm elections where turnout is lower.

Besides, that's looking at the Senate race. There's tons of local elections going on as well, and by proximity alone have more impact on daily life.

Mxrz

Absurd amounts of luck drop from ToT bags too. At one point I had around 120 exotic lucks in storage. Also have enough Magic Find consumables to last me until GW 3 releases.

Pro

Yeah I didn't do too much ToT bag farming and I still went from like 80%-91% luck. Didn't even know it capped at 300% til recently. Had it at 222% for one world boss recently with boosters. Highest I've ever had it. Still didn't get anything good. More to work on.

Yeah I didn't do too much ToT bag farming and I still went from like 80%-91% luck. Didn't even know it capped at 300% til recently. Had it at 222% for one world boss recently with boosters. Highest I've ever had it. Still didn't get anything good. More to work on.

Doesn't affect chests.

Pro

Does anyone have thoughts on Ascended Knight or Soldier armor for an Ele? I'm getting close and I know Berserker is the general consensus for PVE, but I currently have Exotic Soldier and really like the toughness boost. I can actually stay alive for 3 or 4 attacks on many boss/champion fights which gives me enough time to heal. I think I'm going to stick with either Knight or Soldier for my Ascended. I've never had an issue dealing damage with my Ele so I don't think I need Berserker all that much. And you don't really need to deal much damage when you have a group anyway. Staying alive is more valuable.

EDIT: Forgot to mention that all my Accessories are Ascended Berserker stats as well so I am pretty well-balanced which I think has been a good thing.

Went from 193% MF to 244% MF with just ToT bags. Didn't get overly lucky with Oontz necklaces out of around 60,000 bags (only got one) but I got two Poly gems the night of the patch for 5g/10g buy orders before people figured out their rarity. The money I made from those supported my ToT habit for these past couple weeks.

ToT bags are the best form of gambling; the MF increase was worth the risk/investment all by itself.

No Sclerite. No Chiroptophobia. Go home. I'm just not a fan of the katana at all. They are so common in every other game/media. Not crazy about Sunrise either, the brighter colors clash against most dyes. Twilight fares better being dark, but the blade is like paper thin at the right angle.

Ended up with more Pales than expected. Couple alts should be happy.

The problem with both Sclerite and Chirotophobia is that they are way too much. Way way too much. I'd rather use the Greatsaw which at least is a novel idea, than these. I'll admit that the Chiro is a cool idea with the bats, but Sclerite? That's like if Perez Hilton tried to make a baroque painting out of poop.

The Katana doesn't really work in GW2 once you you start swinging it. All the animations don't make sense.

Twilight not making the list is a nice joke also, especially when you listed the woeful Chaos Greatsword and Guild Sunderer.

You're wrong. I don't think Samurai movements need to be used to make it work. Because of the sheath I don't think the LOL-NARUTO-SEPIROTH-XXX-annoyance sticks out as much. It looks more like a curved sword. Its only when wielded you really see the Katana style.

200_s.gif

I eagerly await your icecream ranking. Will totes not be surprised when i see "1. Vanilla".

Shots fired. I don't like Vanilla ice cream and it offends me you think Katana is vanilla. Listen. Sometimes there is a reason why things are popular. Queen is not a bad band because it's universally loved and there is nothing wrong with listening to them even if most people do.

I don't get why you three guys are so anti-Katana. Who did you meet.. Which Dragon ball fans did you encounter that where so annoying that the mere sight of them make you angry?

Like I get it - I do. When I see a person with this:

I HATE THAT ZEPHYRITE HELMET MORE THAN ANYTHING. It's like someone tried to cosplay Shiva the destroyer and got fashion design advice from bird man along the way. I HATE IT. IT'S SO UGLY I can't handle it.

But that's on me. That's not the helmets fault. I have to look inward. And so I ask you guys to stop the Katana discrimination and let yourself be taken by the majestic nature of it.

We need the 1 handed katana ;

It's the Canthan way. It was how I rolled during Factions. It would be amazing also to have Tanto knife. That would be great.
I think really what Katana represents is just understated weapons. I see that this is asked for a lot on the forums as well. I'm a simple kind of Walrus with basic Walrusian needs.

I really would like to see more simple models. Shapes where the contours are clear but the design not over blown. Like Raidens sword from MGR;

It's so simple but the details are subtle. It looks like a cross between a katana, a metal stick and with a slight curve of persian Shamshir.

Assassins Creed also has some really nice swords;

Anyway, top 10 ice cream:

1. Chocolate / Caramel TIE - If I'm getting diabetes, then I'll get it in the best way possible... with Syrup in my fleeting vains!!

2. Strawberry Cheesecake. Holy moly!

3. Cookie Dough - Not for the dough yo!

4. Coconut, Pistachio, Cherry, Rashpberry flavors TIE - These flavors are golden when added to something else. they are that weird thing that gives the other things an edge. *breathing intensifies*

5. Cookies and Cream - Novelty? Yes. But lasting? Yessss.

6. Nutella/Nougat/Fudge - Make you fuller than feris fullers fat friday foff

7. Ben & Jerrys Chunky Monkey - Normally banana ice cream, like normal strawberry ice cream and lemon sorbet can be a bit run off the mill. It's good, but you kinda wish you where OD'ing on some Lion/Bounty bars instead so you could hate yourself more after your binge eating. The Chunky Monkey flavor gives a sense of dignity to Banana ice cream we haven't seen for a long time.

8. Peanut Butter ice cream - The nut butter ice creams (almonds/pecan/hazel/macadamia/whatever) are sort of gross and you cant have too much, but the early bites. my god. You feel like a dirty hobo eating out of the trash can. It's so wrong but its so right. The sugar rush takes you down to level beyond the human indecency. Into Asura land.

9. Mint - There is a freshness to mint flavored ice cream that is superior to to Vanilla. Mint is too a good ice cream cone what ginger is to sushi. a refreshing taste that puts the other stuff into perspective.

10. Red Velvet - I was going between this and key Lime pie Ice cream.. both are good, I guess it's a TIE.

This list is super official.

Pro

If youre dead set on skipping zerk, knight beats soldier.

Id just go zerk and use arcane shield, tho.

But I'd lose a good 2500 HP using Knight over Soldier. My thing is I don't think the extra attack power and precision would prevent me from killing enemies any easier (just faster) whereas the Vitality and Toughness do help me to survive longer. I can deal with killing enemies slower playing solo, but in group events survivability is more critical especially when you have 100's of people attacking and dealing damage. Nobody likes to be that guy that is constantly downed and in need of res.

Shots fired. I don't like Vanilla ice cream and it offends me you think Katana is vanilla. Listen. Sometimes there is a reason why things are popular. Queen is not a bad band because it's universally loved and there is nothing wrong with listening to them even if most people do.

I don't get why you three guys are so anti-Katana. Who did you meet.. Which Dragon ball fans did you encounter that where so annoying that the mere sight of them make you angry?

It is not about being popular. It is about being overused to the point of becoming boring. It is also the same reason why the game does not have capes.

Locking out the popular choices forces the designers to come up with crazier, often more interesting designs.

Katanas, naginatas and wakizashis are just too simple, safe and boring. On the same note, if you play Queen, Beatles and Elvis all day in your office, i'd be inclined to think that you're a boring fuck who hates branching out. It's like going to a new country and asking locals where the closest McDonalds is.

Were it up to me, the game wouldn't even have swords or greatswords at all. Planescape Torment, with a single exception, did that all the way back in 99, and the game was better for it.

Acceptable ice cream list, tho.

Also the chainsaw sword design isn't new or imaginative. It is straight lifted from Games Workshops.

But I'd lose a good 2500 HP using Knight over Soldier. My thing is I don't think the extra attack power and precision would prevent me from killing enemies any easier (just faster) whereas the Vitality and Toughness do help me to survive longer. I can deal with killing enemies slower playing solo, but in group events survivability is more critical especially when you have 100's of people attacking and dealing damage. Nobody likes to be that guy that is constantly downed and in need of res.

2500 hp, is, quite literally, one single hit from most dungeon bosses. They usually hit for more than that. Arcane Shield completely negates 3 hits worth of damage.
Staff ele is tied with Thief for highest damage in the game, btw, well above everybody else.

As an ele, you're there to provide balls deep damage, might, and conjured weapons. If you need the extra 2500hp, knock yourself out. Answer to higher survivability with a cloth class seldomly is in facetanking, tho.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=923026

It looks like it is over alreayd brah.

Stay in Americans and wait for the update. Tyria > IRL anyway.
this isn't how it works, and I forgive your canadianity. people aren't going to vote for whether or not the republicans win or lose they are going to vote for their local, state, and federal delegate-level representatives. the republicans will take the senate but there are a huge number of individual/state races that are very close and the governorship in mine is a good example of one.

Pro

2500 hp, is, quite literally, one single hit from most dungeon bosses. They usually hit for more than that. Arcane Shield completely negates 3 hits worth of damage.
Staff ele is tied with Thief for highest damage in the game, btw, well above everybody else.

As an ele, you're there to provide balls deep damage, might, and conjured weapons. If you need the extra 2500hp, knock yourself out. Answer to higher survivability with a cloth class seldomly is in facetanking, tho.

You make a good point. I think I am often times being targeted in boss fights because my Toughness is in fact pretty high and reducing that could limit bosses targeting me helping me to stay alive anyway. Not to mention a good team would have a heavy armor class tank as well. I could also keep my Exotic Soldier set. Arcane shield only lasts 5s and has a 75s recharge so what do you do while it is recharging?

Moondrop

Banned
Please please please keep election bullshit out of this thread. I don't want to get banned again.

Arcane shield only lasts 5s and has a 75s recharge so what do you do while it is recharging?
Mist form, fire 4, air 2, and earth 3 will directly evade/blind/reflect attacks. Soft CC like cripple or chill will let you kite. I'm not generally a berserker advocate but it goes great with staff ele. It's all about not getting hit.

Shiokazu

im trying to go celestial rightt now, if you want i can tell you how it went later on.

well, its kind of expensive in terms of time to make. i dont know if full celestial + traveler runes are going to be worth my while, but i`ll take the risk.

Mist form, fire 4, air 2, and earth 3 will directly evade/blind/reflect attacks. Soft CC like cripple or chill will let you kite. I'm not generally a berserker advocate but it goes great with staff ele. It's all about not getting hit.
45WW0wy.jpg

Plus it's not like your group won't be blinding the mob, providing aegis/reflect/whathaveyou and stuff like that.

Tbh most dungeon content will be dead before you need an Arcane Shield refresh.

Make no mistake, your first dungeon runs will be pain.

Pro

I'm much much better now at dodging and evading than I was when I first started playing GW. Maybe I'm thinking of myself back then. But also it seems you get into random PUG groups with people who can't tank properly more often than not. Then being the glass cannon Ele, you're always downed or always evading and not causing the damage you're supposed to.

I'm much much better now at dodging and evading than I was when I first started playing GW. Maybe I'm thinking of myself back then. But also it seems you get into random PUG groups with people who can't tank properly more often than not. Then being the glass cannon Ele, you're always downed or always evading and not causing the damage you're supposed to.

A zerk Lava *Font* is instant cast and constantly hits for 4k+ per second. Your 3 does...whatever damage, but it probably adds to another 500 damage per sec, also instant cast.

That, by itself, is better than what most random non zerk pugs do. And you can drop those while running around like a headless chicken.

I found that the solution to terrible pugs is leaving them, and not swapping to hp gear, tho.

Pro

I think yall have convinced me. I'll learn how to make it work. And I still have the Exotic Soldier set regardless. Does Ascended armor NOT Soulbind just like the Ascended weapons? So I could theoretically move it to alts as well?

Mxrz

Went from 193% MF to 244% MF with just ToT bags. Didn't get overly lucky with Oontz necklaces out of around 60,000 bags (only got one) but I got two Poly gems the night of the patch for 5g/10g buy orders before people figured out their rarity. The money I made from those supported my ToT habit for these past couple weeks.

ToT bags are the best form of gambling; the MF increase was worth the risk/investment all by itself.

Frrgk. I thought I was leet for going from 188 to 193. The poly gems feel like a trap, like its a concept we'll see more of in the future. Its seems an obvious avenue for infusions, or other manner of gold sinks.

The problem with both Sclerite and Chirotophobia is that they are way too much. Way way too much. I'd rather use the Greatsaw which at least is a novel idea, than these. I'll admit that the Chiro is a cool idea with the bats, but Sclerite? That's like if Perez Hilton tried to make a baroque painting out of poop..

It is the blade on the Chirotophobia that does it for me. Its a design that seems simple, but something I can't recall seeing in a game before. I dig that. The actual bats flying out of the sword I could take or leave.

The Sclerite base shape avoids the paper-thin aspect of most of GW2's weapons. That's a huge plus, I also like that the effects are pretty subtle. The drip is constant, even in motion. The eye blinks regardless of the player. Plus, "Death. Darkness! Ring Out!"

Thorgal

Speaking about builds , i know that Dagger /focus is currently the meta but how well does a Staff ele 6/6/2/0/0 fare in Dungeon/ fractal ?

Mxrz

Its the only way I'd ever play my ele. Not sure what D/Focus would do that is better than a perma-lavafont in a dungeon. Although I think my stats are something like 6/0/0/4/4.

Ele has 3 metas. D/F, Scp/D, Staff. All are viable.
Top damage is staff with 64220, tho.

Sc/D LH is usually favoured because it gets tons of mightstacks and blasts on top of utility, fwiw.

and i thought the 3500plus bags i farmed was a lot, bow to the king..

Got the Old Pillow Case unlocked the Mini Candy Corn Ghoulemental right away..

leng jai

You're wrong. I don't think Samurai movements need to be used to make it work. Because of the sheath I don't think the LOL-NARUTO-SEPIROTH-XXX-annoyance sticks out as much. It looks more like a curved sword. Its only when wielded you really see the Katana style.

All the animations look like you're wielding a super heavy greatsword. I fail to see how that can look good when you're using a skimpy katana.

The sword itself has little no design at all. It literally looks exactly like how I'd imagine a bog standard katana to look. There's really nothing special about it at all, only reason why it's popular is because it's the only one in the game.

Thorgal

All the animations look like you're wielding a super heavy greatsword. I fail to see how that can look good when you're using a skimpy katana.

The sword itself has little no design at all. It literally looks exactly like how I'd imagine a bog standard katana to look. There's really nothing special about it at all, only reason why it's popular is because it's the only one in the game.

I tend to agree .

It should have looked more like this then just your run of the mill Katana :

RFacgdv.jpg

Anno

The ToT bags will have REALLY paid off if I win one of those 2012 Weapons Skins tomorrow!

Glad I'm not the only one who did this. On my ~20,000th bag I think. Shit luck so far but the drops have mostly paid for the bags and I've gotten nearly 60mf out of it. Going hard one last night then saving some of them for later to see how they price up.

Moondrop

Banned
Zerk staff ele is powerful enough that as long as you go 6 in fire, you can mess about with the other traits. I personally go 62042; I love the cleanse on water attunement and would never run without the Blasting Staff trait. The real debate is about which Fire Grandmaster trait to take- I go with might stacking because I don't have easy access to blast finishers.

Zerk staff ele is powerful enough that as long as you go 6 in fire, you can mess about with the other traits. I personally go 62042; I love the cleanse on water attunement and would never run without the Blasting Staff trait. The real debate is about which Fire Grandmaster trait to take- I go with might stacking because I don't have easy access to blast finishers.

I'd have to run math on it, but i'd be hard pressed to believe that the extra... 3-4 might could ever surpass the two lava font ticks and the partywide fury you get. Can always blast via Arcane Wave/Brilliance rotation.

But yeah, Blasting Staff is a huge QoL improvement. Would ditch 2 points in stone for it in a heartbeat. Plus, in theory, it makes meteor shower get extra hits.
-
Went and tested it. 5 casts without Blasting, best result was 6 hits, worst 3. 5 casts with, best result was 11 hits, worst was 7. Blasting nearly doubles meteor's damage.

Moondrop

Banned
nevermind really. better keep that about elementalists for myself.
I use your secret in PvP. :p

I'd have to run math on it, but i'd be hard pressed to believe that the extra... 3-4 might could ever surpass the two lava font ticks and the partywide fury you get. Can always blast via Arcane Wave/Brilliance rotation.
I don't run either arcane skill; if I did I'd use that trait. But also these are 10 sec might stacks that keep my Runes of Strength active while I swap attunements. Plus you can stack might while fire-attuned but using conjures. I think Ice Bow grants a nice bundle; haven't tested in a while.

Out of the dozens of AC 1/3 paths, I never noticed these horrible textures in the cul-de-sac right before you fight the final bosses.
A sheet of rib cages. Okay...

Has there been a long-running MMORPG that regularly updated graphics to a significant amount of the original worlds? GW2 has so many subpar textures that really stick out. This and recycled autoattack animations among various weapons and professions (e.g. guardian/warrior mace versus mesmer scepter versus engineer wrench) have always stood out while exploring.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
There's this strange rock in Splintered Coast somewhere near the Quaggan village (the one where you WP when you die in Tequatl) with low res texture. It stands out really odd.

Emitan

Out of the dozens of AC 1/3 paths, I never noticed these horrible textures in the cul-de-sac right before you fight the final bosses.

A sheet of rib cages. Okay...

Has there been a long-running MMORPG that regularly updated graphics to a significant amount of the original worlds? GW2 has so many subpar textures that really stick out. This and recycled autoattack animations among various weapons and professions (e.g. guardian/warrior mace versus mesmer scepter versus engineer wrench) have always stood out while exploring.

Wow? Don't really play it so I'm not sure.

Moondrop

Banned
Ice Bow 4 can stack up to 4 stacks of might from a group of foes.

So now that we have two cases of account items that consume over-abundant materials, what's the final verdict on Mawdrey II? On paper the cost of a clay pot on the TP appears worth the value of clearing inventory space. Given the effort put into development of the backpiece and its crafting, I find it unlikely they would introduce another bloodstone sink.

Hedge

(Spoiler for the patch)
It looks as if we're getting a few armor sets in PvE. I like the sound of that, honestly. I hope it's something akin to the ambrite weapons. I found them surprisingly attainable if you put your mind to it.

(Spoiler for the patch)
It looks as if we're getting a few armor sets in PvE. I like the sound of that, honestly. I hope it's something akin to the ambrite weapons. I found them surprisingly attainable if you put your mind to it.

In all of their PoI shows they keep talking about how much they learned from Dry Top and that they will continue doing similar things with future updates.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom