• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT4| The only subscription you need is this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

spiritfox

Way too much. Which my 46 character slots, 50-ish makeovers, all but one outfit, most store skins, a bunch of store minis and multiple sets of Royal Pass/Copper-Fed/Infinite Tools are proof of :p
And that's not even all of it. Ugh. :D

Nah. A bad week could result in 21 jute scraps! You're not guaranteed to get all three tiers like with the ore.
I'll probably buy it on sale together with the other basic stuff I have skipped. But not in a hurry to do that at all :p

Anet thanks you for single handedly funding Season 2.

Yo cheers. Knew about the merchants after events I think. Are you talking about the ones after heart events that you can spend the purple currency on. Or are there vendors after random events too?

And now keeping a look out for named NPCs

Not NPC from heart events (those are like the traditinal MMO quests pretty much). Events that are usually marked by an orange circle on the map, they usually have an NPC leading that event. Follow those NPCs back to where ever they go to see if the even you did will spawn another event.

5il3nc3r

Way too much. Which my 46 character slots, 50-ish makeovers, all but one outfit, most store skins, a bunch of store minis and multiple sets of Royal Pass/Copper-Fed/Infinite Tools are proof of :p
And that's not even all of it. Ugh. :D

That's insane. 46 character slots? But there's only 8 classes in GW2! And here i am still mulling over purchasing a single outfit.

Spyware

That's insane. 46 character slots? But there's only 8 classes in GW2! And here i am still mulling over purchasing a single outfit.
It started with 15. One of each armor class of each race. Then 1 more for key farming. Then 25 more, for one of each class per race. So 40 characters, 8 per race. Then I had a couple more ideas on looks and also missed having more heavy armor characters since I love both Warrior and Guardian. So I made one more of each race :p Pretty insane, yeah.

Cracklox

Not NPC from heart events (those are like the traditinal MMO quests pretty much). Events that are usually marked by an orange circle on the map, they usually have an NPC leading that event. Follow those NPCs back to where ever they go to see if the even you did will spawn another event.

Ok then. I'm missing more then I thought. Wheres a goddam shiny map indicator telling me there's something good when you need one
jk

Are the potential rewards consistent for each event or is it a randomised thing?

Ok then. I'm missing more then I thought. Wheres a goddam shiny map indicator telling me there's something good when you need one
jk

Are the potential rewards consistent for each event or is it a randomised thing?

69199-get-used-to-disappointment-gif-bjgn.gif

They are consistent, though.

Retro

Hmmm. Seems like it may go by a little quicker then I thought. I'm just short of 28 and the leveling seems to be getting a bit slower. The personal story seems like the best source of xp so far but I think they only roll around every 10 levels or so. Dungeons, as you say, seem like they'll be the way to go for best xp gains. They're designed for groups right?

Yep, 5-player groups for dungeons.

So, the XP required to level used to plateau around level 30 (instead of each level taking longer than the last, you just hit a point where every level takes approximately the same amount of time), but they changed things in September to make early leveling faster until Level 15 or so. I'm not sure if they changed anything beyond that, but the good news is that if it is slowing down, it likely won't get any slower. It might even feel faster since the zones are a little more dense in terms of DEs and enemies (Orr is wall-to-wall assholes, even after they thinned them out).

Heh. Hadn't even thought of engineers till I seen a few running round flame throwering everything last night. I HAVE to get me some of that.

I was originally debating between Warrior and Guardian for my main, having come from other MMOs where I couldn't get into anything that wasn't melee ("casters are too squishy and stay far from danger," that sort of thing). I created an engineer because it fit a name I had grabbed and ended up loving the shit out of the class. It's my go-to profession when I just want to have fun.

Tangent aside, and relating to GW2 I started out interested in about 3 classes. After having played a little now and seen the capabilities of some of the others, I reckon there's about 5 of the 8 that seem REALLY interesting, and the other 3 maybe I'll check out 1 day as well. I also feel like I'm missing out on a big part of the game if I don't at least TRY out the various classes and playstyles in these sorts of games. Some people like running around as the same character playing a gear refinement game for 100's of hours (and thats fine), while I prefer to try and play the goddam game in every way the developers made it to be played and then stick to whichever proves to be the best combination of fun/effective. In MMOS/RPGS/ARPGS where they're can be so much depth per class that can take a while.....

The only class I can't get into are Necromancers. Even professions I would have normally stayed away from I end up really enjoying. Elementalist, for example, can use daggers and conjured weapons to become a "melee caster." Mesmer is a riot once you get some of their key traits unlocked and plays like nothing else in gaming (like having a duelist with a small army of suicide bombers at your side). Don't be shocked if you end up with 8 character slots.

Yeah i've sort of noticed that with the world. Everything seems to have a purpose and be there for a reason. There's just so much of it too.

And more coming every two weeks for months at a time. =p

Heh. No probs. I'll work on asking shorter questions though. There will be crafting questions incoming soon, but I need to figure out some of the basics first. Then I'll ask the kind folk here to fill in the blanks

Crafting isn't the best I've seen (Vanguard is still the best... or was, since it's shuttered now), but there's a lot of convenience features like fast repeat crafting, stacking recipes and such. Discovering items always awards more XP than just following recipes. Most items are going to have two basic components (a sword will have a hilt and a blade, for example) and then an "Insignia / Inscription" item that determines the stats. In addition to gathered materials, those also require items that only drop from monsters, like fangs, blood, bone, scales, etc. If you've been using the "Deposit Collectables" feature, your bank probably already has some of this stuff accumulating.

There's more in-depth guides out there, but those are kind of the basics.

jk

Dynamic Events you can trigger will usually (but not always) have a little orange icon (
Event_star_%28map_icon%29.png
) on the map and over the NPC. It's usually worth it to chat with an NPC, especially if they're sort of hanging around an area or they seem chatty.

Not everything is going to be marked though. There's a little tiny decorative item in a little tiny room underneath a staircase in one of the dungeons that triggers an event, and you really only notice the trigger you stand right next to that object. I probably ran past it for a year before I found out about it, and I'd be willing to bet there's a ton of people who still don't know it's there.

Rewards for DEs and hearts going to be XP, a little money and Karma. Instead of having to pick from a few quest rewards, Karma is sort of a "quest reward currency" that you can spend by talking to the Heart NPCs once you've completed their objective (all of them turn into vendors, and some of them have unique skins) or save if you don't like what they offer. That's a decent way to fill gaps in your gear, but apart from skins not terribly thrilling. Don't worry too much about hoarding karma either, once you get to max level you'll be sitting on a ton of it (I'm just over 4 million and I just spent a shitload on Obsidian Shards).

Any events that grant chests (both physical ones in the world and the little ones that pop up in the UI) are usually going to be kind of junky, the notorious "Two blues and a green." They usually don't sell for much on the trading post or vendors, but you can salvage them for Essences of Luck which increases your Magic Find (an account-wide stat that improves your odds of getting better drops, at least in theory).

Cracklox

Is that Zorro being disappointing? Again...

Bah, not so bad. Thats the case most of the time with games that have a randomized loot element. 99% of what you find is useless, but its that 1% that keeps you hunting

Done for the night. Not too many levels, but getting a better feel for the combat. As someone suggested, dagger/pistol combo for a thief seems to work well. Being able to blind, hit and run + keep range when necessary is pretty cool. Going with caltrops, heal evade and stealth cleanse which seems to be ok for most situations. About to unlock elite skills though so I'll have to re-assess then. Oh and unlocked traits and went crit. Always crit right? But definetley feel like I'm pulling my weight in scraps a bit better now.

Games good yo

Edit - Thanks again Retro. Drunk, tired and bedtime here. Will likely get back to you on one or two of those things

Retro

Bah, not so bad. Thats the case most of the time with games that have a randomized loot element. 99% of what you find is useless, but its that 1% that keeps you hunting

Yep, you've pretty much got your expectations right where they need to be in terms of loot rewards. On the bright side, at least salvaging blues and greens gives you crafting materials and luck (before the magic find change, it was just materials), if you're going to be salvaging stuff you might as well get something semi-useful out of it.

Done for the night. Not too many levels, but getting a better feel for the combat. As someone suggested, dagger/pistol combo for a thief seems to work well. Being able to blind, hit and run + keep range when necessary is pretty cool. Going with caltrops, heal evade and stealth cleanse which seems to be ok for most situations. About to unlock elite skills though so I'll have to re-assess then. Oh and unlocked traits and went crit. Always crit right? But definetley feel like I'm pulling my weight in scraps a bit better now.

Thief is a great profession, and the one that feels the most responsive when I get in the right mindset and it 'clicks'. When I'm on my thief I sort of fall into the habit of playing the "How many enemies can I kill before one of them manages to damage me?" game. It's like playing Batman.

Dagger / Dagger is a lot of fun, though pistol offhand is ridiculously good for PVE because of the near constant re-application of Blind. Shortbow is a solid choice for when you need some breathing room (#3. Disabling Shot's backwards evade is the real star) and will be useful in group situations for combos (especially the blast finisher on #2. Cluster Bomb). I also like mainhand Sword for the evasion / condition removal, but don't use it nearly as often.

I have a hard time playing any thief build that doesn't put 3 points into Acrobatics. The first minor trait (Expeditious Dodger, gain swiftness on dodge) is decent enough and you've got some decent choices for your first major trait (Power of Inertia is respectable, Descent of Shadow is great in PVP / WvW, Fleet Shadow is great for stealth builds), but Feline Grace is what it's all about. Gaining back almost a quarter of your endurance after dodging, for a profession that needs to dodge as much as a thief to survive is just the cat's pajamas.

Lunar15

The Silverwastes are scarily accurate to what I said season 2 should be back when it was first announced. That's pretty great. Haven't had a lot of time to explore it though.

Lunar15

Have you played the story yet? What do you think?

I've only played the first three missions or so. I actually like Trahearne as a character, so it was neat to hear his voice again. I really wanted Pact stuff in season 2, so everything has been right up my alley. Everything has the appropriate amount of gravity so far, and that's really what I was disappointed with in season 1.

I'm just glad we're past the whole "Nah, my country doesn't want to fight the dragons because REASONS" phase of the story. I understand why they do it, but I always like it better once we've moved past that point and we're moving forward with the story.

I'm not far in, but if I had to have a complaint, it's that Mordremoth is such a faceless villain that it's less compelling than it should be. They've been good at showing his affect on the world, so I'm not too upset, but him contacting the protagonists would be pretty cool. People consider the Dragons boring because they never really talk. They're forces of nature. While I'm fine with that, I think it'd be cool placate everyone by having them show a bit more intelligence.

One bit of spoilers I suppose:
If Canach is supposed to be the Sylvari member of Destiny's Edge 2: Destiny Boogaloo, he's a great character to pick. He's the anti-mary sue. Sylvari characters seem to always suffer for some mary sueness, but he absolutely does not. He's conflicted, troubling, and not completely trustworthy. He doesn't mesh well with the rest of the group, which I consider a good thing.

spiritfox

Not everything is going to be marked though. There's a little tiny decorative item in a little tiny room underneath a staircase in one of the dungeons that triggers an event, and you really only notice the trigger you stand right next to that object. I probably ran past it for a year before I found out about it, and I'd be willing to bet there's a ton of people who still don't know it's there.

Wait, which dungeon?

Also, Engineer is the best class. A true jack-of-all-trades with a pretty high skill floor but once you get it, you can do anything. Not too many drawbacks too.

Speaking of hidden dungeon events, I've never fought the Ooze Royalty in Citadel of Flame. The thought of an event being there, continuously untouched after so many CoF runs, taunts me.

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls
Ascalon catacombs, that first staircase down right at the start after the Priory camp. There's a room under there with a torch you can pull to spawn 5 ghosts.

You're encroaching on Hawkian's territory. It's his secret to share.

That's not how gw2 works.

From events you will get random blues, greens and yellows. Blues and greens are salvaged.
If the yellow is a dagger, greatsword or staff, it goes straight to the TP. If the yellow is anything else, it gets salvaged for ectoplasm, which you will bank or sell in the TP.

Every once in a while you will get an exotic. You will check what rune or sigil it contains, then compare sigil/rune prices vs item price on the TP. If sigil/rune price is superior or very close, you will salvage it.

You will run dungeons, eotm or craft/buy exotic gear of your preferred stat choice. These are all 100% chance of getting over time.

You *very* seldomly get legit usable gear in gw2 from loot drops. Drop tables are too diluted to be reliable in any way, shape, or form.

This is for late game, evidently. For leveling, just equip whatever.

Cool thanks. Copper salvage-o-matic it is then. I'll hold hold off on the others until there is a sale. A general question for everyone in this thread: How much have you spent on the gem store? Just curious because after reading this thread, i feel like i'm the only one here who haven't' purchased anything.

Probably about $50-60 bucks since launch. Axe, Pick, Salvage-O-Matic, bank tab, some keys when the game first launched.

I just wish it was easier to farm for stuff. Like right now I'm trying to get some Linen ... it's way more of a value for my time to just buy gems, convert to gold, then buy the mats, but I feel dirty, so I'm trying to actually 'work' towards it.

Slipper slope.

Taffer

Speaking of hidden dungeon events, I've never fought the Ooze Royalty in Citadel of Flame. The thought of an event being there, continuously untouched after so many CoF runs, taunts me.

Hawkian has been known to throw entire parties of GAF at the hated oppressive oozes.
Longest CoF run evar.

Thorgal

Well if you want we could do that run later today or in the weekend .

I need to do more dungeons anyway .

Probably about $50-60 bucks since launch. Axe, Pick, Salvage-O-Matic, bank tab, some keys when the game first launched.

I just wish it was easier to farm for stuff. Like right now I'm trying to get some Linen ... it's way more of a value for my time to just buy gems, convert to gold, then buy the mats, but I feel dirty, so I'm trying to actually 'work' towards it.

Slipper slope.

If you are running Silver Wastes and you are getting lots of Bags of Gear, open those Bags of Gear on a character at level 50-60, you will get blue items and green items that when you salvage will give you Linen. You will only get linen form light armor pieces.

You can also do same thing with dungeon armor, the rare armor not the exotic.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
lox, your attitude is crazy awesome <3 I don't know if anyone mentioned it, but there are a few big ol' events you might that are accessible at your level you might like to see. If anyone catches him online at the right time, take him to SB, FE, JW, or the Frozen Maw and don't spoil 'em!
One bit of spoilers I suppose:
If Canach is supposed to be the Sylvari member of Destiny's Edge 2: Destiny Boogaloo, he's a great character to pick. He's the anti-mary sue. Sylvari characters seem to always suffer for some mary sueness, but he absolutely does not. He's conflicted, troubling, and not completely trustworthy. He doesn't mesh well with the rest of the group, which I consider a good thing.
I hadn't considered that, I really hope they go in this direction. I hate how pissy your character acts toward him, that stuff on Southsun was like over a year ago, now he's helping us blow up husks and shit, get over it! I don't trust him completely but I want to give him the benefit of the doubt, which is pretty compelling.

I can see why so many people missed that.
Counts as a daily event, Ascalonian event, daily kills, and ghost kills (the rest of the dungeon on explorable is all skelks). I always do it :3

But yeah. I don't know what you guys are talking about there are no suspicious torches in Ascalon.

Hawkian has been known to throw entire parties of GAF at the hated oppressive oozes.
Longest CoF run evar.
Well if you want we could do that run later today or in the weekend .

I need to do more dungeons anyway .
It has been a long time since I last overthrew their regime. Perhaps a journey back into the depths of the Citadel is in order.

xeris

Wait .
then that means Xeris is responsible for funding season 1 ?

Nah. I'm the reason the gem market tanked. I think I bought at most half of my 40 characters with real money and my bank and bag slots were all with in-game gold. I've never added it up, but I'd be surprised if I spent much more than $100 if that.

Pro

Is there a quick method for obtaining the Exposed Weakness chievo in Echoes of the Past? Reduce the Facet of Darkness' health from 75% to 0 in 15 seconds.

Is there a quick method for obtaining the Exposed Weakness chievo in Echoes of the Past? Reduce the Facet of Darkness' health from 75% to 0 in 15 seconds.

No real 'quick' method, just make sure each of the crystal thingies have the fragile thingy on them before attacking all of them as quickly as possible.

Pro

No real 'quick' method, just make sure each of the crystal thingies have the fragile thingy on them before attacking all of them as quickly as possible.

Ah I don't think I realized you could leave the exposed weakness blobs on each dark crystal for an extended period of time. First time through I would just put one blob on one crystal and attack, rinse and repeat. Thanks. This shouldn't be too bad then.

And you'll want to make sure autoattack is turned off in options for that achieve, or you'll probably accidentally one shot some fragile crystals too early.

BTW, your avatar makes me want more episodes of Pro at Cooking with Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom