• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT4| The only subscription you need is this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
GAF, meet Gaf

femalehoomanjcsxt.jpg

Gold and Charred theme to match the logo

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Hmmm hadnt quite got that feeling and love the Arkham games. Only just started to click properly pretty late, last night so i'll give it more time. Fun either way though

Yeah was going dagger/dagger up until the recent mini re-spec, and was struggling a bit. Found alot of the time I was standing out of the battle flinging daggers at fools, which kinda defeated the purpose of of rocking twin daggers. I probably wasnt mobile enough while meleeing (only just starting to appreciate how important dodge is) and was doing it all wrong so I'll probably revisit it at some point. Mainly went that route for the badass factor (and the aforementioned Dragons Dogma feels) but happier now with dagger/pistol.
Have you played around with Pistol Whip yet? It is no exaggeration to say it's one of the best skills in the game

I love the Feline Grace trait personally, but for pure DPS it's not ideal.
Shortbow on the other hand seems great but I've got 1 or two problems at my end with using it. I mentioned earlier the only way I can play this is with the xpadder support in the OP. It works really really well, especially considering its not native. However there are 2 things I'm not sure of. Firstly, left click on thumbstick is supposed to swap weapon loadouts, but that just doesn't happen for me. Have to grab the mouse and click the icon, which isn't at all intuitive. So not sure whats wrong there. The second thing is, I haven't figured out is how to aim the AOE attacks? I get this giant circle of death.... that I can only drop on my own head.... I can grab the mouse to aim, but again its not super intuitive.
This is not working anywhere close to properly for you, so I'd like to help you get it resolved (I'm one of the creators of the solution)

Here are some questions:
  • Are you running Windows 8 by any chance?
  • Do you have User Account Control active?
  • Are you using a 360 controller?
  • Did you do all the keybindings in-game from the instructions?
  • What happens when you press the "Back" button (or equivalent) on your pad once?

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
lox769 said:
Hmmm , at this stage i'm not terribly interested in Warriors or Guardians for the same reason. The old face tank, hack-slash, RAAAH-look at how buff I am playstyle has never really appealed to me. Not to say it still can't be fun with a good skill loadout, but I prefer the promise of the more interesting mobile classes. After seeing mesmers portal around and engineers BURN THE WORLD down I was sold pretty quickly. Rangers remind me of my Demon Hunter in D3, killing everything with turrets, pets, traps and various forms of arrows, and Eles look like a cross between Storm from the Xmen and Human Torch in a fantasy setting. That is to say, I have to check them out at some point.
Thief, Mesmer, Ele, my first three 80s in that order. You have a fan.

No m'lord? No cleavage? Won't steal Evony's playerbase with that weak-ass marketing.

more aggressive marketing and updates are planned to expand the playerbase

The first bit makes me a bit worried about the second bit.

I predict expansion like content to be hinted at in Decmber and official announcement in January.

Anyone know how we can increase Levynes confidence so that he does not delete every post that he makes.

Cracklox

Thief, Mesmer, Ele, my first three 80s in that order. You have a fan.

The order I had to try whilst I was dong some homework waiting for the 22gb download on the weekend (Australian broadbands not the best right now. Took a while) was Thief, Ele, Ranger. I think I'll move the Ranger back a bit for Engies and Mesmers. Heard mixed things about Rangers but will still 100% check out at some point

Having said that, was cruising round with Dinopuke (AusGaf represent) last night and he was rolling flamethrower Engie which made me a bit jelly. Good chance that's what I'll roll next and move Ele's back. Before watching any videos and reading just basic info, the Ele was the most appealing, now it may be a while till I check them out :-(. After watching a few Thief gameplay vids and they're mobile hit and run fighting style that was the class I had to try first

Have you played around with Pistol Whip yet? It is no exaggeration to say it's one of the best skills in the game

Hmmmm Pistol Whip? Is that the sword/pistol skill, mapped to i think 3, that fires an intial shot that I think stuns (maybe blinds), and then leaps intowards the target to cut them up? That was pretty cool but haven't sword/pistol combo'd too much. Unless I'm thinking of the completely wrong skill. .. Come to think of it dagger/pistol has that or something similiar as well?

This is not working anywhere close to properly for you, so I'd like to help you get it resolved (I'm one of the creators of the solution)

Here are some questions:
  • Are you running Windows 8 by any chance?
  • Do you have User Account Control active?
  • Are you using a 360 controller?
  • Did you do all the keybindings in-game from the instructions?
  • What happens when you press the "Back" button (or equivalent) on your pad once?

++Edit++ Bah, ignore this Hawkian. Turns out there's something to paying attention to provided instruction. Answers are in the Instruction file. AoE stuffs still a little weird though. See next page

Thanks again. Semantics and all, but it is 'close' to working properly ;-) Just a few nuances to iron out, but its not like I can't even use it. And kudo's for rigging it up. I mentioned a few pages ago I likely would have only lasted a few hours with W,A,S,D. Really, really struggle with direct control of characters from the keyboard (FPS games included) I reach some sort of co-ordination threshold with kb/m. Kinda like rubbing your belly and patting your head at the same time...

At work so I'll answer what I can and do some more trouble shooting when I get home.

1. Nope. 7
2. Don't think so, but will double check
3. Potentially the issue and probably something I should have already mentioned. It is a 360 controller but is aftermarket. Can't remember the brand. As mentioned though all other inputs work great
4. I did go through them at initial setup, but i'll double check when I get home. I think I was a couple of beers down when I first set it up so there's that....
5. Pressing back, from memory, toggles the camera controls off the right thumbstick and onto mouse. I right click the mouse when I need to use that, and when I want control of the camera back to the thumbstick I press back. Yeah thats it. Can't remember what back does when the camera is already on the controller though.

Oh and to answer Moondrop, its 100% mapped to ` and not '. The little doobeywacker, top corner, next to 1.

I'll double check the keybinds when I get home in a few hours. UAC should be off too right?

Retro

GAF, meet Gaf

Gold and Charred theme to match the logo

Love it, though I can't help but feel an Asuran would be more appropriate.

I predict expansion like content to be hinted at in Decmber and official announcement in January..

I would imagine we'll get another blog post like last year that kind of outlines things. Wouldn't be shocked to see an expansion mentioned there, but details will probably be scarce beyond some very basic comments about where it will take place and what big features will be included.

Oh no, I like gifs, just not too much of them.

I've got a good one all lined up but I'll have to wait until tomorrow to post it when it's more appropriate.

Hmmmm Pistol Whip? Is that the sword/pistol skill, mapped to i think 3, that fires an intial shot that I think stuns (maybe blinds), and then leaps intowards the target to cut them up? That was pretty cool but haven't sword/pistol combo'd too much. Unless I'm thinking of the completely wrong skill. .. Come to think of it dagger/pistol has that or something similiar as well?

Yeah, that's Pistol Whip from Sword / Pistol #3.

Oh and to answer Moondrop, its 100% mapped to ` and not '. The little doobeywacker, top corner, next to 1.

Everyone ignored me.

The default key bindings for the controller setup uses . (period) to swap weapons, so maybe lox needs to check those too.

Just add the period key as the alternate for weapon swap.

UAC should be off too right?

I wouldn't turn that off. Just set whichever executable files the controller stuff uses to "run as administrator" if that's an issue.

I predict expansion like content to be hinted at in Decmber and official announcement in January.

I hope so, I am getting tired of Tyria I am ready fight Palawa Joko, or Cantha Dragon..

PS:eek:nly joking about a Cantha Dragon i rather face Shiro again than face another dragon..

Well I like webms because than they can be embedded
, and looped. I believe Andrex made a Firefox script too, or someone did.

But now I have a dancing mp4 of you in my downloads folder forever

Remember me not only for my sweet dance moves, but for my mastery of the "2" key as well.

http://a.pomf.se/yqocgt.webm

Success! Thank you UltimateIke.

Now to work out the AoE thing and I'm set. Moondrop advised a few things a page or two ago I think, so should be right.

Great! Glad that managed to fix it.

Cracklox

Ok so AoE aiming seems to be at least functional. I messed with the script setting and getting a starting spot that isn't on my own head, a good thing.

It still seems a little buggy though. Sometimes after the icon is deployed the circle of death stays 'locked' in place and panning with the right thumbstick, that as I understand should aim the AoE cursor with the camera, only pans the camera around. That makes it kinda useless.

I have found a way to circumvent it by holding down back, and then using the right thumbstick, and it will behave as it should, however pressing the button to attack, with back held down, starts popping up menus. Not what I'm after in the middle of a fight. So sometimes the steps I have to take to attack with an AoE are:

- press button to deploy
- shit, cursor not moving
- hold down back button, and aim to target with thumbstick.
- release back button, and only then press attack button.

Slightly convoluted to get 1 attack off. And that's not mentioning potentially fucking it up by not releasing back and opening the blackmarket menu or a whatever, or pressing the wrong attack button at the end of it all which rests the whole process. I'm hoping (thinking) its broken so it can be fixed, as opposed to 'that's the way it is'. Given that, I dunno 40-50% of the time, it does as it should though, makes it quite bizarre.

Goddam intermittent issues. I'll keep mucking around with it

Cracklox

So, one or two questions about the personal story. More noob-y stuff

I guess it's probably above average for a game like this, with decent voice acting, etc (+ some of those NPC armor sets are pretty sweet in the cutscenes). My (very vague) question I guess is exactly how good is/does it get? I'm currently working through the level 30 ones, and notice I'm being made to make quite a few decisions, some of which I think the game expected me to care more about. Like the first 1 'Big' one
as a human, between saving your idiot plank of a mate who can't look after his own shit, and you know, saving a large chunk of the city by fucking up some tools who thought poisoning the water supply was a good idea. Geee, uhhh.....
After that I dialed down my expectations a tad of with the whole important decisions thing, and to be quite honest as someone with a pretty short attention span who doesn't really play games for story (have finished quite a few games, looked back and went - what the fuck happened with the story. <shrug>) I'm starting to not care a bit about the various goings on. Now the game throws some seemingly important decision at me, and because I've been what-evering along I'm not really sure what potential consequences of going either way may be (admittedly, my own fault)

So with that in mind are these decisions affecting anything outside of the PS? Or does the PS exist in its own little world, in the world sorta thing? ie events there are happening in their own bubble, if you will. Or does if affect things you see/do/encounter in the open world? If its the latter (which I'm thinking it isn't) then I better start paying more attention, hence, tieing this back to the original question of, is it good? If things are happening or changing in the open world because of decisions I'm making, I'll stop zoning out so much when ever folks are talking, and listen up.

Oh and 1 last one. A couple of times I've been in the instance and it builds to these 2 decisions, with a ' you sure you want to decide now' and 'review your options' - which I usually do to get some idea. I think twice now I've reviewed the available options, said yep i'll decide now...... and its given me only 1 of the 2 available choices as options. Is that because I haven't completed something in the world? Or maybe in another PS instance? Should I have paid more attention and been able to figure out why that happened myself? Hesitant to scream GLITCH! just because I know I missed stuff. Found it a little odd still.

As a whole though they're totally worth doing. XP gains seem pretty good, and some of them had some to stuff to do that was a bit different, so I'll for sure see them through. Heck, even hoping that I feel some weight of some of the decisions, even if the implications don't extend out to the game proper.

Oh and working weapon switch button, as expected, changes everything. So many options. Now I just need to look into all the combo stuff.

spiritfox

So, one or two questions about the personal story. More noob-y stuff

I guess it's probably above average for a game like this, with decent voice acting, etc (+ some of those NPC armor sets are pretty sweet in the cutscenes). My (very vague) question I guess is exactly how good is/does it get? I'm currently working through the level 30 ones, and notice I'm being made to make quite a few decisions, some of which I think the game expected me to care more about. Like the first 1 'Big' one
as a human, between saving your idiot plank of a mate who can't look after his own shit, and you know, saving a large chunk of the city by fucking up some tools who thought poisoning the water supply was a good idea. Geee, uhhh.....
After that I dialed down my expectations a tad of with the whole important decisions thing, and to be quite honest as someone with a pretty short attention span who doesn't really play games for story (have finished quite a few games, looked back and went - what the fuck happened with the story. <shrug>) I'm starting to not care a bit about the various goings on. Now the game throws some seemingly important decision at me, and because I've been what-evering along I'm not really sure what potential consequences of going either way may be (admittedly, my own fault)

So with that in mind are these decisions affecting anything outside of the PS? Or does the PS exist in its own little world, in the world sorta thing? ie events there are happening in their own bubble, if you will. Or does if affect things you see/do/encounter in the open world? If its the latter (which I'm thinking it isn't) then I better start paying more attention, hence, tieing this back to the original question of, is it good? If things are happening or changing in the open world because of decisions I'm making, I'll stop zoning out so much when ever folks are talking, and listen up.

Oh and 1 last one. A couple of times I've been in the instance and it builds to these 2 decisions, with a ' you sure you want to decide now' and 'review your options' - which I usually do to get some idea. I think twice now I've reviewed the available options, said yep i'll decide now...... and its given me only 1 of the 2 available choices as options. Is that because I haven't completed something in the world? Or maybe in another PS instance? Should I have paid more attention and been able to figure out why that happened myself? Hesitant to scream GLITCH! just because I know I missed stuff. Found it a little odd still.

As a whole though they're totally worth doing. XP gains seem pretty good, and some of them had some to stuff to do that was a bit different, so I'll for sure see them through. Heck, even hoping that I feel some weight of some of the decisions, even if the implications don't extend out to the game proper.

Oh and working weapon switch button, as expected, changes everything. So many options. Now I just need to look into all the combo stuff.

The PS does not affect the world, but some choices lead to branching paths and unique missions to that paths. It might also affect some dialogue choices in the Living Story, but I'm not too sure about that. But you don't miss anything major.

There is the one where you pick your Order, but those only lead to some Order specific PS missions and the ability to buy Order specific equipment, which is not really powerful, but you might one a specific skin.

For the second part, I'm not exactly sure what it is about. Can you give an example?

The personal story it is self contained. It happens in the world but all instance so it doesn't really effect living story.

I can only think of 1 or 2 events that happen in the open world based on what you did in the living story but they are one offs and if you do not go to the place where they occur you might never see them.

Each zone has their own story/stories that are all told in that one zone, through hearts/dynamic events.

I think the consensus in our guild is that the first part of the personal story where you are dealing primarily with the "origin-story" of your character is the best and once that ends it kinda goes down hill. I liked the story but I think what they are doing with the living story season 2 is much better. If you want to be more informed about the world and dragons pay slight attention so that you know some of the characters they moved forward with in the Living Story.

Spyware

Like the first 1 'Big' one
Aww! You got the worst story/choice of the game as your first story :p I can't stand the street rat human story. Not that Commoner or Noble is much better, or the different lvl 20 stuff... I think I just dislike the human stories overall :D all the other races are better.
The choices later will change what NPCs you meet and some missions will be different. You're making the "biggest" choice of the story at the lvl 30 part. It's where you choise an order to join.
They all have different missions, different NPCs (lovely ones, some of them!) but it doesn't change anything worth caring for out of the story. You can get some extra dialogue from some Whisper Agents in the world if you choose Whisper. And there are some ruins and stuff you can examine closer as a Priory member and so on. It's all fluff.
I recommend joining the Order of Whispers btw.
(And then the others with other characters so you at least unlock the unique armor/weapon skin vendors of every order)

Cracklox

Thanks all. Doing the 30s now so guess I better stop now for the sake of tuning in a bit, with a purportedly important choice coming up. 3.00 am here and, yeah been a few brews.....

Aww! You got the worst story/choice of the game as your first story :p I can't stand the street rat human story. Not that Commoner or Noble is much better, or the different lvl 20 stuff... I think I just dislike the human stories overall :D all the other races are better.
The choices later will change what NPCs you meet and some missions will be different. You're making the "biggest" choice of the story at the lvl 30 part. It's where you choise an order to join.
They all have different missions, different NPCs (lovely ones, some of them!) but it doesn't change anything worth caring for out of the story. You can get some extra dialogue from some Whisper Agents in the world if you choose Whisper. And there are some ruins and stuff you can examine closer as a Priory member and so on. It's all fluff.
I recommend joining the Order of Whispers btw.
(And then the others with other characters so you at least unlock the unique armor/weapon skin vendors of every order)

Heh. Can't wait to play dress up for reals with my girl. Her pauldrons and gloves are so bland atm and her coat makes her look a bit fat. She's really not. I did just pickup a nice pirate hat, that looks kinda hot though. Stats be damned......

@Spiritfox re choices in PS, I just bloody did one 20 minutes ago and can't even remember the choices I was that enthralled. Hang on, quick review of the quest journal:

Mortus Virge. Ended up going down to the swamp to free the children. Can't even remember the other choice cos that's what I was going to go with anyway. 100% certain I was only given the 1 option in dialogue along with the standard 'no thanks not ready. I'm pretty sure its happened on all the recent (maybe 2 or 3) missions I've done that have contained a choice on 'how do you want to complete this mission'. I'm doing the orders of Tyria now, which apparently contains the biggest decision of the PS so I'm hoping for no shoehorning.
Thinking about it though, it's never happened with those 'bigger' sorts of decisions, more with the 'how would you like to complete this task' kind of choice. Hasn't really bother me so far, because both choices inevitably lead to killing x amount of things with a red highlight around them anyway. Feel free to enlighten me otherwise on that point too....

Last question. Is there some Guild shenanigans going on tomorrow? (today-later over there or whenever. fuckin time zones) . If so, being 3am here, could someone do some rough mathes and let me know approx. what time that'll be GMT+10? Will likely tag along but also have things to do tomorrow that involves pants and leaving the house, so I'll try and work around it depending what time?

Last question. Is there some Guild shenanigans going on tomorrow? (today-later over there or whenever. fuckin time zones) . If so, being 3am here, could someone do some rough mathes and let me know approx. what time that'll be GMT+10? Will likely tag along but also have things to do tomorrow that involves pants and leaving the house, so I'll try and work around it depending what time?

Guild missions are at 9 PM EST Saturday, so I think that works out to 12 PM (Noon) Sunday for you. You're a good 16 hours ahead of me in CST.

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls
...what is a polymock

Was a minigame from the original Guild Wars' last expansion. You select three monsters to fight, one at a time, using unique skillsets against your opponents monsters. Combat works like a more complex version of Belcher's Bluff.

It was said that minis would be used as polymock monsters in GW2. There's even a "polymock arena" off limits in Rata Sum. Kos killed any chance of it being in the game cause he's a terrible person who picks on Levyne.

Gameplay:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gh2T92R_K1Y&feature=player_detailpage#t=103

From wiki:

Polymock is a minigame in Guild Wars Eye of the North to earn reputation with the Asura. You play against the AI with three "pieces" that you select, each with a unique skill bar; the aim is to defeat your opponent by countering the "pieces" that it picks.

There are 27 different Polymock pieces, of which 18 are obtainable for players. Each time you pick one piece, you take the form of the corresponding creature. Polymock pieces resemble chess pieces when viewed in your inventory and appear to have a unique shape that is dependent upon the creature the piece is based upon. Each piece has its own set of skills. Polymock pieces must be registered before they can be used. See Denn in Rata Sum to register a piece.

One day...
g60MeRG.jpg

Spyware

Heh. Can't wait to play dress up for reals with my girl. Her pauldrons and gloves are so bland atm and her coat makes her look a bit fat. She's really not. I did just pickup a nice pirate hat, that looks kinda hot though. Stats be damned......
Haha! I always level characters in "outfits" (one piece things that cover whatever armor you have) to not have to play with non-matching and random gear :p You'll like the "end game" if you already feel like playing dress up! :D

Mortus Virge. Ended up going down to the swamp to free the children. Can't even remember the other choice cos that's what I was going to go with anyway. 100% certain I was only given the 1 option in dialogue along with the standard 'no thanks not ready. I'm pretty sure its happened on all the recent (maybe 2 or 3) missions I've done that have contained a choice on 'how do you want to complete this mission'. I'm doing the orders of Tyria now, which apparently contains the biggest decision of the PS so I'm hoping for no shoehorning.
Thinking about it though, it's never happened with those 'bigger' sorts of decisions, more with the 'how would you like to complete this task' kind of choice. Hasn't really bother me so far, because both choices inevitably lead to killing x amount of things with a red highlight around them anyway. Feel free to enlighten me otherwise on that point too....
Hmm. In the first two stories, I think you get to choose at the same NPC. With two choices marked by a little yellow/gold-ish icon. In the lvl 30-story you always need to pick between two NPCs with one choice each. The lvl 30 story is basically "Here, these are three orders in Tyria. Now decide which one you like most!" with only two of them having a solution for the current problem. If you speak to one of them you can say that you wanna know more about that person's plan, decline to help or go with the plan. If you wish to see the other option you need to speak to the other NPC.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Was a minigame from the original Guild Wars' last expansion. You select three monsters to fight, one at a time, using unique skillsets against your opponents monsters. Combat works like a more complex version of Belcher's Bluff.

It was said that minis would be used as polymock monsters in GW2. There's even a "polymock arena" off limits in Rata Sum. Kos killed any chance of it being in the game cause he's a terrible person who picks on Levyne.

Gameplay:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gh2T...tailpage#t=103

From wiki:

One day...
g60MeRG.jpg

Oooo so that was the Pokemon-like thing in LA. Too bad it's destroyed.

Now I get the Pokemon reply from the post! :D

Complistic

Oooo so that was the Pokemon-like thing in LA. Too bad it's destroyed.

Now I get the Pokemon reply from the post! :D

There's actually an asura gateway in rata sum that says it leads to the "polymock arena" but the asura there have been hammering away, building it since the game came out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom