• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT4| The only subscription you need is this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

spiritfox

Sounds good. Is that to say its like an endless dungeon, where you do your 3 standard and a boss, and keep on going as far as you can, with the level increasing after each boss? Or is it a case of choosing what level you want to run at the beginning of the instance, doing your 3 stages and a boss, going back to the open world and lathering,rinsing and repeating?

Wow. Holy shit. I mean...... Why bother

It's the latter, though I now want a endless fractal challenge...

Cracklox

This....... Was not the answer I was looking for. Bummer

Still up for one anytime all the same. Now that I'm home and able check out a wiki, they sound like a nice thing for gear

Retro

Sounds good. Is that to say its like an endless dungeon, where you do your 3 standard and a boss, and keep on going as far as you can, with the level increasing after each boss? Or is it a case of choosing what level you want to run at the beginning of the instance, doing your 3 stages and a boss, going back to the open world and lathering,rinsing and repeating?

The latter, though it puts you in the Fractal "Observatory" rather than back into the open world. Not a huge difference, but worth mentioning because that's where all of the vendors and such are are located.

I was kicked from a PUG group earlier this week because i didn't bring any stability and i didn't know the dungeon mechanics.

102442-yoda-disappoinqox0o.gif

Sorry man. That's why I don't PUG.

This....... Was not the answer I was looking for. Bummer

Still up for one anytime all the same. Now that I'm home and able check out a wiki, they sound like a nice thing for gear
I find that having a break after a boss fractal is very nice. Lets you sell and repair if needed and you can decide whether you want to continue. Keep in mind that reward chests for finishing a round of fractals can only be received once a day per tier (there are 5 tiers, each consisting of 10 levels)
You have a shot at some nice stuff with those end chests too. Ascended (better than exotic) rings, armor, weapons, and otherwise unobtainable weapon skins can all be had.

Mxrz

Your experience pugging is usually going to depend on the lfg's you join and the class you play. If you join an "exp" group as a Guardian, and don't have Stand your Ground and Wall of Reflect, you're probably going to hear about it. Standard 'p1 80s' types probably don't care as much, but if you're new its helpful to say something before things get started. Its a lot harder to explain things mid combat. There's quite a few "Everyone Welcome!' groups lately. These guys usually enjoy showing others what to do, and people in a hurry tend to avoid them.

I like to think the game has matured to the point where the worst of the worst have either been banned or stopped playing. My ignore list suggests so. Although I could see a scenario where they all come flooding back in an desperate attempt to earn as much gold as possible too. What a fresh hell that'll be.

5il3nc3r

Your experience pugging is usually going to depend on the lfg's you join and the class you play. If you join an "exp" group as a Guardian, and don't have Stand your Ground and Wall of Reflect, you're probably going to hear about it. Standard 'p1 80s' types probably don't care as much, but if you're new its helpful to say something before things get started. Its a lot harder to explain things mid combat. There's quite a few "Everyone Welcome!' groups lately. These guys usually enjoy showing others what to do, and people in a hurry tend to avoid them.

I like to think the game has matured to the point where the worst of the worst have either been banned or stopped playing. My ignore list suggests so. Although I could see a scenario where they all come flooding back in an desperate attempt to earn as much gold as possible too. What a fresh hell that'll be.

Sorry for the dumb question but what is ap? Armor penetration?

Mxrz

Sorry for the dumb question but what is ap? Armor penetration?

Oops, yeah. Achievement points. I forgot I edited that bit out.

But yeah, seeing someone's AP can usually indicate what kind of run you're in for. If the pug fills up with a lot of > 2000 AP rangers, engineers, and the like I'm probably going to drop before getting started. That sounds bad, but I'm not usually up for the trials that are coming and it seems the politest way to go about it.

Don't take it to mean anyone with 10k+ is automatically good. Seen more than a few 20k guys that I wanted to strangle after a few dumb wipes. If anything, these guys tend to drop ego trips on you when you offer to explain something.

*Gold sellers are back. Why couldn't whispers be level locked, too.

I always advertise my parties as "All Welcome", but I almost always get people running to stack in all the expected places, as if they've done the dungeon a hundred times before. Every now and then I get lower leveled people that sort of wander about, but I've never seen anyone complain.

The super pro speedrunning types might avoid such a description, but there seems to be a lot of people like me who just don't care about "experienced level 80, zerks only/ping gear, 5k+ AP or kicked" as long as the job gets done in a reasonable amount of time.

Thorgal

I actually think of running a little experiment.

join a PUG group asking for zerk only but have my character decked out in knight gear or other and run through the dungeon like that.

at the end ill reveal my secret and ask if they noticed the difference.

I expwct not many if at all.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
I'll admit, I prefer joining those strict PUGs because I want to rush dungeons, though I don't mind guild-sanctioned goofing off.

spiritfox

join a PUG group asking for zerk only but have my character decked out in knight gear or other and run through the dungeon like that.

I have joined Zerk only PUGs with Knight gear, and didn't get kicked. I guess it varies from person to person.

5il3nc3r

Oh yeah achievement points, I should have known that sorry. I think I have around 4500, that would be on the low side I'm guessing.

Retro

I wonder when they'll add new fractal zones.

This has been one of my bigger disappointments with the game, actually. Fractals seem like the perfect platform to drop a couple new mini-dungeons in every 6 months or so.

I imagine we'll see a Glint's Lair one eventually though.

Oh yeah achievement points, I should have known that sorry. I think I have around 4500, that would be on the low side I'm guessing.

Eh, I wouldn't worry too much about it, MMO players sink to great depths trying to quantify player skill with some metric that rarely tracks skill at all (see the garbage that is Gearscore). It just means you haven't been playing for two years and that's it. Skill > AP every time.

Moondrop

Banned
I see a Mace Engineer as being melee-centric. Shield has the reflect / push and stun/daze for control and off-hand pistol has a mix of melee damage and control. Both would compliment an up-close play-style well enough. I dunno what the actual skills could entail.
Complicating things is that engi already has the poor man's warrior mace/shield: tool kit.

1) smack-whack-thwack: turret-repairing melee chain
2) box of nails: pbaoe bleed and cripple
3) pry bar: melee confusion
4) gear shield: wvw wreckage
5) magnet: pvp wreckage

And any mace design we propose would be able to swap to this alternate melee kit at any moment. Maybe a healing or boon granting/stripping kit for mace?

Maybe some kind of crazy "Harmonic Hammer" attack that opens up a Steam portal and little watchwork minions come out and follow you around.
PhAUwbp.jpg

They never notice, exposing the absurdity of them demanding zerk. I used to do this with fractals, cleric gear, and mace/shield. But that was over a year ago; they would probably deduce it from my weapon choices now. Plus the combat log would give away my healing shouts. ;)

Even though I would never join a group with the word "ping gear" in it, the pseudo-speed runners deserve to play the game the way they desire. Which isn't to say y'all shouldn't join their groups in non-zerker, but I refrain from trolling them any harder (in-game).

Shiokazu

later tooday i'll be pulling all Twilight Arbor vanilla patches. mostly for the newcomers of the guild.

veterans are more than welcome too. dont expect to be a super efficient speedrun stackalicious fest of zerker gear. please dont.

i also plan to leave a trail of destruction, clearing as much as we can. so if you're interested, gathering starts at 10pm gmt-3, i know tequatl time and all, but its just the gathering, dungeon kicks as soon as we got a group of 5.

( 10pm gmt-3 is 8pm EST )

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Man, quoting makes them ugly, besides, images scale to the frame! It's not like quoting them makes the images take up less download until you click them. But there, fixed. Hawkian hates pretty screenshots. ;..;
I just highlight them and they show full size in a pop-up (Imagus plug-in)

On mobile they don't scale to the frame, they blow up the page :p
This is why it matters how we dungeon. You demand more of Anet? Fine. But you should demand just as much from yourself and your guildies. Don't pass the buck saying the devs haven't yet perfected the game. Take the base game and play it in the most fun way possible.
Ah, well-said. I do feel strongly about this too.

Way to go busting up those dungeons Vil! Seems like there might be enough interest in here to easily have a weekly dungeon event and possibly something for Fractals too. Maybe we could do every other week, spotlight a dungeon one week, then Fractals the next, then another dungeon the next week. Also, I heard talk of an Aetherpath run being set up soon and I'm definitely in for that.

Shiokazu

I just highlight them and they show full size in a pop-up (Imagus plug-in)

Ah, well-said. I do feel strongly about this too.

Way to go busting up those dungeons Vil! Seems like there might be enough interest in here to easily have a weekly dungeon event and possibly something for Fractals too. Maybe we could do every other week, spotlight a dungeon one week, then Fractals the next, then another dungeon the next week. Also, I heard talk of an Aetherpath run being set up soon and I'm definitely in for that.

have anyone told you today that you're a genious hawk? THATS A FANTASTIC IDEA!

Dungeon Week -> Fractal Week. thats absolutely SPARKING.

i volunteer to try keeping it alive.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
jolly good show!

Gotta ask around with the officers but Tuesdays are probably best for me; it'd be on update day every other week but I'm not sure that's a bad thing. I always end up doing a few dungeons on update days anyway...

Ah, didn't know. That's really a fault with the template for their mobile page renderer then, surprised nobody brought it up since that's the one place where it really *should* work that way.

Also, this is awesome: found on tumblr:

Ever wondered what Orr would look like a bit restored? I took a screenshot of Dwaynas Temple in Malchor´s Leap and overpainted it in my lunch time. :)

And this made me laugh, also from tumblr:

Guild Wars 2 is a story about the age of awakening for dragons that want to destroy the world.

Dragon Age is a story about a bunch of factions constantly on the brink of war with one another.

tumblr_inline_nf3hpaRIvM1rqy5of.gif

Surprised nobody had posted this yet. It made me laugh too hard.

tumblr_nf0vom3vmg1rdgp3qo1_1280.png

When Braham isn’t home.

Via tumblr, and a reference to this Vine that made the rounds a while back.

I have joined Zerk only PUGs with Knight gear, and didn't get kicked. I guess it varies from person to person.
I've joined dozens upon dozens of "80s zerk" runs on my knights-wearing, shield-wielding guardian and have never been kicked. The Flameseeker Prophecies is out in its full glory and no one gives a damn. Runs go smoothly 98% of the time. The other 2% I still stick around to finish it. If a necro is kicked for being a necro, I leave the party. No point trying to reason with them, I would just get kicked anyways (only seen it happen three times). About 80% of all PUG kicks that I've witnessed occur at the flame dome part in CoF1. The new person has no idea what's going on, the veteran players get frustrated that the new player stayed quiet the entire time, get more frustrated when terse explanations and map pinging do nothing to help the poor fellow, then the kick request comes out and immediately filled (I admit that I'm guilty by association for not trying to defuse the situation at times; sometimes I type "reset" and we all run back into the tunnel and a more thorough explanation works. Sometimes.)

As long as you avoid "ping armor" LFGs, I think you'll easily avoid most of the PUG elitists. If you want to gamble and join an "80s exp" group without actually having experience, be upfront and honest about your inexperience and I've seen most PUGs accommodate the request. I've done it myself after running CM again after not touching it for 9 months. The vast, vast majority of every PUG run I've participated in have been smooth and polite. Break the ice and type "hello" in party chat--it can go a long way.

Shiokazu

eeeeeeeeeeeeeh i forgot to take a photo :( next time we'll take one.

the run was nice and we all had fun! thanks retro, kanik, moondrop, dino and zen. aaaa, i wish i had a better memory i think im forgetting someone...

anyway you all shone in that one, really thank you for coming along!

Mxrz

The new Glint dyes look really nice. But so far I've not been able to match it up with any of my characters armor or outfits. If nothing else, might get one or two cheap ones for the future.

You can tell when a group isn't fully zerk. I'm all for the pro-skill argument and stuff, but numbers are numbers. Dropping a boss in 4-5 seconds vs 10-15 is noticeable. Player ability accounts for a large part of it, but honestly its not like most of the dungeon bosses require much. I do agree that most zerk lfgs seem pretty ordinary, but occasionally you find yourself in a legit one and the difference is something else.

Grouped with a Charr thief, and its made me want one all the more. My Norn Thief is in full Ascendeds, but something about a giant cat flipping around is appealing. The nerf to the Norn elites took some thunder out of using the Norn in wvw. Nothing quite like a sudden long distance stealthed Snow Leopard rush.

Retro

Character Slots, Upgrade Extractors and Dye Packs are all 30% off today. For those of you with severe Altitis (coughxeriscoughspywarecough), this is the perfect opportunity for you to get that 127th character you've been putting off.

spiritfox

Character Slots, Upgrade Extractors and Dye Packs are all 30% off today. For those of you with severe Altitis (coughxeriscoughspywarecough), this is the perfect opportunity for you to get that 127th character you've been putting off.

Are Upgrade Extractors worth it?

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls
Scaling in this game is weird. I've done like 5 attempts at Gold & Silver with full map "organized groups" that have failed.

Did one with a rinky dink team of about 6 people and it was like cutting through hot butter.

Zeroth

Scaling in this game is weird. I've done like 5 attempts at Gold & Silver with full map "organized groups" that have failed.

Did one with a rinky dink team of about 6 people and it was like cutting through hot butter.

Yeah, yesterday me and 2 other players got the Silver and Gold bosses to 30% with 1 minute left. It helped we all knew how to use the bubbles and stuff.

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls
Yeah, yesterday me and 2 other players got the Silver and Gold bosses to 30% with 1 minute left. It helped we all knew how to use the bubbles and stuff.

I don't think we even used a bubble - dropped down and ripped them a new one in less than 2 mins. Burst from rapid fire and buffs alone brought silver down to 70%. I was all like:
td476aC.gif

I thought there was a stealth patch or that I had hallucinated the event. Achievement confirmed, so weird.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
The gem store. Had it ever had any crazy steam like (70-80% off) Christmas sale before?
Hmm. There was one pretty awesome sale where like anything you bought two of, one of which for a gift, you got 50% off, so you could coordinate to save on two things with sombody. that's about it. sales are usually 20%-33% off.
Lot of success with SE1 PUGs advertising as "have offhand mastery, no mesmer needed. big reflection. much kawaii"
lol
I don't think we even used a bubble - dropped down and ripped them a new one in less than 2 mins. Burst from rapid fire and buffs alone brought silver down to 70%. I was all like:
td476aC.gif

I thought there was a stealth patch or that I had hallucinated the event. Achievement confirmed, so weird.
so what you're saying is you turned that Teragriff's world upside-downface.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Hey I'm in for a fractal right when I get home (around 7 EST). Thorgal et al?

edit: Will be tough to squeeze in before reset though I guess, that's just an hour right?

Thorgal

Hey I'm in for a fractal right when I get home (around 7 EST). Thorgal et al?

edit: Will be tough to squeeze in before reset though I guess, that's just an hour right?

Well i'd love to do the fractal and still be on time for The SBI teq run at 8 pm est ,but if they overlap i can ditch doing teq for a day .

So i am in .

Oooo, I need to start being brave enough to do fractals. So close to being done Mawdrey... basically just need 3 more relics and the mini-dungeon items.

p.s. First post ever! This is Latharaes/Mille Tendresse for anyone I've talked to in-game :>

Are Upgrade Extractors worth it?

They're only worth it for really good Agony Infusions or Runes/Sigils that are greater than 20g in value, and if losing the weapon/armor is unacceptable (i.e., if it's Ascended or Legendary). For 99.999% of players, the Upgrade Extractor isn't worth it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom