• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT4| The only subscription you need is this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wanderer5

Really digging the new explorer outfit and it looks especially nice on Charr. I probably have it on a lot with my engineer at least once the phase that I shove the outfit on all my mains passes.:p

2014-11-18_00045_zpsdaaca51b.jpg

Cracklox

Just got a bit of bad news. I may be offline for anywhere between a few days up to (hopefully not) weeks.

I moved apartment 3 or 4 months ago and my ISP has had all kinds of troubles connecting me. Despite the fact all my neighbours in the building have perfectly fine internet they can't work out what's wrong with mine. That is after 3 lengthy phone calls to there tech support, and having a private electrician attend the property to investigate the phone line (No cable available. boo).

It all got way too hard, so I sorta gave up doing anything about it for the last month or 2. In the meantime though, with permission, I've been using one of my neighbours WIFI who had an unlimited plan so he had no issues. Now though, he has had some changes in circumstance and is going about cost cutting, and he's dropping his internet back to 20Gbs a month. Understandably he doesn't really want me on there anymore and just texted me so.

Bad timing with my current GW2 addiction.

Anyway, going to grab him a slab of beer on the way home to say thanks for the net usage, and also if I can convince him to give me a another few days, until HOPEFULLY my ISP gets their shit together.

If that continues to drag out then I might be offline for a while :(

Not being able to play an online only videogame. I guess thats the very definition of a 1st world problem....

Trey

Today I learned that Arken still plays GW2. between seeing docbon online last week and this, it's like I'm back in 2012.

Wanderer5

That maze sure as hell look like having a pacman thing going on heh. Wasn't really a bad update, just small. Hopefully the next one will have a bit more meat to it. Wonder how the luminescent collecting going to be like, now there will be two pieces.

welcome wanderer!

Thanks!

Played casually today with some friends (finishing up some cheevos in Episode 4), got two Carapace Glove boxes. Combined with the Crests I had from meandering about a bit every day in the Silverwastes, I now have all three weight classes of gloves and shoulders unlocked, without using alts, or farming/grinding. I think Anet has been rather generous in how the Carapace stuff unlocks so far.

It's going to be a while before I get the Luminescent versions, since the cheevos in the last two episodes are rather difficult. But I ain't in no rush.

I am glad getting the imbued item (truffle) for the gloves, is easier than the shoulders (firefly mote thingy). I had to wait around for 45 minutes for the firefly event to restart in Caledon, but the truffle you can just buy outright from the vendor in Kessex.

Still one of the coolest sections of this season.

And I just going to say Charr FTW! I love them so much.<3

Q5x7QCF.gif

I'm in Vegas doing adult things but I'll be back in Tyria on Friday

tumblr_lby6221QOG1qze5g2o1_500.gif

Come back to me, Lump!

Wanderer5

Played casually today with some friends (finishing up some cheevos in Episode 4), got two Carapace Glove boxes. Combined with the Crests I had from meandering about a bit every day in the Silverwastes, I now have all three weight classes of gloves and shoulders unlocked, without using alts, or farming/grinding. I think Anet has been rather generous in how the Carapace stuff unlocks so far.

It's going to be a while before I get the Luminescent versions, since the cheevos in the last two episodes are rather difficult. But I ain't in no rush.

I am glad getting the imbued item (truffle) for the gloves, is easier than the shoulders (firefly mote thingy). I had to wait around for 45 minutes for the firefly event to restart in Caledon, but the truffle you can just buy outright from the vendor in Kessex.

Still one of the coolest sections of this season.

You doing them solo? I can probably see some of them being a bit hard, especially from this update. The dancer in the dark one still was a pain in the ass even with two folks.:x

And yeah thank god it was a item to collect from say a heart vendor, rather than wait forever for a event.<.<

And rock on man.:p That race kickass!

You doing them solo?

Yeah, because I don't want to bother anyone, I tend to do most 'cheevo' related content solo, so I can knock it out myself. I just gotta get "No Thanks to Canach" (easy), "Exposed Weakness", "Light 'Em Up" (should be easy now that I know what it is), and "Dancer in the Dark".

The rest happened almost automatically, like "No Teragriff Pack Snack", just from playing normally.

Spyware

Really digging the new explorer outfit and it looks especially nice on Charr. I probably have it on a lot with my engineer at least once the phase that I shove the outfit on all my mains passes.:p
Oh how nice to see that someone else likes outfits! Especially this one! I'm really happy with it since it's the first really practical adventuring outfit for charr.

Wanderer5

Yeah, because I don't want to bother anyone, I tend to do most 'cheevo' related content solo, so I can knock it out myself. I just gotta get "No Thanks to Canach" (easy), "Exposed Weakness", "Light 'Em Up" (should be easy now that I know what it is), and "Dancer in the Dark".

The rest happened almost automatically, like "No Teragriff Pack Snack", just from playing normally.

Yeah those first three are really easy. Good luck with Dancer in the Dark heh. The last 25% of his health is especially brutal.

Oh how nice to see that someone else likes outfits! Especially this one! I'm really happy with it since it's the first really practical adventuring outfit for charr.

Don't mind them, through be nice if there are also a bit more armor sets mix in releases but well we had like three recently. I been waiting for this outfit ever since it was data mined lol. And yeah, no tail clipping either! Through for some reason, the female charr lacks the sun cape on the hat.

Spyware

Don't mind them, through be nice if there are also a bit more armor sets mix in releases but well we had like three recently. I been waiting for this outfit ever since it was data mined lol. And yeah, no tail clipping either! Through for some reason, the female charr lacks the sun cape on the hat.
I use them when leveling since I don't have to feel bad about ugly looking armor skins/combinations.
I think that cape thing is pretty ugly and it's the reason I don't show the hat on Aodh :D
The hat looks way better without it.
TUjnOwT.png

Wanderer5

I use them when leveling since I don't have to feel bad about ugly looking armor skins/combinations.
I think that cape thing is pretty ugly and it's the reason I don't show the hat on Aodh :D
The hat looks way better without it.
TUjnOwT.png

True, true. I have my alt acc guard in that count dress while she leveling, but better than what she has on armor wise.:p

I like the sun cape, but only on Charr heh. I don't find the lack of it that great on my guard, but she tends to be helm-less anyway. It still kind of weird through.

Remfin

Yep, less than an hour. Skritt challenge, Skritt Puzzle, Trillia Bounty, Ghost Wolf Rush.

They need a Skritt Rush, just for there to potentially be an all-skritt Mission Night.
I think what you meant to say is they need a Karka Puzzle, so you can have an all-karka Mission Night

and the last battle has more tentacle pulls

I didn't notice. Getting pulled by tenticles or getting hit by stabbycat won't cause you to lose the achievement. It didn't seem any harder then when I ran that mission first time for the story.

All movement and just auto-attacking boss when possible.

swnny

Why is no one even remotley excited about the up coming sPvP changes? No talking about them here, nor at reddit. Only few threads at the official forum and that all.
Just a ritorical question (because I know that no one actually cares about sPvP anymore and it will take a lot more then this to bring (back) some (new) players), but I want to see what's GAF's stance on this subject.

Why is no one even remotley excited about the up coming sPvP changes? No talking about them here, nor at reddit. Only few threads at the official forum and that all.
Just a ritorical question (because I know that no one actually cares about sPvP anymore and it will take a lot more then this to bring (back) some (new) players), but I want to see what's GAF's stance on this subject.

I was actually playing tPvP yesterday with Vilj and Thorgal. We were losing because the other teams were more organised and they were running meta builds (decap engis, asshole rangers) so at some point it was like 300 to 100 one of our members just left the party and the 4th who wasn't from GAF started saying how people should get a 24h ban for leaving a match.

Everyone in the match then started talking about how excited they were for next weeks update because of the changes. I think PvP people seem excited but reddit is mostly people who just want GW2 to become WoW so they aren't interested in PvP.

I like PvP but I prefer the unranked pvp where I just go in and press "Play now" because people are running varied builds and not optimal so feels like I have a chance. (also win a lot more there than in tPvP)

I am aiming for the Glorious Armor because it is one of the only Medium chest piece that is not a trench coat. 3/8 tiers right now. If I get lucky and get on a good side that keeps wining usually I can get a tier in about 5-6 matches.

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls
PvP only exists for my dailies. (&#9681;&#8255;&#9680;)

I'm excited for the "duo" pvp queue. GF is in love with PvP but we only play unranked when together, in fear of getting curb stomped by a proper 5-man team. So going against at most, 2 organized people sounds optimal.

Moondrop

Banned
What's to hype? If they actually reduce 4v5s then I will rejoice, but the promise of improved matchmaking doesn't merit much.

Why is no one even remotley excited about the up coming sPvP changes?

I'm excited. I'm looking forward to seeing the changes live.

Many people care about PvP, but PvP is still the smallest playerbase in the game, so the ratio of PvE vs PvP posts will always weigh towards PvE.

Those that really care about PvP aren't on reddit or forums talking about it, they're in the game play.

Isn't Dancer in the Dark just doing last mission from episode 6...in a slightly darker enviorent?

Yeah. I just haven't gotten around to it, is all.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I think you don't mean rhetorical cause you're actually looking for answers, right? lol

I'm excited for them, but they're all backend, mechanical, behind-the-scenes. There's nothing particularly "hypeworthy" about it even if it universally improves the experience, which I am certainly looking forward to. I can't really go "Oooh, I can't wait to go not get matched up in a 4v5!" I am a little hyped for the map voting I suppose, but the rotation in Team Arenas is such that I never really minded any of them, so that wasn't a big deal for me either.

I'm gunning for 8:00PM eastern tomorrow (Tuesday) for our GAF Pac-Man event. I'd like to chat about it with an expert beforehand via PM so I can give proper advice and stuff in the post- I've only run it a handful of times myself and don't want to lead people astray! Any volunteers?

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
I didn't notice. Getting pulled by tenticles or getting hit by stabbycat won't cause you to lose the achievement. It didn't seem any harder then when I ran that mission first time for the story.

All movement and just auto-attacking boss when possible.
Just annoying that the tentacles now spawn near each other that they pull you repeatedly

Shiokazu

even i am exited about the PvP changes. mostly because, while PvP is fun, i'd like to try fighting people as bad as i am.

:( and no more metas.

I'm gunning for 8:00PM eastern tomorrow (Tuesday) for our GAF Pac-Man event. I'd like to chat about it with an expert beforehand via PM so I can give proper advice and stuff in the post- I've only run it a handful of times myself and don't want to lead people astray! Any volunteers?
I am the expert you deserve. PM away.

Apart from that, it also makes the Aoe fields overlap and the big Aoe attack the boss uses when at half hp now covers the entire room.

Just annoying that the tentacles now spawn near each other that they pull you repeatedly
You two, stop being bad and avoid the giant orange circles.

I still haven't done any PVP at all.

How do those reward tracks work? Do you make progress on them even if your team loses?
Reward tracks are what keep me coming back to PvP. I really like them a lot.
Yes you still get progress on reward track even if you lose. Seems to be tied to the points you have and the points your team had. If you do not get curbed stomped and you are pretty close on points but you lose it seems like I still got like 50-60% of reward progression compared to winning the match.

Mxrz

I don't care about pvp anymore. I don't think its bad, or have any hostility at ANet over it. I just do not enjoy Conquest. After two years, I just have to assume the pvp team sees some merit in having a single game type, and the benefits of that type. I feel differently. There isn't much to say beyond that.

If someday a new mode is added, I'll happily check it out. But until then just going to farm tracks in my guild's arena.

Reward tracks are what keep me coming back to PvP. I really like them a lot.
Yes you still get progress on reward track even if you lose. Seems to be tied to the points you have and the points your team had. If you do not get curbed stomped and you are pretty close on points but you lose it seems like I still got like 50-60% of reward progression compared to winning the match.

Can the team your on kick you? How long do rounds typically last?

swnny

I think you don't mean rhetorical cause you're actually looking for answers, right? lol
More like, I'm expecting answers like "pvp is dead", "anet/noone cares about pvp" etc.

I'm excited for them, but they're all backend, mechanical, behind-the-scenes. There's nothing particularly "hypeworthy" about it even if it universally improves the experience, which I am certainly looking forward to. I can't really go "Oooh, I can't wait to go not get matched up in a 4v5!" I am a little hyped for the map voting I suppose, but the rotation in Team Arenas is such that I never really minded any of them, so that wasn't a big deal for me either.

What's to hype? If they actually reduce 4v5s then I will rejoice, but the promise of improved matchmaking doesn't merit much.

I'm not talking about hype and hypetrains, just some sort of excitement to spark out a discussion. After all, they are promising some big changes/revamps of the core pvp systems that almost everyone playing more seriously wanted to see years ago.

We are talking about "better"(that's to be seen) matchmaking, which takes into account lots of different factors now (even profession type). Map vote too.
We are talking about more harsh Dishonor system, very similar to the one found in GW1 and there it does a damn fine job at keeping off leavers, trolls and all the bad habit players.
We are talking about more accurate and reasonable ladderboard, which should now give players bigger initiative to compete. And after this, Leagues and Seasons should follow.

The last one should really be what PvP players are looking forward the most, because it was one of the most requested feature(along side proper matchmaking) back when the game launched. Instead, we got sh**ty matchmaking algorithm and this broken leaderboard which means nothing and noone care about it. And we had to deal with them for more then year and a half.

Those that really care about PvP aren't on reddit or forums talking about it, they're in the game play.

I can't agree on that. The players that really care about PvP ain't the ones in the game farming hotjoin/custom arenas or jumping for a match or two only because of the achievements.
The players who really care about PvP and actually do something to support it are guys like Grouch (now "on the other side", as I love to say, but I still have all my respect for him and am really happy to see him making his way in the industry), Blu, Jebro and few players(who even offer to share their "esport" experience with random teams and couch them) that contribute to the development of the community and the PvP aspect of the game as a whole.
Too bad Anet have like 3 guys working on(give a sh*t about) sPvP and we are seeing little changes/improvements so late into the game's lifespan...

I played about an hour of PVP and enjoyed it well enough. Made some good progress on the track I'm interested in. Funny how serious some people take it, to the point of being so hateful towards others, haha.

Thorgal

How friendly is GW2 for solo play? Might look at getting it during BF sales.

What do you mean by "solo" ?

playing all the content all by yourself or playing the game without joining a guild ?

If it is the former. guildwars 2 uses dynamic events in the world that all people in that map can join in on and get credit for joining in .

You can play all the content without joining a group ( save for specific world events ) but you will never do an open world event alone .

If you mean without joining a guild , well you can do that but that sounds boring as hell :p.

General PvE, like doing the Renown Heart quests and exploring for map completion, is very much balanced for solo play. The first few months I played the game I was a lone wolf and had no trouble going from one corner of the map to the other killing everything in my path. Optional dynamic events can sometimes be designated as "group events" though, and you generally won't be strong enough to deal with many of those on your own your first time through the game. But other people will frequently be in the area to help, and everyone gets full, equal credit for taking part in an event.

Of course, just doing solo content got boring eventually, so I joined a guild so I could easily do dungeons and the like.

Shiokazu

I played about an hour of PVP and enjoyed it well enough. Made some good progress on the track I'm interested in. Funny how serious some people take it, to the point of being so hateful towards others, haha.

competitive gaming

some people think that its only fun if they win, plus they are perfect and everything is everybody else's fault.

Levyne

Banned

Anything out in the world and all the Living Story episodes can be done solo, and I imagine most people do that solo. When you're out in a zone, you can party with other people but sometimes there's not a strong desire to party up because anyone can go up to an event in progress and participate. In a way, people will group dynamically and you might help 2 to 20 other people finish an event without saying a word to them, depends how social you are I suppose.

All the main story content can be done solo with the exception of the last part of the base story. The last part is a dungeon instance, in which you are expected to have 5 players, unless your name is Ike.

Of course, there is other dungeon content too but out of the ~30 paths only the 1 is tied to story completion. There are also fractals, which works similarly to a 5 man dungeon.

Even wvw and pvp you can go in without a party or solo-queue and automatically be placed on a team without having to really coordinate, if you'd like. Even if you like to play alone, having a Guild to chat with I think helps keeps things lively. Well, most of the time. I often play by myself but I'm often just rambling in guild chat too.

Retro

Very solo friendly, but don't be surprised if you find yourself clumping up with other players in informal groups due to the nature of the Dynamic Events system. Since everyone works together to meet a common goal and DEs tend to lead into each other forming long event chains, you'll probably find yourself playing alongside the same people for anywhere from a few minutes to half an hour, depending on how complex the chain is.

The only thing you absolutely NEED people for are dungeons, which cap out at 5 players (the last Personal Story chapter is technically a dungeon, however).

Your experience overall, however, wlll be vastly improved by joining a guild, as you'll have a place to find answers, ask for help and form groups if you ever do decide to test the waters. GAFGuild has room left and we're very relaxed in terms of play style, representation, etc. (The only thing we really have a hard rule on is hate speech, like NeoGAF itself).

And yeah, it's already confirmed the game will be 50% off starting Wednesday, so you picked a good time to jump in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom