• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT4| The only subscription you need is this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls
Krallkattorik after awakening caused what is now known as the dragonbrand .

Zhaitan awakening caused an entire Peninsula to rise from the bottom of the ocean .

can we say that we have seen anything from mordy on that scale yet ?

I am wondering if
S2 will end with Mordy bursting out of the ground and leave a Location of tyria in complete ruins ?

Mordy's arrival caused the disappearance of the Greatest Fear story arc from Personal Story.

Moondrop

Banned
Currently testing this staff ele meta build out for pvp .
Yeah that's one of the oldest builds still standing. Great team fighter but I can't personally roll with a build that has no chance of forcing someone off a point 1v1. No matter how tanky you are, if someone can mindgame you into a decap, you can't cap it back.

I had to make this image for someone to explain how I play GW2, figured I might as well share it here in case any newcomers are thinking about getting something like a Nostromo, or wondering if the thumb buttons on the mouse can be useful for anything.

My left hand - right hand setup. I couldn't play GW2 without a Nostromo anymore.

gv1wwt9.png

Levyne

Banned
I use a G700s, I don't have a lefty, though, just the keyboard.

g700s-gaming-mouse-images.png

Scroll wheel click for elite, 3 other buttons on top are 7-8-9. Four buttons on the side are 6, walk toggle, TS push-to-talk, mumble push-to-talk,

Edit: The two buttons in the top center are scroll wheel lock and profile select.

Moondrop

Banned
My left hand - right hand setup.
Hey look, it's a deconstructed controller.

Just kidding, that's pretty awesome.

I'm endlessly fascinated by control schemes. Back in the console days, if a game had a supoptimal control scheme it was a huge drawback. Now that they're generally customizable, individual play experiences must differ widely- GW2 is obviously one of the foremost examples. And when it comes to competitive play, optimized control schemes must translate to a tangible advantage.

I concentrate on optimizing my control schemes in Marvel Heroes (I bought a G700 for it) and Smash as well.

I think one of the greatest things a person can do, is customize their input for a game to suit their taste and playstyle, both in terms of mappings and the physical device that uses those mappings. The idea of a 'one scheme fits all' has never sat right with me - even as a console gamer. And not enough console games allow for customized button mappings (looking at you, Dragon Age: Inquisition, dammit).

For something like an MMO, especially GW2 that's action-based, my highest priority is being able to do *everything* on the move, without having to move my hands. Having movement on my left thumb lets me use the rest of my left hand for triggering skills as I need them, all while never having to stop moving. WASD on a keyboard doesn't fullfill this need, since you're always going to be moving your fingers around to hit skills (to various degrees depending on your setup, ESDF with skills around the movement, like LoL, is better - but you're still using two fingers to move at an angle when one should suffice).

Cracklox

Thanks all for the responses

Congratulations!

Ugh, I'm the worst at explaining stuff but I'll try. :D

I hope this wasn't too confusing and at least of some use!

Hey thanks for that Spyware. At work now so I can't properly take it all in. Definetley looks to be helpful and answer a few questions so I'll go back over it when I get home. I think Retro offered some tips a few pages back which I need to dig out as well, Tonight, I figure out crafting....

Sweet sweet advice

Thanks Hawk. That answers ALOT

Snip

In pragmatic terms, here are your options with regard to the Season 2 episodes:
-Shell out the cash for the gems, now or later
-Earn gold to convert to gems and buy each episode that way, one by one
-If you are most concerned with the story/experience rather than the Achievments and Rewards, someone can bring you along with them into the episodes in their party. In fact, we could have events to rerun the old Episodes for people who haven't done them yet and don't want to buy them, and fill in some details that carried over from Season 1.

Ohhh. This is all good stuff to know too. And I feel you on the whole 'gotta be there at the time thing'. Thats what makes it special, being there for it. Regarding the bolded I had no idea this was an option.I might need to see if anyone wants to take me for a run through it at some point. I also didn't realise converting gold to gems was an option. Though with my current gold situation that would be a while off as well.

In any case i'll probably shell out a few bucks to get up to date properly. 200 gems I don't think works out to be too much real money. And as mentioned before, the game I think has earned the right for me to throw a few dollars at it.

1 other question. I think I've been around for the last 2 chapter updates, so per what you are saying I will have access to them at any point. How many did I miss in season 2 before that? Just trying to get an idea of what I'll be up for.

Bitter tasting awesomeness

Now, the player comes first, above all else. Which is fine, but I miss the other way of doing things.

Yo thanks for screens. I think. Now I feel even worse for missing out on all that though. It all looked (and especially, sounded) alot better then I imagined. Something similiar happening to Divintys Reach that I can watch unfold, will go along way towards making me feel better...

Last line is a little concerning though. As someone else mentioned below, it would be good if they can find a nice balance

That's true - I forgot about Fort Salma and that one in Lornar's PAss, forget the name. And Iron Marches permanently has those vines. I guess it loses some of its impact when it's split like that - the majority of the content being permanent, with only side-bits being "temporary", well, more like transitory. I wonder if anyone is actually tracking all the gameworld changes like this on a wiki somewhere.

I'd be VERY interested in this if there's something out there. Hard to google-fu that sort of stuff while at work, but I might try and do some homework when I get home

Oh and looks like i'm missing the Pac-man event. I think thats happening right now or very shortly if I'm not mistaken. Sometimes being from the future sucks :(

Season 2 Guild Event: GAF Pac-Man - 8:00PM EST, 11/25/2014

Our own spoiler embargo is up, so here we go! Added with the "Tangled Paths" release was a new area to the Silverwastes: the Tangled Labyrinth.

While you enter this area during the Story missions and face some Mordrem boss fights, out in the open world it's still accessible during what used to be the "Time Out" phase of the Silverwastes assault Meta event.

Inside is a maze. Throughout are Luminescent Lurchers that will down you in one hit and kill you in another. However, if you collect floating orbs that are distributed throughout, you'll find that you are temporarily invulnerable to these enemies and even able to temporarily incapacitate them.

In other words: it's Pac-Man.

The name of the game is staying alive and collecting loot from Lesser Nightmare Pods- doing so actually contributes to a group progression of the event through multiple rounds.

Here are the locations of the pods:
Hgkmh14.jpg

In the dead center of that map, approachable from the east, is a Greater Nightmare Pod which requires a Key of Greater Nightmare to open- this chest has some damn good loot in it, and can be opened as many times as you have keys on you during the event.

Notes:
  • The Labyrinth event takes place after The Breach. Our objective will be to lead a Silverwastes map through the defense, kill the bosses in the breach, then lead the charge into the Labyrinth.
  • If all 5/5 bosses are defeated during the Breach, everyone gets a Key of Greater Nightmares automatically to take into the Labyrinth.
  • A Key of Greater Nightmare can also be formed by combining 25 Nightmare Essences (right click on them when you have a stack of 25) with a Bandit Skeleton Key- so buying one of those from the Bandit Crest Vendor before heading into the Labyrinth isn't a bad idea.
  • The Lesser Nightmare Pods can drop Keys of Greater Nightmare outright, so they're worth running around to tag even if you've already opened the chest.
  • Lesser Nightmare Pods also drop loot in addition to Nightmare Essences- keep an open inventory and get as many as you can!

Join us at 8 and we'll hit the Silverwastes for our chance to do this as a guild. If the map is on the defense phase, awesome- we'll take it over and hopefully lead a successful Breach! If it's on the Breach or Labyrinth phase already, we can participate in them, and I'll also be leading a full cycle through to the Labyrinth again.

Hope to see you there!

FYI

I was in a great map 4 for 4, I wasn't going to leave that map to play with the guild, no offense..I finished off my fangs thanks to that map...

Cracklox

Spyware you unintentional genius! I can make stuff!

And yep, I mentioned I feel stupid about not figuring it out and boy do I.

I was in the damn discovery tab, thinking that was where you had to do the combining, and literally everything was red. I didn't realize you had to actually click on the item in the production tab, and you can go from there. Outside of the finer points, of which I'm sure there's a few, I think I've got it now. It was just getting over that initial hurdle.

Thanks a tonne for pointing me in the right direction with a very good 'idiots guide to crafting'

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
It's not like anet is averse of doing theme-based LS with achievements not needing a story to play, at least that seems to be the case. The halloween event shows that. Maybe the wintersday year 3 will be like that again.

ANET has already said that holiday events for 2014 will be same as last year.
This was true for Halloween but they had better rewards that kept people playing Halloween content thought out those 2 weeks.

I think similar thing will happen with WintersDay.

LiveSpartan235

Neo Member
Since they're starting Wintersday on December 16th does that mean that episode 8 won't come out till December 30th if Wintersday like Halloween is 2 weeks long or if it runs on for longer episode 8 won't release till January 5th?

With Charr, do all shields hover away from their back and arm?

Edit: Actually, I messed around with some and there are ones that seem to go into the arm.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
1 other question. I think I've been around for the last 2 chapter updates, so per what you are saying I will have access to them at any point. How many did I miss in season 2 before that? Just trying to get an idea of what I'll be up for.
Missed this sorry! 4 episodes, then there was a break during which you joined us, and you unlocked 5 and 6.
Oh and looks like i'm missing the Pac-man event. I think thats happening right now or very shortly if I'm not mistaken. Sometimes being from the future sucks :(
Sorry you missed it... another this weekend isn't out of the question... need to use my goddamn key! :D
Seeds of Truth is going to be "a doozy".
It still gets me... like, there's a patch 6 days from now. That's so soon. I hate that we're already at the point where it seemingly gets taken for granted by the community.
Just $20 for a game like Guild Wars 2 is really crazy, when you think about it:

This is a ludicrous value, one of the absolute best deals in the history of gaming. Is there a Gaming side thread for it?

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I made it... too good a deal not to broadcast

like... okay... I don't like to take jabs at other games. I really don't. But I am interested in the market and sometimes it seems like I'm taking crazy pills when I look at how Blizzard is operating.

Can someone help me out here? I think I must rather clearly be missing something. You buy this, right, for $50 or $70 for the deluxe. But then it says, "Requires World of Warcraft," so I'm thinking that clearly means you can't just buy WoD and start playing. The base game seems to be discounted right now to $5, which is nice, so that's $55 or $75. The base game includes 30 days of playtime, but the expansion doesn't appear to include any. So, if you buy it today, then on December 27th, if you want to keep playing that's another $15, bringing your total to either $70 or $85 by the end of 2014, for what I'm sure is a very high quality game and expansion but... one that... you know.. came out in 2004?

Finally, again unless I'm missing something, it appears to list everything you get for the deluxe edition of WoD on that page I linked... $20 difference from the basic digital...

So right now, Guild Wars 2 is the same price as a WoW mount, pet, and back pennant, plus Hearthstore card art and two Starcraft II profile images. o_O
I bought (finally) got the game.

Is the post about playing with a Controller up to date? I'm willing to try that first.
Welcome :) It is! I'm happy to help if you have any specific questions getting it set up, though. As long as you're not running Windows 8, it should work fine. There may be issues if you have UAC (User Account Control) enabled, but you can try before disabling it.

Thorgal

Speaking about the controller , the only downside i have found with it is that i cannot run around and type in the chat window at the same time .

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls
Speaking about the controller , the only downside i have found with it is that i cannot run around and type in the chat window at the same time .

This is why I'm so silent all the time.

Also a good investment to keep on your lap or side:
1819yLF.jpg

Who told you the controller setup doesn't work in Windows 8, Hawkian? You guys keep mentioning it, but I've downloaded it and tried it twice with no issues in 8.1 (the last time being just a few months ago).
I couldn't bring myself to give up mouse and keyboard.
I think the only thing I may have done was change the programs to compatibility mode with Windows XP and set them to run as administrator.

If there is someone who can't figure it out for Windows 8, I can try installing it again and see what their issue is.

Retro

I don't like to take jabs at other games. I really don't. But I am interested in the market and sometimes it seems like I'm taking crazy pills when I look at how Blizzard is operating.

Can someone help me out here?

You pretty much have it right.

$20 for Vanilla WoW plus the first four expansions (get one month of sub free), $50 for the new expansion, $15 a month every month after the first. You cannot play any of the new expansion content without buying vanilla.

The only thing you missed is that buying the new expansion lets you level one character to 90 instantly, which means you pretty much skip all of the old content you have to buy in order to play at all. Which is fine because the way Blizzard adds content to the game means they basically abandon all of the old content, leaving all of these zones frozen in time (in terms of story, visuals and gameplay) and completely empty. When I still played, trudging through empty, outdated Vanilla and TBC content was a huge barrier to rolling alts. Which is no surprise that they let you skip it now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom