• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT4| The only subscription you need is this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
More like, I'm expecting answers like "pvp is dead", "anet/noone cares about pvp" etc.
*shrug* I like it, I've always liked it. Really shows off the combat system which is a pretty deep "actiony" system for an MMO that has its fingers in so many different pies.

I'm not talking about hype and hypetrains, just some sort of excitement to spark out a discussion. After all, they are promising some big changes/revamps of the core pvp systems that almost everyone playing more seriously wanted to see years ago.

We are talking about "better"(that's to be seen) matchmaking, which takes into account lots of different factors now (even profession type). Map vote too.
We are talking about more harsh Dishonor system, very similar to the one found in GW1 and there it does a damn fine job at keeping off leavers, trolls and all the bad habit players.
We are talking about more accurate and reasonable ladderboard, which should now give players bigger initiative to compete. And after this, Leagues and Seasons should follow.
Well, that's all really good stuff. Dunno what else to say about it!

The last one should really be what PvP players are looking forward the most, because it was one of the most requested feature(along side proper matchmaking) back when the game launched. Instead, we got sh**ty matchmaking algorithm and this broken leaderboard which means nothing and noone care about it. And we had to deal with them for more then year and a half.
Yeah, I'm too casual to care primarily about that, but it is a nice addition.

Khrno

And yeah, it's already confirmed the game will be 50% off starting Wednesday, so you picked a good time to jump in.

Thanks for all the answers guys.

Yeah I meant just to reach cap and complete the main story (even if a few of the last dungeons need people as you all say).

I just don't want (and can't) commit to a game that requires partying up to do the content. I just got burned out on ARR raids due to my heavy working schedule not allowing me to properly meet with my raid group, so before the last update that added a new endgame raid I told them I was leaving the LS.

But I do want to try another mmo from the ground up without much commitment to other people, that's what I meant by solo.

Anyway, I'll be grabbing the game during the sales.

Yeah I meant just to reach cap and complete the main story (even if a few of the last dungeons need people as you all say).

I just don't want (and can't) commit to a game that requires partying up to do the content.

I think you're in good hands. I tend to play GW2 solo more than I do with other people, because I can take it at whatever pace I feel, engage in the content that interests me (exploring, crafting, etc), and I don't need to rely on anyone else, especially not for the story content. You could literally treat GW2 like a single-player game that just happens to have other players running around.

Just take it slow, enjoy the scenery, and spend time acclimating to the gameplay. It's quite different from things like FFXIV, in that there's no real proper way to play, no set optimal rotations, and you'll need to get used to dodging things (since it's an action game).

Shiokazu

Thanks for all the answers guys.

I just don't want (and can't) commit to a game that requires partying up to do the content. I just got burned out on ARR raids due to my heavy working schedule not allowing me to properly meet with my raid group, so before the last update that added a new endgame raid I told them I was leaving the LS.

But I do want to try another mmo from the ground up without much commitment to other people, that's what I meant by solo.

Anyway, I'll be grabbing the game during the sales.

you be quite surprised how the opposite of FF14 guild wars is.

HECK you can run the most difficult dungeons using regular endgame gear. :v

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I just don't want (and can't) commit to a game that requires partying up to do the content. I just got burned out on ARR raids due to my heavy working schedule not allowing me to properly meet with my raid group, so before the last update that added a new endgame raid I told them I was leaving the LS. .
Oh, there's nearly nothing even close to that. The games have different design philosophies in that regard. If you want to join the guild and come for guild events and missions, you're welcome to, otherwise you can spend your time however you like.

As Shiokazu (who we call Vil) noted, the gameplay is primarily skill-reliant, you can typically complete even the toughest content, including new stuff added in updates, without even close to best-in-slot gear.

5il3nc3r

I think i made a mistake with my cowcat. Made him the largest size possible. I might be wrong but i think it's the reason why it feels like he's running in slow motion. It's driving me nuts. Anyone here tried making a small charr? The smallest size possible. Does it mitigate the problem? I have no more character slots so i can't really test this out.

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls
I think i made a mistake with my cowcat. Made him the largest size possible. I might be wrong but i think it's the reason why it feels like he's running in slow motion. It's driving me nuts. Anyone here tried making a small charr? The smallest size possible. Does it mitigate the problem? I have no more character slots so i can't really test this out.

Because all characters run at the same speed, larger characters feel like they're running through quicksand.

After playing Asura for 4 months, switching to a Charr felt horrific. Solution: I made all my guys Norn. Now I know nothing else.

Retro

That's why I'm very careful to make sure my Norn and Charr characters have / will have passive run speed buffs or easy access to swiftness. That's also why I have one Norn and zero Charr; it was just too much of a hurdle for me to mentally overcome.

nataku

Yeah, I didn't make large Charr for exactly that reason. Mine isn't the smallest one, if you take the slider as the unit of measure mine is about one slider height from the bottom. It makes it feel so much better when running.

It's the same thing with large Norn. The animations are just too slow and it makes it feel terrible.

Wanderer5

I pretty much got used to the large size heh, even when i switch off to playing my non charr characters at times.

Got around getting a pact fleet weapon, and it the hammer! Was thinking of the staff, but think I love the leyline one too much.:p Might look into the greatsword or sword in the next week or two if I get a bit more gold.

2014-11-24_00003_zps84744ed2.jpg

Cracklox

Ding! Thief to 80

Feels good. Now on to the game proper I suppose. Though the temptation to start another class, likely Ele, is strong.

Now I'm there it's a little daunting. Any tips for a fresh 80? Mainly advancing gear and getting that up to scratch. I'm incredibly broke with less then 1g so i'll have to do something about that, but how/where is the best way to acquire good stuff without having to necessarily pay? I did blow 63,000 karma on a sweet dagger from a vendor in the grove, and got a decent ring out of the forge, but that's about all I have atm

I gather the forge is a good way of acquiring gear but after said ring on the first roll, I chucked in a few more things and got squat. I have some stones, that apparently if you throw in, make for a better roll, but I got 2 lots of sweet fuck all when I used them. I'll check out the wiki, but again any tips would be good.

Still haven't crafted a thing either. Well kinda. I did craft 1 thing from the huntsman station, but now every single ingredient on the left hand side (of which I have quite a few now) is shaded out in red and won't let me use. I had a read over of the wiki, and that indicated being in red means I am within 5 levels of using that ingredient? Does that mean all the materials I have are of too high a level and I need to find some shittier quality mats, so I can craft my way up to using all the other stuff I currently have? I feel pretty stupid about this. I can usually figure out crafting in other games but this has got me pretty much totally bamboozled. I didn't worry to much about it while leveling, but I'm at the point where, I gather its pretty important

Other things to do. I only have 44% map completion with quite a few areas I haven't even set foot in yet. There also the living story which I can finally partake in, as well as a good number of dungeons I haven't seen, let alone the 3 different pathways in each. Few Fractals still to see as well. Outside of that, and acquiring exotics, skins etc along the way, am I missing any other level 80 activities that would be of interest? Not that, that list of things won't keep me going for a good while. Just curious on what else may be available that I don't know about.

Moondrop

Banned
Mainly advancing gear and getting that up to scratch. I'm incredibly broke with less then 1g so i'll have to do something about that, but how/where is the best way to acquire good stuff without having to necessarily pay?
First I recommend making sure that you have at least level 80 green (masterwork) gear for all of your equipment and accessories. That should only cost you a couple silver each. There are multiple ways to get orange (exotic) level gear for cheap such as karma or WvW badges if you've been around a while, but at this point your best option is probably running dungeons to gather tokens.

I gather the forge is a good way of acquiring gear
No no please no. I don't put anything into the "Mystic Toilet" unless it's one of the handful of guaranteed recipes. Gambling is a losing proposition.

Still haven't crafted a thing either. Well kinda. I did craft 1 thing from the huntsman station, but now every single ingredient on the left hand side (of which I have quite a few now) is shaded out in red and won't let me use. I had a read over of the wiki, and that indicated being in red means I am within 5 levels of using that ingredient? Does that mean all the materials I have are of too high a level and I need to find some shittier quality mats, so I can craft my way up to using all the other stuff I currently have?
Yeah the color of text indicates whether that recipe will give no XP, a lot, a little, or is as yet unavailable or soon to be available (red). Yes, you likely need to discover new recipes to raise your crafting level.

Other things to do. I only have 44% map completion with quite a few areas I haven't even set foot in yet. There also the living story which I can finally partake in, as well as a good number of dungeons I haven't seen, let alone the 3 different pathways in each. Few Fractals still to see as well. Outside of that, and acquiring exotics, skins etc along the way, am I missing any other level 80 activities that would be of interest? Not that, that list of things won't keep me going for a good while. Just curious on what else may be available that I don't know about.
World vs World (vs World)

Cracklox

First I recommend making sure that you have at least level 80 green (masterwork) gear for all of your equipment and accessories. That should only cost you a couple silver each. There are multiple ways to get orange (exotic) level gear for cheap such as karma or WvW badges if you've been around a while, but at this point your best option is probably running dungeons to gather tokens.

Yep. Guess I can go grab a few cheap 80 greens to fill some spots for now, but do want want some of those nicer yellows and oranges. Especially the skins.

Uhh dungeon tokens? I've done a few dungeons and don't really recall those and what they might be for

No no please no. I don't put anything into the "Mystic Toilet" unless it's one of the handful of guaranteed recipes. Gambling is a losing proposition.

Heh. Couldn't agree more with the last sentiment, being an actual fact and all. Duely noted. Now that I think about it I've seen it referred to as the 'Mystic Toilet' by more then a few people.

World vs World (vs World)

Yet to try and opinions seem widely varied. Sounds pretty interesting but. A bit of a spin on regular PvP. Though, I generally prefer multiplayer stuff in the co-op vein as opposed to head to head. Are the rewards worth it?

Retro

New Trailer: Seeds of Truth:
http://youtu.be/bb31EADk9eA
I have no idea what the hell is going on there, but it looks like we're going back to Dry Top. Inquest torturing Sylvari, centaurs fighting... crazy.

It almost sort off looked like players will be disguised as Sylvari, or maybe we get a glimpse into The Dream and all of that is in the past. Maybe we go poking around to see what Caithe's secret is.

Thorgal

Yep. Guess I can go grab a few cheap 80 greens to fill some spots for now, but do want want some of those nicer yellows and oranges. Especially the skins.

Uhh dungeon tokens? I've done a few dungeons and don't really recall those and what they might be

Every time you finished a dungeon in the final chest will be tokens specific to that dungeon which you can exchange in Lions arch for weapon and armor themed to that Dungeon.

Wanderer5

I have no idea what the hell is going on there, but it looks like we're going back to Dry Top. Inquest torturing Sylvari, centaurs fighting... crazy.

It almost sort off looked like players will be disguised as Sylvari, or maybe we get a glimpse into The Dream and all of that is in the past. Maybe we go poking around to see what Caithe's secret is.

That centaur camp might be a new place in Silverwastes. Yeah that trailer is a bit, "what...?" Would be interesting if this is a glance in the past of Caithe. Is that Faolain in there?

Cracklox

Thanks Thorgal. Will check that out tomorrow.

1 last question. I can apparently purchase the season 2 chapters that I have missed so far, for gems. Now if I'm not mistaken gems equate to real money and you also attain a decent amount every 5000 APs (I currently have around 600 :p)

Is there anyway to circumvent this? 5000 APs is along way off. I am at the point where I feel the game can have some more of my hard earned. Though, in a strange way I would prefer to spend it on some pretty aesthetic stuff or whatever, then on content that was released at a time, I unfortunately wasn't playing.

I want to get into the living story, but I would prefer to pick it up from the start (of season 2 at least) instead of jumping in half way through. I mean, I just found out the other day Lions Arch wasn't always in ruins, and it made me sad that I missed how all of that played out, and what it looked like before it was trashed. A living, breathing, evolving world is a big part of this game and part of its unique appeal. Having to essentially pay real money to experience a part of that because I wasn't playing in time, doesn't seem entirely fair.

Sorry if that discussion has been played out in the past too. I imagine it could have been a point of ire.....

Spyware

I have no problem with the run speed even when switching from asura to some big charr. I'm really glad I don't care :D

Got around getting a pact fleet weapon, and it the hammer! Was thinking of the staff, but think I love the leyline one too much.:p Might look into the greatsword or sword in the next week or two if I get a bit more gold.
You have good taste ;) That is one pretty charr!

Ding! Thief to 80
Congratulations!

I have some stones, that apparently if you throw in, make for a better roll
If you mean the Mystic Forge Stones then nah, they just count as another piece of whatever you throw in (like a weapon if you throw in a stone + three weapons). The toilet can be nice if you wish to upgrade Runes and Sigils since the non-max ones are pretty cheap and common. Other than that I don't use it much, especially not for the gambling with exotics and stuff :p

Still haven't crafted a thing either. Well kinda. I did craft 1 thing from the huntsman station, but now every single ingredient on the left hand side (of which I have quite a few now) is shaded out in red and won't let me use. I had a read over of the wiki, and that indicated being in red means I am within 5 levels of using that ingredient? Does that mean all the materials I have are of too high a level and I need to find some shittier quality mats, so I can craft my way up to using all the other stuff I currently have?
Ugh, I'm the worst at explaining stuff but I'll try. :D

So. You have 2 different ways to craft stuff, and mostly you have to combine these two ways to get something useful.

The second tab is "Production". You should start here, and specifically with Refinement.
My list are way longer than yours because after a bunch of crafing levels new stuff will appear. First as red that you can't use yet, then they become more yellow, green and pale and that shows how much exp you get for crafting them (lowert the more pale they get, ending with grey and zero exp).

You should at least have Green Wood Planks, Dowels, Leather and Bronze in your list.

4dUofKu.png

iKKzfop.png

Make this stuff! Only reason not to make as much as you can is space and if you wanna craft on other characters. I usually at least make a bunch of each until they are all grey.

Then you need to make the parts! To make a pistol you have to craft both the barrel and the frame. They should both be in this list.

YZB2DD8.png

jmY311H.png

I wish that was the end of it, but sadly you have to make it have some kind of power!
So we have to go to Inscriptions!

U1lA1dn.png

48yaAit.png

All weapons need an inscription. The materials here depends on what stats you want the weapon to have. You have to craft the same tier of inscription as the weapon. For example Green Wood and Bronze go together, you can't craft the Bronze and Green Wood weapon parts and then add an inscription made from Soft Wood.

When you have these three parts you need to go to the Discovery tab instead.

wOR3uqk.png

Here your parts will show up and you have to combine them! This is only done the first time, after that the character knows how to make the item and it will be in the list under "pistol" (or whatever weapon you made). Only the chosen stat version will show up tho (like Mighty Pistol), the others have to be discovered separately.
The other stuff in this list makes things like sigils and you have to "discover" them to learn them too.

Here is an example of a random discovery.

QcLpy5y.png

Red icons means I don't have enough levels in this prof to use them (if I hover over them they say "Huntsman (400)" and I'm only 387 so that's a no go). If you can't match anything then you don't have the materials necessary (often it's those slivers and orbs and stuff that are pretty rare drops).
There is always a level to the discoveries, and the closer to your level, the more exp you get. Crafting already known recipes gives exp (as long as they are colored) but it's way less than discovering stuff. So for leveling you basically craft a bunch of pistol parts and then all the different inscriptions to discover all the different stat versions of pistols.
I hope this wasn't too confusing and at least of some use!

Yeah it looks like we're going to the past. I think that's Faolain with Caithe and perhaps it's back when the sylvari first met the asura and got experimented on? It was all a bit messy and chaotic so I dunno. That was my first thought anyway.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
So, in terms of progression, you can get Exotic armor and weapons from:
-The Trading Post (earn gold)
-Dungeons (tokens)
-Orr (Karma)
-PvP (reward tracks)
-WvW (badges of honor)

Those are in (my opinion of the) descending order of accessibility.

You also want to aim for Ascended (purple) trinkets- accessories, amulet, rings from the following places:
-Fractals (rings)
-Laurels from daily/monthly (amulet)
-Guild Missions (accessories)

Ascended armor and weapons are much more involved and a longer-term goal for a small stat increase if that interests you (I still don't have ascended weapons/armor myself)

In terms of just stuff to see and do, you can decide of whether it interests you or not, but here are some things to checklist:
-Do all the jumping puzzles
-Do all the Daily World Events (specifically you can see the Orr Temple Events now that you're 80, too)
-Do all the Meta Events
-Complete every dungeon path once (Dungeon Master title)
-Check out Dry Top and the Silverwastes, play through the map progression on each
-Collections/scavenger hunts (check out the Collections tab in the hero panel)
-WvW
-PvP (technically not a level 80 activity as it puts everyone on an even power field, but I didn't start getting into it til 80)
Definitely; he can also run World Events for rare gear upgrades, and each dungeon path will give roughly enough gold outright for a basic Exotic too while saving up tokens.
Uhh dungeon tokens? I've done a few dungeons and don't really recall those and what they might be for
Only from Explorable mode- they went straight into you wallet. Ascaloanian Tears are a good example. You can use them to buy unique sets of level 80 exotic armor and weapons from each dungeon.

Yet to try and opinions seem widely varied. Sounds pretty interesting but. A bit of a spin on regular PvP. Though, I generally prefer multiplayer stuff in the co-op vein as opposed to head to head. Are the rewards worth it?
Meh. Kinda. Badges of Honor (the WvW currency) gets you some good stuff, there are rank up rewards which can include rare gear, and tons of XP and Karma. But it's a lot of fun and mostly people WvW cause they find it enjoyable just to jump in, the large-scale battles can be really exciting and intense. For time invested the rewards in the traditional PvP are much better minus the Karma, but if you're not really into head to head competition stuff it might not be interesting to you.

nataku

Looks like we play as Caithe or something and view her past with Faolain.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I never even said congrats on hitting 80 lox! Awesome!
Thanks Thorgal. Will check that out tomorrow.

1 last question. I can apparently purchase the season 2 chapters that I have missed so far, for gems. Now if I'm not mistaken gems equate to real money and you also attain a decent amount every 5000 APs (I currently have around 600 :p)

Is there anyway to circumvent this? 5000 APs is along way off. I am at the point where I feel the game can have some more of my hard earned. Though, in a strange way I would prefer to spend it on some pretty aesthetic stuff or whatever, then on content that was released at a time, I unfortunately wasn't playing.

I want to get into the living story, but I would prefer to pick it up from the start (of season 2 at least) instead of jumping in half way through. I mean, I just found out the other day Lions Arch wasn't always in ruins, and it made me sad that I missed how all of that played out, and what it looked like before it was trashed. A living, breathing, evolving world is a big part of this game and part of its unique appeal. Having to essentially pay real money to experience a part of that because I wasn't playing in time, doesn't seem entirely fair.

Sorry if that discussion has been played out in the past too. I imagine it could have been a point of ire.....
I appreciate that last line, it's not the kind of thing people typically concern themselves with! :)

First off a little background,

The current scenario is a bit of a compromise. In Season 1, if you missed the episodic content, you missed it. Some aspects of the updates changed the game in particular, but the story aspects would disappear with each new episode. Forever. It was just gone, and there was no revisiting it if you weren't there in term. While this actually wasn't something that I was entirely opposed to (these releases were exciting and HUGE population draws and this was before the Megaserver days ;D).

Now, as long as you log in a single time during a release window, it's unlocked for your account for free, forever. You don't have to play it within the release window, you can log in once and then six months later go back and play through it. The ability to unlock episodes you missed entirely for gems is a step in favor of people who "missed out", over just "you're out of luck."

On that topic- I'm sorry you missed the Battle of Lion's Arch. It was pretty awesome and LA was a beautiful city before, and it definitely sucks that you weren't able to see that. Hopefully at some point it will be rebuilt to even higher glory that its early days. But it's important to note that in a truly changing world- rather than an illusionary one via phasing or what have you- things like this that happen in the open world will always be "missable." If you aren't there for it, you aren't there for it! It would make me really sad, to offer a different perspective, if they stopped doing stuff like this because of the potential for people who weren't playing to miss out.

In pragmatic terms, here are your options with regard to the Season 2 episodes:
-Shell out the cash for the gems, now or later
-Earn gold to convert to gems and buy each episode that way, one by one
-If you are most concerned with the story/experience rather than the Achievments and Rewards, someone can bring you along with them into the episodes in their party. In fact, we could have events to rerun the old Episodes for people who haven't done them yet and don't want to buy them, and fill in some details that carried over from Season 1.

My theory on Caithe's Secret:
It will be revealed that when Caithe and Faolin were still together she unknownigly helped Faolin bring 2nd born Sylvari to Asura for them to experiment on them.

This trailer is kinda of strange because it looks like it only shows the story missions. Wonder if anything will be changing with open world events or map expansion.

See you all at Labryinth guild event tonight.

Killing innocent bunnies wasn't as cathartic as I wanted it to be.

I had made record time getting to Lupi and was so proud of myself for not dying a single time on the way there. Why couldn't the game just let me keep my instance? :(

I just found out the other day Lions Arch wasn't always in ruins

There were hints, all through Season 1, of something coming to Lion's Arch:

February 18, 2014 - Escape from Lion's Arch begins:

Climaxing in this awesome fight, which had pretty good mechanics:

And ending with the most satisfying Finisher I've had since I started playing:

Such good times.

That big ruined structure in the middle of Kessex wasn't always in ruins either, we brought down the Tower of Nightmares.

While it's cool that now, people can't really ever "miss" anything, I think for those of us who were dedicated and cared enough to log in every two weeks to see the world change, things just aren't as cool anymore. We won't ever have a Lost Shores again, or a Tower of Nightmares. The "you had to be there" coolness is gone. For a while, GW2 did what no other MMO bothered to do again since UO - have a world that changed, even if you weren't there to see it change. The player wasn't the most important thing in the universe, the world was.

Now, the player comes first, above all else. Which is fine, but I miss the other way of doing things.

Mxrz

Guild is doing more pvp since we grabbed an arena. Figured I'd brush up on builds some in hot join. Join trailing red team. Make a come back. Suddenly autobalanced to blue team. Red team ends up with a 7 to 4 advantage the rest of the match. No wonder this game mode can't draw in new players. The introductory mode/phase is awful.

Jira

I do agree with you MIktar. In season 2 we've had stuff like the waypoints and the vines appearing in new places, but nothing like SSC, LA, Kessex. Not to say it's not going to happen of course, it's very easy for them to do something like it again, they just have yet to do it this season.

I certainly don't begrudge ArenaNet for changing the focus of Living World slightly - Season 1 was an experiment after all, both in terms of content delivery, and their own internal pipeline for developing content on such a grueling schedule, what's required to create engaging content in a short timeframe (lots of lessons learned here), and so fourth.

Guild is doing more pvp since we grabbed an arena. Figured I'd brush up on builds some in hot join. Join trailing red team. Make a come back. Suddenly autobalanced to blue team. Red team ends up with a 7 to 4 advantage the rest of the match. No wonder this game mode can't draw in new players. The introductory mode/phase is awful.

Perhaps I've just played too many FPS games online, but that's just normal to me. Playing anything online, TF2, CoD, CS, etc - on winning team, some people ragequit, get autobalanced to losing team, etc. You just ride it out. In GW2 (and most good FPS games), they still award you the win if you were on the team that won at some point, so being autobalanced removes nothing from you. It doesn't take your win, you still get all the rewards. In some respects, it gives you more: you get to fight an uphill battle, learn from the experience. "Calm seas do not make for an experienced sailor" and all that.

But yeah, it "feels" bad to be winning, then to get autobalanced (even though you get a reward for opting to fill the side that needs it).

To be honest, I think the game mode has trouble drawing in new players because PvP requires a much higher commitment and thicker skin that PvE, always has, always will. And PvP tends to have a small but vocal toxic element - I can't go through more than three PvP matches, regardless of Hotjoin or Tourny, without getting someone whispering me all sorts of crappy things about how I play (even if we win and I'm top scorer). So I can understand how some people might try PvP, then not go back after a bad experience.

Fort Salma is pretty much gone, vines messed up a large area in Iron Marches, and the Town of Prosperity only lasted two weeks before most of the NPCs there were murdered. Poor Drooburt...

Maybe not LA scale, but a few areas have been permanently altered.

Fort Salma is pretty much gone, vines messed up a large area in Iron Marches, and the Town of Prosperity only lasted two weeks before most of the NPCs there were murdered. Poor Drooburt...

Maybe not LA scale, but a few areas have been permanently altered.

That's true - I forgot about Fort Salma and that one in Lornar's PAss, forget the name. And Iron Marches permanently has those vines. I guess it loses some of its impact when it's split like that - the majority of the content being permanent, with only side-bits being "temporary", well, more like transitory. I wonder if anyone is actually tracking all the gameworld changes like this on a wiki somewhere.

Moondrop

Banned
For all the flaws of Living Story Season 1, I wager that years from now we will recall those open world events more vividly than any instanced content of Season 2. Hopefully Anet will find the right balance for Season 3.

Small mechanics note from this episode; I think I can now post this without a spoiler tag: did anyone else notice that Marjory's greatsword attack is a 3 hit chain that applies a 2 second chill on the third hit?

Mxrz

Perhaps I've just played too many FPS games online, but that's just normal to me. Playing anything online, TF2, CoD, CS, etc - on winning team, some people ragequit, get autobalanced to losing team, etc. You just ride it out. In GW2 (and most good FPS games), they still award you the win if you were on the team that won at some point, so being autobalanced removes nothing from you. It doesn't take your win, you still get all the rewards. In some respects, it gives you more: you get to fight an uphill battle, learn from the experience. "Calm seas do not make for an experienced sailor" and all that.

But yeah, it "feels" bad to be winning, then to get autobalanced (even though you get a reward for opting to fill the side that needs it).

To be honest, I think the game mode has trouble drawing in new players because PvP requires a much higher commitment and thicker skin that PvE, always has, always will. And PvP tends to have a small but vocal toxic element - I can't go through more than three PvP matches, regardless of Hotjoin or Tourny, without getting someone whispering me all sorts of crappy things about how I play (even if we win and I'm top scorer). So I can understand how some people might try PvP, then not go back after a bad experience.

You get the victory rewards, but the experience is pretty rotten. Once a match is too far out of balance its basically a farm fest. What most learn from being that outnumbered is 'avoid being that outnumbered.'

Seems like there could be something better as an opening experience.

Moondrop

Banned
Well isn't that what they're doing, transitioning hotjoin to "Practice" and introducing unranked arenas called "Play?"

I hardly look at the score in hotjoin; it's about testing mechanics only for me. But I see your point about how it could turn off new players. But then again, I agree with Miktar's general sentiment that the interest and retention of PvP-centric players is independent of the degree of hand-holding.

Small mechanics note from this episode; I think I can now post this without a spoiler tag: did anyone else notice that Marjory's greatsword attack is a 3 hit chain that applies a 2 second chill on the third hit?

Interesting.

This could mean maybe they really are thinking of adding GS to Necros or they are just treating it like a "Bundle" weapon with unique skills.

@Miktar, have you ever thought of creating a GW2 Fansite/Blog where you chronicle your play through the story/living world/anything using your awesome screenshots?

@Miktar, have you ever thought of creating a GW2 Fansite/Blog where you chronicle your play through the story/living world/anything using your awesome screenshots?

I regret not having done that from the start. I'd love to do it now (perhaps when Season 3 starts), but until I get a full-time job again, it's not on the cards.

Agreed. I thought the upcoming PvP changes were addressing it, at least partially.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Season 2 Guild Event: GAF Pac-Man - 8:00PM EST, 11/25/2014

Our own spoiler embargo is up, so here we go! Added with the "Tangled Paths" release was a new area to the Silverwastes: the Tangled Labyrinth.

While you enter this area during the Story missions and face some Mordrem boss fights, out in the open world it's still accessible during what used to be the "Time Out" phase of the Silverwastes assault Meta event.

Inside is a maze. Throughout are Luminescent Lurchers that will down you in one hit and kill you in another. However, if you collect floating orbs that are distributed throughout, you'll find that you are temporarily invulnerable to these enemies and even able to temporarily incapacitate them.

In other words: it's Pac-Man.

The name of the game is staying alive and collecting loot from Lesser Nightmare Pods- doing so actually contributes to a group progression of the event through multiple rounds.

Here are the locations of the pods:
Hgkmh14.jpg

In the dead center of that map, approachable from the east, is a Greater Nightmare Pod which requires a Key of Greater Nightmare to open- this chest has some damn good loot in it, and can be opened as many times as you have keys on you during the event.

Notes:
  • The Labyrinth event takes place after The Breach. Our objective will be to lead a Silverwastes map through the defense, kill the bosses in the breach, then lead the charge into the Labyrinth.
  • If all 5/5 bosses are defeated during the Breach, everyone gets a Key of Greater Nightmares automatically to take into the Labyrinth.
  • A Key of Greater Nightmare can also be formed by combining 25 Nightmare Essences (right click on them when you have a stack of 25) with a Bandit Skeleton Key- so buying one of those from the Bandit Crest Vendor before heading into the Labyrinth isn't a bad idea.
  • The Lesser Nightmare Pods can drop Keys of Greater Nightmare outright, so they're worth running around to tag even if you've already opened the chest.
  • Lesser Nightmare Pods also drop loot in addition to Nightmare Essences- keep an open inventory and get as many as you can!

Join us at 8 and we'll hit the Silverwastes for our chance to do this as a guild. If the map is on the defense phase, awesome- we'll take it over and hopefully lead a successful Breach! If it's on the Breach or Labyrinth phase already, we can participate in them, and I'll also be leading a full cycle through to the Labyrinth again.

Hope to see you there!

Thorgal

Here is something to ponder :

Has mordy actually risen yet ?
Obviously he is awake and spreading his corruption around and his minnions , but is he actually on the surface and trumping around ?

Reason i am pondering that is after doing some lore digging i realized that almost every elder dragons awakening caused a "cataclysmic ' event .

]Jormag caused a 4 year long blizzard that sent the kodan and Norn to flee south and caused major earthquakes that ravaged the land and destroyed all the ice mountain cities

Krallkattorik after awakening caused what is now known as the dragonbrand .

Zhaitan awakening caused an entire Peninsula to rise from the bottom of the ocean .

can we say that we have seen anything from mordy on that scale yet ?

I am wondering if
S2 will end with Mordy bursting out of the ground and leave a Location of tyria in complete ruins ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom