• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT4| The only subscription you need is this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rath

Neo Member
Just started playing but enjoying it quite a bit. Went with a ranger and enjoying how it plays so far. The open world stuff is cool too, got to join in on Shadow Behemoth last night.

Would like an invite into the guild if possible: Rath.2689

Retro

Just started playing but enjoying it quite a bit. Went with a ranger and enjoying how it plays so far. The open world stuff is cool too, got to join in on Shadow Behemoth last night.

Invite sent, and I messaged you in-game on how to represent. Welcome!

Emitan

It's not really an accomplishment but I reach rank 100 in WvW and I'm happy about it!

CYmVTPa.jpg

Levyne

Banned

Welcome! The guild doesn't have enough Ranger mains in my unbiased opinion.

My low-level advice is just to try out all the weapons. Don't stick to bows exclusively.

Zeroth

I was under the impression Rangers only ever need two weapons:

A longbow

And
a second longbow for when they get tired of the skin of the first one.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
So many new folks, warms my ol' heart. I hope some of you can make it to our guild missions on Saturday night, 9:00PM EST! You won't necessarily be able to take part in all of them (when we activate a mission, it's random which one we get to do that week) but about half are accessible if you're ~level 20.

True story, I didn't see SB for the first time until I was level 60-something.

Spyware

Lots of new people! Yay!

Cresc and I met it in the first BWE. We duoed it and it took quite some time :D
Spoilery pic for the new peeps. Don't click until you've seen Behemoth in game!
I'm so sad those high resolution screens had the water bug (as you can see in the pic it made water "repeat" in tiles) and other problems. I liked them.

Rath

Neo Member
Invite sent, and I messaged you in-game on how to represent. Welcome!
Thanks! Accepted and am representing! Had to jump off right after I did though due to work and daughter waking up. Planning to jump on tonight and hopefully say hi to everyone in game.

So many new folks, warms my ol' heart. I hope some of you can make it to our guild missions on Saturday night, 9:00PM EST! You won't necessarily be able to take part in all of them (when we activate a mission, it's random which one we get to do that week) but about half are accessible if you're ~level 20.

I was surprised at how populated the beginner zones are and how cool SB looked. And Saturdays are usually bad for me unfortunately, usually running a board game night unless people have other plans. :(

Thorgal

Thanks! Accepted and am representing! Had to jump off right after I did though due to work and daughter waking up. Planning to jump on tonight and hopefully say hi to everyone in game.

I was surprised at how populated the beginner zones are and how cool SB looked. And Saturdays are usually bad for me unfortunately, usually running a board game night unless people have other plans. :(

Yeah with the introduction of Megaservers it solved the problem of having people running through empty starty zones and zone's in general .

As for Missions , there are also Makeup missions on Sunday at 3 PM EST.

Taffer

I'd go for Mesmer over Ele in a choice of which to level first because of how unique they are. Elementalists are great but you could still (unfairly!) describe them as standard spell-flingers, Mesmers are WTF magicians.

Retro

Since we're sharing Shadow Behemoth stories, when I was showing the game to my brother during BWE1, we lucked out and were in Queensdale when he appeared, but our characters were only level 10. We still managed to make it down there and fight him. I'm pretty sure that encounter sealed the deal and he ended up pre-ordering right after that.

Lots of new people! Yay!

We're averaging 3 a day since the sale started, which doesn't sound impressive until you realize it's only GAFers and most of the big MMO fans on the forums already own the game.

If I had to pick a secondary, it'd be Ranger. Mine runs Greatsword and Sword / Horn, not a bow in sight.

I've never been able to get used to the auto-attack animation for Ranger sword. Maybe it's just that he's a Norn, but he totally spazes out. Feels like they tried to put too many skills on one weapon. I've always felt like Kick should have been the #2 skill with pounce as a secondary effect, then Hornet Sting as #3. Serpent Strike feels too similar to the dagger's Stalker Strike (both poison, both evade, similar range, names, CD)... seems redundant.

That'd be the Megaservers doing their job. Instead of every server being completely isolated (as they are in most MMOs), ArenaNet has a system where it puts as many people as possible into a single instance of the zone regardless of world (though it factors in things like guild membership, friends list, and language on the EU servers). End result: Zones are jumpin' 24/7.

No problem on missing Saturday missions, we have Makeup Missions at 3pm on Sundays. A lot of folks can't make the regular missions (especially in Europe) so we try to accommodate as many schedules as possible.

Moondrop

Banned
Ele is a blast with Dagger / Dagger since it's very close-range and has a lot of interesting skills. Scepter / Dagger is also fairly fun. Staff is very effective but a tad dry, but I'm a little biased against that playstyle (I usually don't play casters in MMOs because they always stay back and just nuke).
I feel this is a bit of an unfair characterization of Staff. D/D is fun due to its mobility, but has little utility other than might buffing. Both D/D and S/D are offensive-oriented and I find lacking in support and control.

Staff on the other hand has support and control in spades. Every non-fire attunement has potent AoE control skills: a giant stun field, a giant chill field, a line of warding. There's also the best ele healing kit (AoE cleanse and AoE heal), secondary control spells (a push and an immobilize), and other amazing goodies (a long evade, a blind, AoE swiftness, a reflect...).

Moreover, my staff ele isn't staying back and nuking because I'm standing in a stack and nuking. Moreover, my staff ele isn't staying back and nuking because I'm using mobility, dodges, plus all of my control skills just to keep my squishy self alive. My ele must not be hit.

I've never been able to get used to the auto-attack animation for Ranger sword. Maybe it's just that he's a Norn, but he totally spazes out. Feels like they tried to put too many skills on one weapon. I've always felt like Kick should have been the #2 skill with pounce as a secondary effect, then Hornet Sting as #3. Serpent Strike feels too similar to the dagger's Stalker Strike (both poison, both evade, similar range, names, CD)... seems redundant.
Levyne may be our pre-eminent ranger, but I'm the defender of the mainhand sword #1 skill chain. Each skill is purposely and carefully balanced as a tool to stick on the target, while crippling them and boosting might to your pet. Really its only flaw is that the game has passed it by- pvp ranger beastmaster builds have been nerfed into paste, and other weapons have since been buffed to greater relative effectiveness.

I agree indirectly that the #2 skill should be something else- though even that would be fixed by reducing the windup time on the evade. And the #3 skill is certainly redundant with dagger #4- but I wouldn't rectify that by shaking up sword; on its own that evade is quite useful. In fact I find ranger dagger to be the most redundant weapon; I wouldn't bring it with sword or axe.

Levyne

Banned
Whenever I see a Ranger using a dagger in the wild I double take.

I love the Sword 3 dodge. I really don't like sword 2, at least for pve. That wind up and it can really mess with your positioning.

Moondrop

Banned
That wind up and it can really mess with your positioning.
Messing with your positioning is the point. :p Pro-tip: the evade is in a direction relative to your target. So if engaged with a foe in melee, swap targets and hit 2 to evade in an unexpected direction. Swap targets again or drop target before you activate the second part of the chain, the leap, to really mix-up your positioning.

Leap finishers are also underrated; ranger has easy access to water (personal heal of same magnitude as blast), fire (might boosting), and/or ice (damage reduction).

Mxrz

"These airships are a combination of Asura, Charr and Human technology!"

Humans. The guys losing a war to centaurs armed with bows, spears and rocks. Why do you lie to me, Trahearne.

I actually like the Ranger sword autoattack and how it keeps moving me towards my target - it's great when you're fighting something that moves around a lot. Most melee classes have some kind of 'chaser', but their cooldowns keep them limited. The Ranger sword is kind of unique in that way, only the Thief has something that comes kinda close. The drawback being, of course, that you're committed to some of the sword chasers as the skill cycles through them, making it hard to interrupt at just the right time. A kind of risk-reward, is how I always saw it.

Now I feel like playing my ranger.

Retro

I feel this is a bit of an unfair characterization of Staff.

It's totally personal preference. The support and control elements (while very good, and I always use staff in dungeons for just that reason) just aren't on the same excitement level for me as being in melee range with D/D skills and all that mobility. I'm not saying staff is bad by any stretch, only that it tends to fit with what most players expect from MMO magic user classes.

Levyne may be our pre-eminent ranger, but I'm the defender of the mainhand sword #1 skill chain. Each skill is purposely and carefully balanced as a tool to stick on the target, while crippling them and boosting might to your pet. Really its only flaw is that the game has passed it by- pvp ranger beastmaster builds have been nerfed into paste, and other weapons have since been buffed to greater relative effectiveness.

I agree indirectly that the #2 skill should be something else- though even that would be fixed by reducing the windup time on the evade. And the #3 skill is certainly redundant with dagger #4- but I wouldn't rectify that by shaking up sword; on it's own that evade is quite useful. In fact I find ranger dagger to be the most redundant weapon; I wouldn't bring it with sword or axe.

Yep, we've talked about this. I still feel like I lose control of my character because he's moving around without my direct input. Yes, I know to turn auto-attack off, but that seems like a workaround for the issue rather than a solution to it. It also doesn't eliminate the potential issue that new players who try Ranger may find it really weird and potentially off-putting (and for a profession like ranger where the draw to use a bow is especially strong, getting the "Rangers can melee too!" point across seems more important than usual).

I think the problem is that Hornet Sting serves the exact same purpose as the Kick / Pounce attack sequence; both put distance between you and the enemy and then allows you to close that distance rapidly. Hell, they both even cripple, though at different phases of the attack.

Move the cripple to Hornet Sting's initial stab and let Monarch's Leap grant might to your pet and they're practically the same skill. The interrupt you get from Kick isn't exactly on demand either since it's buried in an attack chain, potentially 1.25 seconds away (maybe more depending on Pounce's travel time). Not being able to dodge at certain points during Kick is problematic too.

Dagger doesn't work well because the only two options to pair it with are ranged (axe) or make the dagger redundant (sword). Dagger needs another melee option to pair with, basically (maybe mace, main-hand dagger seems too close to Thief territory).

Or, you know, I'll just stick to Axe / Axe and a bow.

Moondrop

Banned
I think the problem is that Hornet Sting serves the exact same purpose as the Kick / Pounce attack sequence; both put distance between you and the enemy and then allows you to close that distance rapidly.
The Kick/Pounce sequence does not put distance; it only closes.

Move the cripple to Hornet Sting's initial stab and let Monarch's Leap grant might to your pet and they're practically the same skill. The interrupt you get from Kick isn't exactly on demand either since it's buried in an attack chain, potentially 1.25 seconds away (maybe more depending on Pounce's travel time).
There's no interrupt with the Kick. Perhaps you're thinking of the greatsword counterattack.

Or, you know, I'll just stick to Axe / Axe and a bow.
Yeah, this is what I was referencing as other weapons being buffed. I run axe/axe + greatsword now. Greatsword is a more complete melee kit than sword+anything.

Retro

The Kick/Pounce sequence does not put distance; it only closes.

There's no interrupt with the Kick. Perhaps you're thinking of the greatsword counterattack.

Yep, I just checked the wiki, my bad. Disregard the scrub Ranger.

Yeah, this is what I was referencing as other weapons being buffed. I run axe/axe + greatsword now. Greatsword is a more complete melee kit than sword+anything.

Also true, I like the Axe / Axe because the bouncing projectile and spread helps with multi-enemy encounters without giving up the range (both long and shortbow are kind of meager with AOEs, barrage's CD is too long, SB only has Poison Volley).

Greatsword being so solid only makes sword stand out to me more to me. I just can't get it to mesh with the way I approach this game (same for Necromancer, it just doesn't 'click' with me). Doesn't mean it's bad, just that it's not my cup of tea. Luckily there are plenty of other options in both cases.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Season 2 Guild Event: GAF Pac-Man - 8:00PM EST, 11/29/2014

Hitting the Silverwastes again tomorrow night before missions! I'll be in for at least one full assault-breach-pacman cycle. The remainder of this post is just a repost of the event description. Hope to see you guys there and then missions then makeups then monday then patch!

--

Added with the "Tangled Paths" release was a new area to the Silverwastes: the Tangled Labyrinth.

While you enter this area during the Story missions and face some Mordrem boss fights, out in the open world it's still accessible during what used to be the "Time Out" phase of the Silverwastes assault Meta event.

Inside is a maze. Throughout are Luminescent Lurchers that will down you in one hit and kill you in another. However, if you collect floating orbs that are distributed throughout, you'll find that you are temporarily invulnerable to these enemies and even able to temporarily incapacitate them.

In other words: it's Pac-Man.

The name of the game is staying alive and collecting loot from Lesser Nightmare Pods- doing so actually contributes to a group progression of the event through multiple rounds.

Here are the locations of the pods:
Hgkmh14.jpg

In the dead center of that map, approachable from the east, is a Greater Nightmare Pod which requires a Key of Greater Nightmare to open- this chest has some damn good loot in it, and can be opened as many times as you have keys on you during the event.

Notes:
  • The Labyrinth event takes place after The Breach. Our objective will be to lead a Silverwastes map through the defense, kill the bosses in the breach, then lead the charge into the Labyrinth.
  • If all 5/5 bosses are defeated during the Breach, everyone gets a Key of Greater Nightmares automatically to take into the Labyrinth.
  • A Key of Greater Nightmare can also be formed by combining 25 Nightmare Essences (right click on them when you have a stack of 25) with a Bandit Skeleton Key- so buying one of those from the Bandit Crest Vendor before heading into the Labyrinth isn't a bad idea.
  • The Lesser Nightmare Pods can drop Keys of Greater Nightmare outright, so they're worth running around to tag even if you've already opened the chest.
  • Lesser Nightmare Pods also drop loot in addition to Nightmare Essences- keep an open inventory and get as many as you can!

Join us at 8 and we'll hit the Silverwastes for our chance to do this as a guild. If the map is on the defense phase, awesome- we'll take it over and hopefully lead a successful Breach! If it's on the Breach or Labyrinth phase already, we can participate in them, and I'll also be leading a full cycle through to the Labyrinth again.

Since I am bored of fighting Trillia week after week, tonight I propose the formation an elite task force with which to seek out whichever bounty the rest of the guild decides to skip. Since it would be a small group, it would preferably be people with world completion/lots of waypoints so we can get into the correct map quickly, find the target, and strike hard.

GAFractal peeps (Zeroth, Taffer, Moondrop, Levyne, Miktar, Jayemji, Rowland) would certainly be highly-qualified candidates (hint, hint). There are five bounties I've never fought before, so I'm hoping to see one of them pop up. At the very least I'd like to fight a bounty we haven't done lately.

Emitan

Since I am bored of fighting Trillia week after week, tonight I propose the formation an elite task force with which to seek out whichever bounty the rest of the guild decides to skip. Since it would be a small group, it would preferably be people with world completion/lots of waypoints so we can get into the correct map quickly, find the target, and strike hard.

GAFractal peeps (Zeroth, Taffer, Moondrop, Levyne, Miktar, Jayemji, Rowland) would certainly be highly-qualified candidates (hint, hint). There are five bounties I've never fought before, so I'm hoping to see one of them pop up. At the very least I'd like to fight a bounty we haven't done lately.

If you give me the waypoints in advance I can go grab em on my thief

Thorgal

If there are any people watching this , have a character level 60 at minimum and have never done Tequatl the sunless world event yet or any veterans who wants to join sice it has been a long time , i invite you all to come to the SBI Teq run at 8 PM est .

Meeting place in Southsun cove to later ferry over to splintered coast waypoint .

be their at the latest before 7:30 .

Moondrop

Banned
I'm glad the midi website era has passed, or this thread would suddenly have carols playing when I opened it.

Sure Ike, I'm down.

Taffer

So long as there's enough people at the official bounty that we can be spared I don't see why not, the actual hunting of the bounty has always been my favourite part. Training bounties are cheap enough that can spring for some extra shots at new targets later if we want (60 silver and 72 hours build time each).

Retro

Excellent missions, everyone. Thanks for coming out in force and congratz to our lotto winners.

Makeup Missions are tomorrow at 3pm Eastern.

Tuesday is Update Day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom