• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT4| The only subscription you need is this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Besides, 4 weeks is not that long considering it takes some MMOs a full year to add content.

I really don't know why we should keep comparing Guild Wars 2 to other MMOs. I don't play other MMOs I play this MMO because I think it is the best and I really enjoy it.

That excuses doesn't make me feel any better because I've enjoyed all the content they give me I just don't agree with them splitting it up like this.

Also other MMOs may take longer than a year but that is to work on an expansion which doesn't even matter because I don't care what other MMOs do. Even if this expansion/content of other MMOs just increase the level camp add some new skills and a new continent/region that's a whole lot more work than a LS episode. It is really a shitty comparison.

I don't really get why you guys want a break from the game if you enjoy playing it.

If episode 4 is as huge as they are making it sound to be that should have been released this year to finish off 2014 with a bang.

The original GW2 concept was supposed to be expansion based, so I was fully ready even at launch to get long breaks in between.

I don't mind the wait if it gets me that big new content similar to a launch day.

Lunar15

One I finish building my new PC, I might be on this game a bit more than usual. Not because of the PC, but because I have a friend who is getting into it and would like me to show him the ropes.

Honestly, I haven't kept up with any of the changes to the game other than the story content, including all of the changes they made for new characters. Hell, I have no idea what the current meta is in terms of stats, runes, etc. Haven't been keeping up with that stuff at aaaallllll.

I don't really get why you guys want a break from the game if you enjoy playing it.

I never said I was taking a break from the game - just that I can enjoy a break from constant new content. Having the new content flow stop for a while lets me catch up. I don't try to finish every episode 100% the day it hits, and when I do play the new episodic content, that means I'm not doing a whole array of other things I want to focus on too (I want to spend more time in WvW, for example).

There are also other games I want to dedicate more time too, but since I have a limited amount of time in my day, I can't just play X *and* Y, I gotta make a choice what to play in the timeslot. Having a bit of a break from *new content* makes it easier to go "I'll skip GW2 this time and play Other Game a bit instead".

Of course I enjoy playing it - I'd argue I enjoy playing GW2 more than 80% of the people who have ever posted about GW2 on NeoGAF. But it doesn't have to be my dayjob.

EDIT: Thinking about it, I know people who've been playing for over a year and haven't even *started* any of the Living World episodes yet. This break might get them to finally check it out, if they can get off the world boss train for a few minutes.

Ludovico

...people who've been playing for over a year and haven't even *started* any of the Living World episodes yet. This break might get them to finally check it out, if they can get off the world boss train for a few minutes.

Guilty...
I hope I get a chance to do all the current LS stuff, especially being out of school for two weeks.
Priorities for the next three weeks or so:
1 - Hit my monthly (halfway there, won't be an issue once break starts)
2 - Dig into Wintersday. Only got to do the JP last year, so I'm excited to see what else is there.
3 - Living Story. Start to finish. I've only completed the first episode but that was ages ago.

In the process I'm sure I'll hit my third level 80. And maybe even get some dungeons in.

Retro

You misunderstand; I don't think anyone wants a break, it's that they're okay with one happening. It's a busy time of year in which gaming usually takes a back seat to other activities, so most of us are okay with the timing.

spiritfox

You misunderstand; I don't think anyone wants a break, it's that they're okay with one happening. It's a busy time of year in which gaming usually takes a back seat to other activities, so most of us are okay with the timing.

True, with all the games coming out I haven't even explored Silverwastes fully.

When did the vine make it all the way past Red Rock Bastion?

15297065494104768512_sge8k.jpg

15297065494104768512_nnds3.jpg

I can't remember if it was already that far when I was on this morning or not.

Cracklox

I'd be willing to do this if we can find a time when we're both on at the same time. Are you guys able to play the story normally if I'm replaying it? Never done this before.

I'm in EST and I mostly play after 5pm on weekdays and intermittently on the weekends depending on whether I have plans outside my house or not :p

Thanking you.

Yeah, as Thorgal suggested you can apparently invite people even if they don't have it unlocked, without issues.

When you say EST, do you mean (Australian) EST? If so, great. I'm around the same in terms of when I can play. If not, it could get tricky but I've found weekends, around lunch time here works out to be Friday/Saturday night in the States so that would probably work best.

5il3nc3r

Is it really that expensive to level up a crating profession? I went to gw2crafts.net for a guide to level up huntsman and according to the guide it will cost me around 22g to fully level huntsman. That's very expensive! I only have 25g on me.

Is it really that expensive to level up a crating profession? I went to gw2crafts.net for a guide to level up huntsman and according to the guide it will cost me around 22g to fully level huntsman. That's very expensive! I only have 25g on me.

I believe it's 22g if you have to buy all of the materials from the Black Lion Trading Post. Most of the crafting professions I've leveled up have been by obsessively salvaging items I don't need and by gathering while exploring. For the fine crafting mats I either gather them organically (e.g. loot drops) or spend laurels on them. That'd be the cheapest way to level up your crafting, though it also takes the longest.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
When did the vine make it all the way past Red Rock Bastion?

I can't remember if it was already that far when I was on this morning or not.

iirc it was added on the recent patch

damn, I have to wait for four weeks to get Arthropoda, assuming that exotic is found in the exotic weapons chest that is given to you via completing all ascended armor skins.

5il3nc3r

I believe it's 22g if you have to buy all of the materials from the Black Lion Trading Post. Most of the crafting professions I've leveled up have been by obsessively salvaging items I don't need and by gathering while exploring. For the fine crafting mats I either gather them organically (e.g. loot drops) or spend laurels on them. That'd be the cheapest way to level up your crafting, though it also takes the longest.

Crafting from 1 to 400 isn't too bad. I'd even call it cheap.

400 to 500 is where things get pricey. 100g+ pricey, at least for a few crafts.

Good to know. Looking at the trading post, the price for crafted items seems really low. Am i correct in assuming that crafting is not a viable path to make money?

Good to know. Looking at the trading post, the price for crafted items seems really low. Am i correct in assuming that crafting is not a viable path to make money?
For the most part, no, although cooking can be good. Crafting is mostly for XP and being able to craft ascended items which have the stats you want.

Spyware

Because I also like many other things. My big problem is actually liking GW2 too much. I keep playing it every day instead of giving some of my time to the games in my huge backlog. I wanna be in GW2 when stuff happens. I don't rush to finish everything quickly and I actually already fall behind when stuff releases every two weeks since I like leveling and stuff too. During December I won't have much time to play on my PC since I have other plans and would have fallen behind even more. I will still do my daily and play mostly every day, but I won't be doing anything in SW or story stuff.

I do want it actually :p I will play and enjoy my dailies and lovely, lovely Wintersday. If they would keep releasing other things too I would not have time to play it anyway. This "break" is preferrable to me since I can enjoy Wintersday without feeling the need to go do SW stuff "while it's hot".

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
I take it we will never defeat Faolain and Caudecus huh? I mean, it's not like the Nightmare Court and the human corruption will vanish without them. Look at Kudu, we killed him yet Inquest remains active.

Thanking you.

Yeah, as Thorgal suggested you can apparently invite people even if they don't have it unlocked, without issues.

When you say EST, do you mean (Australian) EST? If so, great. I'm around the same in terms of when I can play. If not, it could get tricky but I've found weekends, around lunch time here works out to be Friday/Saturday night in the States so that would probably work best.

Nope, North American EST, so UTC -5 :( I don't think I have any plans on the weekend, so I can do Friday/Saturday night most likely. Add me in game, appletoasty.7062 :)

Yes let's lose the momentum in the story just because you guys have backlogs to finish.

Also I think it's unlikely that they are still working on episode 8, that's probably done because most devs will be off for holidays and there is no way they are finalizing episode 8 from jan 2nd to jan 12th, that's way too close to release.

Just because some of us like playing stuff right away doesn't mean people with backlogs need to. You guys can log in, unlock and log out and go play other games. Don't make us wait 6 weeks for episode 8 when it's getting so interesting especially since after a finale there is usually another's drive break.

Levyne

Banned
Stop being so dramatic or all you'll catch is a hawk/retro megapost.

Being more serious, I'll just repeat and say I knew and expected Wintersday to induce a break. Both for in game event and wrt winter holidays for the developers.

Cathcart

Someone tell me about crafting ascended gear. I think I know the basics and I've decided I'd like to work towards making the 1h sword for my Mesmer. I haven't even started crafting so I know it's not a short term goal, but I also know that there is some material that has a once per day crafting limitation? I'm wondering what the requirements are to make that and what I should be saving up so I can start that part as soon as possible.

Gimmie some tips!

Please :)

Stop being so dramatic or all you'll catch is a hawk/retro megapost.

Being more serious, I'll just repeat and say I knew and expected Wintersday to induce a break. Both for in game event and wrt winter holidays for the developers.
Yeah those two spend more time mega posting than actually playing the game. Worst guild leaders ever. Wish Ashodin played more.

Moondrop

Banned
Gimmie some tips!
There are two major limitations:

1) Leveling a given crafting profession to 500, as detailed recently in the thread. A sword obviously requires Weaponsmithing.

2) Limitation of a single daily creation of these tier 7 mats from combining multiple lower tier materials:
http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Bolt_of_Damask
http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Elonian_Leather_Square
http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Spiritwood_Plank
http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Deldrimor_Steel_Ingot
For a sword, you'll need planks and ingots.

There are also things like vision crystals that are crafted with ascended materials, but these things are usually not the limiting factors if you play regularly. Sorry, I only do megaposts about ranger pet skills and healing coefficients.

Someone tell me about crafting ascended gear. I think I know the basics and I've decided I'd like to work towards making the 1h sword for my Mesmer. I haven't even started crafting so I know it's not a short term goal, but I also know that there is some material that has a once per day crafting limitation? I'm wondering what the requirements are to make that and what I should be saving up so I can start that part as soon as possible.

Gimmie some tips!

Please :)

Recipe: http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Zojja's_Blade
(Click on recipe ingredients to get recipe for ingredients)
Base ingredients: http://wiki.guildwars2.com/index.ph...s Blade&Base_ingredients[2]=1&wpRunQuery=true

Cathcart

OK, awesome. I knew there were items with a long cooldown on crafting but wasn't sure which ones they were. Also did not know about that ingredients tool on the wiki, that's pretty nice. Thanks, guys.

omg it even shows current TP prices, sweet.

Wiki is awesome.

Ps while in game you can type /wiki "item or character or mission name" and it will launch your default browser and take you to the relevant page in wiki.

Levyne

Banned
Gw2crafts.net is a great resource if you just want to shut your brain off and turn minimal time/gold into a level 500 crafting profession. That would be step one.

Remember to use a crafting experience boost and also you can use ascended refinement at 450.

Spyware

Yes let's lose the momentum in the story just because you guys have backlogs to finish.
Yeah, ANet totally did this for us backloggers, no other reason! ;P

Just because some of us like playing stuff right away doesn't mean people with backlogs need to. You guys can log in, unlock and log out and go play other games. Don't make us wait 6 weeks for episode 8 when it's getting so interesting especially since after a finale there is usually another's drive break.
It's not about the unlockable episodes. I'm in no hurry to do that stuff since it's not changing. It's about SW and events in the open world. I fell behind on Dry Top stuff and when I had the time to finish stuff there it was pretty hard to find good and organized maps. If people finish up the current SW events during Wintersday and THEN take this break when I can play again, I'll miss it again.
The break works for me, it's preferrable to me and I'm happy with it.
I do wish they had started this part two weeks earlier so that they could have had the upcoming episode before the winter break but they didn't and we can't change it now. They can't release anything now except an unimportant holiday event thing due to multiple reasons.

Gaile said it well.

You all should play the game like I do. Stop being weird.

Also Gaile says they don't want to release something during holidays because people have holiday/family things to do, yet WintersDay update is still coming and is "getting its time to shine" on it's own.

I say push Wintersday to December 30th and give us episode 8 next week. They each get thier time "to shine" and this way you won't screw over the people who love the story and want to see what's gonna happen next.

I have the best ideas and non of you will change my mind!

Zeroth

You all should play the game like I do. Stop being weird.

Also Gaile says they don't want to release something during holidays because people have holiday/family things to do, yet WintersDay update is still coming and is "getting its time to shine" on it's own.

I say push Wintersday to December 30th and give us episode 8 next week. They each get thier time "to shine" and this way you won't screw over the people who love the story and want to see what's gonna happen next.

I have the best ideas and non of you will change my mind!

Won't you have to wait anyway for what happens after this episode? Seems silly to push for it to happen so soon for a reasons that will be negligible for people who play the episodes later on.

That is, assuming you are being sincere and not fishing for silly replies. In this case go talk to Taffer.

Yes let's lose the momentum in the story just because you guys have backlogs to finish..

Oh, if only they'd add back some minigames, perhaps then I'd have more reason to want a new episode.... but y'know, they can't. Because Kos hates minigames, we all have go do without. ;)

EDIT: Of course I'd rather have a new episode next week than Wintersday. We all would. But it's not happening, so what point is there to me whining and pining about it? The reality is, it's not happening, I can't always get what I want, so the quicker I get over it, the happier I be with what I do get.

Life.(tm)

Won't you have to wait anyway for what happens after this episode? Seems silly to push for it to happen so soon for a reasons that will be negligible for people who play the episodes later on.

That is, assuming you are being sincere and not fishing for silly replies. In this case go talk to Taffer.
That wait makes sense because it will be a new season. I just don't like these long breaks between episodes.

Thorgal

I quite like the break for two reasons :

1 i can find the time to play something else .

2, now that the story is effectively on hold i can refocus on other things i want to do in the game like some more GAFractals , the continuing quest to a legendary , perhaps even get around to finally run the Arah dungeon paths and Making ascended armor .

Optional 3rd : everyone will be too drunk to play GW2 later this month anyway :p

Oh, I like this!

Introducing the New Daily Achievement System
https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/introducing-the-new-daily-achievement-system/

With this new system, we want to give players the opportunity to try things they may not normally experience and feel like the rewards they earn for doing so mean something. Rather than having a generic reward for all achievements, each one will give players something that is thematically tied to the content they’re playing.

f6f19Dailies-850x850_EN-590x590.png

Completing a fractal daily achievement will get you an extra pristine fractal relic, some additional agony resistance , and a tome of knowledge; taking a tower in WvW for an achievement will grant you World vs. World experience and additional badges of honor; or capturing a point in PvP will give you additional reward track progress

Also this:

As part of this change, we removed achievement points from the individual dailies. In the past, if you wanted to max out your achievement points, you’d have to do all ten daily achievements in a day and run all over the world. Instead, we’ve created a new meta-achievement for completing any combination of three daily achievements from any category. Completing this meta-achievement will award you a flat 10 achievement points that count toward your daily achievement point cap.

Not sure about log-in rewards, but they're hip these days - almost every game has them, even Gran Turismo 6.

The first time you log in each day, you’ll receive a new bonus reward. The items on this new reward track are not only a combination of the previous daily and monthly achievement rewards but also some additional items we’ve added, including bags full of trophies needed for crafting and an exotic equipment chest guaranteed to give you an item for the profession of your choice.

1921dLogin-890x740_EN-590x490.png

Levyne

Banned
Monthly achievements are gone. I know you quoted the part that says that, just wanted to re-state that.

Edit: That final log in chest sounds really neat

There are 28 individual rewards on the track, each one building toward an epic chest containing a permanent 1% increase to account gold find and your choice of either ascended crafting materials, materials necessary for crafting your legendary weapon (including mystic clovers), an additional sum of laurels, or tomes of knowledge.

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls
As part of this change, we removed achievement points from the individual dailies. In the past, if you wanted to max out your achievement points, you’d have to do all ten daily achievements in a day and run all over the world. Instead, we’ve created a new meta-achievement for completing any combination of three daily achievements from any category. Completing this meta-achievement will award you a flat 10 achievement points that count toward your daily achievement point cap.

Ho ho ho, now I'll only need to log in for 20 minutes!

i want to do in the game like some more GAFractals , the continuing quest to a legendary , perhaps even get around to finally run the Arah dungeon paths and Making ascended armor .

I'd be interested in fractals and Arah if you ever get around to it. Never done Arah either, but probably need to learn it eventually if I want to make a legendary. :p I've done enough fractals to finish Mawdrey, somehow completely avoiding the Swamp and Snowblind ones...

Zeroth

I knew it would be that before I clicked, and if it wasn't I would link them anyway. Thief should be before Guardian for maximum effectiveness though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom