• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT4| The only subscription you need is this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
All these teasers...just keep putting the dagger deeper while we wait 4 weeks for an update, that more than likely will have nothing to do with these teasers just as the previous 3 updates didn't.

Man, it's a rough life when you're impatient, huh? :p

Yes yes, I also want it all, want it now, now mommy now - but seriously, whining isn't going to make it happen faster.

Now that's just bullshit. I've been onboard with GW2's story since day one, I even like the Pact half of the Personal Story, and I was rooting for Roxx and Kabrahm since day fucking one. I thought Scarlet was a great villian, and I could not WAIT for each new episode, I still can't.

I *really* want to see what happens next.

I just don't see the point in being a whiny baby about it.

Don't start with some whackjob Manichean thinking of "oh, you're either shouting at Anet with me to release it now fuck your holidays and family, or you're someone that hates the story and couldn't care less".

We don't need that crap here.

Don't like the story as much, my fuzzy Charr ass.

Oh you rascal...

xU7TfeD.jpg

swnny

... and so far all my matches have been tense, really close calls. Perhaps one out of every ten matches was that annoying 50:500 steamroll

My last few games (except for one, which I forgot to screencap)

Nothing even come close to being a balanced and fair game.
Not fun for neither of the teams. And its being like this for a week now.

I do think the matchmaking needs to be a bit more aggressive on trying to equalize the professions - but since matches are found in like a second, I think they're likely focusing on speed over accuracy. That needs some tweaking.

Matches pop in a second, because the system just matches you with the first players it founds. No sorting, filtering, nothing:
That’d be me. Sorry. I basically gave the system a lobotomy until we can get in a fix to let it think smarters.
https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/forum/game/pvp/Matchmaking-Changes-12-5/4618111
Yeah, I put min-potentials down all the way because people were getting long queues. I’ll ramp it back up once the next patch hits and it can scale down by itself.
So the good news is that you’ve got super fast queue, the bad news is that its with the first people we found.
https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/forum/game/pvp/Matchmaking-Changes-12-5/4618019

I do find it funny though that for all the whining about Skyhammer, if it shows up on the map selector it gets overwhelming votes for it - while the new TDM map, a mode that was heavily shouted for, rarely gets any votes.

But since the map selector is a little rotating random picker like Mario Kart, at least there is still the chance for the TDM map to come up if I pick it.

Are we talking about ranked or unraked games here? I have like 30 ranked games so far, and I have yet to play on Skyhammer or Spirit Watch. Everything is mostly Forest or Legacy votes. Haven't touched unraked, so I have no idea what's over there.

I've played on it a few times so far, and it's a blast - I like the new dynamics that come into play in TDM, reminds me a lot of Dragon Arena (which I wish they'd bring back). This PvP overhaul has me excited for PvP again, and I can see myself playing more.

I have played few games on Courtyard and its hard to call it a new game mode. It's just 5v5 battle, which ends after the first encounter and after it it's just snowball to the end.

Perhaps I was just lucky or it was the time of day, but I also noticed a lot less 'gtfo noob' and 'omg you're worst engie ever' since the update. If it drove away a lot of the angry tryhards, even better.
Definetly lucky you, since the patch almost all matches have a trolling player, who whines/rages/curses the whole game. I myself couldn't take it and raged once. It's just unplayble at the moment...

Mxrz

I've done 50 or so unranked since the patch. It has seemed fairly decent on my end. When I que up solo or duo, I usually get an even match. I've only had one bad experience and that was when I landed on premade vs premade. - Queing up as a guild has been a blowout each time. Which is to be expected given 3/5 of us were totally new to pvp. Talking to the other groups, it sounds like there's a real lack of full groups queing, so when we que we get thrown up against guys using team builds, rotations and things.

The system isn't perfect, but I'm thinking its about as good as they can get it. Can't do much about premade teams farming unranked, and courtyard makes me rage whether I win or lose, but there's no real downside to losing either. Its made pvp better for me, at least.

To add - I do see a hurdle. Its going to be hard to get better as a team when we get thrown against people that outclass us. After our last attempt, the general consensus was go in solo/duo in order to learn. If its a lack of players causing the mismatch, not sure how they could address that. I'd love to see the Zaishan AI/training teams added some day, but that might be way too complicated to pull off in GW2.

Seeing that other place get all worked up and pitchforked out over ANet not revealing all their plans is pretty annoying. I'm not sure what caused this weird belief we're owed information. Back in my day, we liked when a developer surprised us with stuff. We buy the game, we play it. We like it, we give them more money. That is the end of the transaction. We aren't developers. We aren't in charge. We aren't owed anything. Trying to interject more into it than that is really twisted.

And ffs. Its entirely possible to have an original thought and not recycle a class from GW1 or some other mmo. Making giant assumptions about a video game, and then getting pissed off about it has to be a sign of the modern devolution of the species.

That is the end of the transaction.

Tell me about it. These days, I get such a strong Misery vibe from some people who buy games, I fear a little for the developers. Yes, the consumer pays for the product, etc, but some people really take it too far with the "I pay your salary!" type thinking, that it's almost like they believe game developers are their personal slaves once they bought the game. Outright creepy.

Retro

When I was growing up in Bakersfield, my favorite thing in the whole world was to play Guild Wars 2 on Tuesday afternoons for the Living Story Chapters. Anyway, my favorite was Rytlock, and once it was a no breaks chapter. The bad guy trapped him deep in a crypt surrounded by ghosts and spectral flames and finally after charging his sword up, a pit opens up and swallows the sword! And when he dived in after it and was never seen again I was so upset and excited, and the next week, you better believe I was first to log in. And they always start with the end of the last week. And there was Rytlock, trying to get his sword, and here comes the pit, and just before the Charr went off the edge of the mists, he jumped free! And all the kids cheered! But I didn't cheer. I stood right up and started shouting. "This isn't what happened last week! Have you all got amnesia? They just cheated us! This isn't fair!! He didn't get out of the COCKADOODIE MISTS!"

Enough complaining about stupid stuff, lets theorize about the story.

- Do you think once these teasers come into the story, is Rytlock still in the Mists (ie, we go and meet him there) or has he come back already and he will jump straight into helping us fight Mordy?

- Is he really blind for good? Kinda strange. If so I would like to see what caused that.

- Do any of you feel like the finale of this season is gonna be way bigger than what we saw in LS1? They never hyped that finale like this.

- Why is Retro such a dick?

Taffer

-If Scarlet's hair was inspired by a plant in Dry Top why did she already have that hair as soon as she fell out of the tree?

What is the current best choice of weaponry for a thief at the present state? I've seen a lot of praise for dagger/pistol but that might be old news.

In also working on building a Warrior and was wondering if Axe/shield was good or just run Axe/Axe when I get there?
There isn't really a 'best' weapon set for thief, it really depends on if you are playing pve/pvp/wvw and if you are focused on condition damage or straight damage.
Rule #1: Never dual wield pistols.

pve: sword /pistol (lots of cleave damage and cc)

sword/dagger (lots of cleave damage, evasive, strips boons, good for pvp too)

shortbow (evasive, aoe damage, blast combo on demand)

world vs world: shortbow (mandatory for zerg), dagger /pistol (stealth combo), pistol/dagger (lots of bleed), dagger/dagger (good for roaming)

Axe/shield is classic, and is decent in most any area. I usually use axe/mace, personally. The cc on it is an aoe line rather than single target and you can squeeze more damage from vulnerability. Axe/axe is... Well it's ok, not really a fan of it. I'll grant that it has a good whirl finisher and can quickly pump your adrenaline in a crowd.

-If Scarlet's hair was inspired by a plant in Dry Top why did she already have that hair as soon as she fell out of the tree?

Didn't one of the Firstborn already go to Dry Top before Scarlet? Don't they sync their experiences and memories with the Pale Tree or something?

Retro

Enough complaining about stupid stuff, lets theorize about the story.

- Do you think once these teasers come into the story, is Rytlock still in the Mists (ie, we go and meet him there) or has he come back already and he will jump straight into helping us fight Mordy?

- Is he really blind for good? Kinda strange. If so I would like to see what caused that.

- Do any of you feel like the finale of this season is gonna be way bigger than what we saw in LS1? They never hyped that finale like this.

- Why is Retro such a dick?

- Yes. No, he's come back out somewhere unexpected. Maybe, he might have some particular insights that change how we fight Elder Dragons.

- Permanently blind.

- Yes. Elder Dragons literally reshape the world when they awaken. Zhaitan raised an entire continent. Kralkatorik was a mountain range and left a scar as long as the Shiverpeaks. If Mordremoth wakes up fully at the end of Season 2, it could change everything from the Silverwastes to Divinity's Reach or beyond (remember he has tendrils out as far away as Ascalon). The Grove and Rata Sum would be gone, maybe even without a fight.

- Years of Canadian oppression.

Taffer

Didn't one of the Firstborn already go to Dry Top before Scarlet? Don't they sync their experiences and memories with the Pale Tree or something?

Dunno. I got the impressions that they'd barely gone beyond the Grove by the time the second batch popped out and that Scarlet found the plant herself. They're both just assumptions though, I think someone mentions in the latest LS that Malomedies has already had a run-in with the Asura and maybe Trahearne said something about being on a trek somewhere recently. Maybe we'll get a flashback(er) scene with Wynne noticing the plant and making damn sure she remembers it and sends it back to the collective.

Zeroth

Dunno. I got the impressions that they'd barely gone beyond the Grove by the time the second batch popped out and that Scarlet found the plant herself. They're both just assumptions though, I think someone mentions in the latest LS that Malomedies has already had a run-in with the Asura and maybe Trahearne said something about being on a trek somewhere recently. Maybe we'll get a flashback(er) scene with Wynne noticing the plant and making damn sure she remembers it and sends it back to the collective.

That's pretty mean to your kind. They are still people, you know. Sweet, delicious plant people that go well with soy sauce, but still people.

Well, mostly.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
When I was growing up in Bakersfield, my favorite thing in the whole world was to play Guild Wars 2 on Tuesday afternoons for the Living Story Chapters. Anyway, my favorite was Rytlock, and once it was a no breaks chapter. The bad guy trapped him deep in a crypt surrounded by ghosts and spectral flames and finally after charging his sword up, a pit opens up and swallows the sword! And when he dived in after it and was never seen again I was so upset and excited, and the next week, you better believe I was first to log in. And they always start with the end of the last week. And there was Rytlock, trying to get his sword, and here comes the pit, and just before the Charr went off the edge of the mists, he jumped free! And all the kids cheered! But I didn't cheer. I stood right up and started shouting. "This isn't what happened last week! Have you all got amnesia? They just cheated us! This isn't fair!! He didn't get out of the COCKADOODIE MISTS!"
gold.

Cathcart

Are there any crafting restrictions based on character level? I'm thinking about leveling armorsmith on my Guardian but he's still only 30 and I'm not playing him a ton right now. Just want to make sure I don't spend the money only to find out I can't craft stuff for my 80.

spiritfox

Are there any crafting restrictions based on character level? I'm thinking about leveling armorsmith on my Guardian but he's still only 30 and I'm not playing him a ton right now. Just want to make sure I don't spend the money only to find out I can't craft stuff for my 80.

The equipment you crafted are level locked but you don't need to be a certain character level to craft something.

You can craft stuff on one character and as long as you don't use that item on that character you can give it to your other character to use.

You'll find that if you level a crafting progession from 1-400, you will get about 10 levels on that character. If you go to 500 (for ascended crafting, very expensive) you might get few more level, not exactly sure how many).

Cathcart

OK, thanks. That's awesome. I guess it makes even more sense to level the crafting on an alt, then. Looks like all of the good stuff you can make is account bound, anyway.

Retro

You'll find that if you level a crafting progession from 1-400, you will get about 10 levels on that character. If you go to 500 (for ascended crafting, very expensive) you might get few more level, not exactly sure how many).

They changed it; 8 levels to 400, 10 to 500.

Mxrz

So I don't want to buy Dawn from another player. Thinking I'm going to go on a crafting/forge splurge. Buying such a thing from another player just seems so hollow.

Guild mate writes about mmos for a living. When he joins us on dungeon runs, often remarks we skip 90% of the dungeon. He's always been right about that. But I can sort of understand the sentiment behind it better lately. GW2 can easily become all about the numbers.

Retro

Thanks to the upcoming update which does not include episode 8, the guild/game has died.

What is dead may never die.

We should have gone with the Octopus guild emblem like a few people suggested early on, then we'd totally be rockin' it like House Greyjoy.

Callunah

Neo Member
Hey WvW GAFfers =)

Got an email today from Josh (Foreman)...and he's planning to run WvW reset tonight... so if you're wanting to assist in showing him around, and helping with his WvW education, tonight's the night! (To my knowledge, this will be his first WvW experience!)

Reset happens at 8pm Eastern... and normally, people start collecting at the WvW portals just before.. (around 7:45ish).. so if youre interested.. be there! We use the SBI TS to hear direction from commanders, but of course, people also use our mumble to talk smack at the same time... (mic muted on SBI TS). Info for SBI TeamSpeak is in the guild MoTD if you havent seen or used it yet.

Hope to see a few of you out and about!

Ashodin

I've been running through multiple games lately (WoW's expac, playing hearthstone, Dragon Age, SWTOR's expac).

I'm starting to get bored of WoW, which is fine, since I have about less than a month on the game time I grabbed.

Hearthstone's new cards are a delight to play with, so I'm enjoying that just fine

Dragon Age is almost complete, so I'll be putting that away soon.

SWTOR's expac I'm not even high enough level to experience, so it's a slow going funtime enjoying the story up to it.

How does this relate to GW2? I've been putting off the last two updates to play them all at once (probably during Wintersday).

It's a lot of fun juggling games though!

The best I managed today after several hours of fighting Lupi was getting him to about 30% health.

I just can't do it. I've been stuck on phase 3 for months. The videos make it look so easy, and it's not. I can't get a feel for when and where to dodge, and I end up wasting dodges in the wrong spots.

So frustrating.

The best I managed today after several hours of fighting Lupi was getting him to about 30% health.

I just can't do it. I've been stuck on phase 3 for months. The videos make it look so easy, and it's not. I can't get a feel for when and where to dodge, and I end up wasting dodges in the wrong spots.

So frustrating.
Are you trying to defeat him with a specific set of traits/gear? Or is soloing him the only prerequisite?

Are you trying to defeat him with a specific set of traits/gear? Or is soloing him the only prerequisite?

Soloing with my Warrior is what I'm going for. I've got phase 1 down to the point that I can do it without taking a single hit, and phase 2 I can beat around half of my tries, but phase 3 just hasn't clicked yet. I get caught taking too much damage and not having my endurance ready for dodges when it really matters.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom