• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT4| The only subscription you need is this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tech-Wolf

tumblr_ngkagvwfgd1qlhor5o7_r1_1280.jpg

I find it find it funny that the fifth player (me) is missing in that picture, no one have manage to get me in a picture yet haha.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Retro, since we've actually got a fair few on the new side, can you repost your awesome scratch-off lotto graphic?

For people for whom our mission times are inconvenient, remember you can buy tickets at any point during the week and you don't have to be present to win. :)

Had a blast for my first Guild meet (Rufus Lee). Made two great friends in Latharaes and Sir Ludo. I kinda made a half-serious reply earlier about how I never had a feel for a guild and whatnot. But really, not to get TOO serious, but I'm someone who's dealing with mental health and it's kinda scared off a lot of people and caused me to distance myself from the few who ever wanted to stay. I've played MANY games and attempted to be apart of just as many communities, but none of those places ever really felt "right". But I had a lot of fun tonight and felt a sense of camaraderie, and felt like I was ACTUALLY apart of something.

So yeah, thanks to everyone who showed up and those throughout my first (not even complete!) week and took me under their wing and made me feel welcomed to the community. Hope to see more of the same faces tomorrow and the weeks and weekends to follow. I may've won 10G tonight, but you guys were the real prize
that was cheesy on purpose, I promise

Anywho-- Enjoy my spam from the day! (Mostly as Rufus, one as Mogbin)
Welcome again, and thanks very much for the kind words. So glad you had a good time! I was really happy that we didn't happen to get any of the missions out of your level range so that you were able to do everything. You're more than welcome in GAF as long as you'll have us :D
Kos Luftar said:
I wish the Guild treated me as well as they treat the new members.
"Bye guild!"
"Go to hell Hawk!"
(☞゚∀゚)☞

The bounties just aren't designed for so many people. The extra ones that we've done with 2 to 5 people show that they are actually unique fights, but it's hard to see it with 25+ people pounding away on a single target.

Trekksa and Michiele both caught me off-guard yesterday on my duo attempts with Zeroth. Not sure it would have been like that with the entire force of the guild there.

Thanks again to Zeroth for opening the story instance for us - for some reason, neither I nor my friends ever get the Challenge Mote when doing story instances, but it shows if Zeroth opens it. We've now managed to 100% all chapters except the newest one, finally caught up!

I find it find it funny that the fifth player (me) is missing in that picture, no one have manage to get me in a picture yet haha.

You're basically a figment of our imagination

"Why are you wearing that stupid Charr suit..?"

The bounties just aren't designed for so many people. The extra ones that we've done with 2 to 5 people show that they are actually unique fights, but it's hard to see it with 25+ people pounding away on a single target.

Trekksa and Michiele both caught me off-guard yesterday on my duo attempts with Zeroth. Not sure it would have been like that with the entire force of the guild there.

Hey, my pet made it into someone else's picture before I did.

nHPIweD.png

"Bye guild!"
"Go to hell Hawk!"
(☞゚∀゚)☞

Stunned-Omg-Hawk-Cant-Believe-The-Sight.gif

leng jai

I hate to say it, but I finally got around to the latest living story episode... and it's kind of a stinker so far. The story's good, execution of missions was bad. I don't think this has happened to me yet in Guild Wars 2, but I actually got pissed enough to log off right in the middle of one (
Caithe trying to sabotage the shields to knock Vorpp out
).

I just can't stand going through missions when I'm not my character. I don't want to use a bundle or a disguise and fumble through with skills that aren't my own. I rolled a Mesmer for a reason - using Mesmer skills appealed to me. This mission was actually worse - not only was I not me, but I was hardly using not-me's skills.
Stand there and wait in stealth and time up your sabotage fucking perfectly unless you want to get jumped by 6 golems. Then (possibly) die.
Frustratingly enough, I probably could have easily handled some of the "you fucked up, time to die" moments on my Mesmer, whose skills I'm familiar with.

Not everything can appeal to everyone, I guess. I like bosses with interesting mechanics. We've had really good ones so far. Perhaps I just kinda suck at
thief skills
or am just uncoordinated (likely) but this was probably the worst LS episode for me. Again, not the story, just the action. Haven't finished it yet, not looking forward to trying it again.

This is my favourite post of yours Mrs Retor.

I liked that LS story only for the fact that it actually gave me an option of completing it without a single kill; don't see too many of those in this game.

Proving that it's never over till it's over: unranked PvP, Skyhammer was picked, our team was 4 v 5 the enemy team.

One person on our team was like 'welp, time to afk', so I said 'just play for fun', and they grudgingly played.

We won the match by 100 points, and a fifth even joined in the final few minutes.

People give up WAY too easily in GW2's PvP, geeze :p

So what level should I be before I start doing stuff with you guys?

It depends on the stuff in question. Saturday night guild stuff can technically be done even as low as level 15, but because the events are random, a Mission or Bounty in a higher level area might get rolled, so obviously that'd be a bit tricker.

If you want to run dungeons, the lowest level dungeon is level 30.

Beyond that, technically you don't need to be any level other than the level of the content you're wanting to do.

And like Jira said: if you're looking for a party to join on you, anyone can because of downscaling. PvP has no level requirements (the levels and stats are normalized), and you could do World vs World at any level, but there you'd be at a slight disadvantage against level 80s.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Hm, okay, thanks. The quests I'm not doing now aren't too interesting so I won't ask anyone to join me, I'll try and level up so I can join you guys in the weekly events.

Aw, shucks.

I was venting when I wrote it but I still dislike certain mechanics of that mission.

Although it IS cool that it is theoretically possible to finish it with zero combat (if you aren't me).

It sucks even more if you try to do the Achievements...I hate playing as Caithe so much.

Hm, okay, thanks. The quests I'm not doing now aren't too interesting so I won't ask anyone to join me, I'll try and level up so I can join you guys in the weekly events.

If the area you're in isn't that interesting, try a different starting area. You can go to any of the racial starting areas via Lion's Arch. Which one are you doing now?

The Norn one. I'm only level 11 though, I'll give it a bit more time

Wayfarer can be a bit meh if you get tired of the snow and such. A good alternative would be to head to Metrica Province via Rata Sum, that one's quite interesting and jungly.

Also, don't worry about being in too low level or "boring" an area, there are plenty of people in GAF who have alts that wouldn't mind exploring the areas, or just to tag along to answer questions. I love going back to low-level areas, because even though I've played since launch there are still events and such I've never seen.

There are actually multiple reasons a max level would *want* to run with someone still starting up:

- To get items (harvesting, collections) from the lower level areas.
- You get as much karma for doing events in a level 15 zone as you do in an 80 (rewards scale to your level)
- Personal Story: in my case being a Charr, I've not seen much of the Norn story. You can play those missions cooperatively!
-And more.

Retro

Wayfarer can be a bit meh if you get tired of the snow and such. A good alternative would be to head to Metrica Province via Rata Sum, that one's quite interesting and jungly.

Also, don't worry about being in too low level or "boring" an area, there are plenty of people in GAF who have alts that wouldn't mind exploring the areas, or just to tag along to answer questions.

I may or may not have two fresh alts at level 20 I haven't started playing.

When? tonight? if so i'm up for it.

I'm not actually home at the moment and won't be for another couple of hours. So, I'd be up for doing it later but it might be late for some people. It'll be around midnight Eastern time.

I've never done this path so I don't know how difficult or long it is but from chat I've seen it's apparently one of the more difficult and longer dungeons.

I've never done this path so I don't know how difficult or long it is but from chat I've seen it's apparently one of the more difficult and longer dungeons.

First time I ever ran it, it took three hours. Not kidding. Granted, it had just come out, so nobody knew what they were doing - but it's still pretty hardcore.

First time I ever ran it, it took three hours. Not kidding. Granted, it had just come out, so nobody knew what they were doing - but it's still pretty hardcore.

Wow. Ok, then we should definitely schedule it for a day and time when people are free. Sunday is the only day of the week I'm not available so any other time works for me.

Woof, those were some excellent Smash matches Zeroth. You've given me an appreciation for playing the game 1v1, it's a very different experience. I'm going to have to brush up on my Bowser.

Had a blast for my first Guild meet (Rufus Lee). Made two great friends in Latharaes and Sir Ludo. I kinda made a half-serious reply earlier about how I never had a feel for a guild and whatnot. But really, not to get TOO serious, but I'm someone who's dealing with mental health and it's kinda scared off a lot of people and caused me to distance myself from the few who ever wanted to stay. I've played MANY games and attempted to be apart of just as many communities, but none of those places ever really felt "right". But I had a lot of fun tonight and felt a sense of camaraderie, and felt like I was ACTUALLY apart of something.

I just saw this now! I've got some serious warm fuzzies going on after reading this :) I'm so glad you had a good time, it was really nice hanging out with you and Ludo after dungeons/missions.

Zeroth

Woof, those were some excellent Smash matches Zeroth. You've given me an appreciation for playing the game 1v1, it's a very different experience. I'm going to have to brush up on my Bowser.

Always a pleasure Mik. Your Bowser is not too shabby either! I like 1v1 because you really get to feel your character, to what it can do and what it can't do, but 4 player matches are fun because there's so much happening too!

And thank you Retro and Mik for helping Ike and I finish Arah 3 today. Wish the path gave more money, but oh well.

A curious thing though: During our run, Ike and I unlocked the WP at the Oil Slime boss, but it is normally not unlocked on this path. So much that both its entrance and exit were sealed, so we have no idea how we unlocked it. Maybe Anet plans to make it accessible as a shortcut to Lupi?

So I did some experimenting in PvP today with various professions, just generally mucking about in Unranked. Only one out of the 11 games I played had leavers or noshows (the one I mentioned earlier on Skyhammer. The rest of the time it was full 5v5. Here's the score breakdown:

238 - 501 - Loss
280 - 500 - Loss
504 - 91 - Loss
285 - 556 - Win
436 - 600 - Loss
501 - 221 - Win
500 - 400 - Win
100 - 175 - Loss
500 - 399 - Loss
210 - 503 - Win
392 - 520 - Loss

So out of eleven, that's four wins, seven losses. At least four out of the eleven were "close" matches.

From my observation, the losses were never due to a lack of people on a team (since only one match had an imbalance there), but usually due to either a) bad team composition - something you have no control over if rolling solo, or b) inexperienced players coming up against more experienced players.

So in other words - pretty much Stock Standard Online Multiplayer. I've played enough CoD and TF2 online to know how this goes. At least when playing unranked: you sometimes get on a lucky roll where you're matched up in a team that works well together and has the right loadout, or you don't. In a way it's a pity you can't join a match in GW2 and *then* pick your profession, allowing for at least some counterpicking or covering the holes in the team composition.

Checking back, a lot of the losses due to team composition where due to being shuffled into a team that was all light/mediums, against a team predominantly heavy with a lot of nukers. I think the system is *trying* to balance out the teams somewhat, but it either isn't working well or people just keep messing with it with premades.

But this is all in Unranked anyway, so it doesn't *really* matter. I was using Unranked to experiment and mess around, and not worry too much about letting the team down - since I'm assuming that's what a lot of other people are in Unranked for. I was even told in Heart of the Mists mapchat that Ranked is where the "real players go" and "you have to work as a team to win". So that's working as intended, I guess.

Compared to a year ago, PvP seems way more populated now, though I think the Reward Tracks have more to do with that than anything else. I was surprised at how lucrative playing PvP can be, in terms rewards.

swnny

So I did some experimenting in PvP today with various professions, just generally mucking about in Unranked. Only one out of the 11 games I played had leavers or noshows (the one I mentioned earlier on Skyhammer. The rest of the time it was full 5v5. Here's the score breakdown:

238 - 501 - Loss
280 - 500 - Loss
504 - 91 - Loss
285 - 556 - Win
436 - 600 - Loss
501 - 221 - Win
500 - 400 - Win
100 - 175 - Loss
500 - 399 - Loss
210 - 503 - Win
392 - 520 - Loss

So out of eleven, that's four wins, seven losses. At least four out of the eleven were "close" matches.

From my observation, the losses were never due to a lack of people on a team (since only one match had an imbalance there), but usually due to either a) bad team composition - something you have no control over if rolling solo, or b) inexperienced players coming up against more experienced players.

So in other words - pretty much Stock Standard Online Multiplayer. I've played enough CoD and TF2 online to know how this goes. At least when playing unranked: you sometimes get on a lucky roll where you're matched up in a team that works well together and has the right loadout, or you don't. In a way it's a pity you can't join a match in GW2 and *then* pick your profession, allowing for at least some counterpicking or covering the holes in the team composition.

Checking back, a lot of the losses due to team composition where due to being shuffled into a team that was all light/mediums, against a team predominantly heavy with a lot of nukers. I think the system is *trying* to balance out the teams somewhat, but it either isn't working well or people just keep messing with it with premades.

But this is all in Unranked anyway, so it doesn't *really* matter. I was using Unranked to experiment and mess around, and not worry too much about letting the team down - since I'm assuming that's what a lot of other people are in Unranked for. I was even told in Heart of the Mists mapchat that Ranked is where the "real players go" and "you have to work as a team to win". So that's working as intended, I guess.

Compared to a year ago, PvP seems way more populated now, though I think the Reward Tracks have more to do with that than anything else. I was surprised at how lucrative playing PvP can be, in terms rewards.

Can I ask you to do this kind of analysis again after tomorrow's patch?
Right now the matchmaking system is disabled and everything is just random matching with the first players it finds. That's why most of your games are blowouts. That's why the queue pops up in a second. That's why we are seeing teams of 2-3 of the same profession. That's why your overall experience is "Stock Standard Online Multiplayer" like CS and TF2.
It shouldn't be like this. Ranked or unranked, it should match you with other players close to your skill level, with relatively good team compositions and almost equal chance of winning for both teams.
It should be patched with the 16th dec build, so I'd ask you to try again and then compare the results with these ones. I'm really interested in seeing how it wll turn out and will it even make a difference (kinda doubtful at this stage).

squadr0n

Random question. I own the Digital Deluxe version of the game atm. My local GameStop has the collector's Edition super cheap. If I buy it will I be able to apply all the in game items with my current account?

I only tried Aetherpath once with 4 random people - one person had done it once before and the rest of us had no idea what to expect. (This is before I knew basically anything about dungeons... good idea right)

We spent 40 minutes trying to figure out the stupid slime thing with two of our people raging. We were like "yay! the hard part is over!" and then we got Sparki & Slick and wiped 9000 times until someone finally said they had to go to bed and gave up. This was probably about 2 hours in total.

I think I'd be willing to try it again someday soon but I have some minor PTSD from that experience. After doing Mai for 90% of my fractal runs I think I've improved though.

swnny

Not following, where does this hype comes from? The few pictures "Point of no return"? Any more solid discussion about it, or it's all speculations for now?

Retro

Not following, where does this hype comes from? The few pictures "Point of no return"? Any more solid discussion about it, or it's all speculations for now?

The composer for the Living Story team (Maclaine Diemer) tweeted "I hate cryptic tweets, but I'm tired and have low will power. At the office super late on a Friday, but come Monday it will all be worth it." on Saturday and the lead writer (Bobby Stein) replied "Yes it will." Here's the link, but that's basically it.

That's all it takes for people to go off the rails and start hyping things up. When nothing happens, you can watch that pendulum swing back in the other direction as they go absolutely berserk with seething rage.

Spyware

Random question. I own the Digital Deluxe version of the game atm. My local GameStop has the collector's Edition super cheap. If I buy it will I be able to apply all the in game items with my current account?

Is there even any in-game item the CE that isn't in the Digital Deluxe?
Anyway, I don't think you can apply any GW2 key to an existing account.

swnny

The composer for the Living Story team (Maclaine Diemer) tweeted "I hate cryptic tweets, but I'm tired and have low will power. At the office super late on a Friday, but come Monday it will all be worth it." on Saturday and the lead writer (Bobby Stein) replied "Yes it will." Here's the link, but that's basically it.

That's all it takes for people to go off the rails and start hyping things up. When nothing happens, you can watch that pendulum swing back in the other direction as they go absolutely berserk with seething rage.

Ah lol, I do understand that some peiple love to dream big. But making out an expansion out of this tweet exactly... well that's kinda nuts. :D
It could mean almost everything. Like the dudes being super tired right before Christmas and going on a holiday (anet) vacantion next(this) week. :D

Lunar15

New computer means I want to try out new settings for GW2 graphics. What are y'all using these days? Downsampling? Is Sweet FX still the go to program? If so, what settings are people using?

hythloday

Ah lol, I do understand that some peiple love to dream big. But making out an expansion out of this tweet exactly... well that's kinda nuts. :D
It could mean almost everything. Like the dudes being super tired right before Christmas and going on a holiday (anet) vacantion next(this) week. :D

Totally nuts! It could mean that Monday is Free Burrito Day in the ANet cafeteria.

Totally nuts! It could mean that Monday is Free Burrito Day in the ANet cafeteria.

You guys are just dreaming too small.

Zeroth

I only tried Aetherpath once with 4 random people - one person had done it once before and the rest of us had no idea what to expect. (This is before I knew basically anything about dungeons... good idea right)

We spent 40 minutes trying to figure out the stupid slime thing with two of our people raging. We were like "yay! the hard part is over!" and then we got Sparki & Slick and wiped 9000 times until someone finally said they had to go to bed and gave up. This was probably about 2 hours in total.

I think I'd be willing to try it again someday soon but I have some minor PTSD from that experience. After doing Mai for 90% of my fractal runs I think I've improved though.

I chuckled, only because imagining the happiness of finishing the slime thing only to find out about Sparki.

I can picture the tears already.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom