• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT4| The only subscription you need is this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ten out of goddamn ten.

I loved the final trick bossfight, but it was too easy and simple. There was like, mechanically, nothing new to it, or complex, or even vague. This is the kind of fisher-price "stay out of the fire" "use the holy flame as a holy flame" crap I left behind in WoW, dangit. C'mon ArenaNet, we're not all idiots. Give us a damn challenge. Destiny has more complex mechanics. But still, a satisfying fight to complete.

Nice to see how it all came together over the year.

So I missed the first LS season, and now the second, since I only just started playing. Where would I go to catch up? Just read the wiki, or are there any good video recaps? And am I missing a lot by having not played them?

Season 2 is all in the game, you can play it. You've not missed anything. All the episodes are there to be unlocked at any time.

Season 1 you can read about here: http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Living_World_season_1

Yes, you missed a lot in Season 1. And yes, you've got a lot to look forward to in Season 2, when you get around to it (start after you finish your Personal Story).

MattyG

Banned
Season 2 is all in the game, you can play it. You've not missed anything. All the episodes are there to be unlocked at any time.

Season 1 you can read about here: http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Living_World_season_1

Yes, you missed a lot in Season 1. And yes, you've got a lot to look forward to in Season 2, when you get around to it (start after you finish your Personal Story).
Really? How do I unlock them? And how long do I have to get to them?

That sucks. Season 1 sounded interesting from what little I've heard.

Really? How do I unlock them? And how long do I have to get to them?

That sucks. Season 1 sounded interesting from what little I've heard.

In the Story Journal (under your Hero Panel 'H'), there is a Season 2 tab, with all the episodes.

They are there forever.

You pay 200 Gems to unlock each episode (you won't need to pay to unlock any episodes that you logged in for when they launched). You can play the episodes with someone who has them unlocked for just the story, if you don't want to pay to unlock them.

Basically, when an episode launched, if you logged in at any time in its two-week window, you would unlock it for free. You only have to pay for ones you weren't there to unlock. So basically, Point of No Return, that just launched, you got for free.

The way I see it, after you finish your Personal Story you can decide if spending the 200 gems to unlock the first episode of Season 2 is worth it. If you don't unlock it, and play it with someone who did, all you miss out on is the rewards. It's up to you if you think ArenaNet deserves your money. That's why I recommend finishing your Personal Story first - that, and Season 2 is all level 80 content.

Spyware

The first part was kinda dull actually. Other than yet again regretting my choice to run almost all of these content updates on one of my squishiest 80's (condi spec Thief d/d p/p if anyone cares). Apparently I like seeing her nekkid since I'm pretty much guaranteed to lose all my armor at some point. That said, this first section wasn't it although it did it's damndest. The plot was "OK" but I had a hard time caring about it. If I heard correctly, it's a callback to something in GW1. Since I barely played GW1 that doesn't mean much to me.

The second part was kinda fun.
Battle for Claw Island
done right. Not much to say here really. Enjoyed the fight. The story part was OK and tied up a minor loose end
DE all collectively golng Eir had a kid?!?

Third part started OK, but then we hit my bugaboo with most of these LS's. The trick enounter that goes on way too damn long. I also couldn't figure out one part to the trick and had to ask Lev (btw, does anyone else still wanna call him Seda?). But of course I waited until Cynthia Frost was mostly nekkid. Even knowing what to do, the end boss completed the procedure. I swear her tailor must hate her. Other than the
trailer
at the end, I was unhappy with the, well, end. The spoiler thingy was nice and all and the end cut scene was fine as it went, but I didn't have a real feeling of accomplishment.

Haha, wow. I can mostly just say "this, but the complete opposite" :D
As a GW1 vet I loved the throwback in the first part. The
actual fights were pretty meh as usual but the idea is wonderful

The second part almost made me quit. I was bored, I was annoyed, I hated every second of it. I dread having to redo it.

The third was much more fun. I liked it. Went sooo smooth.
Then the end came and I went "Uhu... where is the thing everyone is soooo amazed by? Oh, that was it? Okay..."
Cutscene:
Loved the art, didn't really get amazed by the content

MattyG

Banned
http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Story_Journal

You can unlock the current episode for free, just by logging-in(within 2 weeks). Otherwise, you're going to have to shell-out 200 gems per episode.

In the Story Journal (under your Hero Panel 'H'), there is a Season 2 tab, with all the episodes.

They are there forever.

You pay 200 Gems to unlock each episode (you won't need to pay to unlock any episodes that you logged in for when they launched). You can play the episodes with someone who has them unlocked for just the story, if you don't want to pay to unlock them.

Basically, when an episode launched, if you logged in at any time in its two-week window, you would unlock it for free. You only have to pay for ones you weren't there to unlock. So basically, Point of No Return, that just launched, you got for free.

The way I see it, after you finish your Personal Story you can decide if spending the 200 gems to unlock the first episode of Season 2 is worth it. If you don't unlock it, and play it with someone who did, all you miss out on is the rewards. It's up to you if you think ArenaNet deserves your money. That's why I recommend finishing your Personal Story first - that, and Season 2 is all level 80 content.
Awesome, thanks! Can't wait to catch up!

I just went read an old article from June about the Story Journal and season 2 content being permanent, and it said that season 1 may get added at some point. Fingers crossed!

Emitan

Can I get the achievements/rewards from living story if I haven't completed that episode on the character I'm playing? I used my thief for every episode except the finale, but I want to get the achievements on my guardian.

Jira

It's really interesting how this whole season finale mimics the very same reactions and feelings you get from a TV show finale. I'm completley unable to talk to anyone I know who played GW2 before the LS even started (or barely during S1) since they'll have absolutely no clue what the hell I'm talking about. I do wonder how ANet plans to handle that in HoT for returning players.

Can I get the achievements/rewards from living story if I haven't completed that episode on the character I'm playing? I used my thief for every episode except the finale, but I want to get the achievements on my guardian.

I believe so. But bear in mind the episode steps are character specific.

Lunar15

Awesome ending cutscene. Totally awesome. In many ways, we predicted this outcome, but I'm not sure I entirely expected them to go through with it.

Most people have hit on all the big stuff, but there was one little thing:
Canach was in the group lineup at the very end, which proves my theory that he'd be the Sylvari member of your crew.

Wanderer5

Well the new world boss isn't bad, even if it feel kind of like a lamer version of the really good Marionette fight, but it still has some nice mechanics.

spiritfox

You need to have completed that particular episode on that character to do the achs. So if your guard has done episode 8 only, he can do the achs for episode 8 and nothing else, until he does the other episodes once.

Seeing all these reactions makes me wish I took the day of to play.

onaboatgsjus.jpg

swnny

Talking of sylvari, (major spoiler and speculation!!!!)
does the ending cutscenes happen for real, or are they like visions/possible scenarios yet to happen? I mean, does the Pact attack failed because of rampaging silvari, rendering Trahearne, Logan, Zojja, Eir and Garm dead or missing in action?

pyros

I just finished PS and if I do the Season 2, do I get access to the merchant who sells toxic sharpening stone recipe?

About the last cutscene at the end of S2;

So Maguuma Wastes is what is what the expansion is? There is no way that, we're going to Cantha or Elona in this expansion then?

Jira

does the ending cutscenes happen for real, or are they like visions/possible scenarios yet to happen? I mean, does the Pact attack failed because of rampaging silvari, rendering Trahearne, Logan, Zojja, Eir and Garm dead or missing in action?

Oh it's very real, that is what happened (we just wont see the outcome until HoT releases).

About the last cutscene at the end of S2;

So Maguuma Wastes is what is what the expansion is? There is no way that, we're going to Cantha or Elona in this expansion then?

My guess is they'll be opening up the entirety of Maguuma and the bit of tarnished coast there. I think that HoT will see us kill Mordremoth, then Season 3 will kick off.

Mursaat spotted in the final cutscene, at around 27 seconds?
People are debating it's either Mursaat or a Seer.

Morokh

Well , even if it is real, they are already setting themselves up for quite a predictable and lame outcome.
Rescue mission -> they are all fine in the end, maybe one dies to try and 'surprise' the playerbase. yay !

It's a bit of the same with all the fights, and it was particularly obvious with this one, if you don't die, you may not notice it, but if you do, you quicly realize that you're just here to tick boxes to activate the next event.
This 'no matter how bad you screw-up you WILL succeed' type of design really goes against everything they are trying to build with the story.

Now thinking about that last episode and the cinematic, I don't see anything that particularly points-out to an 'expansion' per say, from the announcement to the end cinematic, all I see is "Season 3"

Jira

Well , even if it is real, they are already setting themselves up for quite a predictable and lame outcome.
Rescue mission -> they are all fine in the end, maybe one dies to try and 'surprise' the playerbase. yay !

It's a bit of the same with all the fights, and it was particularly obvious with this one, if you don't die, you may not notice it, but if you do, you quicly realize that you're just here to tick boxes to activate the next event.
This 'no matter how bad you screw-up you WILL succeed' type of design really goes against everything they are trying to build with the story.

Now thinking about that last episode and the cinematic, I don't see anything that particularly points-out to an 'expansion' per say, from the announcement to the end cinematic, all I see is "Season 3"

I'll say it again...for probably the 6th time...the president of the company and lead director don't get on the main stage of PAX for 90 min to announce Season 3. Season 1 and 2 were not announced this way. The last time ANet did ANYTHING like this was before GW2 came out and they showed off the game for the first time at Gamescom 2010. This is nothing short of a full blown product announcement. It's now only a question of how will it be delivered.

markot

Banned
The incompetence the pact in the way the story was told kind of kills the impact of everything.

"Durrr, these vines seem to be heading towards our camp"

I mean, giving the players something like that would have been interesting, if it was more then a slide show, with no consequences except the obvious. No attempt to stop them in the story, nothing.

Its like the Americans flying in a big plane with 'top secret super weapon' written on it in front of Japan in wide view for all to see for a month before dropping the bomb.

Not to mention... the plan never made much sense at all...

monty-python-running-o.gif

markot

Banned
So their plan was to just shoot the ground? >.>;

Pact, more like incompactent... or somesuch. I mean, they didnt rush into Orr and just start blasting, they planned, and moved slowly, did research, probed their strength.... etc... its like they forgot... tactics.

Its kind of lame, I am hyped for the expansion, but the setup for it has been dissapointing, almost completely. The only good thing was that they did do the
sylvari are evillllllllll
stuff, but people were pretty much on to that since day 1.

So their plan was to just shoot the ground? >.>;

Pact, more like incompactent... or somesuch. I mean, they didnt rush into Orr and just start blasting, they planned, and moved slowly, did research, probed their strength.... etc... its like they forgot... tactics.

Mordremoth wasn't supposed to be completely awake yet, or something like that. I don't think they expected such an intense response.

The Sylvari aboard the airships turning against the Pact didn't help. This was happening at the same time you were speaking with Caithe I assume, so no one had any warning.

markot

Banned
If Anet give Sylvari players the chance to play for the opposing side I would give them a billion thumbs up. But I dont see them doing it >.< Not that I would want to play salad, but to have that option, and to have player characters leading the mordrem against the good guys would be pretty cool, kind of like what wow should have been but never was

Loved the episode. Trailer was awesome.

According to "me" the Sylvari story was developed right after GW1:EotN was released.

I played all missions solo which took a bit longer but I didn't think they were difficult.

End trailer made all my complaints about story going nowhere, moot. I can't wait to hear more about GW2:HoT and just hope the wait for its release is not too far away.

Wish I got a chance to beat Vinewrath but after we beat first champ non of the lanes could beat the mangler.

It is sad how much trouble I am having updating my launcher, it is even worse than at release.

If your update is failing then it's not Anet probably your ISP, so far it's know that Verizon and BT throttles updates, you have to change your DNS, i have Verizon and my updates would stop completely and refuse to update..

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
FUCK

ROCK

DODGER

it's the only one I still haven't gotten, and the one that gets me is the cave-in at the second half.

Anyway,
Treehorn seems like he still kept himself.

Moondrop

Banned
I can't believe y'all just buried my updated Moot visual effects news. This is bigger than anything in the episode or that will be released in your "expansion."

spiritfox

omg so hype

whats a moot

edit: I kinda wish Anet didn't totally move away from non-instanced events for the LS. Some parts of the story would have been so much better with more people around.

Anno

Also, for anyone who hasn't been back to LA there's some interesting new dialogue that involves everyone's favorite robot.

If your update is failing then it's not Anet probably your ISP, so far it's know that Verizon and BT throttles updates, you have to change your DNS, i have Verizon and my updates would stop completely and refuse to update..
What you said could be true except you are wrong, but it is not your fault for not knowing it was a known issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom