• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT4| The only subscription you need is this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
that finale kind of owned, tbh.
it did a little, didn't it

I should also mention, I still really don't have a goddamn clue what they're planning to announce on the 24th or what exactly the scope/plan for the trademark is, which is kind of impressive and exciting. no matter what, some group is gonna be disappointed with whatever it is but I feel like the chances of something novel are still pretty good. :)

Cathcart

Probably won't get to the story until this weekend because I just finished episode 1. Uh, someone tell me when this thread goes back to screenshots of everyone finishing legendaries I'll never get.

Also I just realized that map completion was a waste because I don't even get to see my own star, so sad.

spiritfox

Probably won't get to the story until this weekend because I just finished episode 1. Uh, someone tell me when this thread goes back to screenshots of everyone finishing legendaries I'll never get.

Also I just realized that map completion was a waste because I don't even get to see my own star, so sad.

You get some items needed for your legendary =3

And a title... which you can't see too.

Taffer

I was thinking we'd off Mordy in the future and then there'd be a chance for some old-fashioned racism/mistrust of Sylvari to show up later on. 'You can't have the Pact led by a dragon minion' sort of thing. Do the Pact & Vigil stick with their all the races versus the dragons policy or bow to Joe Tyrian's dislike of the enemy within and start setting up internment camps? I guess this just means some of that'll start showing up even earlier than I was expecting.
Good, there's not enough rivalry between the five races. Five different species even!
And now we know why Caithe has those crappy verdant dagger skins these days instead of the purpley ones she's been using in the flashbacks.

Bring on Mordremoth!

postcard015gkhw.jpg

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I was thinking we'd off Mordy in the future and then there'd be a chance for some old-fashioned racism/mistrust of Sylvari to show up later on. 'You can't have the Pact led by a dragon minion' sort of thing. Do the Pact & Vigil stick with their all the races versus the dragons policy or bow to Joe Tyrian's dislike of the enemy within and start setting up internment camps? I guess this just means some of that'll start showing up even earlier than I was expecting.
Good, there's not enough rivalry between the five races. Five different species even!
And now we know why Caithe has those crappy verdant dagger skins these days instead of the purpley ones she's been using in the flashbacks.
Can I get an opt-in to open PvP on my Sylvari characters?

Actually, my desperate hope is for Trahearne to become a nice corrupted villain for the murdering. That'd be worth a couple bucks.

edit: You two look like you own your own airship :D

Can I get an opt-in to open PvP on my Sylvari characters?

Actually, my desperate hope is for Trahearne to become a nice corrupted villain for the murdering. That'd be worth a couple bucks.

edit: You two look like you own your own airship :D

It would really make sense for guild airships in a Maguuma expansion!!

hythloday

Bring on Mordremoth!

postcard015gkhw.jpg

You two are just the cutest of anything.

Here is my guess at the announcement on the 24th, having started but not finished the LS episode: it will be ArenaNet's version of an expansion. Not a traditional box. I am hoping for a large dump of content/areas on the map and maybe a 'campaign' of story missions like the one for Zhaitan. Maybe overhauls to weapon systems. New traits and such. That would be sweeeeet.

Zeroth

Can we really trust
Sylvari
to join the GAF guild?

I could see the players and the world learning how to
cure corrupted dragon minions, back to normal (Pale Tree Sylvari Normal)
which would scare the future dragons and maybe force them to work together.

Trogdor1123

DELETED This sentence!

Just beat the items last night, had a good time. Cant wait and hope that its a real expansion with new dungeons, , skills, areas, and a new level cap!

Cathcart

Yeah screw level cap increases. Give legendary armor that's made out of like lava and stuff. Or confetti. Or bacon! Appetizer of the month: bacon-wrapped Asura.

Jira

I saw someone bring up the point that Trehearne and Canach aren't corrupted because they did their Wyld Hunt. This person here is also highly speculated as the mysterious figure in the cutscene. Take a look at this link here:

http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Lazarus_the_Dire

Lazarus the Dire was one of the Mursaat present at the Rise of the White Mantle. He assisted Saul D'Alessio in the defense of Kryta against the Charr invasion.

Lazarus is one of the few survivors of the Flameseeker Prophecies. When the Titans emerged from the Foundry of Failed Creations, he split himself up into several aspects and imbued them within members of the broken White Mantle, claiming them to be a blessing. The plan was to wait until the threat of Abaddon and the Titans had passed, and then free each aspect one by one until Lazarus had regained his full power. Unfortunately, he found that freeing each aspect would kill its host.

Lazarus cared little for this collateral damage, but the host of the final aspect, former Justiciar Naveed, cared quite a bit. Having long since realised that Lazarus' gift was no blessing, he fled to the Tarnished Coast, where he sought the help of the talented asura Glayvin. Together, they were able to severely damage the aspect, but not remove it. When Lazarus eventually came to claim the corrupted aspect, he felt his power turn on him. He fled to go into recovery, but not before vowing vengeance against "countless generations".
Since the Titans' release, at least eight Mursaat are known to have survived, and seven of them have continued to lead the White Mantle until the end of the Krytan civil war. Although these seven are known to have been killed off, Lazarus' fate, and if anymore Mursaat survived, is still unknown.

Retro

a new level cap!

stephen-colbert-takeskujuu.gif

Doing so would completely invalidate all existing gear across all existing characters for a meaningless statistical increase that most players have enough Tomes of Knowledge to instantly invalidate for at least their mains if not their alts. It would be a barrier to returning players because currently their exotic-geared 80s are ready to go for whatever content the game has (excluding, of course, high-level fractals).

A level increase would be the most pointless, frustratingly unnecessary thing they could bring to the game.

Edit: Sorry to all dog-pile on you about it, I didn't see the other responses when I made mine. Just to be clear, nobody is attacking you or anything, it's just a conversation this thread has had before. A level cap increase works for something like WoW because you get your gear invalidated all the time so new levels means new skills and bigger numbers, both good things. Here, the skills are tied to weapons and the numbers are significantly less important than player skill.

Levyne

Banned
And ascended 80 gear would make no sense, unless it gets bumped or has a trade mechanic up to 90 or 100 which is just doubling down on pointless.

Jira

A level cap increase just might be the most pointless thing they could do for an expansion.

Oh absolutely. Say they increase it 10 levels...you're back at the cap in minutes to hours and what difference did it make? None at all. Levels were never meant to be in the game in the first place, so increasing the level cap would be largely for the people who left the game cause they hit 80 and said there was nothing to do. Those people, no matter what ANet does, even if they increased the level cap to 160, they'd hit that and then quit again because the game isn't for them. There are sadly a fair amount of people who can't grasp the concept that the game has no linear path to follow at the level cap. Those players don't do well with the idea of doing whatever you want and have to have their hands held for them. Those people have no interest in the LS and everything that goes with it. They saw the initial F&F release and left the game. Now, when they come back it will be like reading book 3 without having even started book 1 in a series. ANet absolutely should NOT cater to those people at all.

Oh absolutely. Say they increase it 10 levels...you're back at the cap in minutes to hours and what difference did it make? None at all. Levels were never meant to be in the game in the first place, so increasing the level cap would be largely for the people who left the game cause they hit 80 and said there was nothing to do. Those people, no matter what ANet does, even if they increased the level cap to 160, they'd hit that and then quit again because the game isn't for them. There are sadly a fair amount of people who can't grasp the concept that the game has no linear path to follow at the level cap. Those players don't do well with the idea of doing whatever you want and have to have their hands held for them. Those people have no interest in the LS and everything that goes with it. They saw the initial F&F release and left the game. Now, when they come back it will be like reading book 3 without having even started book 1 in a series. ANet absolutely should NOT cater to those people at all.

I feel good about Ascended. It feels like the right amount of effort, for a small neglible gain. We just need Ascended Mats to be useful. I hate how I have 15 stacks of 250 bloodstone, and they bother me. All these should be really useful to me. It drags the loot-experience down, when they are so limited in use.

Arcteryx

Yea I really hope they don't add a new level cap, as it would kill off my interest in alts, not to mention my Ascended gear(unless it auto-scaled) and Legendaries.

I HIGHLY doubt they will do it, but I will be super disappoint if they do.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
All out Sylvari kill-on-sight world PVP would be glorious.
Glad I deleted my filthy Sylvari Necro. Traitor!
Please spoiler tag anything regarding the circumstances of the current release until Tuesday, 1/20. Thanks so much!

I thought Trahearne's wyld hunt was to dezombify Orr...
That's correct.

Every action we see from Trahearne in the Living Story is "post-" the attainment of his Wyld Hunt. Sort of aimlessly still questing for good with the rest of the Pact. Ripe for dragon influence, from my perspective. I really, really hope he is not stated to be uncorruptible or "too pure" for Mordremoth.

I want Canach to become a legit anti-hero, and for us to have a boss battle against Evil Trahearne.

Pretty badly.

edit: Just to clarify regarding Wyld Hunts,

there's nothing about them in general that has anything to do with
preventing corruption by the Elder Dragons.
Trahearne's Wyld Hunt was to purify Orr (there's a specific PS quest where he expresses relief at having finally fulfilled his Wyld Hunt, while there are still numerous acts to be completed prior to Zhaitan's destruction). All player Sylvari have the Wyld Hunt to actually kill Zhaitan, along with some minor one that can differ by character, I think you pick outright during character creation.

So far, I don't think we know of anything that can
specifically prevent corruption of Sylvari from Mordremoth- absolutely no one in the Pact, no one knew about it or thought to consider planning on it. The technology Taimi created to free the waypoint network might be valuable, but based on what we know so far I don't think anything but physical distance- my impression of why Canach was clearly not corrupted- can keep Sylvari from being "activated." There may be another factor that enables some Sylvari to resist while others cannot, but I'm positive we don't yet know what that is, if it is the case.

A FANTASTIC turn, IMO, would be that the Soundless are uncorruptible, as it could be the Pale Tree (Modremoth's Champion/Lieutenant) that unknowingly influences Sylvari on behalf of the Dragon, and thus those who have closed themselves to that influence are safe (rather than twisting it like the Nightmare Court, who actively wish to "corrupt the Pale Tree"). Canach could be revealed to be Soundless; doesn't "I gave her up long ago" sound like something he'd say?

Mxrz

It was, and Canach too as he's not corrupted either. There's something there preventing both of them form being corrupted.

How do we know they aren't corrupt?
One of the silhouettes looked familiar to me.

Sylvari and plot stuff is neat, but I'm more hyped about the location, and all the potential new stuff. Factions, Nightfall, and Eye of the North each gave us dozens of new weapon and armor skins. Not just flashy end-game style stuff, but basic ones as well. That is something GW2 could use. But it might be too difficult given three different race sizes.

Jira

How do we know they aren't corrupt?
One of the silhouettes looked familiar to me.

Sylvari and plot stuff is neat, but I'm more hyped about the location, and all the potential new stuff. Factions, Nightfall, and Eye of the North each gave us dozens of new weapon and armor skins. Not just flashy end-game style stuff, but basic ones as well. That is something GW2 could use. But it might be too difficult given three different race sizes.
I get the impression that when Sylvari become corrupted, their eyes turn red and kinda go all zombie mode. Canach didn't have red eyes and he was able to talk. As for Traherne, it's harder to say.

So if
Mordremoth sleeping indirectly created Sylvari, could other dragons somehow created the other species in the past?

Sylvari were probably all suppose to wake with Mordremoth but Roman moving the seed caused some to wake earlier and allowed them to be good.

Malyck is still an anomaly but same thing could have happend to his tree.

Does Playing story on alt give another carapace helmet box?

I mean, I kind of thought the implication was that
Eir, Zojja, Logan, and Trahearne all died.
That's kind of hard to believe because you would think something like that we would see ingame not an expansion announcement trailer.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I mean, I kind of thought the implication was that
Eir, Zojja, Logan, and Trahearne all died.
I'm hoping for
Eir and Logan actually dead, Zojja survives, Trahearne presumed dead but secretly shtolen by Mordy and made into a EEEVIL WEEEEAPON
That's kind of hard to believe because you would think something like that we would see ingame not an expansion announcement trailer.
Eh, that's a little like saying that something in the trailer for a movie "happened" in the trailer, isn't it? What's to say the story doesn't pick up before or in the middle of the events being depicted in the trailer?

Just as one example we still
have absolutely no idea what happened to Rytlock, no "returned from the Mists" scene to speak of, and yet there he was just up to speed on current events and slaughtering Husks. Did you think the trailer was just saying "he's back now, accept it!"
I don't think we're just supposed to let that go.

Mxrz

Did not care for one bit:
Finisher on the dragon champion. Fight was over. It was hurt and all that. Didn't sit right with me, but oh well. It was the same with Scarlet. Killing helpless enemies just to do the finisher mechanic in pve is all sorts of awkward. I more or less have to do a disconnect with the plot and go "Well, just a game."

What's changed since October? Haven't played since then and feel getting into it again.

• New currency exchange UI.
  • Mad King ended.
  • Season 2 Episode 5: Echos of the Past: New zone - The Silverwastes, new story missions, new Carapace and Luminescent armour.
  • Season 2 Episode 6: Tangled Paths: New story missions, new Silverwastes areas unlocked.
  • Season 2 Episode 7: Seeds of Truth: New story missions, new areas in Silverwastes.
  • PvP systems overhaul.
  • Winsterday started and ended. New material converter item was added, don't think you can get it anymore.
  • Season 2 Episode 8: Point of No Return: New story missions, new overworld boss. Season finale.

Just the Living World episodes alone are easily 8+ hours of content or more, depending on if you do the optional challenge mode stuff.

- New currency exchange UI.
- Mad King ended.
- Tangled Paths: new story missions, new Silverwastes areas unlocked.
- Echos of the Past: new story missions, new Carapace and Luminescent armour.
- Winsterday started and ended. New material converter item was added, don't think you can get it anymore.
- Seeds of Truth: new story missions, new areas in Silverwastes.
- PvP systems overhaul.
- Point of No Return: new story missions, new overworld boss.
Thanks, seems it's somewhat like I remember. Time for me to jump into my asura enginner flamethrower madness again.

Ashodin

Nah Hawkian there's no way Trahearne is affected by anything. Most likely Caladbolg is a part of the Pale Tree and protects him as such.

Have to say, I'm not totally enamored with the Vinewrath event, in that I've yet to see it. When I go to Silverwastes, I get dumped in an empty map where nobody is bothering to do anything, other than watching the LFG listings for a busy map to go to. Even "SW 50%" listings are "World Full" the instant I manage to find one to join.

So not only is the Silverwastes a barren wasteland for the most part, unless you luck into a map doing Vinewrath, you never get to complete it because there's nobody there to do it.

I think I'm going to hold off on playing for a while until the rush settles, and people start playing the game again instead of blindly chasing achivements and carrot armor.

Fifth (and for now probably final) alt at level 80. She's not exactly the same person today as she was yesterday, haha.

Jensina Swiftstride the Norn Ranger

Ran out of Badges of Honor for weapons and Guild Commendations for a backpiece, so she doesn't have all of her exotic gear yet. She's also basically missing every useful pet. Goals for the future!

15297065494104768512_hbj61.png

Pyrok Bladeburn the Charr Guardian

Glycia Silverpaw the Charr Engineer

Pantarwen the Sylvari Elementalist

Kwearri the Asura Mesmer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom