• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT4| The only subscription you need is this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have to say, I'm not totally enamored with the Vinewrath event, in that I've yet to see it. When I go to Silverwastes, I get dumped in an empty map where nobody is bothering to do anything, other than watching the LFG listings for a busy map to go to. Even "SW 50%" listings are "World Full" the instant I manage to find one to join.

So not only is the Silverwastes a barren wasteland for the most part, unless you luck into a map doing Vinewrath, you never get to complete it because there's nobody there to do it.

I think I'm going to hold off on playing for a while until the rush settles, and people start playing the game again instead of blindly chasing achivements and carrot armor.
For those maps to even reach 50% means people are running defend events on all of them.

I think the system works now. It's not really that much different from pre-patch.

For those maps to even reach 50% means people are running defend events on all of them.

Yes. And I'd like to join on those maps, if they weren't full. Y'know.

From my experience, the Silverwastes is dramatically different compared to pre-patch. It now has the Sparkfly-at-Taco-Time effect, but all the damn time.

Poor Necro and Thief. Still so much work left to do.

15297065494104768512_zyjm6.jpg

Very nice lineup of characters, Ike!

I deleted all of mine, lol.

Nope, they're all gone. I'm such a wishy-washy person.

This makes me extremely sad. Whatever your reasons, I hope it works out for the best. I'll miss Dosuchin. :(

Spyware

I really like those characters, and I love that there's more character screenshot posts atm! My fav thing with the game is to see all the different characters people make and how they choose to dress them and such, and make/dress characters myself ofc.

Canthan style outfit datamined in the latest patch.

Cantha confirmed.

It looks like a Ming Dynasty era ceremonial armour on Asura, but it looks more like an elonian dress trying to dress up as a Mursatt for Halloween for the humans.

Are you sure it's canthan?

I really want to go to Cantha. I want to go to Elona too, but I'm beginning to think they are going to open the maguuma waste, the crystal desert and perhaps blood legion homelands. Then you have the eastern south and north and western north corners of the map. it will be less intrusive when non-expansion owners, want to access these areas.

It will give them 3 different large geographical locations for variety. I suspect they will try and allow some multi choice, in 3 places for the story, scenery and so on. Maybe.

But I can't see Cantha. In S2 we saw 1000% more references to Elona than to Cantha. It's not Cantha. Which means it will take much longer to get to there. I'm so impatient! Ahh!

Ludovico

Yep, rolling a Sylvari Warrior now. the last episode really got me wanting a L80 Sylvari.

I'm working on a Sylvari thief right now, one that I made after the trait system changed.
I HATE the way the traits have to be unlocked now. I just want to tool around with my character, not be forced into meaningless quests.

At least I already had several alts already made, but if I ever make a warrior or ele I'll have to go through the same trash again :/

MattyG

Banned
Just finished downloading the Mac Beta, so I can keep playing in between classes, on the couch, or even when I don't have the motivation to get out of bed and sit at my desk.

Also, I know we have almost zero info on Heart of Thorns, but when are we expecting the release window to be? Sometime soon? Or later in the year?

Retro

Just finished downloading the Mac Beta, so I can keep playing in between classes, on the couch, or even when I don't have the motivation to get out of bed and sit at my desk.

Also, I know we have almost zero info on Heart of Thorns, but when are we expecting the release window to be? Sometime soon? Or later in the year?

No idea on a release date, but the KDB Daewoo (a Korean investment firm) forecast for 2015 puts a big spike in GW2 profits in Q3, so right around the 3rd anniversary. But they've been wrong before, so we'll all find out in 9 days.

I advise you to bootcamp. I know it's not what you want to hear, but I downloaded it for my Mac a few weeks ago, and I was afraid the laptop was gonna fry. Cider emulation, is like running the game twice in overlay, while "converting" the Windows version to a Mac friendly language. It's insanely taxing.

MattyG

Banned
I advise you to bootcamp. I know it's not what you want to hear, but I downloaded it for my Mac a few weeks ago, and I was afraid the laptop was gonna fry. Cider emulation, is like running the game twice in overlay, while "converting" the Windows version to a Mac friendly language. It's insanely taxing.
Oh, really? I only tested it for about 5 minutes, so I couldn't tell for sure how hard I was pushing the laptop. It definitely got hotter, but I didn't think it was too bad. I'll look into bootcamp though, I'd imagine it'll get way worse during longer sessions. I'd imagine that would make it run better too. Thanks for the tip!

Oh, really? I only tested it for about 5 minutes, so I couldn't tell for sure how hard I was pushing the laptop. It definitely got hotter, but I didn't think it was too bad. I'll look into bootcamp though, I'd imagine it'll get way worse during longer sessions. I'd imagine that would make it run better too. Thanks for the tip!

Yes mate,

there is nothing else Anet could have done. It's a matter of Windows being DirectX and OSX being OpenGL. OpenGL just can't compare, so emulation seeks to convert it. But it's never a solid idea. You really need to re-code the entire game and that can't happen.

It works splendid in Bootcamp! I think you will be impressed :)

Spyware

Since GAF works in images, I'd like to introduce my necromancer and seventh 80, Transubstantialus.
Yessss, more character pics to the people. :D

Here's the lady I've been talking about in the chat today, that I made instead of this guy.

tumblr_ni7j66CCI11qg7wmro2_1280.png

I think I'm gonna use Carapace shoulders and gloves when I get them, but not really sure yet.

Retro

Posted in the OT volunteer thread about making a thread for the livestream on the 24th, in case anyone was wondering who was going to make it.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I'm working on a Sylvari thief right now, one that I made after the trait system changed.
I HATE the way the traits have to be unlocked now. I just want to tool around with my character, not be forced into meaningless quests.

At least I already had several alts already made, but if I ever make a warrior or ele I'll have to go through the same trash again :/
I'm sure I am overlooking something but, can't you just buy the ones you want if you dislike unlocking them?

Thorgal

I'm sure I am overlooking something but, can't you just buy the ones you want if you dislike unlocking them?

you can , but if you like to experiment with different build / traits you will likely want all of them and in that case it could get pricey .

Taffer

I think the bundle you get in the current LS
(the Divine Fire torch)
may be the only forced bundle I've liked. A short burn and a decently long fear, I'm traited for that!

Wanderer5

Carapace armor looks better than I expected, butterflies aside. My Norn Warrior now looks pretty swag. The only annoying thing is the leg textures seem poorly done.

Also, there was a special disco light party in SBI citadel for some reason. I hope it's not my graphics card.

Yeah I get that disco light thing at times too.

And the Silverwaste armor sets are pretty nice. My charrdian is now complete with the carapace armor outside of the helm.

2015-01-13_00020_zpsd9951365.jpg

I aim to replace that with the luminescent through.:p

Ludovico

you can , but if you like to experiment with different build / traits you will likely want all of them and in that case it could get pricey .

This is it - I don't want to build whatever's the "best" right now, I'd like the freedom to experiment and see how I like playing, especially while leveling and switching weapons as I come across them naturally.

I appreciate the fact that I'm allowed to buy them, but I'm a lot more conservative with certain resources, especially ones I know are important much later on.

This is it - I don't want to build whatever's the "best" right now, I'd like the freedom to experiment and see how I like playing, especially while leveling and switching weapons as I come across them naturally.

I appreciate the fact that I'm allowed to buy them, but I'm a lot more conservative with certain resources, especially ones I know are important much later on.

I don't agree with the changes they made to traits, locking some behind events/actions unless you buy them outright for (too high) a price. But I understand why they did it. Players wanted vertical progression, they wanted things to do. Everything being unlocked by 15, resulted in a lot of "well that's lame now I have nothing to look forward to until 80", and stuff like that. So they tried to mimic the GW1 system of "capturing" traits from specific events, but it lacks the finesse it had in GW1, where there was a kind of logical reason Monster X would have Skill Y, and why you'd want it. I hope that the April Feature Pack this year has a trait system overhaul again.

Meanwhile, in FFXIV, it's taken me two weeks to unlock my 7th skill! Woo! I can now throw Rock II, whereas for the last ten hours, I've only been able to throw Rock I. But hey, at least Rock II does 20 points more damage than Rock I. >..>

Moondrop

Banned
But hey, at least Rock II does 20 points more damage than Rock I. >..>
And has a more impressive animation of course.

Today Spirit Watch got 5 votes and the opponent turned out to be a "premade" team. So essentially we could practice one of the maps with more divisive strategy (Skyhammer, Spirit Watch, Courtyard), ensure a 50% chance it's picked when in rotation, and then really capitalize on our voip advantage.

Though I maintain that Courtyard would be improved if the entire map was converted to an underwater death match.

Though I maintain that Courtyard would be improved if the entire map was converted to an underwater death match.

I'd like it if *all* the maps had water variants that could be shuffled in, though an underwater Courtyard sounds fun. I really miss Raid on the Capricorn, I thought it was a great map, and really liked defending the underwater point. There was so much interesting stuff that could happen there, especially if people used the little tower that has an entrance nearby.

Retro

Shooting the shit during a Sorrow's Embrace Story run last night.

What if ArenaNet added a form of Alternative Advancement that was similar to dual-classing in GW1? You would still be your main class, but able to learn very specific parts from other classes and integrate them into your build. The idea that sparked it is an Engineer that studies under a Mesmer would get a new "Portal Gun" weapon kit.

So each profession would have a basic 'theme' and each profession would gain new skills or weapon choices based on that. An engineer who studies under a thief gains a "personal cloaking device" utility skill, but a thief who studies under an engineer gets to equip rifles.

You'd be able to mix and match from a variety ("Major in thief, minor in mesmer") to create a bunch of new build types. Thieves that use mesmer magic to create an illusionary double that hangs 10 feet behind them, Warriors with flaming guardian weapons, Rangers with re-animated pets. Could be a pretty cool way to add in flavor, bring some of the GW1 elements back in, etc.

/shrug. Anything is better than a level cap increase.

Ashodin

It would fit as well retro since Marjory has been training with Rox with greatswords

What if the new class rytlock got wasn't Ritualist, but Spiritualist? A twist on the class.

Goldrush

Have to say, I'm not totally enamored with the Vinewrath event, in that I've yet to see it. When I go to Silverwastes, I get dumped in an empty map where nobody is bothering to do anything, other than watching the LFG listings for a busy map to go to. Even "SW 50%" listings are "World Full" the instant I manage to find one to join.

So not only is the Silverwastes a barren wasteland for the most part, unless you luck into a map doing Vinewrath, you never get to complete it because there's nobody there to do it.

I think I'm going to hold off on playing for a while until the rush settles, and people start playing the game again instead of blindly chasing achivements and carrot armor.

Personally, starting from the beginning is easier than ever. Before, I have to grind with a few stragglers until at least the halfway point before the train jumps in. However, now, people starts jumping in at 10-20%.

Personally, starting from the beginning is easier than ever. Before, I have to grind with a few stragglers until at least the halfway point before the train jumps in. However, now, people starts jumping in at 10-20%.

I've just been unlucky I guess. I was defending red all by myself for like half an hour, the defense progress getting up to 15% with nobody defending the other camps, and nobody being at Red, before I gave up. I went over to the Skritt tunnel entrance to the new LS chapter, and there were ten people or more standing there, waiting for the tunnels to open. I went over to the skritt town - nobody was doing the event to open the tunnels.

It's like... everyone's collective IQ dropped 20 points with this chapter.

Ashodin

I think people assume there's other people always doing stuff, so they AFK where they want to be instead of doing what they need to be.

Mxrz

Charr dislike the notion of gods, spirits, ghosts, and the like. Rytlock would be an odd choice.

I wouldn't mind seeing Ritualist return (minus direct healing), but Engineers did steal their primary gimmick, even if engineers do seem more about tools than turrets. Their ash pot mechanic is missing from GW2, but that might be down to how clunky it could be.

But there's all sorts of possibilities for new things. Even stuff Utopia hinted at like the Chronomancer. Although it seems like all the Quickness & swiftness skills are already doing that sort of thing now. Back in GW1 it would've been pretty unique. Who knows what they're cooking up for GW2.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom