• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT4| The only subscription you need is this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wallach

Haha.

So who else is fucking amped for this weekend? I have a soon to be 80 ready to go and i am so excited to see what hot is all about.

I'm pretty interested. I'd like to see something that would pull me back into GW2 for a while. I'm mainly hoping to see what kind of class/combat changes the expansion brings.

Cathcart

Try reading that press release without hearing the Wintersday bell choir guy.

"For anyone who wants to level up their current characters or explore a new race and profession, your time is now."

Morokh

Double XP week-end .... mmh time to stop procrastinating on the character to level next I guess xD

With all the XP tomes I have + a level 20 scroll 1-80 should be doable over the week-end !

Levyne

Banned
I have a feeling Tomes will still be 1 level, but maybe not. I bet a lot of people are gonna be running lower dungeons (lots of AC) for bunchos of exp.

Quenk

Yeah I doubt that Tomes would be more than one level. I'll definitely log in on Sunday to level up my ele. She's 38 now so I should be able to run through a couple story paths at the very least.

5il3nc3r

Nice double xp, looks like I'll be playing a whole lot this weekend. To this day I still haven't done any dungeon runs with the guild so I hope there will be a bit more dungeoning this weekend, I am aiming for the dungeon master title. I hope there will be a big gemstore sale as well.

0guQGvP.jpg
Beneath the dust, there is a small inscription: "To the Winners of the 1320 Wintersday Tournament: Destiny's Edge. Last contestants standing: Rytlock Brimstone & Garm the wolf."

oh my...

EDIT: NSFW!http://i.imgur.com/bKaYRbg.gif

tumblr_inline_nbm4coeZGd1rf8mig.gif

Retro

Don't worry my thread won't take all the glitz and glamour from your hubbys thread.

Eh, it just means I've got to work the $9.99 news into the thread title, and it kind of comes off as redundant but... we'll see.

I guess GAF Guild 2 will be reborn soon with all the news hyping new people up...

...then horribly die again.

Eh, GAFO did what it needed to do. Besides, I'll be culling the guild today since I was busy earlier this week. We should have enough room for at least 100 more accounts by the end of the day, and there's no reason we can't cull a little more (I'm being generous and only going back 4 months).

Um, that's first one's a little NSFW, don't you think?

zulux21

alright, I need someone to convince me that buying a second account just to have 3 more character slots so I can have a character from every class is a bad idea ><;

as $10 for a second account, is tempting given that is the current price for a single character slot @_@.

Levyne

Banned
alright, I need someone to convince me that buying a second account just to have 3 more character slots so I can have a character from every class is a bad idea ><;

as $10 for a second account, is tempting given that is the current price for a single character slot @_@.

Sure, it's seems prudent. Just consider two things before you bite:

1.) The convenience of having all the characters on the same account (the value of this I suppose depends on the person)
2.) There might be some big gem store sales including character slots this weekend in addition to the game sale

Retro

It was tempting me for a while, but having characters on two accounts means nothing is shared. Achievements, Story Progress, and especially the wardrobe and wallet would be hard to start from scratch and keep separate.

Spyware

Got a makeover kit from a BL chest so I redid my sylvari mesmer

my goal was androgynous punk
You succeeded! What a cutie!
I changed to the same hair on my engie a few days ago :D

Hard to say if it's a good idea or not. It really depends on what kind of player you are. I know quite a few people with two accounts (one EU and one NA) and they seem to be fine with it, but they also don't buy many things from the gem store or collect stuff in game.

Depending on if they add more races and classes in the future I might have to do this since I'm getting dangerously close to the max character limit (please oh please raise this limit!), and I really don't like the idea. Having two accounts with separate account bound stuff would be so annoying for me. I'd go "I'll just use this skin on this cha... oh right I only have that on the other account. But this title! ...nope. I'll just grab my infinite tools... oh, right, nope." all the time :p and I'd have to pay double for outfits and other gem store stuff or be picky about what account gets what :/

zulux21

Sure, it's seems prudent. Just consider two things before you bite:

1.) The convenience of having all the characters on the same account (the value of this I suppose depends on the person)
2.) There might be some big gem store sales including character slots this weekend in addition to the game sale

I am hoping for a sale, and that could effect things. I would first look at that stuff.

It was tempting me for a while, but having characters on two accounts means nothing is shared. Achievements, Story Progress, and especially the wardrobe and wallet would be hard to start from scratch and keep separate.

I only have 40 hours on my main account and don't care much about my wardrobe, as for my wallet I only have like 5 gold anyways so it's not a huge restart, plus couldn't I do something like buy a decent value item from the trading post and then send it to my second account and get gold that way as long as i don't mind taking a 10% loss?

beyond that while there are minuses to the accounts not being shared there are pluses as well. For example the daily log ins would be on both accounts, so I could potentially make some of the cost back via the laurels you get from dailys.

on the flip side I would have to actually remember my password to log into each account ><;
Hard to say if it's a good idea or not. It really depends on what kind of player you are. I know quite a few people with two accounts (one EU and one NA) and they seem to be fine with it, but they also don't buy many things from the gem store or collect stuff in game.

Depending on if they add more races and classes in the future I might have to do this since I'm getting dangerously close to the max character limit (please oh please raise this limit!), and I really don't like the idea. Having two accounts with separate account bound stuff would be so annoying for me. I'd go "I'll just use this skin on this cha... oh right I only have that on the other account. But this title! ...nope. I'll just grab my infinite tools... oh, right, nope." all the time :p and I'd have to pay double for outfits and other gem store stuff or be picky about what account gets what :/

I'm far more in the second camp. I am likely never going to redesign my character because I just don't care, and unless I can afford it by converting money into gems I likely won't buy much off the gem store, as while I am tempted for something like infinite tools they aren't cheap and I am constantly going between 3 characters right now and it would be a pain to continue to give them to each character when ever I want to play them, thus I decided to just continue my keep an 8 bag slot full of extra tools plan going.

Spyware

plus couldn't I do something like buy a decent value item from the trading post and then send it to my second account and get gold that way as long as i don't mind taking a 10% loss?
Actually you could just make them share a storage guild and share everything that isn't account bound (like gold) for free. :)

beyond that while there are minuses to the accounts not being shared there are pluses as well. For example the daily log ins would be on both accounts, so I could potentially make some of the cost back via the laurels you get from dailys.
Yeah that is a good point.

zulux21

Actually you could just make them share a storage guild and share everything that isn't account bound (like gold) for free. :)

Yeah that is a good point.

ah good to know. The guild storage for the guild I created (to play with my friend, my main character is in the gaf guild) will not be done until tomorrow so I hadn't looked into it much yet.

Spyware

The inscription doesn't make sense to me because Rytlock and Garm were opposing sides.

Rylock, Logan, and Caithe were Edge of Steel and Eir and Garm, Snaff, and Zojja were Dragonspawn's Destiny...
They became Destiny's Edge in 1319 so the Tournament of 1320 must be something else.

They became Destiny's Edge in 1319 so the Tournament of 1320 must be something else.

They fought Kralkatorrik, lost and disbanded in 1320 though. And the tournament is listed as Winter.. so it's still rather odd.

I mean did they fight a bunch of Dragonspawn and Dragon Lieutenants then take a break for a Tournament and THEN fight Krally? Seems weird.

Spyware

They fought Kralkatorrik, lost and disbanded in 1320 though. And the tournament is listed as Winter.. so it's still rather odd.

I mean did they fight a bunch of Dragonspawn and Dragon Lieutenants then take a break for a Tournament and THEN fight Krally? Seems weird.
Yeah that was my first thought too, but winter here is basically one month at the end of the year and three-ish months at the start of the year so maybe it's the same in Tyria ;P I dunno.

Edit: Oh right, it even says Wintersday and we know that goes into the new year.

Jira

The $10 price has thrown a wrench into my theories about how this is going to work. It opens up a lot of different possibilities that I need to think about before posting. The double xp weekend also indicates HoT is MUCH closer than anyone thinks.

Ashodin

The $10 price has thrown a wrench into my theories about how this is going to work. It opens up a lot of different possibilities that I need to think about before posting. The double xp weekend also indicates HoT is MUCH closer than anyone thinks.
Yup yup

HoT releasing Saturday afternoon confirmed by Jira! :p

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
With a $10 base game I'd be pretty surprised if it wasn't a regularly priced expansion pack.

It's not out of the realm of possibility, but it would surprise me if they had a different business model.

I'll go out on a limb and guess the expac is out in April at latest, depending on which fiscal year NCSoft wants this in.

What would be the total cost of buying all the S2 episodes up to this point though?

I could see them using the angle of "You can play HoT as is but if you want to know how we got to this point buy the LS updates!"

I mean DCUO is sort of similar in how they offer their updates/dlc piece meal. Each one has story instances, dungeons, and a raid or two.

hythloday

My guess on the intent behind the double XP weekend is that they both want to give more of a carrot for people to buy the game now, and also give people a boost who are starting out who want to get to 80 to experience Season 2 content before HoT comes out.

And yeah I don't think we will have to wait too long.

zulux21

What would be the total cost of buying all the S2 episodes up to this point though?

I could see them using the angle of "You can play HoT as is but if you want to know how we got to this point buy the LS updates!"

I mean DCUO is sort of similar in how they offer their updates/dlc piece meal. Each one has story instances, dungeons, and a raid or two.

it's like $20 to buy all of the S2 episodes... as I think they are 200 each with 8 of them which makes 1600.

yeah, I can't imagine they are announcing a large free expansion and reducing the price to $10. The $10 price point is likely to just to try to get a bunch of people in while people are talking about the expansion and then the expansion will cost money or gems later (I am assuming or gems so people who have been playing a while could convert their gold into gems to possibly get the expansion at a reduced cost)

Wallach

yeah, I can't imagine they are announcing a large free expansion and reducing the price to $10. The $10 price point is likely to just to try to get a bunch of people in while people are talking about the expansion and then the expansion will cost money or gems later (I am assuming or gems so people who have been playing a while could convert their gold into gems to possibly get the expansion at a reduced cost)

I definitely would not expect the expansion upgrade to be available to purchase with gems.

zulux21

I definitely would not expect the expansion upgrade to be available to purchase with gems.

I have a single gem to my name (though I could get around 40 I think), so it won't matter much to me, but they do already have the premium account upgrade available via gems and all of the missed living story stuff so to me it doesn't seem beyond the realm of possibility that the expansion could be bought with gems.

Anno

As much as I would love to be able to purchase it with gems I can only imagine how crazy the gem/gold swap would go without some major changes.

Unless it's only like $10 or $20.

Thorgal

With a $10 base game I'd be pretty surprised if it wasn't a regularly priced expansion pack.

It's not out of the realm of possibility, but it would surprise me if they had a different business model.

I'll go out on a limb and guess the expac is out in April at latest, depending on which fiscal year NCSoft wants this in.

It is only a temporary sale , although i think this the lowest they have put the price .

Base game is still usually 39 &#8364; for basic and 60 &#8364; for the deluxe .
http://buy.guildwars2.com/store/gw2...uildwars2?_ga=1.91823196.757627049.1399112389

Not sure if we can detract from this that HOT is going to be a paid expansion .

Also i cannot see Anet Segregating their player base like that .

Lunar15

So what if it's just a new season?

What if everyone is just way overestimating what this is? I mean, they went two years saying that they didn't need paid expansions, and talked about how they were giving us more value than we could have received with an expansion.

I'm not saying they're wrong: they've given a lot. However, it sounds schizophrenic to go and release a paid expansion now.

Anno

I still think it could just be a mega-sized S3 with a mega-sized feature pack in between. Still basically an expansion but more in-line with how ANet works. Sadly people would probably complain en masse.

zulux21

Also i cannot see Anet Segregating their player base like that .

they could just run it like the living story.
someone who doesn't have the living story chapter can still play with someone who does, they just can't get the rewards.

so perhaps in this case you could play all of the expansion stuff, but can't earn any of the rewards or play any new class/races use new skills unless you get the expansion.

for the record I would be happy not to pay for an expansion and instead just buy some gems to support them, but they are clearly hyping up something that will be big and merely season 3 doesn't feel like that would be it.

Thorgal

So what if it's just a new season?

What if everyone is just way overestimating what this is? I mean, they went two years saying that they didn't need paid expansions, and talked about how they were giving us more value than we could have received with an expansion.

I'm not saying they're wrong: they've given a lot. However, it sounds schizophrenic to go and release a paid expansion now.

Who says it is Paid ? DUNN DUNN DUUUNNNN .
Collin : You can now download HOT for the cheap price of NOTHING right now !

I know nothing , just guessing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom